THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: american splendor  (Read 3368 times)

soap

american splendor
« on: 24 Jul 2005, 05:17 »

ok, after reading some Daniel Clowes stuff (ghost world & caricature) i decided to check out this Harvey Pekar guy i'd heard about ...and i've read a couple of the anthologies and i really loved the writing style and the realistic art and stories.
but i was wondering if anyone else here can point me in the direction of which other american splendor books i should be reading ...

cheers

TBW

Re: american splendor
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2005, 16:07 »

Quote from: soap
ok, after reading some Daniel Clowes stuff (ghost world & caricature) i decided to check out this Harvey Pekar guy i'd heard about ...and i've read a couple of the anthologies and i really loved the writing style and the realistic art and stories.
but i was wondering if anyone else here can point me in the direction of which other american splendor books i should be reading ...

cheers
Our Cancer Year is considered to be Harvey's magnum opus, he co-wrote it with his wife.

nexus

american splendor
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2005, 22:42 »

The movie is actually a really good introduction to everything. I'd recommend it.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
american splendor
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2005, 12:37 »

I have seen the movie, which I loved. I don't have the perogative to go find his comics though. I'm just lazy.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

soap

american splendor
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2005, 14:45 »

the movie is pretty cool, i finally bought it the other day...
didn't get any of his comics/collections on the weekend, couldnt afford too, got David Boring by daniel clowes out of the libiary instead*

*yes i know how geekish that is, but theyve got a good graphic novel section in there!

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
american splendor
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2005, 21:26 »

Oops, I guess that means seppuku for me.

*Stab, slide, up*
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
american splendor
« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug 2005, 12:03 »

I loved the movie too, and have almost bought some of the collections several times, but I never know which one to start with. Although I picked it up at at the bookstore, and really did love the rant at the beginning of "Our Movie Year," and almost bought it on the strength of those two pages. But it seems like I should start with some more "classic" material.

Someone post me a link to Amazon.com, so I know which book to look for. Don't say "Our Cancer Year," I plan to work my way up to it. It seems like something you'd need a foundation for first.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

twentyfour

american splendor
« Reply #7 on: 01 Aug 2005, 13:14 »

Soap you have the best avatar ever

sorry I don't mean to off topic but it had to be said

:)

soap

american splendor
« Reply #8 on: 01 Aug 2005, 15:08 »

thanks, ive been using it for awhile on a couple of different sites ... its like a part of me now :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up