THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 06:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wowsers!  (Read 4874 times)

notbraveorproud

wowsers!
« on: 21 Jul 2005, 19:57 »

i listen to dashboard confessional. should i be ashamed?

Maui

wowsers!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2005, 19:59 »

hey, you know that fun thread entitled "I Like Shitty Music"?
That is a much better spot for it ;-)

notbraveorproud

wowsers!
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2005, 20:05 »

Quote from: Maui
hey, you know that fun thread entitled "I Like Shitty Music"?
That is a much better spot for it ;-)

yikes this was supposed to go in that thread actually
im kinda new to this whole forum thing so i dont really know how to work everything. haha thanks

Maui

wowsers!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2005, 20:19 »

no prob. Also, quoting the person above you is a no go. Just looking out for your welfare so you dont get electronically beat up is all......

SeanBateman

wowsers!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2005, 20:22 »

::Cracks Electronic Knuckles::

Maui

wowsers!
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2005, 20:23 »

haha. Everyone is going to be all riled up now too. Random fun on this
forum is dying.....
thats alright though, i like this forum too much to leave

sp2

Re: wowsers!
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2005, 23:14 »

Quote from: notbraveorproud
i listen to dashboard confessional. should i be ashamed?

No, but you should look into options.  Like the 13 knot noose in the closet option.

SeanBateman

wowsers!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2005, 23:22 »

Hey man I Like Dashboard too. Step Off

Maui

wowsers!
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2005, 23:23 »

Yea, what happened to tolerating others tastes in music? I mean, just cause you like one certain genre doesnt mean the rest of the world cant enjoy other music. *sigh* Happy thoughts.......

sp2

wowsers!
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2005, 23:34 »

The problem with Dashboard is this.  I have nothing against writing a song about a girl who dumped you.  Songs are based on emotions, and break-ups can be really emotional (you also spend most of the time post-break-up drunk, and alcohol is many a person's muse).  However, when you build an entire career writing about your ex, there's a problem.  Dashboard is one of those bands where either their lyrics are completely insincere, or the singer really needs to go in and get therapy so he can move the fuck on.

While I can excuse the EXISTENCE of Dashboard, I don't really see an excuse for the popularity of Dashboard.  Plenty of DC fans are in perfectly happy relationships, or their singledom is self-imposed.  Whining about how all members of the opposite sex (or same sex) have broken your heart and you'll never be loved when you're in a committed relationship, or when YOU did the dumping in your last break-up is bullshit.  While I can accept irony or liking music in spite of lyrics that don't follow your personal feelings (I love AC/DC for various reasons, but that doesn't mean I share their views on women), Dashboard has little to offer BESIDES their lyrics.

Maui

wowsers!
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2005, 23:38 »

gah, i didnt even read your rant. Its as simple as this, dont listen to them if you dont like them. Wow, what a concept. People arent going to change their musical tastes because of your opinion, and frankly, im quite sick of you complaining about every artist you dont like. I hope this isnt taken badly by anyone, its just aggravating to see this same rant on the music threads day after day.

sp2

wowsers!
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2005, 23:59 »

Hey Maui, try this one for size:

Grow the fuck up.

QC is, as I think Se7en pointed out in another thread, about making snarky comments about bands you don't respect.  Jeph has done EXACTLY what I just did in his comics.  A lot.

Not only that, but the entire indie music scene is about having strong opinions about various bands.  This is a predominantly indie forum.  Thus, any thread about any given band will have one or two people saying they're not impressed by that band.  If I were to post a thread about even an indie darling band like Arcade Fire, someone would have something snarky to say (probably "overrated" and "their EP wasn't really all that listenable").

Finally, there were strong ironic undertones (and oh man is irony an indie thing) in my initial comment.  Dashboard is music to attempt suicide to, because it's all about "oh shit my life sucks because a girl broke up with me."  Thus, my suggestion of hanging one's self in the closet is supposed to be ironic, not only because Dashboard fans are depressed, but also because hanging one's self is a particularly dramatic and ineffective means of attempting suicide.  God, I hate explaining jokes, it's always fucking obnoxious.

Then, of course, you turned out a "be tolerant" rant.  "Be tolerant" rants piss me off more than anything, because A) I'm not telling anyone what to like or not like, I'm just poking some relatively harmless fun at a band that deserves it and B) it shows that you lack a sense of humor, and C) it is an example of someone (i.e. you) trying to prove that you're more mature than everyone else when this isn't really a matter of maturity in the first place.  It is a mildly deprecating joke.  Either it's funny and you laugh, or it's not funny, and you roll your eyes and go on with your life.  But as soon as you say "be tolerant," I will say EVERYTHING I have to say on the subject specifically to spite you.

SeanBateman

wowsers!
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2005, 00:06 »

Dude, have you ever actually listened to Dashboard? I in no means consider them to be the pinaccle of modern music making, but there's more to them than the lyrics. Personally, I just really like the way his voice sounds. Add that to the simple, catchy guitars, and it's an easy winner. The only time it gets shitty is when people start taking it way to seriously.

Maui

wowsers!
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2005, 00:10 »

im really not going to reply to what you said directly sp2. Youve done the same thing several times before, so its not worth the fight, plus i dont want to get banned.

sp2

wowsers!
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2005, 00:31 »

RE: SeanBateman.

I have unfortunately been subjected to way too much Dashboard (my friend's girlfriend is obsessed with them, so I have to hear them waaay too much).  I wouldn't call their guitars simple but catchy.  AC/DC?  Simple but catchy.  Black Keys?  Simple but catchy.  Nirvana?  Simple but catchy.  Dashboard....no, not really.  As for liking the way someone's voice sounds, that's fine, but realize that same argument is used to defend the existence of boy bands.  The sound of someone's voice does not make quality music.

RE: Maui.

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/viewtopic.php?t=6579
Pages: [1]   Go Up