THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 19:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: About the Sex Pistols  (Read 14257 times)

Kid Modernist

About the Sex Pistols
« on: 27 Jul 2005, 15:04 »

Man, the Sex Pistols weren't supposed to be talented. They were supposed to rock. I can understand if people don't like them for that, I'm just trying to say why I do.

La Creme

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2005, 15:07 »

Good rock requires talent.

Listen to ELP sometime.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2005, 15:11 »

My main problem with the Sex Pistols is that they were such fucking nihilists.  At least the Clash were about trying to improve society (even if they were a bit uncertain how to go about it); the Pistols were about destroying society.  I think that's an untenable position.  Some of their songs were all right, but Jesus their attitude gives me the shits.

Schmung

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2005, 15:14 »

They were young, fucked up and succesful, by no means musically gifted, but entertaining at times. They shocked people and did a bloody good job, musically, not great, but as a musical phenomenon it was very powerful. ER, yeah, thats it.

sp2

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2005, 15:16 »

Where's the "they were corporate shills" option?

Praeserpium Machinarum

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2005, 15:24 »

didn't they also clear the way for a lot of possibly good punk bands or am I completely off the mark?

sp2

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2005, 15:26 »

They also cleared the way for punk as a highly marketable and commercialized subculture.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2005, 15:59 »

Seriously Malcolm McLaren was more about selling an image then any sort of musical talent.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2005, 18:51 »

They make baby Jeasus cry.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

nickb285

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2005, 19:05 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
Seriously Malcolm McLaren was more about selling an image then any sort of musical talent.

Malcolm McLaren was a bastard, Sid Vicious was a woman-beating druggie, and Johnny Rotten recently appeared on a reality show with a bunch of other washed-up B-list celebrities.

That said, I do think the Pistols were important as far as influencing the sound of punk music, as well as the  sarcastic and/or nihilistic humor seen later in bands such as the Dead Kennedys.

Nonetheless, they aren't one of the better punk bands.

grrraham

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2005, 19:22 »

what the cal, screw you guys, you're not punks, stop worrying about it and go back to your bands with people who know how to play instruments.

the indie kids are a bunch of snobs  they complain my timing's all off i think timing is for stupid fucks why do they think i play punk rock!!! steve albini playing god of indie heaven, stupid dorks keeping time in seven and eleven!
indie sucks, hardline sucks, emo sucks– you suck!

nickb285

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2005, 19:24 »

I've been told emo songs are deep,
which translates into really weak!!!!!
all they ever do is cry,
did something get caught in their eyes?
i just can't understand it all,
even i don't always bawl..

boohoohoo.. my girlfriend dumped me and i'm really really hurt...

grrraham

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2005, 19:48 »

up the punx

sp2

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2005, 23:01 »

Punk has the potential to really communicate political issues.  And it has been used, at least in part, by bands like Bad Religion and Dead Kennedys and various other bands as a means to bring up ideas.  But unfortunately, too many punk and hardcore bands just focus on trying to be twats with a four-letter vocabulary.  Sid Vicious, G. G. Allin, what the fuck ever, grow the fuck up.

grrraham

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2005, 02:20 »

If you think about it, it's absolutely fucking amazing that political activism is so common in punk at all.

Saturday

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2005, 05:51 »

Quote from: Inlander
My main problem with the Sex Pistols is that they were such fucking nihilists.  At least the Clash were about trying to improve society (even if they were a bit uncertain how to go about it); the Pistols were about destroying society.  I think that's an untenable position.  Some of their songs were all right, but Jesus their attitude gives me the shits.

The Clash were the one that used more of an image of "oh white riot! fuck the system!" blah blah blah. It was an idea from their manager. Luckily, Joe Strummer wasn´t an idiot and he actually cared about all that. So it wasn´t something really fake.

The Pistols weren´t about Destroying Society. It was more about making you think about what is *right*, what is *wrong*, and what is acceptable. They were big followers of the International Situationist (one of the latest Artistic movements in the S.XX), and if you see it in that way, the Sex Pistols was a completely coherent.

About the music, i dont honestly care much about punk, i really like few punk bands (my favourite one is the buzzcocks) but i really love the first 3 Public Image Album (johnny rotten band after the sex pistols). if you listen to them as an evolution after nevermind the bollocks, you can be very surprised.

heretic

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jul 2005, 05:56 »

i like sex pistol because they have a particular sound. i only listen to them when i want uncut, sloppy, nihilistic punk. sure they were cock-munchers, but hey, who doesn't like to munch a cock now and then?

discoztu

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jul 2005, 06:53 »

I think one of the best things about the sex pistols was Vivienne Westwood.  Say what you will about the band's musical talent or influence, their clothing designer was fucking amazing, the real talent of the band and continues to create amazing stuff to this day.  If you think of a band as more than just the music and include their artistic presentation (dress, album covers, dare i say t-shirts) than the sex pistols were important regardless of what you think of their music.  They were created out of a clothing store managed by mclaren so their fashion was an inseperable part of their message.  which may in one part be nihlistic but also involved the appropriation of the past and resuturing it.  but this is a music forum so i'll get back in the corner with my scissors and glue.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #18 on: 28 Jul 2005, 07:00 »

Where's the option for 'the Sex Pistols were just a bit of fun, not all music has to be totally serious, and FUCK did they piss a lot of tories off'? I mean, seriously, so many pissed off tories. Why the hell should they have a serious or coherent message? It's just fun music. Rock and roll, people.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jul 2005, 09:38 »

I like them for that exact reason.  Same reason I like GWAR and Green Jello.

nickb285

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jul 2005, 10:54 »

Quote from: grrraham
If you think about it, it's absolutely fucking amazing that political activism is so common in punk at all.

I don't think so. After all, the punk scene (and much of the music) is largely based on dissatisfaction with authority. Thus, it makes sense that some of the people who were pissed off would try to do something about it.

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jul 2005, 11:34 »

I think the Sec Pisolts had a few good songs, but I certainly wouldn't want ot listen to an album's worth all the way through.

I find them very interesting. I definitely would not call myself a fan, but they did pull off a lot of crazy shit, while at the saem time being totally shallow and vapid. They paved the way for a lot of commercialization of punk, but also probably spawned a lot of good stuff too.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

Kid Modernist

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2005, 14:31 »

Quote from: heretic
i like sex pistol because they have a particular sound. i only listen to them when i want uncut, sloppy, nihilistic punk. sure they were cock-munchers, but hey, who doesn't like to munch a cock now and then?

Quote from: KarBevNor
Where's the option for 'the Sex Pistols were just a bit of fun, not all music has to be totally serious, and FUCK did they piss a lot of tories off'? I mean, seriously, so many pissed off tories. Why the hell should they have a serious or coherent message? It's just fun music. Rock and roll, people.

I agree with these dudes.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #23 on: 28 Jul 2005, 19:04 »

Malcolm McLaren was a knob. Sid Vicious was a knob. Glen Matlock, Steve Jones and Johnny Rotten could write a decent song. True, none of them could play the songs particularly well, but as it has been said before, that was beside the point.

Plus PIL rules!

mahlon

• Plantmonster
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jul 2005, 21:58 »

Quote from: grrraham

indie sucks, hardline sucks, emo sucks– you suck!

Dude... Anti-Flag.

sp2

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2005, 00:54 »

The moral of this story is...

You're not punk and I'm telling everyone.
Save your breath, I never was one.

mahlon

• Plantmonster
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #26 on: 30 Jul 2005, 22:39 »

Quote from: sp2
The moral of this story is...

You're not punk and I'm telling everyone.
Save your breath, I never was one.

Now theres a band quote worth quoting.

Speaking of that, did you ever hear that Jawbreaker tribute with FUCKING Falloutboy. God, why would some one ever add that line, and "woah ohs" to Save Your Generation.

They made it into a generic "were teh emoz" anthem.

I've had plans to murder that band savagely ever since I heard that cover.

nickb285

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #27 on: 30 Jul 2005, 22:46 »

Why would you listen to a tribute album? With the possible exception of the Grateful Dead tribute "Deadicated", they always suck ass.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2005, 22:46 »

No, the moral of the story, and the definitively best punk quote ever is:

So fuckin' what!?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

mahlon

• Plantmonster
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #29 on: 30 Jul 2005, 23:21 »

Quote from: nickb285
Why would you listen to a tribute album? With the possible exception of the Grateful Dead tribute "Deadicated", they always suck ass.

I had to give it a chance. Jawbreaker is my absolute favorite band ever.

rawrXskittles

• Curry sauce
  • OH JEEZ OH DANG OH JEEZ
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #30 on: 03 Aug 2005, 17:37 »

Dudes...it's just music. Why get all foamy at the mouth about something that's supposed to be fun? Why do we have to snarl at each other for just having opinions?

Why do we have to prescribe to just ONE genre? If you think you're better than someone humming a song from the Sex Pistols, you are wrong. You probably hum songs from Deerhoof, or West Indie Girl, or (dare I say it?) Spoon...so what? Nobody is better than anybody else.

Now then...

The Sex Pistols were funny. I like them, and I think they were too short-lived...if they hadn't been so chaotic they would still be around today, but their music wouldn't have had that crazy spark I like.

And...tribute albums/bands suck. Write your own music...

I also like Fallout Boy, because their singer sounds good. Same reason I like My Chemical Romance.
Believe not in you who believes in you, but me who believes in you!

Kid Modernist

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #31 on: 03 Aug 2005, 17:44 »

We are having fun, by talking shit about other's tastes. :)

Karn

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #32 on: 03 Aug 2005, 17:57 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
No, the moral of the story, and the definitively best punk quote ever is:

So fuckin' what!?

Well, I've been to Hastings, and I've been to Brighton...

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #33 on: 03 Aug 2005, 21:13 »

Yeah? Well I've been to Eastbourne.

too.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #34 on: 03 Aug 2005, 21:42 »

So what, you boring little cunt...
Click Here!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #35 on: 03 Aug 2005, 22:06 »

<3

La Creme

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #36 on: 04 Aug 2005, 07:08 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
I like them for that exact reason. Same reason I like GWAR and Green Jello.

But GWAR play kickass musics! Seriously. I like 'em for more than just the live spectacle.

rawrXskittles

• Curry sauce
  • OH JEEZ OH DANG OH JEEZ
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #37 on: 04 Aug 2005, 10:22 »

I find Gwar amusing. When they were on Viva la Bam they were pretty good. My brother is crazy about them.
Believe not in you who believes in you, but me who believes in you!

ebullientsoul

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #38 on: 04 Aug 2005, 16:22 »

Quote from: nickb285
Johnny Rotten recently appeared on a reality show with a bunch of other washed-up B-list celebrities..

According to what I read, Mr. Rotten donated all the money he recieved on that show to charity.

ebullientsoul

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #39 on: 04 Aug 2005, 16:25 »

Quote from: mahlon

Speaking of that, did you ever hear that Jawbreaker tribute with FUCKING Falloutboy. God, why would some one ever add that line, and "woah ohs" to Save Your Generation.

Yeah, but did you hear the Duvall cover? Or the Aeffect cover? Or the Face to Face cover? The Bigwig cover?

If you're going to write off an entire tribute comp because you don't like Fall Out Boy, I'm going to laugh in your face.

Maui

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #40 on: 04 Aug 2005, 16:26 »

theres this fun thing, called the edit button. Use it to magically avoid double posts :-)

mahlon

• Plantmonster
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #41 on: 04 Aug 2005, 23:57 »

Quote from: ebullientsoul
Quote from: mahlon

Yeah, but did you hear the Duvall cover? Or the Aeffect cover? Or the Face to Face cover? The Bigwig cover?

If you're going to write off an entire tribute comp because you don't like Fall Out Boy, I'm going to laugh in your face.

Uhh, yes, they gave me more reasons why I hated the tribute album. Especially that HORRIBLE AEffect cover. The Bigwig cover was just as bad, and you should laugh in your own face for bring those 2 up.

When I think of bands doing a tribute album for a band. I'd AT LEAST expect to hear a band that has been noticibly influenced by the band being tributed.

Now, yes, Jawbreaker has influenced MANY, MANY, MANY bands. But I definitely saw a lack of influence on that album.

But now that you mention it, out of the 4 good covers on that album, why must you say those bands?

The Sparta cover of Kiss the Bottle is the ONLY Jawbreaker cover I have ever heard that was done perfectly, and I don't even like Sparta. The Kill Your Idols cover, Good Night Bad Guy, and Jeff Ott cover are the other good ones.

But seriously. That tribute would of been so much better if bands like Small Brown Bike, Waxwing, Hot Water Music, Grabass Charlestons, Gunmoll, Casket Lottery... etc were on it. You know, bands that actually have a pretty large influence by Jawbreaker.

Fnord

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #42 on: 04 Aug 2005, 23:59 »

The sex pistols were the mediocre, snotty-nosed figureheads of a marketing ploy. Some great things have been born out of punk, but punk itself was a load of freeze dried cat turds.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #43 on: 05 Aug 2005, 02:13 »

*beats you with a stick*

SeanBateman

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #44 on: 05 Aug 2005, 03:07 »

*Beats you with a spiked bat*

The Clash alone refute your theory, then the Dead Kennedy's and The Replacements make it cry to a cheap prostitue.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #45 on: 05 Aug 2005, 04:12 »

Then New Model Army, Tenpole Tudor and The Pogues dance on it's face, whilst the Anti-Nowhere League pisses on it and The Dwarves try to set fire to it, then give up and take crack.

Seriously, no.

Tedd

About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #46 on: 05 Aug 2005, 06:27 »

They had no purpose, that's what made them so successful. Were they musically inclined in any way at all? No! They were about tearing it down and destroying society. That's why they got so big back then; they went with what was going on and they made some cash off it. Those of you that have seen Sid and Nancy know that.

"Sid Vicious is vicious no longer...he died last night. <laughter>"

That's an actual quote from a newsman. 100% true, no bullshit.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #47 on: 05 Aug 2005, 10:01 »

Do any other punk bands actually sound like the Sex Pistols? I haven't heard any that don't sound more like <insert better punk or proto-punk band here>.

So how did they pave the way for anything except the commercialization of what began as a big, rude hand gesture to everything commercial?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #48 on: 05 Aug 2005, 10:42 »

The Anti-Nowhere League sound very much like the pistols (but better). UK Subs are a bit like the Pistols, and Stiff Little Fingers have a dash now and then. LOADS of smaller bands of course...The Rotters are a prime example I can think of.

Then again, influence doesn't have to be 'sounds like'. Cock Sparrer sounds nothing like The Pistols, but they 'shout out' to them on various live releases.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
About the Sex Pistols
« Reply #49 on: 05 Aug 2005, 13:54 »

Admittedly, the Sex Pistols' (apparent) ethos and attitude did influence people, but those who started bands probably grabbed the same amount of influence from other, less commercial bands who weren't wankers.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up