THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music suggestions  (Read 5012 times)

CarbonatedWeasel

Music suggestions
« on: 07 Sep 2005, 17:55 »

I really havent listened to much indie music ever, or at least not with knowing so,  and up untill I read through QC I havent really wanted to. I really just listen to alot of ska and punk music, I recently have listened to a little dinosaur Jr. (saw them in a QC) and I think they are pretty good. I was just wondering: what are some good indie bands to listen to.  Sorry if this topic has been brought up already.

soak

Music suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2005, 18:01 »

Start with the Pixies, I recommend Surfer Rosa and Doolittle.

jarofflies

Music suggestions
« Reply #2 on: 07 Sep 2005, 18:10 »

I have to say Dispatch and State Radio. Dispatch holds the record I think for the biggest crowd in indie music history, at their farewell concert I believe it was.

La Creme

Music suggestions
« Reply #3 on: 07 Sep 2005, 20:13 »

Go straight to blowing your mind completely with The Sugarplastic's "Bang, The Earth Is Round" and "Will". Also, hit up Eels' "Beautiful Freak"*, and also Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"**, plus Pinback's "Blue Screen Life" and Pavement's "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain".

Enjoy! Don't become a snob or I will come to your house and stapple gun your face. To something... degrading.

*Not so much Indie as just FUCKING TERRIFIC!
**Ditto.

soak

Music suggestions
« Reply #4 on: 07 Sep 2005, 20:18 »

I would reccomend Daisies of the Galaxy over Beautiful Freak, but thats just me, both are great albums.

Also check out anything by Sigur Ros.

La Creme

Music suggestions
« Reply #5 on: 07 Sep 2005, 21:05 »

I listened to the Eels CD's first in chronological order (started listeneing about 1 month before the release of Shootenanny!) so I'm a little biased about how to get into them.

Um, I think that Daisies... actually is the best first choice. Then go for Electro Shock Blues. ESB is definately their/E's masterpeice, but if you listen to it first, you will definately assume that Eels are emo. Which is more than totally untrue. So yeah. Daisies.

SpacemanSpiff

Music suggestions
« Reply #6 on: 08 Sep 2005, 06:28 »

I would also recommend Polvo (legal, free MP3 here). And North of Am- *gets beaten to death for whoring around that band again*

Praeserpium Machinarum

Music suggestions
« Reply #7 on: 08 Sep 2005, 07:27 »

whenever you say north of america I think of Shellac - Prayer to God, and what a great song it is. So I recommend Shellac for Albini-sharp-as-a-razor-rock!

Saturday

Music suggestions
« Reply #8 on: 08 Sep 2005, 07:46 »

if you came from ska and punk music, and liked dinosaur jr, go to the pavement / pixies route.

mediocrity_wire

Music suggestions
« Reply #9 on: 08 Sep 2005, 08:00 »

Wolf Eyes

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Music suggestions
« Reply #10 on: 08 Sep 2005, 13:42 »

The Residents.

They're better than all these bands COMBINED.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Merkava

Music suggestions
« Reply #11 on: 08 Sep 2005, 17:00 »

Except for that fact that I don't like The Residents, but that's just my opinion. I mean, really, I also think that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is a boring and overly long. I guess you can't trust me.

Anyway, I'd recommend Pavement, The Pixies, and Modest Mouse to start out with. They're kind of branching out points on the Indie tree, at least for some.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Music suggestions
« Reply #12 on: 08 Sep 2005, 17:39 »

Agreed. Pavement and the Pixies are pretty good starting points.

Pikka Bird

Music suggestions
« Reply #13 on: 08 Sep 2005, 17:54 »

Quote from: La Creme
[Electro Shock Blues] is definately their/E's masterpeice, but if you listen to it first, you will definately assume that Eels are emo. Which is more than totally untrue.

Emo? Nah... Emotional, and lots of that, but I think emo has been applied to pretty much everything by now, most of it whiny, thirteen-yearold bullplop.

ESB has pretty much the best buildup I have ever heard. If you know the backstory (basically, E is the last living member of his entire family), you'll undoubtedly feel how the album was an immediate reaction to all the chaos that's sure to erupt in a guy's mind at times like the ones he found himself in. Yet, it doesn't have any kind of "I'll cry forever and ever and ever and ever and ev..."-kind of mood. Rather, it's reassuring, uplifting and pleasant (provided you listen to the whole thing, without skipping songs- some find Hospital Food too messy/noisy).

Shellac has been mentioned. So do it.

Other stuff I can recommend would be:
-Jeff Buckley (He's pretty straightforward, but delve into his stuff and hopefully, you'll discover the same richness of spirit and musical brilliance that I and many others have)
-Kira And The Kindred Spirits (rock n' roll/garage/blues/soul... I guess)
-Mew
-Kashmir (Okay, this is more alt-rock. than indie, but brilliantacular, I promise)
-Interpol, of course. Goes without saying, so I'm typing it instead.
-Swans
-Naked Lunch
-Joy Zipper, possibly...

...And while you're at it, get yourself hooked on Tom Waits, though there's not much indie in that guy.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Music suggestions
« Reply #14 on: 08 Sep 2005, 18:06 »

Yeah what everyone else has said...though I'd also recommend:

Swervedriver
Ride
My Bloody Valentine
Late 80's/Early 90's Sonic Youth (Like from Sister to Washing Machine)

and then sort of go from there.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Music suggestions
« Reply #15 on: 08 Sep 2005, 19:04 »

Quote from: Merkava
Except for that fact that I don't like The Residents, but that's just my opinion. I mean, really, I also think that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is a boring and overly long. I guess you can't trust me.

That's because Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is boring. and long.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

El Opium

Stupid snobby namedrop
« Reply #16 on: 08 Sep 2005, 19:53 »

JLM and Spacemanspiff are right on the letter. It's especially awesome to see someone reccomeding Polvo, all of their stuff is great. Few bands I really love:

Sonic Youth
Big Black
Slint
Slowdive
Chavez
Swell Maps
Wire
The Comsat Angels
The Fire Show (all their stuff is free for legal download on their singer Michael Lenzi's site)
Wipers
Meat Puppets
Can
Kraftwerk

If you're willing to risk a musical kick in the pants or being weirded out:
Skullflower
Growing
Birchville Cat Motel
Avarus
Charalambides
(Wolf Eyes and Swans would fall in this category too)

mediocrity_wire

Music suggestions
« Reply #17 on: 08 Sep 2005, 20:46 »

I was totally kidding.
I don't know how anyone can like Wolf Eyes.

Freezey

Music suggestions
« Reply #18 on: 08 Sep 2005, 20:54 »

Wolf Eyes sounds like a band I'd stick into my alarm clock CD player if I had to make sure to wake up at 5AM without falling asleep again. If Wolf Eyes just started playing in the middle of the night, my first instinct would probably be to shoot myself in the face.

AAANYWAYS. Anything "indie" I listen to has already been mentioned here, and I'd chalk up another vote for the pavement/pixies route.

tails

Music suggestions
« Reply #19 on: 09 Sep 2005, 00:01 »

Quote from: La Creme
I listened to the Eels CD's first in chronological order (started listeneing about 1 month before the release of Shootenanny!) so I'm a little biased about how to get into them.

Um, I think that Daisies... actually is the best first choice. Then go for Electro Shock Blues. ESB is definately their/E's masterpeice, but if you listen to it first, you will definately assume that Eels are emo. Which is more than totally untrue. So yeah. Daisies.

How is that Blinking Lights album?

Praeserpium Machinarum

Music suggestions
« Reply #20 on: 09 Sep 2005, 05:33 »

Well I like it, basically it's a really huge chunk of E, but honestly I thought the first I heard by him, Shootenanny!, was better. Mainly because it was a lighter album than Blinking Lights, while the Eesque humour is still there, it's not as predominant. Secondly due to the biograthic content it has it's dark points, but what is wonderful about E is that he never resolves to sulking. So it's a good album, but both a long and a heavy listen, it takes time to digest.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Music suggestions
« Reply #21 on: 09 Sep 2005, 06:28 »

Sounds like exactly what I'm after at the moment.

I would recommend Beck. Seriously, if theres nothing you like out of Odelay, Seachange or Guero you've probably got some serious problems.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

SpacemanSpiff

Re: Stupid snobby namedrop
« Reply #22 on: 09 Sep 2005, 06:41 »

Quote from: El Opium
JLM and Spacemanspiff are right on the letter. It's especially awesome to see someone reccomeding Polvo, all of their stuff is great.

Polvo is a great band, but it's impossible to get my hands on their stuff over here in Germany and I'm thinking about importing it. Any idea what album I should get?
Pages: [1]   Go Up