THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Firefly & Serenity  (Read 11125 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Firefly & Serenity
« on: 21 Jul 2005, 20:26 »

LOVE IT MORE, GODDAMMIT!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

trill

Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2005, 22:32 »

NO!

Actually, I'm going to tape Firefly tomorrow night along with the rest of the sci-fi friday line up. But not because of you're endorsment. Because I just can't let you win like that.

edwartica

Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2005, 00:20 »

A freind of me keeps raving about this series. I am really interested in seeing it. I think I'll go put a reserve on the DVDs at the library tomorrow.

sp2

Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2005, 00:38 »

The great thing about Firefly is that it takes itself a lot less seriously than the other Joss Whedon series did.  I think this is mainly a result of casting choices (Sarah Michelle Gellar can't do comedy to save her life), but is also certainly the result of better writing.  Several characters definitely have the Bruce Campbell-esque type of outrageous yet exceedingly cool lines that show that although the series is definitely serious at times, there are other times when the only people who aren't laughing are those without any sense of humor at all.

I really hope Serenity maintains that balance between tongue-in-cheek and drama, because it would be too easy to just focus on the drama when you put it on the big screen.  The previews seem like they're keeping the same dose of snark that made the show awesome, so I am pretty psyched about the movie.

MilkmanDan

Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2005, 05:10 »

Officially keen.

Keen as a bean in fact.

Rogue42

Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2005, 10:36 »

The movie Serenity is so very shiny.  I got to see one of the advanced screenings and anyone who is a fan of Firefly will love Serenity.

jetpackmonkey

Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2005, 15:45 »

I agree with Rogue42 -- Serenity is a very shiny film indeed. That said, the series is better. But I'm a huge fan of longform genre drama, so that may be a factor in my opinion.

I've tried to get my family hooked on Buffy. I've tried to get them hooked on Angel. They're very amused by both shows, but when I introduced them to Firefly, they found a new religion. My mother can quote from any given episode and we'll discuss underlying themes and clever things that Whedon/Minear did.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2005, 15:45 »

Anyone who's never seen it needs to make sure they watch Sci-Fi Friday early next week to catch the entire two-hour series premiere.

Unfortunately, Sci-Fi won't have aired the entire series before the movie releases.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

trill

Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2005, 22:06 »

I watched the first part today, and *gasp* I liked it! Although I thought it tooka little bit to get into a rhythm.

And it's got Becca from Flash Forward![/quote]

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2005, 22:30 »

It took a little bit to get into the rythmn because it was supposed to be shown as a full 2 hour episode instead of being chopped in half.

And the episode after it is gonna seem a little redundant because Fox sucks and made them make two pilot episodes. Thankfully, it's not that bad because Joss Whedon is a genius and made the second pilot episode work fairly well as a second episode too.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2005, 12:36 »

Agreed. Fox Sucks. Which is why I'm soo incredibly happy that Universal brought the distribution rights to Firefly and are responsible for the films. If we're lucky, they'll let Whedon start the series up again if the films are succesfuly enough.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2005, 02:25 »

You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Praeserpium Machinarum

Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2005, 02:40 »

looks mindbogglingly good, but I know the danish cinemas won't touch it with a 10 feet pole... dammit..

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2005, 05:19 »

Why not, exactly?
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Praeserpium Machinarum

Firefly & Serenity
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2005, 06:37 »

Call it a hunch, as far as I know Firefly hasn't been televised in Denmark and Whedon is much more cult than in USA. If I am lucky, some smaller cinemas might, but I guess I have to wait and see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up