Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ska!  (Read 23113 times)

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
Ska!
« Reply #50 on: 14 Jul 2005, 17:05 »

Are the Aquabats still ska? They killed off the horn section and now I'm confused.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

rudeboy

• Plantmonster
Ska!
« Reply #51 on: 15 Jul 2005, 17:40 »

Quote from: Se7en
Mighty mighty bosstones just never gets old though. Its the only ska that has ever really held my attention.

no offense, but the mighty mighty bosstones has got to be the stalest ska band out there.
Quote from: TScho
Too Short Notice - A pretty well known north east ska band.  Fronted by a female vocalist they have a rather unique sound and tend to please.

jersey local, saw them at the rockfest at kenilworth high round feburary ish. damn, sucks though, because before they went on their tour. their last show in jersey, the one at the firehouse got cancelled because the venue might as well be broke.

Skanking, IMO, is a MUST at a ska show. kids that don't skank and just stand there the whole time annoy the crap outta me. it's as if the venue isn't small enough so you have to go and just take up space just standing there.

Traditional/Rocksteady Ska
The Aggrovators
The Allstonians
The Beltones
The Clarendonians
Desmond Dekker & The Aces
Alton Ellis and the Flames
The Ethiopians
The Gladiators
The Gaylads
The Heptones
Israel Vibration
The Jamaicans
Judge Dread
The Kingstonians
Byron Lee and the Dragonaires
The Paragons
The Sensations
The Skatalites
Sonia Pottinger
Stranger Cole
The Supersonics
The Termites
Toots and the Maytals
The Upsetters
The Wailers
Bob Marley and the Wailers(Studio One recordings)

2-Tone
Bad Manners
The Beat
The Body Snatchers
Madness
The Selecter
The Specials
Special AKA
The Toasters

3rd Wave
The Aggrolites
The Aquabats
Ask My Cat
The Blue Barracudas
Bob and The Sagets
The Bruce Lee Band
Catch 22
Chris Murray
Cherry Poppin' Daddys
Dave Hillyard and The Rocksteady 7
The Dead '60s
Fishbone
Flip the Switch
The Forces of Evil
The Gadjits
General Rudie
The Heatskores
Hepcat
The Hippos
I Voted For Kodos
Less Than Jake
Lets Go Bowling
The Kingpins
Mad Bomber Society
Mad Caddies
Mephiskapheles
MU330
Mustard Plug
Operation Ivy
The Pietasters
The Planetsmashers
Reel Big Fish
The Scofflaws
The Seatbelts
The Slackers
Skalariak
The Skeletones
Streetlight Manifesto
Sublime
The Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
The Trojans
The Upbeat

My current favorite has got to be a trie between Streetlight Manifesto, The Superspecs, and Big D & the Kids Table.
<edit>
(streetlight for when they mix in a catch 22 song in one of their own. big d.... fell in love when i heard their "Little Bitch" cover. and the superspecs, just because. maybe it's that song "More EMO than Thou" that made me like them so much)
<edit>
I don't really like much of Catch 22 'cept the Keasbey Nights era.
[/end post]

Condition Oakland

Ska!
« Reply #52 on: 15 Jul 2005, 19:56 »

Ska shows are the only shows I go to, if that means anything about how much I love the music.

The NJ Ska scene is wonderful, I love the people in it, and we have fun.

I wouldn't know what to do at any other kind of show. I need to dance.

Quote from: rudeboy
Quote from: Se7en
Mighty mighty bosstones just never gets old though. Its the only ska that has ever really held my attention.

no offense, but the mighty mighty bosstones has got to be the stalest ska band out there.

Aw... Why do you say that?

I could probably listen to songs like Toxic Toast forever.

Edit:

Didn't the superspecs stop calling themselves ska? I don't know what it was when I saw them at Bloomfield Ave a while ago, but one of their songs was called something like "crying into a bleeding corpse." I um... yeah... bleeding corpse and all that...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Ska!
« Reply #53 on: 15 Jul 2005, 20:00 »

You could be the annoying skanking git?

A good, sparsely populated pit with plenty of room for spastic, grindy, low-contact moshing kicks the poop out of skanking anyway, and goth dancing, if one has the moves, picks it up, fuses it into a ball and chucks it into the sun.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Condition Oakland

Ska!
« Reply #54 on: 15 Jul 2005, 20:08 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
You could be the annoying skanking git?

A good, sparsely populated pit with plenty of room for spastic, grindy, low-contact moshing kicks the poop out of skanking anyway, and goth dancing, if one has the moves, picks it up, fuses it into a ball and chucks it into the sun.

I'm always afraid of getting the shit kicked out of me at my friends shows. He's cool with me dancing, and after he plays he always comes down and dances with me, but the rest of the "punk crowd" doesn't really take well to it.

I don't really like moshing, I'd rather dance and have fun then have the shit kicked out of me, because it happens even if it starts out as low contact, but I guess that would make me a pussy.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Ska!
« Reply #55 on: 15 Jul 2005, 20:15 »

I don't really like full-on pits, they do note bode well for my accessories, my glasses or my home-modified clothes. I tend to move forward into the crush, preferably to get headbanging on the front row, or failing that the 'pogo zone', or just head back to the bar.

That said, in a small enough venue after a few drinks I can create a zone of utter terror into which all but the bravest fear to tread, because that's when I start thrashing and doing the Ceilidh, at the same time. If there's poles, and I'm drunk, I also sometimes work in a bit of pole-dancing, which apparently is disturbing, no doubt due to the fact that I'm a heavily built 6'1" male who wears things like corpsepaint or gas masks to shows.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

heretic

Ska!
« Reply #56 on: 15 Jul 2005, 20:31 »

i love both moshing and skanking.
as for mosh pits, the only ones i didn't like were at ozzfest, when the music wasn't good enough to warrent full on package of the stage, but good enough to get to the crowd. these were the one with big guys just looking to punch little guys like me in the head. this is no fun. i don't mind getting punched in the head, but when it's intentional it's no fun.
usually i can hold my own because i go into "punk mode" which is 'move as fast and as much as you can' and because i'm so small, when i get hit i just fly instead of getting hurt

Se7en

Ska!
« Reply #57 on: 15 Jul 2005, 20:32 »

A good mosh is fun. I remember at one festival, the circle pit went all the way round the sound stage.

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
Ska!
« Reply #58 on: 16 Jul 2005, 03:47 »

I moshed last night. That is rare for me these days.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

rudeboy

• Plantmonster
Ska!
« Reply #59 on: 16 Jul 2005, 08:41 »

Quote from: Condition Oakland
Aw... Why do you say that?

I could probably listen to songs like Toxic Toast forever.

their songs really really really do NOTHING for me. they're as vanilla as ska gets. the horn melodies are incredibly uninspired and generic as it gets.
Quote from: Condition Oakland
Didn't the superspecs stop calling themselves ska? I don't know what it was when I saw them at Bloomfield Ave a while ago, but one of their songs was called something like "crying into a bleeding corpse." I um... yeah... bleeding corpse and all that...

and yeah i did notice them slowly drifting from the genre. their latest demo that i got from them, seems more rock then ska, but hey, they did play at Ska Is Dead.

i don't understand moshing at all. ugh, hell, moshing at a ska show ... i can't describe how idiotic it is.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
Ska!
« Reply #60 on: 16 Jul 2005, 08:45 »

Vanilla can be AWESOME if its done right.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Maui

Ska!
« Reply #61 on: 17 Jul 2005, 11:59 »

edited for crazy messed up-edness

Maui

Ska!
« Reply #62 on: 17 Jul 2005, 12:04 »

i love ska, partly because i love to skank. it's one of the only forms of dancing that i really really enjoy, because it's so easy and loose you can just go nuts.

Yea, you can look like a complete moron and everyone else is doing the same thing lol. Random story, at a Reel big fish show, my one friend jon got a little carried away and ended up on the other side of the crowd, he came back with his glasses completely trashed, with a huge smile on his face. See the power of awesome music, it overcomes normally sucky situations :-).

Im not gonna post all the ska bands i like, cause thatd take too long, and i think everyones covered all those bases haha. But sublime people, i wouldve DIED to see them in concert.......also, question, i know brad nowell died like 7 or 8 years ago, and i havent heard any new stuff from them. Did they stay together or what?

DonkeyPirate

Ska!
« Reply #63 on: 20 Jul 2005, 20:10 »

you guys have no idea how happy it makes me to see that no one (i think) mentioned reel big fish as one of thier favorites.  i hate them so much.  thier lyrics are dumb and thier horn lines leave alot to be desired.

as for those of you wanting to sample ska songs, you can find a huge bit of them at www.turnuptheska.com  its a great radio site.  my band Skitch, (now broken up) has a couple of tracks on there.  we recorded way before we were ready too though...  or you can hear a couple of our songs at www.skitchband.com

Maui

Ska!
« Reply #64 on: 20 Jul 2005, 20:30 »

*poke* I like reel big fish.  

Also, i dunno whats going on with my double post thing. I dont remember it being like that.

mizaktik

Ska!
« Reply #65 on: 21 Jul 2005, 01:13 »

Quote from: DonkeyPirate
you guys have no idea how happy it makes me to see that no one (i think) mentioned reel big fish as one of thier favorites.  i hate them so much.  thier lyrics are dumb and thier horn lines leave alot to be desired.

<<irrelevant stuff>>

I find that funny...  I've never thought that their lyrics were particularly inspired or anything, but I really think that a few songs they hit on some gold, Brand New Hero off of Cheer Up comes to mind.

And I must incredibly disagree with the comments about their horns.  I freakin' love what they do with their horns, old stuff atleast, the last two CD's have left the horns out more than I like.

All in all though, each to his own.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Ska!
« Reply #66 on: 21 Jul 2005, 09:11 »

Quote from: Maui
also, question, i know brad nowell died like 7 or 8 years ago, and i havent heard any new stuff from them. Did they stay together or what?

Look into the Long Beach Dub All Stars.  I think.

On one hand, I'm not suprised Khar mentioned Leftover Crack.  On the other hand, I'm suprised he's the only one who mentioned them.  I love Leftover Crack.  They are practicaly the satanic ska band I always tried to get people to start with me (along with my idea for a satanic mariachi band)

heretic

Ska!
« Reply #67 on: 21 Jul 2005, 09:14 »

yeah Long Beach Dub is sublime minus Brad. they have had a bunch of guest singers, never sticking with one too long. they're not bad, but they can't come back up to the glory of sublime

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Ska!
« Reply #68 on: 21 Jul 2005, 09:54 »

Durr.  I always forgot about them or forgot they're suppose to be satanic.  It's their damn Bumblebee tuna song that throws me off.

I like Sublime but I do feel they are very overated.  Nowell was a misyognistic junky.  But hey, you know, different strokes.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Ska!
« Reply #69 on: 21 Jul 2005, 10:11 »

Huh, never heard of them.  How about Pain?  Seattle band, I think.  They did the cover of the Jaberjaw theme that was on the Cartoon Network.

heretic

Ska!
« Reply #70 on: 21 Jul 2005, 10:20 »

Nowell was a mysogenist in the same way rastas are, they treat women well when they are with them, but have no loyalty and don't consider them equals

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Ska!
« Reply #71 on: 21 Jul 2005, 10:22 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin

On one hand, I'm not suprised Khar mentioned Leftover Crack.  On the other hand, I'm suprised he's the only one who mentioned them.  I love Leftover Crack.  They are practicaly the satanic ska band I always tried to get people to start with me (along with my idea for a satanic mariachi band)

Leftover Crack are wierd. I'd seen them mentioned in peoples lists of 'favourite ska bands' and had remembered the name, but not thought much of it. Then, browsing through a record store, I came across a copy of 'Fuck World Trade'. I was gobsmacked. The design work looked like a cross between Darkthrone and Napalm Death, and they had used possibly the most controversial title/cover pair up ever:

I bought it and found it rocking. Not only did it lack a horn section, but it featured hard rocking and regular digressions into proper black metal vocals. I became a bit of a fan, and hope they get back together again. Fingers crossed, SCUM will sound a bit like them. But better.

heretic

Ska!
« Reply #72 on: 21 Jul 2005, 10:34 »

well the cover is sufficiently offensive

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Ska!
« Reply #73 on: 21 Jul 2005, 10:48 »

The singer can really fucking wail.  Especialy on Heroin Or Suicide (Uh, shit it may be a Chocking Victim and not a Leftover Crack song).  They have used some sort of horn player on maybe a couple of songs but not a full section.  Fuck, I can't even remember any of the songs with horns at the moment so maybe there aren't any.  If you haven't already you should check out Chocking Victim, especialy No Gods, No Managers (man I'm lazy other wise I'd provide a better link.  Also it will be amusing if the obnoxious army recruiting ad is there.  Also, by amusing I mean rectal bleeding inducing.)  

I'd probably have got that as soon as I saw the cover.

Heretic, that really doesn't lessen my confusion over why people won't get of his cock, metaphoricaly.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Ska!
« Reply #74 on: 21 Jul 2005, 11:04 »

Yes.

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
Ska!
« Reply #75 on: 21 Jul 2005, 12:54 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
Huh, never heard of them.  How about Pain?  Seattle band, I think.  They did the cover of the Jaberjaw theme that was on the Cartoon Network.

Pain is from Alabama.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Ska!
« Reply #76 on: 21 Jul 2005, 14:51 »

I hadn't been sure, thanks.  I found out about them just from trading for one of their shirts I found amusing for a pack of ciggeretes while in rehab.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Ska!
« Reply #77 on: 21 Jul 2005, 15:02 »

You traded cigs for it in rehab?

Must have been a pretty 'effin amusing shirt.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Ska!
« Reply #78 on: 21 Jul 2005, 15:17 »

Yeah, I was 18 but was for some reason still put into the youth rehab.  Wasn't suppose to smoke but they weren't exactly hard to sneak in.  

Really amusing shirt.  Really Tex Avery style drawing of this big long horn right in this guys ear with lots of noise indicating drawing stuff, his mouth is open wide and one of those extendo hand type things is putting a round acme style bomb on his tongue.  Right above all this it says PAIN.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Ska!
« Reply #79 on: 21 Jul 2005, 15:45 »

Sounds pretty cool.

What I meant was, as far as I understood cigarettes have the same if not higher currency value in rehab than they do in prison.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Ska!
« Reply #80 on: 21 Jul 2005, 16:14 »

Ah, yes, now that you mention it I got three shirts for a pack of ciggs.  It was amusing how much neat stuff I'd get for ciggs.

Back in the day in the smaller town I use to live in just about everybody at the time was huge on ska/punk and just about every show in town was most likely a crappy local band.  The only times I'd go would be was when one of the local metal band would cover some of the more popular ska songs at the time.  Just picture this really tall dude hammering away at his six string bass, headbanging all while growling out "PICK IT UPPPPPP PICK IT UPPPPP."

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Ska!
« Reply #81 on: 21 Jul 2005, 16:50 »

Rudeboy, your list was BEAUTIFUL, simply beautiful. I never realized how much ska I actually listened to (either in the past or now). Thanks for bolding the Smashers. I do believe they are excellent, but I think you should have highlighted MU330 and if you mentioned Slapstick, as well.
I like the way you work it.

rudeboy

• Plantmonster
Ska!
« Reply #82 on: 21 Jul 2005, 18:55 »

Left Over Crack - pretty good skacore band, hell, they sent me home just because I was wearing a Fuck World Trade t-shirt and I wouldn't turn it inside out.

Reel Big Fish - I have a confession to make.... Reel Big Fish headlined the first ska show I ever went to. Their new album is garbage. It is not Why Do They Rock So Hard 2. Cheer Up! and WDTRSH? are their only albums worth owning. Anyone who tells me that We're Not Happy 'til You're Not Happy is better then Cheer Up! deserves the punch to the face.

I saw MU330 at Ska Is Dead II.

Everyone.... go out now and buy The Planet Smashers new album.

SeanBateman

Ska!
« Reply #83 on: 21 Jul 2005, 19:41 »

Three fucking Cheers for the ehtiopians man. or maybe 5 or 6

La Creme

Ska!
« Reply #84 on: 21 Jul 2005, 19:58 »

What about MephiSkaPhales?

Word to them. Foursome is the greatest Skazz song ever. Ever.

BTW Reel Big Fish guy, what about "Turn The Radio Off"? You know it's a good album. It's a little too ska, but still. And yeah, the new album does kinda blow. At least Aaron's got the Forces of Evil going to cover up for RBF's current suckage.

Also, did anyone mention Skavoovie and the Epitones, or The Scofflaws, or The Porkers? They're all good...

PS. Reel Big Fish guy, you are right that the Planetsmashers are loads of joy.

Maui

Ska!
« Reply #85 on: 21 Jul 2005, 20:00 »

BTW Reel Big Fish guy, what about "Turn The Radio Off"? You know it's a good album. It's a little too ska, but still. And yeah, the new album does kinda blow. At least Aaron's got the Forces of Evil going to cover up for RBF's current suckage.

A little too ska?? What does that mean exactly praytell? You all must see RBF live though......soo much better than any album of theirs.

Underneath

Ska!
« Reply #86 on: 21 Jul 2005, 21:04 »

is less than jake ska? because im not sure...

Akbar

Ska!
« Reply #87 on: 23 Jul 2005, 08:54 »

I actually attended two ska-concerts last night. First one by a friend's band, after which we drove for two hours to watch the skatalites at a small club.

It was brilliant and sweaty.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
Ska!
« Reply #88 on: 23 Jul 2005, 22:25 »

I went to my FIRST ska show last night!
It was so so SO SO SO awesome :)
It was just local bands so I doubt anyone would have heard of them (unless you're from NZ), but the atmosphere was so great, and you can dance how you want... Skankin' is so fun!
It's such happy music. I always knew that, but live it was just...amazing.
Anyway, I had a lot of fun...
The bands were The WBC, Eight Orange Orchard, Jonny Doom & The Forcefields.
The Eight Orange Orchard were a bunch of young people from Taranaki, and they were INCREDIBLY impressive. Overall, it was great. Yay Ska.
Now I wanna learn to play sax...

Maui

Ska!
« Reply #89 on: 23 Jul 2005, 22:36 »

Condition Oakland, your avatar is amazing.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Ska!
« Reply #90 on: 24 Jul 2005, 09:29 »

Quote from: StarlightRecycler
I went to my FIRST ska show last night!
It was so so SO SO SO awesome :)

Haha, that's awesome. I myself was also at a local ska show yesterday, but it was definately not my first.  I hadn't gone to one in maybe three to five months before last night. I had a blast.  I really like ska shows even though it's not my first musical choice to listen to.  They're just always a guaranteed good time and always super friendly.
I like the way you work it.

ASturge

Ska!
« Reply #91 on: 24 Jul 2005, 11:21 »

Quote from: Maui
A little too ska?? What does that mean exactly praytell? You all must see RBF life though......soo much better than any album of theirs.

Who has tickets !?

STURGE HAS TICKETS

La Creme

Ska!
« Reply #92 on: 24 Jul 2005, 11:51 »

A little too ska?? What does that mean exactly praytell? You all must see RBF life though......soo much better than any album of theirs.

Ok, what I said was bullshit and I repeal it. Turn the Radio Off kicks ass. Also, I've seen them live. Thrice. You know why? CAUSE I WENT TO SKA-SUMMIT MUFUCKAAAAAAAA. God was that awesome.

*EDIT* Just to clear up any misconceptions, by "thrice" I meant three times, not the band. They can all go get fucked by a sasquach.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up