THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: harry potter and the half blood prince - WITH SPOILERS  (Read 78459 times)

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
harry potter and the half blood prince - WITH SPOILERS
« Reply #100 on: 26 Jul 2005, 07:46 »

Quote from: Tactical Error
I just thought of another small thing to support the wild theory of Dumbledore's not being dead. Remember in Goblet of Fire that Moody said you have to really mean it for the Avada Kedavra curse to work. Well, Snape could have cast the spell without the desire to kill Dumbledore and to everyone watching it wouldn't look any different.

I think thats a good point. After all, when it was cast on Cedric Diggory, he didnt go flying, and neither did Harry's mum, so why did it with dumbledore?
My thinking is, without enough backing behind it it just has a similar effect as stupefy or expelliarmus, which just sent him flying.
Also, it would make sense that he feigned death to svae both snape and Malfoy. If snape intended to kill him, but didnt WANT to, his believing that Dumbledore was dead may have been enough to fulfill the vow.
I also have the sneaking suspicion that Dumbledore will be horucrux hunting as well, just not with Harry and Co.

Also, i hated the whole H+G thing. There was no inkling of intrest in Ginny from harry until this book, and then hes freaking batshit for her. It seemed near the end, Rowling thought, "Bah, that was stupid, fuck it" and just broke it off. And for some reason i always saw Ginny as so much younger and less mature than harry even though they were only a year apart.

AND HERMIONE AND RON STILL HAVENT HOOKED UP! ZOMG!
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Aphi

« Reply #101 on: 26 Jul 2005, 07:48 »

Quote from: neomang5

AND HERMIONE AND RON STILL HAVENT HOOKED UP! ZOMG!

Quoted for emphasis.

deborah

« Reply #102 on: 26 Jul 2005, 09:42 »

i always thought harry and ginny was obvious from the second they announced she had a crush on him
plus they look like miniature versions of his parents (in the movies at least)

plus i think ron and hermione have had the unspoken agreement to hook up since viktor left town
at least they seemed to have some kind of understanding about it during book five
i figure in book six, ron is just being stupid with lavender and hasn't realized that resistance is futile.  i mean, he's been acting like a jealous little twit about hermione since book four.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
« Reply #103 on: 26 Jul 2005, 09:47 »

Quote from: deborah
i always thought harry and ginny was obvious from the second they announced she had a crush on him
plus they look like miniature versions of his parents (in the movies at least)

Hooray for creeping me out more about it!
Sorry, but if me and my girlfriend looked like young versions of my parents that would scare me on so many levels.
Plus, everyone knew she liked him at one point, but she had pretty much no obvious interest in books 4 and 5, as she had Dean and other boys.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

deborah

« Reply #104 on: 26 Jul 2005, 10:01 »

i don't know...there's always the old adages about boys wanting a girl just like dear old mom, and girls marrying men just like their fathers, etc.

it just seemed like a good symmetry within the books, and using basic stereotypes about how boys and girls behave, it made a lot of sense that their relationship went down the way it did.  you know, girls playing hard to get, boys' perfect girls sitting under their noses the entire time...

and i think that as people get older, being like their parents isn't as offensive as it seems when growing up.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #105 on: 26 Jul 2005, 12:55 »

Quote from: moley
Here's something which nobody has yet pointed out - Dumbledore knew for many years about the curse which Voldemort put on the DADA jeorb, so why did Dumbledore give Snape the job? Did he know that Snape is really just an evil git, but this was the best way to get rid of him? Did Snape need an excuse to get out of the school without alerting Voldemort himself?

What I'd like to know is the following:
1) Voldemort opened the Chamber of Secrets 50 years before Harry's second year at school. AND...
2) He was in his fifth year at the time. So he graduated 48 years before Harry's second year, or 47 years before Harry's arrival. AND...
3) He went to work soon after at Borgin & Burke's. He must have held that post for about two years in order to rise from clerk to buyer, and to get that close to Hepzibah. So he stole the locket 45 years before Harry's arrival at Hogwarts. AND...
4) Dumbledore said that 10 years elapsed between his disappearance from Borgin & Burke's and his return to Hogwarts. And the curse on the DADA position began on that day. SO...

That's 35 years between the time the curse begins and the time Harry begins taking Dark Arts lessons from Quirrel. Where on Earth did Dumbledore find 35 teachers in that entire time span? Wouldn't word get out that the position was really, REALLY, REALLY jinxed? How many other teachers ended up dead, with addled brains or exposed as undesirables in the 35 years before Harry showed up?

Also, I think that it is theoretically possible that Harry will be the next Defense of the Dark Arts teacher. Yes, he has vowed that he won't go back to Hogwarts. But since the board may be pushing to close the school, and parents are worried about the safety of their kids with Dumbledore gone, the only thing that will appease everyone is if the Dark Arts position is offered to The Chosen One.

Harry might bend to McGonagall's persuasion if the position gives him special dispensation, such as unfettered access to Dumbledore's portrait and permission to Apparate anywhere to pursue the Horcruxes when he's not in class. And he already has experience teaching the position...

Working against this theory is the fact that the curse against the DADA position is still in effect. A lot of people know by now about the Harry vs. Voldemort prophesy, and putting these two facts together will ensure that placing Harry in that position will definitely set in motion the final confrontation between the two. And although we, reading the books, know that the final confrontation will take place at the end of Book 7, the characters in the books don't know that. They'd be extremely reluctant to force an early confrontation, trying to put it off as long as possible.

My thoughts, anyway.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

jaceofwater

« Reply #106 on: 26 Jul 2005, 15:04 »

I bet J.K. rowling is reading this thread, just to make sure nothing we say happens.

So on that note, harry dies, voldemort wins, the wizarding world stays hidden (I'm surprised nobody has considered that yet) and a weird witch with flying monkeys shows up.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #107 on: 26 Jul 2005, 16:42 »

Quote from: jaceofwater
harry dies, voldemort wins, the wizarding world stays hidden (I'm surprised nobody has considered that yet) and a weird witch with flying monkeys shows up.

And their love child is .... ?
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

jaceofwater

« Reply #108 on: 26 Jul 2005, 16:42 »

Ron! It's a time loop!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #109 on: 29 Jul 2005, 14:25 »

I bet J.K. rowling is reading this thread, just to make sure nothing we say happens.

Rowling already wrote out the whole story arc before she wrote the first book. Sure, she's adding details as she does the individual, but the thing is that she already knows how it's all going to end. Unlike Jeph.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Aphi

« Reply #110 on: 29 Jul 2005, 14:27 »

She is the /anti/ Jeph.

Fear her preparedness.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #111 on: 29 Jul 2005, 14:36 »

Yep. If Jeph and J.K. Rowling ever shook hands, they would annihiliate one another in an explosion of PURE AWESOME.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
QC/Potter crossover
« Reply #112 on: 29 Jul 2005, 15:41 »

Quote from: Switchblade
Yep. If Jeph and J.K. Rowling ever shook hands, they would annihiliate one another in an explosion of PURE AWESOME.

No, what would happen is they would exchange energy, and that would spill over into their respective work. So Steve would become whiny, Dora would become even more of a know-it-all than she already is when it comes to sex, and Faye would find a few interesting uses for her wand.

Rowling, meanwhile, would wonder why she's suddenly having Hermione make out with the DJ at the lesbian club in Hogsmeade, while Ron and Harry are listening to The Warlock Sisters. And Neville would suddenly have a laser in his tummy.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
« Reply #113 on: 29 Jul 2005, 16:28 »

LeeZion wins the thread.

MoiraFae

« Reply #114 on: 29 Jul 2005, 18:46 »

Quote from: neomang5
LeeZion wins the thread.

Second'd!

jaceofwater

« Reply #115 on: 29 Jul 2005, 22:12 »

Why is neville pintsize?

Luke

« Reply #116 on: 30 Jul 2005, 00:27 »

Because of his round head.

TheCourtJester

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!
Re: More thoughts on HP6
« Reply #117 on: 31 Jul 2005, 03:38 »

Quote from: LeeZion

(I figured it out! With a pencil and a pad I figured it out! Only five years from today, Only five years from today...)

Coolness points to the first person who figures out where the above quote comes from.

Lee Zion

From "The Pajama Game"
"...is the game we're in, and
we're proud to be in the Pajama game
we love it, we
can hardly wait to wake and
get to work at eight.
Nothin's quite the same as the pa-
ja-ama game!"

[/offtopic]

I just finished reading it this morning. Unfortunately I already figured dumbledore would be the one to die...since they have a bad habit of putting characters that DIE on the covers of the books.

The only part of the story that really made me think "oh, weaaaak" was the whole H&G for two chapters then *poof* over.

PoA will always be my favorite, since 1) It was the first one I'd recieved (christmas present just after it came out)and therefore read. I started out of order *shame* and 2) It's teh book in the series where you start to think maybe it'snot entirely a kid's book. It started getting much more complex and rather...dark. If the movie had been done closer to the book, it wouldn't have been able to get the "PG" rating it got. HBP cerainly wont...blood gushing from people, lakes of zombies, snogging...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

My three favorite characters were always Sirius, Dumbledore, and Lupin. If Lupin dies in the next book I'ma be pissed.
The sad thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

Wulfen

« Reply #118 on: 31 Jul 2005, 08:19 »

I was struck by a peculier idea when i thought of how Harry would return to HW after his intent is *not* to. It thought: what if hes forced into attacking hogwarts. Final battle with an entrenched VM sort of thing. It makes the most sence as a Final Battlefield and keeps hogwarts in the picture.
At least it sounds better then some of the more crazy ideas i had *coughdursleyscough*

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #119 on: 31 Jul 2005, 20:45 »

Quote from: Wulfen
what if hes forced into attacking hogwarts. Final battle with an entrenched VM sort of thing. It makes the most sence as a Final Battlefield and keeps hogwarts in the picture.

Actually, it makes more sense if Harry is forced to defend Hogwarts.

Oh, and The CourtJester does get the coolness points for figuring out that the quote came from the Broadway musical The Pajama Game.

Wulfen

« Reply #120 on: 01 Aug 2005, 04:47 »

i meant attacking as in the absence of Dumbeleedor emboldens the death eaters to the point of taking over Hogwarts. like a hostage situation and Potter to the rescue. Attacking the DE who now control the school. meh just a thought.

The Neko

« Reply #121 on: 04 Aug 2005, 07:07 »

Quote from: deborah
i don't know...there's always the old adages about boys wanting a girl just like dear old mom, and girls marrying men just like their fathers, etc.

Sounds so much like incest im totally grossed out...

And for another flashback on the Avada Kedavra, Moody also said their had to be a great deal of power behind the persons wand... Iv never thaught of Snape as powerful, since he mostly uses his wits and his mind to fight. Dumbledore might have petrified Harry so he wouldn't attack Snape or Draco. Dumbledore said he already knew that Draco was trying to kill him so wouldn't he have put measures up that would prevent that? Theirs no doubt that he is gone, but couldn't he come back? Since so many people wouldn't be able to let him go he couldn't cross over or anything...

Iv been all over J.K's web site and I found out a few things that are really cool... Dija know that the bartender at the hogs head is Dumbledores brother? Really wierd...

and I wonder where Fontescue and Olivander went...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will write more when I remember what I was gonna write next...

heretic

« Reply #122 on: 04 Aug 2005, 07:19 »

I just finished it, and was disappointed. i read 5 and 6 consecutively, and i didin't much like either of them. though i couldn't put it down. damnit, i suck.

The Texas Hero

« Reply #123 on: 04 Aug 2005, 19:37 »

I think harry knocked up ginny. voldemort tries to kill Harry Jr, ginny steps in and gets owned.

Then harry and Voldemort have a hardcore 4 chapter death match where they use every spell ever mentioned. When its all said and done, they'll both be exhausted. They'll look at each other and harry will say "what are we fighting for?!"... Voldemort reveals that he has in fact had a crush on Ginny and couldnt stand the fact that harry knocked her up. they embrace and go to the three broomsticks for a couple fire whiskeys. Voldemort slips a love potion in harrys drink when he's going to the jukebox to play some johnny cash. They fall in love and live happily ever after.

jaceofwater

« Reply #124 on: 05 Aug 2005, 01:35 »

...I'm tempted both to award you for creativity and disturbingness and to damn you to hell for implying a happy ending. (no pun intended.)

There's been a lot of talk about snape's being all good and stuff, but did anyone ever think that just maybe he really is just an ass?

The Texas Hero

« Reply #125 on: 05 Aug 2005, 01:42 »

I'm leaning toward the fact that he is just a sperm dumpster. But it that would probably throw EVERYONE for a loop if it turned out to be the exact opposite.

Like if snape killed voldemort right before he finished harry off.

Think about it. Harry and he who shall not be named are having a hardcore death spell match. Snape walks in and just owns both of them. Snape then says that he tried to save harry but It was too late. Then snape becomes minister of magic, and releases a hardcore potion into the water supply VIA microwave transmition and everyone dies.

And snape just chills in the wizarding world all alone. All emo like.

jaceofwater

« Reply #126 on: 05 Aug 2005, 01:48 »

No, snape destroys the magic legal system and brings wizarding into the world of the muggles. Soon lots of people who werent really wizards are burned at the stake, and then the world gets a lot better cuz magical jumping frog-candies solve all problems.

That would be totally hilarious if something from fred&george's shop ended up saving the world.

The Texas Hero

« Reply #127 on: 05 Aug 2005, 01:54 »

This randomly just popped into my head as my favorite harry potter moment of all time.

At the end of one of hte chapters in TOTP whenever dumbelldore escapes from the minestry and one of the paintings of the former headmasters goes

"You know...i dont agree with albus on much. BUt you gotta admit he's got style."

The only part of the series that actually made me crack up.

The Texas Hero

« Reply #128 on: 05 Aug 2005, 01:54 »

No, snape destroys the magic legal system and brings wizarding into the world of the muggles. Soon lots of people who werent really wizards are burned at the stake, and then the world gets a lot better cuz magical jumping frog-candies solve all problems.

That would be totally hilarious if something from fred&george's shop ended up saving the world.

haha. Harry defeats Voldemort with a fanged frisbee.

The Neko

« Reply #129 on: 05 Aug 2005, 06:13 »

Or while Harry is fighting Voldy, Neville comes into the fray wearing Harry's Invis cloak and completly owns him with rictensempra: *the tickeling curse*
and Harry uses that curse he accidentaly used on Malfoy *The sword slash one* Killing him in miniouts.

heretic

« Reply #130 on: 05 Aug 2005, 06:29 »

SectemSempra was the sword slash one.
also, Snape is good, he's gotta be, would Rowling pass up the chance to flop the reader all over on the snape issue more?

you know what i realized on this last one? i thinki i would like a harry potter without voldemort better. i mean, there's gotta be other shit for him to worry about. heros don't only have one bad guy, usually. and personally i'm sick of Voldy. after the next one i hope he's dead and they have someone else to worry about

Aphi

« Reply #131 on: 05 Aug 2005, 07:13 »

=points at Heretic's post=

Actually, I think that's a pretty good idea. Then again, it's /not/ only Voldemort they have to worry about---there are, after all, his lackeys.

That's what interested me, when we learned some of the backstory. When Voldemort fell the first time, the Death Eaters went into a bit of a frenzy of killing et cetera.

Hmmm...and I wonder about Grindelwald? Is he /dead/? Aside from a passing mention on a chocolate frog card, it never said what became of him after he was 'defeated'.

heretic

« Reply #132 on: 05 Aug 2005, 07:33 »

i've always enjoyed the times that had nothing to do with th ecentral conflict infinatly moer than the actual mystery solving and whatnot.
the backstory was cool, but having it in pieces really disrupted the flow of the book for me. then transition just did feel good.

The Texas Hero

« Reply #133 on: 05 Aug 2005, 07:37 »

Personally I think they both are gonna die in the next one.

Or Harry kills voldemort. I just dont see voldemort killing harry.

Maybe if harry kills Voldemort, his scar will go away?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #134 on: 05 Aug 2005, 09:38 »

Yeah, I can't see the series ending with "PREPARE FOR THE APOCALYPSE FOR THE DARK LORD IS UNSTOPPABLE RAAAR".

Oh, I read the book; my parents sent it up a couple of days after it came out. I was pretty sad that Dumbledore died, and I don't quite see the previously discussed Obi-Wan connection since there's a major difference: Obi-Wan promised that it would make him stronger, while Dumbledore merely pleaded for his life.

And Snape is a turd-face.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Aphi

« Reply #135 on: 05 Aug 2005, 09:51 »

Dumbledore did /not/ plead for his life!

Okay, so all the evidence points at it, but I just don't think he would, after all that preaching he did.

deborah

« Reply #136 on: 05 Aug 2005, 10:06 »

i was re-reading chamber of secrets the other day and i got to the end where dumbledore says that voldemort left some of his powers in harry when he tried to kill him
so i think harry is one of the horcruxes and harry's going to have to nobly sacrifice himself like arnold schwarzeneggar in T2, lowering himself into a cauldron of liquid metal, with ginny and hermione and ron crying on the sidelines, all of them looking buff like linda hamilton.

Aphi

« Reply #137 on: 05 Aug 2005, 10:23 »

I don't disagree that Harry might be a horcrux, but I think it happened in OOTP, when Voldemort went /into/ him, remember that?

deborah

« Reply #138 on: 05 Aug 2005, 10:47 »

maybe harry *used* to be a horcrux, and when voldemort went into harry in #5, he took his soul bits back out.
it would explain why harry doesn't have some freaky-ass emotional bond with him anymore (occlumens and legilimens theories be damned)

Aphi

« Reply #139 on: 05 Aug 2005, 10:48 »

I still wanna know why dumbledore had that 'oddly triumphant' gleam in his eye when harry told 'im that Voldemort had taken his blood.

How is /that/ significant?

deborah

« Reply #140 on: 05 Aug 2005, 10:52 »

maybe it's just the spark of humanity voldemort will need to turn into a force for the good at the end of the series.  sort of like a darth vader-redemption thingy.

or maybe harry isn't really the child of james and lily after all.  maybe harry is like dawn in buffy and he's the physical manifestation of some wicked ass energy ball that can be used as a key to unlock the hells and loose them on earth.

Aphi

« Reply #141 on: 05 Aug 2005, 11:01 »

=laughs= That would be AWESOME.

Or, we could turn it into a soap-opera. Like, maybe, Lil had an affair with Snape, and even though he looks like James, Harry is /really/ a mini-slimeball, and in a fit of realization and righteous rage, blows all the bad guys to smithereens, crying like a two-year-old the whole time.

^^

deborah

« Reply #142 on: 05 Aug 2005, 12:00 »

my friend hannah and i used to make up off-color scenarios about the professors love lives while we rode the bus to work.

we had a dumbledore-pomfrey-flitwick love triangle, and trelawney with lockhart (purely for irony's sake, what with the ill-fated thompson/branaugh marriage and all)

i've been poking around some potter fan sites.  man do those people take their harry potter seriously.

trolley

« Reply #143 on: 05 Aug 2005, 13:08 »

Just finished it. And firstly, le wow. I can't wait for the next one, and at the same time dread it as then it will finally be over which will suck.

A couple of points, that I don't think have really been mentioned before.

1) People keep referring to hogwarts next year  and the DADA position. Am i the only one who got a reallfeeling of "readying for war" from the final book? Esecially from the final pages. I really see the next book as the call to arms of wizards, where the dark clouds swirl up above as everyone prepares for one BADASS fight. If it was an hollywood film, it would have a rousing speech by someone followed by a quick montage of wizards grabbing weapons from racks and getting armoured up with Eye of the tiger playing in the background.

I certainly don't see Harry returning to Hogwarts. I got the impression it would be a frodo-style mission across mountains, oceans etc.

2) I'm sure i remember reading somewhere that Rowling said the final book is where the Wizarding world and Muggle world collide. The foundation's where laid at the beginning of Half Blood Prince, and I see it as a very natual progression, if we're to assume that this reign of Voldemort will be even worse than the first.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #144 on: 05 Aug 2005, 14:00 »

Yeah, Harry says he isn't returning to Hogwarts. He might, briefly, to rouse some kind of army, but I see the entire final book as being, basically, a war. Or a quest. Maybe a war-quest.

Was anyone else a wee bit suprised that Harry tried to use Unforgivable Curses on Snape, by the way?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

The Texas Hero

« Reply #145 on: 05 Aug 2005, 16:24 »

Yeah. I think if they go to war, harry is gonna prove he's the chosen one. He's gonna give like a 10 minute long kevin costner speech, and then everyones gonna rally around him and fight all the death eaters and whatnot.

I cant wait to see Hagrid and Grawp wreck shop if they fight the giants.

tritoch

FELIX FELICIS
« Reply #146 on: 06 Aug 2005, 00:02 »

How did Hermione/Ron and the rest of the D.A (err luna, ginny and neville) messed up the night Dumbledore died?

They couldn't go wrong and yet everything went wrong that night (except for the lucky spell/hex dodging)

So Snape HAD to kill Dumbledore, it was meant to be that way i guess.

Wulfen

« Reply #147 on: 06 Aug 2005, 01:55 »

also in support of the snape is good: theres a part earlier in THBP where hagrid overhears Dumbledore and Snape arguing and Dumbledore tels snape that e promised. You could interpret this as a snippet of a snape confessing to dumbledore about the unbreakable vow(promise). And dumbledores angry cuz he wants snape to kill him and snape dosnt ant to and blah blah so on and so forth.
*edit: Also this means that the plea in the tower was for snape to do the killin and giving malfoy a chance at redemtion

The Texas Hero

« Reply #148 on: 06 Aug 2005, 02:13 »

But even if Snape is good....whos going to convince harry?

Wulfen

« Reply #149 on: 06 Aug 2005, 02:16 »

Who knows. I would rather see him snuff it thou. Or if not, an act of redemption on the convince dumbledore scale
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up