THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Arrested Development  (Read 19496 times)

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
Arrested Development
« on: 29 Jul 2005, 15:04 »

hands down, the best show currently on TV.

starting tonight at 8 pm, Fox will be showing 4 episodes every Friday until they finish airing the entire second season. Go buy Season One on DVD, tape (or TiVo) the first four episodes tonight, and then catch up on Season Two.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Arrested Development
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2005, 16:43 »

Channel 7 here in Australia showed - briefly, gloriously - Arrested Development and Scrubs back-to-back earlier this year - but then canned them both, because T.V. programmers here are dickwits who put great shows on at midnight, wonder why they don't get an audience, and then shelve them because they're not pulling in the ratings.  And then proceed to serve up daily hour-long blocks of Everybody Loathes Raymond.

So in summary: great show!

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Arrested Development
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2005, 18:04 »

WOO there is currently a marathon goin' on FOX. It is good.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

TBW

Re: Arrested Development
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2005, 19:33 »

Quote from: My Aim Is True
hands down, the best show currently on TV.

While I love AD, Scrubs is a more enjoyable and original show.

I will agree that no other show has writing as tight as AD. The best part of the show is that there are jokes scattered through out that you don't get till you re-watch it. A good example of this is in the first episode...

George Micheal (To Maeby): Hey aren't you my cousin?
Maeby: Maeby.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Arrested Development
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2005, 20:19 »

I do enjoy this show, but It would have been great if you told me what timezone it's starting at 8 in.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Willis

Arrested Development
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2005, 13:48 »

I absolutley LOVE Arrested Development!  It is such an original and different show.  I think that is why it has yet to really catch blaze with viewers.  I think the best day of the year so far is when Fox announced the show would be coming back for a 3rd season.  I've been immersed in my Seinfeld (Seasons 1-3) DVDs lately and have found some similarities between the two shows.  Both were radically different from everything else on TV at the time.  Both took awhile to win fans.  Even after season 2 of Seinfeld, they were not certain that they would be back for season 3.  Just like with AD.  One of the big differences is that even if Fox would have dropped AD, I'm convinced that another network (ie NBC) or some cable network would have picked up the show.  I think one of the reasons that fans are reluctant is because of the fact that you need to watch the whole show and multiple shows to get the jokes.  The show will be on monday nights this fall, so for those who haven't seen it, CHECK IT OUT, you will not be disappointed.

~~Willis

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
Arrested Development
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2005, 14:45 »

Totally agree, best show this side of Southpark.  I cant wait a week between new episodes though so my best bet is to wait for season 2 to come out on DVD then watch em all in 3 days.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Arrested Development
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2005, 15:03 »

gothic asshole hahahahahaha.

I love that show, and scrubs. they're both very good. one of the few sitcoms I've bothered to download.
also israel

TBW

Arrested Development
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2005, 21:05 »

Quote from: Willis
I absolutley LOVE Arrested Development!  It is such an original and different show.  I think that is why it has yet to really catch blaze with viewers.
I think it's also because AD is hard to market. A show like Everybody Loves Raymond has dozens of one liners and shortterm gags that can easily fit into (and are funny in) a thirty second promo. The gags on AD don't really follow the traditional "punch, jab, tell the joke as fast as you can" style of other sitcoms, and the gags usually rely on previous scenes, previous episodes, and the audience's knowledge of the characters.

Basically, Tobias in silver paint or Gob accidently revealing a magic trick to a group of kids isn't as funny as it is in the context of the episode or show on the whole.

I love that show, and scrubs. they're both very good. one of the few sitcoms I've bothered to download.
I'm not going to say "Don't download," but I will say, "Don't download without buying DVDs." DVD sales are increasingly becoming more and more important, as seen with Family Guy, with a show like AD... every DVD sale counts.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Arrested Development
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2005, 21:41 »

The trick is to just hold on to yer downloads until the DVD comes out.
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
Arrested Development
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2005, 03:05 »

so anyone else watch those 4 episodes the other night, and notice that when the news was talking about the Bluth Company, they also mentioned a blurb about a killer seal?
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

soap

Arrested Development
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2005, 05:53 »

iv not seen much of this, never knew when it was being shown over here... but the episodes with the guy who played apollo creed were really good, the feeble geeky brother was ace

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Arrested Development
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2005, 07:58 »

Quote from: My Aim Is True
so anyone else watch those 4 episodes the other night, and notice that when the news was talking about the Bluth Company, they also mentioned a blurb about a killer seal?

It's a show that's best on it's third or fourth view that makes it amazing. You get to see where the stories overlap and such.

thehoopiestfrood

Arrested Development
« Reply #13 on: 09 Aug 2005, 17:59 »

The second series starts this week on BBC4 as well. Yay! The first series I found to be on at a difficult time though I saw most of it. I think the times changed, and kept missing episodes, which was annoying. The box set is magnificent.

trolley

Arrested Development
« Reply #14 on: 10 Aug 2005, 05:34 »

Just downloaded the first season, and have watched the first three episodes. Very good. I can see it's a grower.

rive gauche

Arrested Development
« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2005, 09:17 »

i wish david cross really was in the blue man group.. sigh.

trolley

Arrested Development
« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2005, 10:17 »

Watched both season's last week, and they are absolutely brilliant. As was mentioned earlier, the forward planning and overlapping of plots from episode to episode is amazing.

"Tobias, you blow hard!"

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
Arrested Development
« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2005, 20:12 »

Brilliant show, but I hardly every manage to watch it, not being a huge tv person.  I also have a wild and wacky schedule that  makes it hard to regularly watch shows.  That being said, even without knowing the entire story I find the show cuttingly humorous, with just the sort of dry wit I love. The absence of a laugh track is just an added bonus.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Arrested Development
« Reply #18 on: 20 Aug 2005, 15:35 »

The most unique part of the show is that it has no sets. All rooms and places that they use are real rooms that are fully made.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Arrested Development
« Reply #19 on: 20 Aug 2005, 19:34 »

I would say the most unique part is that it kicks this much ass and, miraculously, hasn't been cancelled yet.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

.Kate.

Arrested Development
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2005, 14:21 »

I love this show.  I can't wait for it to come back in the fall.  I'm trying to find it on DVD as well.

chamberk

Arrested Development
« Reply #21 on: 07 Sep 2005, 13:18 »

The bad news?  Henry Winkler's off the show.

The good news?  His replacement is Scott Baio.

Oh yes.  Scott Baio.

And that Charlize Theron girl will be in a few episodes, too, from what I hear.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Arrested Development
« Reply #22 on: 07 Sep 2005, 15:51 »

Scott Baio haiku.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

.Kate.

Arrested Development
« Reply #23 on: 07 Sep 2005, 15:58 »

hahaha that made my day.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Arrested Development
« Reply #24 on: 07 Sep 2005, 16:35 »

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Arrested Development
« Reply #25 on: 08 Sep 2005, 22:45 »

Quote from: Inlander
Channel 7 here in Australia showed - briefly, gloriously - Arrested Development and Scrubs back-to-back earlier this year -

What's deemed junk for Free to Air television is pay television gold. The Comedy Channel on Foxtel/Optus/Auststar is playing Arrested Development and Scrubs back to back weeknights starting from eight o clock. If thats not enough of a reason to start stealing cable, i dont know what is.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

TopolinoBoy

• Not quite a lurker
Arrested Development
« Reply #26 on: 29 Sep 2005, 14:58 »

Has anyone else been slightly disappointed with Season 3?  It just seems too over the top for AD.

*shrug*
Sometimes, when I'm all alone, and it's dark... always late at night... and if I'm sure no one's watching....

I Google myself.

1patheticloser

Arrested Development
« Reply #27 on: 29 Sep 2005, 17:10 »

Yeah, kinda, but you can't deny "For British Eyes Only!" or, Bob Loblaw, Attorney at Law.

TopolinoBoy

• Not quite a lurker
Arrested Development
« Reply #28 on: 30 Sep 2005, 21:00 »

I don't know, some things seemed out of character

"Mama horny"

and

tasting the tears

among them.
Sometimes, when I'm all alone, and it's dark... always late at night... and if I'm sure no one's watching....

I Google myself.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Arrested Development
« Reply #29 on: 11 Nov 2005, 19:10 »

It's been cancelled.

I have no faith in Fox.

Digs

Arrested Development
« Reply #30 on: 14 Nov 2005, 14:53 »

How many Emmy nominations does Fox need to not cancel a show?

Sideways

Arrested Development
« Reply #31 on: 14 Nov 2005, 15:13 »

Apparantly it isn't likely that another network will pick it up, either... the 'pricetag' has been cited.

I mean, they don't have huge name-talent on the show... most of the actors are relatively unknown.  So they have Jason Bateman and Jeffrey Tambor.  Arguably, Bateman isn't going to command a huge salary, so Tambor is the only star left with a large pricetag.  David Cross, while well-known as a comedian, probably isn't earning that much.

And regardless... they pay millions per show to Romano, so he can perform his tired shtick in a tired, laugh-track venue... while a truly funny show may get passed-by?

Fucking Fox...

Well, Family Guy made it back.  Perhaps there will be enough of an outcry to eventually get AD back on the air too?  Family Guy didn't win SAG award, Emmys or anysuchthing...

JLM

Arrested Development
« Reply #32 on: 14 Nov 2005, 17:20 »

It's not the salaries, it's the way the show is made...they don't use traditional television show techniques, and a lot of it appears to be on location.

Sideways

Arrested Development
« Reply #33 on: 15 Nov 2005, 08:17 »

It's all on location.

My point is; for a show that funny, the pricetag is worth it.  It's not like networks haven't spent /billions/ in the past on very clichéd, canned-applause sitcoms.

sjbrot

Arrested Development
« Reply #34 on: 15 Nov 2005, 18:25 »

I was reading this thread waiting for the big "cancelled" bomb to rear it's head.

David Cross mouthing off about Fox should be of some consolation.

trolley

Arrested Development
« Reply #35 on: 19 Nov 2005, 07:33 »

I can't believe they cancelled. No wonder British comedy is always cited as the best in the world. As soon as a genuinely funny comedy comes along in America, it gets cancelled or bastardised.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Arrested Development
« Reply #36 on: 19 Nov 2005, 11:06 »

Well, the problem was that nobody watched it. And whether or not you would like to think so, TV stations are not in the buisness to make quality programming. The run the same shit until people get tired of it, which is never, because the average intelligence of the United states is roughly enough to fill a metaphysical pickle jar.

JLM

Arrested Development
« Reply #37 on: 19 Nov 2005, 11:49 »

I love me some metaphysical pickles.

I'm now going to point out the irony of deriding the intelligence of the U.S. populace with a statement that confuses the words "metaphorical" and "metaphysical."  Metaphysical is a possibility, but metaphorical would make a lot more sense.  But it's an indie music site, so my pointing it out is obviously appreciative, rather than deriding.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Arrested Development
« Reply #38 on: 19 Nov 2005, 13:05 »

Quote from: trolley
I can't believe they cancelled. No wonder British comedy is always cited as the best in the world. As soon as a genuinely funny comedy comes along in America, it gets cancelled or bastardised.

I'd say its more due to the fact that usually when the creators realize they aren't making funny episodes anymore in Britain, they pull the plug, and the network isn't stupid enough to try and shit out a few more seasons.

I guess its essentially the same point though, when you look at what happened to The Simpsons, and Cheers.

Also, that David Cross thing is great "Maybe if you can't market a show that won five mother-fucking emmys, the problem isn't here, its in marketing"
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

zmeiat_joro

Arrested Development
« Reply #39 on: 19 Nov 2005, 14:00 »

Quote from: JLM
I love me some metaphysical pickles.

I spent half a minute meditating on metaphysical pickles before I read the rest of your post. You ruined it! :/

EDIT: I hadn't read the previous post; you can see he means metaphorical from context, so no need to correct? Maybe it wasn't a mistake but an attempt at humour?
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Arrested Development
« Reply #40 on: 19 Nov 2005, 14:38 »

Let's get this man in the I'm right hat!

A pretty poor attempt, though. My jokes are usually better.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Arrested Development
« Reply #41 on: 19 Nov 2005, 17:45 »

Quote from: ironoxide887
Let's get this man in the I'm right hat!

Are... are you coming onto me?

Also, I have come to the conclusion that something about having a show with nine awesome main characters does something to set off a chemical reaction in the head of the fox programming exec, that causes them to push the big red cancel button.

Inlander

• coprophage
Arrested Development
« Reply #42 on: 19 Nov 2005, 18:12 »

Arrested Development is a terrific show, and undoubtedly the Fox execs are a bunch of asses (as in donkeys)/arses (as in backsides)  - however, for those who haven't watched Arrested Development right since the beginning, or who haven't put the hard yards in getting to know the characters and all their foibles, I can see how it would be a very hard show to start watching.  I watched an episode a few weeks ago with my housemate, who'd never seen it before: I was laughing myself silly, while he had no idea what was going on.  The humour of the show relies to such a huge extent on the viewer's intimate knowledge of the characters, their backgrounds, and how they regard each other, that for somebody who doesn't know all those little details I imagine it would be quite hard to get into.  That's one reason why the show is so good, but it's also I think one reason why it struggled to pick up viewers.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Arrested Development
« Reply #43 on: 19 Nov 2005, 18:23 »

I'd just like to mention an AD moment I was watching this morning that had me in stitches. This is at about 8 in the morning, people are wondering why I'm laughing so loudly at this obscene time.

"HE'S GOT BEES!" *guard tackles Gob* "You're not allowed bees in here"

trill

Arrested Development
« Reply #44 on: 20 Nov 2005, 22:43 »

So, is Fox just not going to show the remaining episodes?

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Arrested Development
« Reply #45 on: 21 Nov 2005, 17:03 »

Well, they'll definitely show up on a DVD if they're not planning on showing them on TV. They could probably still be profitable straight to DVD.

kantsuu

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Arrested Development
« Reply #46 on: 30 Nov 2005, 22:13 »

My cousin very very recently got me into this show, starting at the beginning of season 1.  There's some viewing party going on at USC on Monday that I might be at that apparently will likely have Steve Holt, George-Micheal, and some others in attendance.

Aside from talking about the obvious greatness, I thought I should forward this on to you folks.

If you really want to get the show to keep going, I suggest you write a letter to the following people:

Peter Liguori
President of Entertainment
FOX Broadcasting
10201 West Pico Blvd.
Building 100, Room 4450
Los Angeles CA 90035

Marcy Ross
Senior Vice President of Current Programming
FOX Broadcasting
10201 West Pico Blvd
Building 100, Room 4150
Los Angeles, CA 90035

As I was asked to do:
"Please tell them that you are a huge fan of Arrested Development, and
that you are extremely disappointed that they scaled back the show so
much, and that you urge them to keep the show on for longer.  You can
threaten to boycott the network, you can plead with them, you can say
whatever - just you need to make it clear that you really love the
show and urge them to keep it going strong."
"As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Paper Beats Rock

Arrested Development
« Reply #47 on: 03 Dec 2005, 21:09 »

Is the third season starting again this week for you guys?  I was downloading them after they aired over there but for some reason they stopped coming and I heard that there was some kind of break in the scheduling, what was the deal with that?

I just love the 'Next time on Arrested Development' bits, and the one when Tobias played the father in a TV drama/thriller series-

'And the narrating was terrible...really terrible.'

'And that's how you narrate a story.'

Inlander

• coprophage
Arrested Development
« Reply #48 on: 03 Dec 2005, 22:52 »

The . . . second, I think (it's hard to keep track with the way Channel 7 yanks it off-air all the time) season has just recently finished screening here in Australia (and now that it's the non-ratinng season for the T.V. networks, the third season has just started).  Is it just my imagination, or have the "next time, on Arrested Development" things started actually telling you what's going to happen next time, on Arrested Development?  In the first season they were just jokes, but in the second they actually seem to be serious.  Such as Tobias breaking into the house of the lawyer played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus.  I preferred them when they were jokes.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Arrested Development
« Reply #49 on: 04 Dec 2005, 12:01 »

They're showing the third season here already?  Damn. I should actually pay attention to the TV Guide, I missed the first episode of Veronica Mars too. I'm just so damn used to the off-ratings season  being used to waste time on the shitty shows they pick up as package deals with the big ones. I think I'm just gonna download them, although I still haven't seen the second season either, so I might have to download that before I try for the third season, unless the DVDs come out before I finish, through some small miracle of God.

Also, that whole blind lawyer thing was at the end of  S1, but I did notice that kinda thing happening  from time to time even a little earlier in the first season as well. I can't think of an example, but I'll look over it when I get home this arvo.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up