THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 14:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: music recording  (Read 3675 times)

yipjumpmusic

music recording
« on: 28 Jul 2005, 03:03 »

So who here records music?  I am just wondering who uses what to record.  I have a tascam 4-track recorder but I was thinking of getting an mbox until I noticed celeron processors would not work with it.  I had the other requirements I think but that one shot down any thought of an mbox.  Is pretty much anything else similar going to into that problem?  I guess I could get a decent laptop just for this purpose but not sure I want to spend the money on that right now.  Well anyways, what does anyone recommend?  (This seems to be able to go in either here or the comp and games forum but more people look here I think so here it will be.)

Saturday

music recording
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2005, 05:04 »

I record stuff.

i use a behringer v-amp 2 (the poor manīs POD), a behringer mixer (the poor manīs mixer). that plugged into my computer and presto. the mixer has some microphone pre-amps, so i plug my mic there and record nice vocals and instruments with that. not much else i guess. what else could you need to record?

oh the program i use is ACID PRO 4.0. not the most famoust, but itīs ridicolously simply in use and also pretty powerful.

any average PC will work. mineīs a Duron 1.3... not exactly high-end technology. it stands about 20 tracks at the same time with some effects running. fine with me.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
music recording
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2005, 07:25 »

I have (/my dad has) actually got an 8 track reel-to-reel and a pretty nice mixer, but I find them cumbersome. I use a Marshall MG practice amp, 15 Watt, for recording guitar and for microphone, which I use for vocals, acoustic, harmonica, bodhran etc. etc. This is recorded into Audacity on my PC through an emulated line-in, where preliminary mixing is done, then I sequence my tracks sample-styley in FL Studio 4, even the ones that aren't electronic. Apart from that the only other equipment I have are some really good headphones for the amp (old Beyerdynamics) and a walkman with a microphone which I use for some found-sound.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ASturge

music recording
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2005, 08:21 »

Tascam 4 track hooked up to my PC using SONAR 4 Producer's Edition.

Hatebunny

music recording
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2005, 11:27 »

I run my guitars through a preamp/pedal and then run that either through a line-in or my M-Audio Fasttrack, and record it into a multitracker as a wave. Then I add post-effects.

Other times, Instead of multitracking, I just do a one-shot recording and use that in an external program like Fruityloops or Acid and add it into a pre-existing mix.

Also, different methods of recording get different sounds. Sometimes I mic my amplifiers, sometimes I don't.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
music recording
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2005, 12:05 »

I've got a pre-amp on my amp, as it were. I normally use a simply amplified sound for most clean stuff, with high/mid/low settings depending on what sounds best, for any heavy or extreme stuff I use overdrive and for more gothy stuff I tend to try various amounts of reverb, though I tend to post-process a lot of stuff during production as well, as all my music is pretty much non-performable. (not without one or two other people and another Ģ5000 worth of equipment anyway)

Although it's not entirely related, anyone looking into a microphone should definitely choose a Cardioid. I recommend the Pro-Sound YU-37 for a good balance of quality and price.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio
Pages: [1]   Go Up