THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 20:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica (Contains Episode Spoilers)  (Read 12315 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

Anyone else watching this season?

I love how much more action they've managed to get in thus far this season while struggling with getting everyone back in one place after last season and the loss of Adama and Roslin's leadership. It's been fantastic this season and good GOD the Cylon Centurions are the scariest sci-fi soldiers ever. They're actually accurate and unrelenting. Totally realistic and just...terrifyingly good. Watching them unleash carnage on the Galactica last episode and on everyone left on Kobol tonight was some of the best action any TV show has ever dared.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Praeserpium Machinarum

Battlestar Galactica (Contains Episode Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2005, 01:26 »

I have only seen some of the first season, it's okay, could be better, my big brother is crazy with it, and he has never been a sci-fi fan. Well besides our mutual reverance for Dune the first book(all the other books were not nearly as good) but that's it.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2005, 02:25 »

^ There's your problem.

You've only seen some of the first season.

If you haven't watched every episode obsessively, it's not as good. It's a very fluid show from one episode to the next.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2005, 05:16 »

Loved the first season, wasn't at all aware that a second season is out.

So, Boomer actually killed Adama, rather than just wounding him, then? Figured they'd do that. It'd have greater emotional impact than just grievously wounding him.

I definitely prefer the new version to the old one, which seemed to have but one plot hook - the robot dog runs off, the kid chases it, Starbuck and Apollo rescue them, they shoot some guys in shiney metal suits, they escape. The new version's darker, more effective, more intelligent, and more sexy.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2005, 05:45 »

call me old-fashioned, but i prefer it when new shows don't take old classics and completely change the stories.  i hadn't heard much of anything about the new series when i sat down to watch the start of it with my dad.  i got up and walked out about halfway through it.  it was just godawful.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2005, 05:55 »

See, that's pretty much the opposite to what I was like: I thought the original version was godawful, and never even watched more than a few minutes of it.

To each their own, I guess. Though I will say that I think you need to be a bit more broad-minded and try watching it again.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2005, 16:51 »

Quote from: est
call me old-fashioned, but i prefer it when new shows don't take old classics and completely change the stories.  i hadn't heard much of anything about the new series when i sat down to watch the start of it with my dad.  i got up and walked out about halfway through it.  it was just godawful.

Now see, when I said that last on this very forum, I got totally slaughtered!

What's with that?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Mnementh

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2005, 21:17 »

Because you said it in a much more aggravating way, and were rather dimissive of those who liked it.

I enjoy the hell out of this show.  The Miniseries was meh, but good to watch to see the set up for the show over all.  It suffered from bad writing.  The television show has rectified this, and the acting is superb.  I honestly think this show is better than the original.  It is also probably the best acted and well written drama on television right now.

It is extremely well written, the characters are fully developed and very human (even the cylons).  The good guys are never always good and the bad guys aren't always pure evil, the guinuinely believe in what they are doing.  The plot tends to focus on the characters, which is why it really is a drama on space as opposed to a rehashed shoot em up piece of science fiction trash.  In fact it isn't a show for someone who isn't into thinking about what they are watching, there is a hell of a lot of subtle character development that will affect things later on.  The writers fit in little moments of human tenderness and emotion without being melodramatic or beating you over the head with it. It shows fear in a very honest way, the heros are human.

Season one is out on DVD, I plan on picking it up as soon as I can.  Taken as a whole it is a very compelling story, and there have been episodes which have had me on the edge of my seat or tearing up.

Season two is three episodes in, so far I'm enjoying it just as much.  Edward James Olmos has been taken out of the plot for a few episodes, and I'm glad they did it, his character is my favourite, but he is such a charasmatic actor that he tends to take up the screen.  I was wondering how the rest of the actors would manage without him holding up the show, and they're doing a superb job.

I don't care if you don't like it, what bothers me are folks who are dismissive of it without giving it a try, simply because it isn't the original.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2005, 23:50 »

I watched a whole episode and thought it sucked major chuff.

Maybe it was of this badly written miniseries you speak of. Because I remember bad writing AND THEY CHANGED STARBUCK INTO A WOMAN. NO.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Mnementh

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2005, 00:04 »

Yes, Starbuck was a woman in the miniseries and the show, and she's an awesome character.  I have no idea why people can't get past that.

OMG A GIRL CAN'T BE A HOTSHOT AND BETTER THAN TEH BOYZ!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2005, 00:09 »

I hope Adama gets better soon. Tigh's incompetence as a commanding officer is starting to grate on me. He's letting conditions on the ship spiral out of control and his order for martial law was just disheartening. I'm really missing Adama. Even when he did the wrong thing, you knew it was for the right reason. Watching him get gunned down was like watching a beloved grandfather be murdered.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2005, 00:12 »

No, it's the fact that if you were going to compile a list of classic male science fiction TV characters that it would be really, really stupid to render as female in a remake, Starbuck would come between Captain Kirk and Flash Gordon. I can see no actual reason to do it, it's needless fucking around, and must wreak havoc with whatever vestiges of the original plot are left. It's just like remaking Alien with a male Ripley. The question is, WHY? I could think of no reasons that were not particularly cynical.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2005, 00:17 »

Starbuck is a fanfrakkingtastic character in the new show. She's a drunkard, a hotshot pilot, fraks anything whenever she feels like, and is a total screwup.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2005, 00:31 »

Thing is though.

If you're going to change half the characters, totally redesign the enemies, rework the entire plot, the ship designs, everything...why make it Battlestar Galactica?

I mean, they've changed the plot to the degree where a bit more work could have been an entirely new series. I appreciate they've gone for a more realistic and to the contemporary mind better approach, and I'm sure as a seperate series I'd probably be all over it from day one (It's not like I can watch it regularly anyway, I don't have Sci-Fi or Sky) But it is patently NOT the cheesy old Battlestar Galactica of my youth. That's what I disagree with in the main, it's just a different beast wearing a famous name to make sure it gets an audience.

soap

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2005, 06:02 »

iv only a few episodes of this - the really early destruction of the colonies one - and im not sure of it, it kinda reminded me a bit of space above and beyond the way it looked  (prepares for being murdered)
it was really good, but why not just make a brand new programme instead of "reinventing" an old one ?

im with kharbevnor (is that a bad thing?) the old starbuck was wicked, i've got nothing against having a female lead character but i don't get why he was the one to get changed . . . . . maybe thats just because when i was little i loved the original, i've still got it some of it on video and watch it every now and again.

It's just like remaking Alien with a male Ripley.

wasn't ripley originally intended to be a man, but then it got changed as the movie was developed ?

Stranger Dan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2005, 07:15 »

The new Starbuck may be a girl but she has a bigger dick than the original.

Simulacra

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2005, 14:23 »

yeah, dirk benedict is kind of a pussy

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2005, 17:02 »

Starbuck Version 2.0 (AKA Kara Thrace) rocks on eighty-seven different levels and counting. The original was just this blonde eye-candy dude who shot stuff. The new version is a person.

My line with the new version of the show is that you really shouldn't go to it with any preconceptions. Forget EVERYTHING from the first version, and treat it as an entirely new show. Difficult, considering the name, perhaps, so why not just think of it as "Fluffy McRabbit fights the Bad Men" or something?

You'll quickly come to love it if you can just let it slide that it isn't the same show, and has never tried to be. Then, start looking for what ties it to the original. I'm told it's there.

trill

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2005, 20:51 »

I never watched the original, so I really don't know how the two compare. But the new one is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. I watched the marathon on Sci-fi the week before the season premiere out of boredom, and decided to keep watching because I thought that Baltar's plot was kind of hillarious. Then the show went and surprised me by actually being good beyond that. These people have layers, real emotions, and their motivations make sense. It's not something that I see in most TV shows.

And if something like them making Starbuck a girl is your main problem with the show? Pretend it's a different show when you watch it. Because, you know, it *is* a different show.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2005, 21:12 »

But that is the essence of my problem!

Anyway, as I've said, I can't watch it, so I don't really know why I got sucked into this >_<.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #20 on: 05 Aug 2005, 20:04 »

Mmm...tonight's was frakking awesome. I was so happy to see Adama back up and walking.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

trill

« Reply #21 on: 06 Aug 2005, 00:38 »

But there was no obligatory Apollo-covered-in-blood scene! Don't they know why the girls watch?

Ahem. That was quite awesome.
Except for the Starbuck playing triangle scene. I don't want them to be setting up a relationship for her with will-soon-die-guy, it's way too cliche.
And, while I don't have a problem with how it's playing out, per se, I do think that the whole Chief/Boomer storyline moved way too fast tonight.

Mnementh

« Reply #22 on: 06 Aug 2005, 15:24 »

Maybe, but the one thing this show isn't afraid to do is move quickly, as if it were actually a military situation.

I wasn't expecting that girl to go all Jack Ruby on Boomer though!  This season has excellent so far.  I'm glad Adama is back because I really can't stand Tigh's wife.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #23 on: 06 Aug 2005, 16:34 »

So they DIDN'T kill Adama?

Dammit, WHY is this series not playing in the UK yet?

Trekster

why, you ask?
« Reply #24 on: 10 Aug 2005, 05:58 »

Hey Switchblade:

Why isn't this season playing in the UK yet?  Because it's OUR turn to have it first.  UK got season one several weeks ahead of the US.

Maybe season 3? Or the second half of season 2 (which won't premier here until January)?

Share the Galactica!

--T

Sathanas

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #25 on: 10 Aug 2005, 06:02 »

I loved the nasty little trick Baltar pulled to try to get information on Cylon infiltrators out of Boomer. That shit was cold, and yet he seemed to be kinda panicking while he did it.

But then, Baltar is always panicking.
Estuans interius ira vehementi.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #26 on: 10 Aug 2005, 13:43 »

Quote from: Switchblade
So they DIDN'T kill Adama?

Dammit, WHY is this series not playing in the UK yet?

It's not because of how Sci-Fi Channel works.

They split up their shows into two half seasons with a huge break in the middle. So while we have to wait for a couple months in between, Canada and the UK will have the entire season as one unbroken block.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nihilist

« Reply #27 on: 11 Aug 2005, 09:22 »

I have to admit that I'm rather liking the show.  The only problem is the speed.  They just love to drag shit out.

trill

« Reply #28 on: 11 Aug 2005, 22:54 »

See now, I feel pretty much the opposite about it. Except for how long Starbuck has been gone. But she'll be back with the fleet next week, apparently.

Mnementh

« Reply #29 on: 12 Aug 2005, 20:03 »

I'm loving it.

When the heavy raider lifted off at the end, I got this wierd sense of Yavin IV.

trill

« Reply #30 on: 13 Aug 2005, 23:36 »

Okay, I admittedly might be going insane, but is there any chance that the cylons maybe impregnanted Starbuck? I mean, all this time we've thoguht that Sharon's baby is the one in Gaius's hallucinations, (visions? whatever...) but what if it's really Starbuck's baby? Or it could be that both of them are pregnant... Six seemed, IIRC, to imply that there were more cylon babies on the way.

I'm upset that I made the wrong call on what's his name dying soon. Very glad that Apollo couldn't turn on his father, at least not that much/publicly.

Mnementh

« Reply #31 on: 14 Aug 2005, 14:22 »

I got the impression that female cylons could get pregnent from human males, cylons couldn't reproduce with cylons, and cylon males were unable to impregnant females.

I like how Adama cried over Boomer.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #32 on: 15 Aug 2005, 03:49 »

I'm strongly thinking Starbuck was impregnated with Six and Baltar's baby.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Mnementh

« Reply #33 on: 23 Sep 2005, 22:18 »

Season Finale:

It's great to have a grown-up sci-fi show out there.

Chief and Helo's reactions were spot on, particularly against the cold premeditation of that rape. I think that of the shows that I've seen, in terms of sheer brutal humanity(I don't mean the good kind, I mean the violent, passionate, and impulsive) this one was the most intense.  Most shows wouldn't touch that.

The end showed why Adama is such an effective leader, just hate that that I have to wait until January to see how it concludes

In general I love the acting on this show, and oh boy, Michelle Forbes :durr:.  I'm watching again.

Rominova

« Reply #34 on: 24 Sep 2005, 02:28 »

I can't wait to see Adama kick ass again.
He is the leader, no one else did it right, not his xo, not the admarial, not the president by herself when she tried to split the fleet.
The only thing is they could kill those men if they wanted to, but I don't think they will. Man I can't wait to see season 3, that was for me, much more of a cliff hanger then the end of season 2. How much accidental damage could be caused by all those fighers within the fleet?
How much friendly fire? How the hell can this come to an end without some big ass fireball that used to be a battle star?

Mnementh

« Reply #35 on: 06 Jan 2006, 19:41 »

Is anyone else watching this!

Holy shit!

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #36 on: 06 Jan 2006, 20:25 »

Well, I must say I'm glad to see a topic about this.

I've been a strict follower of this series for a while now.  quite awsome, actually.  The Miniseries sucked out right, because it had a different director.  I think all the changes in the plot, characters, etc...  were done well enough to make it good.  After watching the first episode of season 3/2.5/whatever it's called now, I must say, it wasn't hard to find out what was going to happen, but it was cool.  I personaly find it an amazing sci-fi/drama series (kinda like lost in a wierd way...no, maybe not), but not so good a remake of the origanal.  Still, I find the series awsome, and watching it in high-def is even better ;)
*Bearer runs...
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Mnementh

« Reply #37 on: 06 Jan 2006, 20:43 »

Quote from: Bearer
watching it in high-def is even better ;)

*Bearer runs...

That's right, you'd better run!

*steals Bearer's high def set*
Pages: [1]   Go Up