THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 02:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: De-Lovely  (Read 8003 times)

Mnementh

De-Lovely
« on: 26 Jul 2005, 22:21 »

Someone was asking me about this, but I don't remember which thread, so I figured that I should start a thread for it now that I've seen it.

This movie was wonderful.  It's framed by an older Cole Porter reviewing a musical about his life, and so it moves through his life as it were a musical incorporating all his songs.

The acting was good, and the music was great, they had some amazing performers.  One word of warning, it's long, two hours and five minutes, but you don't particularly notice it.  It doesn't hold back, it discusses his bisexuality, his self doubt, and his marital difficulties.

It's got some rather sad parts at times, but don't worry, never open with a ballad, and never end on one.

4 out of 5 stars.

SeanBateman

De-Lovely
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2005, 22:54 »

I have heard really really good things about this film, but have never taken the time to see it.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
De-Lovely
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2005, 23:05 »

In the end, it's a film full of Cole Porter songs - how could you possibly go wrong?

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
De-Lovely
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2005, 01:36 »

If they were being covered by current pop-stars!
(Just being smart)
I've never heard of this before... I wonder when it came out.
Sounds highly interesting, I usually enjoy a movie a lot more if it has a great soundtrack. Knowing all you cool internet people it'll be far to inaccessible for me. But i'll look for it. Thanks!

TBW

Re: De-Lovely
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2005, 12:43 »

Good movie altough the "Be a Clown" segment is really akward and out of place.

I've never heard of this before... I wonder when it came out.
Sounds highly interesting, I usually enjoy a movie a lot more if it has a great soundtrack. Knowing all you cool internet people it'll be far to inaccessible for me. But i'll look for it. Thanks
My Grandma has it on DVD so, no, it's a rather accessible and mainstream film.

I removed part of this post because that's a spoiler.  You really don't learn that until the end when Jonathan Pryce's character reveals who he is. - Mnem

thew

De-Lovely
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2005, 13:04 »

My friend and I took to calling it De-Crappy. Of course I haven't seen it, but I'm a fan of DavidSpading movie titles whether they deserve it or not. My friend saw it though and said it was pretty awful so I didn't feel so bad renaming it.

.Kate.

De-Lovely
« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2005, 14:24 »

I really enjoyed this film.

Sophi

De-Lovely
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2005, 16:38 »

I actually loved it, despite the bad reviews. But then again, I'm a huge Cole Porter geek, and I've been told that I have awful taste in movies, so... judge for yourself.
It's worth checking out if you like Cole Porter, though, if only for Elvis Costello's version of Let's Misbehave.
Pages: [1]   Go Up