THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 10:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evangelion  (Read 17251 times)

Kanno

Evangelion
« on: 22 Jul 2005, 03:54 »

Anyone else think this was the best anime ever?  I'm not so much an anime fan anymore, but this show still rocks.

WETA (the people who did special effects for LoTR) were supposedly working on a live action NGE film to be released in the US, but their site says that it has been put on hold.  Anyone else know anything about this?

TBW

Evangelion
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2005, 06:56 »

Is it the best anime? God, no. Fooly Cooly and Abenobashi: Magic Shopping Arcade area much better brain-fucks centered around themes of childhood from GAINAX.

Eva is an interesting experiment that attempts to do a lot of intersting things and has had a huge impact on anime in general. The problem with Eva is that towards the end the storyline and characters played a backseat to the message. Even worse, the message, while a good message, wasn't all that original or ground breaking.

So, as far as anime history goes, Eva is just historical. For actually quality, the first half is B+, the last half is C-, and neither had fantastic direction or animation. End of Eva is pretty damn good though.

Here are some designs for the live-action film.

ASturge

Evangelion
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2005, 10:28 »

Bah, I love it.

You have to discount eps 25-26 since the budget ran out whilst making them so they had to settle for the rubbishy ending.

End of Evangelion is the true ending

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Evangelion
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2005, 12:53 »

I didn't get the ending at all.  My friend and I were all ready to watch it and by the time it was over we were both very confused.  We jsut looked at each other and shouted WTF.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Evangelion
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2005, 13:52 »

The planning meeting for making End of Evangelion was just GAINAX all sitting round a table and going "How do we make the BIGGEST BRAINFUCK EVER?"

I get most of the ending. I still have no idea what the fuck is supposed to be happening when it drops into live action shots of Tokyo and starts playing Jesu Joy of Mans Desiring though.

As for best anime series...hmmm. It's good, don't get me wrong but...nah. For one, as a series it has a few too many throw-away episodes, plus it has so many of those annoying budget expanding still and pan shots. Some great moments though.

I would have to say the best anime series I've ever seen was probably Trigun. No, I mean, seriously. There's pretty much nothing wrong with it whatsoever, plus it was good enough to make me cry twice.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ASturge

Evangelion
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2005, 14:29 »

Trigun was indeed very good.

Despite plenty of flaws, im going with Cowboy Bebop. It has funky characters, an awesome soundtrack and the stories were just fantastic.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Evangelion
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2005, 14:39 »

Bebop is up there, definitely.

The really cool thing about anime is that, generally, due to the constraints budget places on making a decent effort, most of the major big budget stuff is also the best. I mean, there are some pretty good lesser known anime series (Sergeant Frog, Midori No Hibi and Matentei Loki Ragnarok come to mind) and all is changing now that computers are levelling the playing field, but it still holds true that, for example, the 'list of greatest anime films and OVA ever' and the catalogue of Manga Entertainment are pretty much identical.

Well, nowadays at least. *thinks back to his collection of Classic Manga Entertainment VHS and giggles*
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

ASturge

Evangelion
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2005, 14:46 »

It annoys me when TV companies get their hands on a good anime, and seem to always delete the theatrical soundtrack and replace it with some 'hip hop jives'

One Piece : GIYO, GIYOGIYO

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Evangelion
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2005, 15:07 »

I can't damned well find it, but there's a hilarious Ctrl+Alt+Del script about that

"Will that be all sir?"
"No, then, take the master tape, and urinate on it"

Kanno

Evangelion
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2005, 16:16 »

Quote from: ASturge
Bah, I love it.

You have to discount eps 25-26 since the budget ran out whilst making them so they had to settle for the rubbishy ending.

End of Evangelion is the true ending

I always liked the TV ending better.  End of eva was crazy, but the whole psychological ending was even crazier.

How cool is that, you get two endings to choose from!

Is there any good new anime out there?  I keep looking for something interesting to watch, and keep getting dissappointed.  The only thing I've found worthwhile have been Satoshi Kon's movies ever since Perfect Blue.  Tokyo Godfathers was particularly good.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Evangelion
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2005, 16:32 »

I take it you've seen Hellsing, Read or Die, both Vampire Hunter D movies, Gundam SEED, the old Gunbuster OVA, Dominion Tank Police, Bubblegum Crisis, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Armitage III, Blood: The Last Vampire, Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade, Vampire Princess Miyu, everything Hayao Miyazaki's ever made, Midori No Hibi, Witch Hunter Robin, Matentei Loki Ragnarok, Blue Submarine Six, All the Slayer series and movies, Serial Experiments Lain, Fist of the North Star and Vision of Escaflowne?

Because if not there's your list.

chupones

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • A mystery wrapped in an enigma stuck in suburbia.
Evangelion
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2005, 17:23 »

For my friends who want to "dip their toes" in the anime waters, I usually make them watch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185481/">NeoTokyo and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113799/">Memories. Based on the vignettes that they like (if any), I make some recommendations.
I may not be a Flintstone, but I'll certainly make your bed rock. - Phil Ken Sebben

TBW

Evangelion
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2005, 19:22 »

Quote from: Kanno
How cool is that, you get two endings to choose from!
Actually, they're basically the same ending, just shown differently.

Is there any good new anime out there?  I keep looking for something interesting to watch, and keep getting dissappointed.  The only thing I've found worthwhile have been Satoshi Kon's movies ever since Perfect Blue.  Tokyo Godfathers was particularly good.
You should watch Paranoia Agent, it's by Satoshi Kon, and it's amazing. It centers around a group of people who are attacked by a kid named Lil' Slugger/Bat boy, a strange being who hits people on their heads with a baseball bat. It is one of the scariest animes out there, and if you like brain fucks... well you got yourself one.

As for other anime, Boogiebop Phantom is... pretty good, probably worth watching. Excel Saga is hilarious. As mentioned before A: Magical Shopping Arcade and FLCL are both incredible. If you're also interested in some great fun classic anime, Lupin the Third is a must. Gantz is a pretty new anime that you might also find some interest in.

Kanno

Evangelion
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2005, 22:21 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
I take it you've seen Hellsing, Read or Die, both Vampire Hunter D movies, Gundam SEED, the old Gunbuster OVA, Dominion Tank Police, Bubblegum Crisis, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Armitage III, Blood: The Last Vampire, Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade, Vampire Princess Miyu, everything Hayao Miyazaki's ever made, Midori No Hibi, Witch Hunter Robin, Matentei Loki Ragnarok, Blue Submarine Six, All the Slayer series and movies, Serial Experiments Lain, Fist of the North Star and Vision of Escaflowne?

Because if not there's your list.

I've seen everything on that list except:  Gunbuster OVA, Tank Police, and Midori No Hibi.

I was thinking more along the lines of recently released stuff.

Kanno

Evangelion
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2005, 22:24 »

Quote from: TBW
You should watch Paranoia Agent, it's by Satoshi Kon, and it's amazing.

New Satoshi Kon? Word!

Wait, is this the one that's been on Adult Swim lately?  I watched maybe half an episode and dismissed it.  I'll definitely have to give it a second chance, thanks for the info!

Useful Idiot

Evangelion
« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2005, 01:57 »

I've always loved Cowboy Bebop, but I think that it suffers much in the same way that Evangelion does, of having "too many throw away episodes" that simply have no bearing on the plot or on the character's development. When Bebop was at its peak, it was a very beautiful piece of work (I.E. Ballad of Fallen Angels, Hard Luck Woman, etc.), but many episodes did nothing for me whatsoever.

I enjoyed Boogiepop Phantom as well, and i'm a fan of the technique that the makers utilized of using overbearingly loud music or soundbites to push the mood of a situation to a polar extreme, although usually in the negative. I thought it was much in the vein of Darron Aronofsky's stlye of filmmaking (Pi, Requiem for a Dream). The series had a few very interesting prospects, such as a boy who saw someones inner tribulations as spiders on their hearts and dissolving their pain by eating the spider, but I found that it suffered from the fact that they took a complex and fantastical concept and slowly throughout the series deconstructed it into something cold and logical.  Many anime series do this, and while others may disagree, I find it to be annoying.

Paranoia Agent was slow and unengrossing at first, and I almost cast it aside after a few episodes, but it does the exact opposite of what Boogiepop does and takes a simple concept and reveals it to be something more philisophical, although I wont say what to avoid spoiling the ending.

ASturge

Evangelion
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2005, 02:35 »

I like that about Bebop.

You can just whack an episode on and not need to have watched them in a row.

I just ordered every episode of Esceflowne off ebay in a boxset....

Does that make me a bad person?

Kanno

Evangelion
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jul 2005, 02:57 »

Be careful with the eBay anime...  I did that once and got ripped off pretty badly.  It ended up being bootleg discs from Hong Kong, which is what I was pretty much expecting.  The subtitles range from okay to complete garbage, and some things didn't work like they were supposed to.  The thing I didn't expect was that the first two discs wouldn't even play at all.

And with HK bootlegs, you're not getting your money back, and there's no customer service. :)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Evangelion
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jul 2005, 04:38 »

I was thinking more along the lines of recently released stuff.

Well, I stopped actively following the anime scene about a year and a half back. Midori No Hibi's pretty damn recent though.

But seriously, Gunbuster is awesome.

yuff

Evangelion
« Reply #19 on: 23 Jul 2005, 23:25 »

i looved eva... lately i havent watch much anime on tv.... gotta see steamboy soon (akira = my bibile)

MoiraFae

Evangelion
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2005, 04:25 »

I enjoyed Eva, even though my brain was mush by the end of the marathon in which my friends made me watch it ...
(whole series + movies)all-at-once = morgan mush *ding!*

Among my faves, both movie and series, are: Cowboy BeBop (all time fav), Perfect Blue, Ghost in the Shell (especially Innocence), Love Hina, Comic Party, FLCL, Azumanga Daioh (eeee!), R.O.D., Gunslinger Girl, Last Exile, Chobits, and Trigun.

I will confess, however, that I am much more of a Manga addict than I am an Anime addict.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Evangelion
« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2005, 06:46 »

Quote from: MoiraFae
"We've restored this building to how it looked over fifty years ago!"
"No! Impossible! No one was alive then!"

Super mega double ultra happy fun props for the Eddie Izzard quote.

Also, I want to put in a vote for The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. I'm not a big anime fan but they showed this at my college's anime club and I thought it was great. Anyone heard of it? Eh? Eh?

Oh and, um, on topic? Evangelion was ok but wank.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Kanno

Evangelion
« Reply #22 on: 24 Jul 2005, 08:51 »

For some reason, your mention of irresponsible captain tylor has given me the urge to watch Nadesico again.  That anime was hilarious.

MoiraFae

Evangelion
« Reply #23 on: 24 Jul 2005, 15:31 »

Quote from: Valrus
"We've restored this building to how it looked over fifty years ago!"
"No! Impossible! No one was alive then!"

Super mega double ultra happy fun props for the Eddie Izzard quote.

Also, I want to put in a vote for The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. I'm not a big anime fan but they showed this at my college's anime club and I thought it was great. Anyone heard of it? Eh? Eh?

Ahthankyou. I am a supremo Eddie fan. *bows*

I have never heard of it! But I'm always looking for new stuff to watch. I will have to hunt it down. Thanks!

ASturge

Evangelion
« Reply #24 on: 24 Jul 2005, 15:47 »

Fuck this,

FAVE COMEDIANS TOP 5

1.Eddie Izzard
2.Bill Baily
3.Billy Connely
4.Jack Dee
5.Harry Hill

HOOAH

MoiraFae

Evangelion
« Reply #25 on: 24 Jul 2005, 15:53 »

Seconded! That's a fabulous top 5 ...

Ooh, also, I found that Ctrl+Alt+Del strip Khar was looking for:
http://www.cad-comic.com/?t=archives&date=2004-01-05

And here's one from VG Cats that also expresses my view on the way many companies in the US treat Anime for tv:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=145

Enjoy.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Evangelion
« Reply #26 on: 24 Jul 2005, 16:01 »

I was arguing with myself whether or not to put the vg cats one up.

MoiraFae

Evangelion
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jul 2005, 16:03 »

It had to be done. It just had to.

Simulacra

Evangelion
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jul 2005, 21:40 »

It had to be done. It just had to.

yes it did, and evangelion was a total mind trip.  and it had giant robots.  and a traditional anime view of humanity being evil and a scourge on the natural order.

offtopic:  moirafae you are the coolest for your eddie izzard quotes.

MoiraFae

Evangelion
« Reply #29 on: 24 Jul 2005, 21:47 »

*blushes* I'm all a twitter! Thank you. I'm an Eddie fan, can't help it.

Menzallol

Evangelion
« Reply #30 on: 25 Jul 2005, 00:52 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Dominion Tank Police,

<3

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
Evangelion
« Reply #31 on: 22 Aug 2005, 13:49 »

Quote from: Valrus
I want to put in a vote for The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. I'm not a big anime fan but they showed this at my college's anime club and I thought it was great. Anyone heard of it? Eh? Eh?

For some reason, your mention of irresponsible captain tylor has given me the urge to watch Nadesico again. That anime was hilarious.

I have never heard of it! But I'm always looking for new stuff to watch. I will have to hunt it down. Thanks!

Both Tylor and Nadesico have the same basic premise. In both TV shows:
(1) Earth is at war with a mysterious enemy, and a powerful ship is dispatched to take on the bad guys.
(2) The ship has a bubble-headed captain, a motley assortment of losers, and bridge bunnies.
(3) For political reasons, the ship's crew becomes the enemy of the Earthbound political leaders.
(4) The "enemy," once the Earth crew meets them face to face, are really not too different from us, and apparently seek peace. But political factions on the other side may destroy the efforts of the peacebuilders.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor came first, but Martian Successor Nadesico takes the same basic premise and goes off on its own wild tangent. Tylor is more raunchy, and Nadesico is more wacky, but I recommend both.

What Tylor has going for it:
1) Tylor himself. His irrepressible optimism and luck keeps him winning every battle despite his ineptitude, and his ongoing battle of wits with his spit-and-polish first officer is one of the best running gags in the series.
2) The sexy-cute 15-year-old empress of the aliens, and especially the scenes that she and Tylor share together.
3) Dom, the bishonen enemy captain.
4) Seeing how Tylor grows when the situation turns serious, and he loses people he cares about.
5) Lots of OAV sequels.

What Nadesico has going for it:
1) Gekiganger. One of the running gags in the show is that most of the characters are anime fans. They all love an old-school robot anime called Gekiganger (from what we see of it, it's sort of a cross between Gatchaman and Mazinger) and every time they go into battle, they shout out Gekiganger catchphrases like "Gekigan Beam!"
2) The sheer number of running gags in the series. Ruri-Ruri will always interrupt the adult conversations with a "Baka!" and Inez always seems to appear out of nowhere whenever it's time to explain something.
3) The rare serious moments in the show ground it in reality and real emotions. When I watched one episode with a ladyfriend who was not an anime fan, she was surprised by a little speech Megumi made. Akito says it's his responsibility to go off and fight, and she asks, "What about your responsibility to me?" When that scene came up, my ladyfriend said, "That was almost profound."
4) Seeing a grown-up Ruri-Ruri and a lethal Akito in the Nadesico movie.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)
Pages: [1]   Go Up