THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Look at what you indie kids have done now!  (Read 8094 times)

kikanjuuneko

Look at what you indie kids have done now!
« on: 12 Jul 2005, 15:27 »

I've been curious about Architecture In Helsinki I first heard the name. I mean, seriously, what kind of band do you have to be to name yourself that?

Well, after listening to salada's mix CD, I conclude it must be a very good band, and I feel some sort of strange urge to publicly declare that I fucking love Architecture In Helsinki.

Discuss!*

*Only added so the topic doesn't get closed immediately.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2005, 15:34 »

Well, Architecture in Helsinki are very good. Yes indeedy.

trolley

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2005, 16:24 »

Some of it is very good. But there's some tracks that just hit the wrong key with me. Maybe it's the brass. Owls Go and Fumble are two tracks I like.

Merkava

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2005, 16:57 »

I hate AiH. They had, like, 10 people playing a bazillion instruments and they STILL didn't get it right.

Garcin

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2005, 18:21 »

They are inventive and fun.  If they were a color, they would be a delicious watermelong green, so soothing and refreshing on a hot summer day.  I would like to see them live.  Admittedly, though, my enthusiasm waned when I found out that there connection with Helsinki is theoretical at best.  Which made me wonder -- am I a Finn-o-phile?

--Moiche

Merkava

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2005, 18:24 »

Quote from: Awkward Silence
I lovelovelove them.

@ Merkava: Oh goodness, you do not like what a band did! This holds sway over my opinion! I'm sorry, they suck now.

Oh goodness, I do not like what a band did! This happens to be an opinion! I'm sorry, your argument is out the window.

Garcin

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2005, 18:33 »

Yes, your punctuation was pugnacious.  

:-P

--Moiche

El Opium

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2005, 18:39 »

I've not formed an opinion on their music as I've yet to hear any, though early reports bely that I would likely find them far too sacharine for my taste. The name does elicit a degree of bias as they are named architecture in Helsinki yet are from Austrailia. In conclusion I would rather listen to a band who are actually from Helsinki or maybe Tampere.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2005, 18:49 »

I find them to be at tad boring, and for the fact that some of my favorite bands had ten or more people with billions of insturments (ZAPPA! BEEFHEART! WOO!) and that they did not live up to the awesome. That and it's a tad too poppy for me. But I have to admit, the video for Do The Whirlwind is kinda neat.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Clara

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2005, 19:02 »

KIDLINGS.

DON'T RUIN A PERFECTLY GOOD THREAD WITH ARGUMENTS.

THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING.

(ok continue)

Garcin

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2005, 19:20 »

Quote from: El Opium
I've not formed an opinion on their music as I've yet to hear any, though early reports bely that I would likely find them far too sacharine for my taste.

I have shocked myself with my ability to listen and enjoy to the Postal Service, which I think is waayyyy more saccharine than AiH, which is only to say that I didn't know how sweet I could go and still have fun.  A couple of weeks, ago, I summoned Hooverphonic into my system via the Madonna/whore that is Rhapsody.  An hour later I woke up on the floor.  The doctors said diabetic coma, but I think it may have been a self-defense mechanism designed to prevent my brain from remembering what I thought was totally rad 6 years ago.

--Moiche

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2005, 19:22 »

I don't know whether that was positive or negative because I've been hauling  lumber all week and I'm tired and have a headache, but that was awesome.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

saturnine1979

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2005, 19:46 »

"Wishbone" + "Spring 2008" + "Do The Whirlwind" + "Where You've Been Hiding" + ET ALL...

man, i love me some Architecture In Helsinki.
i'm a sucker for the twee pop.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2005, 20:04 »

i love Architecture in Helsinki.  i will be seeing them this August.  i said this about their last show, but it sold out.  this time for sure.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2005, 20:47 »

Better hurry, tickets for the Melbourne gig are already on sale.

Jarne

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2005, 21:44 »

Eight Australians with dozens of instruments. How can you NOT like them?

La Creme

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jul 2005, 22:34 »

Do any of you Australian sorts listen to The Cat Empire? They are awesome and swingin'.

What I've heard from architecture in Helsinki, I have liked. It's happy and fun and they like what they're playing and that really shows. They're a band of people who know how to play together and also combine a bunch of really unique ideas and motifs and whatnots into their music.

Cool bananas.

El Opium

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2005, 23:16 »

Just went to their site and listened to a bit of stuff. Didn't sit with me, turned my aural stomach in the same way as the Fiery Furnaces and had me reaching for the 'noise' folder in my MP3s like it was a bottle of antacids. Guess I'm allergic to pop, even indie pop.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: 12 Jul 2005, 23:58 »

As I said when I was very drunk once:

'Sing abuot Finniush Architeture you cnbutnas!"
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2005, 00:19 »

Finnish architecure is so awesome that no song can do it justice.

MilkmanDan

« Reply #20 on: 13 Jul 2005, 02:24 »

Quote from: El Opium
Just went to their site and listened to a bit of stuff. Didn't sit with me, turned my aural stomach in the same way as the Fiery Furnaces and had me reaching for the 'noise' folder in my MP3s like it was a bottle of antacids. Guess I'm allergic to pop, even indie pop.

You file your MP3's by genre?
Freak!

Anyway, I've only heard 2 or 3 songs, and they didn't inspire me to listen to more. Maybe I'll give 'em another go, but my main vibe was 'meh'.

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jul 2005, 02:40 »

Quote from: Jarne
Eight Australians with dozens of instruments. How can you NOT like them?

Yeah, I know! Tap dancing, dammit! Tap dancing!

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jul 2005, 02:46 »

Quote from: trolley
Some of it is very good. But there's some tracks that just hit the wrong key with me.

Amen brother.  Some of it goes a bit to far out there for me while other tracks are very well done.  I'm thinking it's great for costum play lists on my Zen Touch or for music ques when I have friends over but I don't see myself listening to the whole album to much.  I have to give them props for coming up with a unique sound though since that is hard to do these days.

QHD

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jul 2005, 05:40 »

I triple <3 bypass me some AiH! Caught their first Uk gig last week (big thanks to the dude who pointed it out here on the forum) and I am catching the last gig of their UK visit tomorrow eve!

R0X0R!!

BiCoastal Kid

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jul 2005, 16:21 »

AiH is an awesome band... more than likely my next purchase, whenever I get around to it.

Merkava

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jul 2005, 16:35 »

Quote from: Kai
I find them to be at tad boring, and for the fact that some of my favorite bands had ten or more people with billions of insturments (ZAPPA! BEEFHEART! WOO!) and that they did not live up to the awesome. That and it's a tad too poppy for me. But I have to admit, the video for Do The Whirlwind is kinda neat.

Hell YEAH for Zappa.

As for AiH, I just hate their sound. It all just blurred together upon first listening to their latest album. Plus, they have a more stupid-sounding lead singer than Sound Verite-era The Make Up.

Korlin

« Reply #26 on: 15 Jul 2005, 08:56 »

I love them so much I am forcing them on others by playing them when I do a DJ set in 2 weeks!

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #27 on: 15 Jul 2005, 16:24 »

Woo!
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

thermodynamics

« Reply #28 on: 15 Jul 2005, 22:53 »

AiH (for me) are hit and miss. when they hit, it is FUCKING INCREDIBLE! ...but when they miss... hit the skip button. i'd say i like 48.2846% of AiH music. in fact, yes, that is exactly how much of it i like. yes indeed.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #29 on: 17 Jul 2005, 06:21 »

I love them, i reckon they're adorable. I first saw them a little while back, doing an instore in JB HiFi in the city, and they were adorable. The way they looked on stage, the amount of fun they were having, the sheer amount of intruments was staggering.

I bought their latest CD and its great, i love the lead singers voice, its high and can be annoying to some but i think its great, and i love anything sung by one of the girls in the band. The Cemetry is one of my favourite track, and Wishbone sets me on fire.

8 happy Australians, singing happy and cutesy music. They're alright with me.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."
Pages: [1]   Go Up