Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opeth  (Read 5038 times)

Anton

Opeth
« on: 30 Jul 2005, 12:24 »

I for one am very happy opeth got recomended in  "recomended listening"   what an awesome band

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Opeth
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2005, 12:31 »

Opeth are pretty cool. Thing is though, Edge of Sanity should have got the credit for most of what Opeth did. Oh, but for Dan Swano's love of appaling Swedish record labels, things could be a lot different!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Super Dave

Opeth
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2005, 22:42 »

I will be cut down for saying this.

I'd heard an infinite amount of praise directed at this band, and they were at the sounds of the underground tour. So, I work my way up to front row, expecting simething sweet. I hadn't heard their stuff before, so I went with an open mind. Worst show I've EVER heard. Ever.
Solos - Sounded terrible
Beat - None
Singing - Don't get me started
Headbaning retard next to me - Punched in face (hey, they got in my space)

Should I try to find some other songs by them? If so, Any suggestions?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Opeth
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2005, 23:35 »

I've always been partial to 'Bleak' and 'The Moor' myself. But as said, you'd probably honestly be better off getting Edge of Sanity's Purgatory Afterglow or Crimson albums. Or any Agalloch.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
Opeth
« Reply #4 on: 03 Aug 2005, 09:21 »

Quote from: Super Dave
I will be cut down for saying this.

I'd heard an infinite amount of praise directed at this band, and they were at the sounds of the underground tour. So, I work my way up to front row, expecting simething sweet. I hadn't heard their stuff before, so I went with an open mind. Worst show I've EVER heard. Ever.
Solos - Sounded terrible
Beat - None
Singing - Don't get me started
Headbaning retard next to me - Punched in face (hey, they got in my space)

Should I try to find some other songs by them? If so, Any suggestions?
  I've never heard them live, but I hear they have basically no stage presence.  Plus, Opeth is complicated enought that trying to digest it first in a live setting is just silly. Listen to Blackwater Park. The whole album.

And, I think Dan Swano is interested in way too much different stuff to ever concentrate on a band enough to make it famous.

Praeserpium Machinarum

Opeth
« Reply #5 on: 03 Aug 2005, 10:08 »

I think I have said this before but I thought Damnation was a boring record, that pretty much scared me away, pure boredom...

Signum_Tenebrae

Opeth
« Reply #6 on: 03 Aug 2005, 10:15 »

Opeth is a horribly, horribly overrated band.  I'm not sure why so many people lavish them with vast amounts of praise.

I guess because they sound "artsy" to your average 16 year old Dimmu fan.

Hatebunny

Opeth
« Reply #7 on: 03 Aug 2005, 13:44 »

Quote from: Signum_Tenebrae
Opeth is a horribly, horribly overrated band.  I'm not sure why so many people lavish them with vast amounts of praise.

I guess because they sound "artsy" to your average 16 year old Dimmu fan.

they have cooler T-shirts than Metallica.

Super Dave

Opeth
« Reply #8 on: 03 Aug 2005, 21:52 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I like how you said that, and at the concert they only had a black shirt with that fancy white "O" on it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Opeth
« Reply #9 on: 03 Aug 2005, 22:22 »

Yeah, but don't knock that O.

Seriously, I lost an argument badly once because, on reflection, it's probably actually one of the coolest-looking individual O's on the planet.

Kelamin

• Balloon animal serial killer
Opeth
« Reply #10 on: 03 Aug 2005, 22:58 »

I managed to get Blackwater Park recently and i've been slowly listening to it. I've enjoyed what i've heard so far, but need to give it a few serious listens.
"I miss you cupcake"

Conatonc

Opeth
« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2005, 22:13 »

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum
I think I have said this before but I thought Damnation was a boring record, that pretty much scared me away, pure boredom...

Yeah, well, Damnation was their one-off "soft" album. Everything else they've ever done has dynamics and more than one riff per song. "Bleak," "Demon of the Fall," and "A Fair Judgement" are much better songs to judge them by.

Conatonc

Opeth
« Reply #12 on: 10 Aug 2005, 22:15 »

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum

Yeah, well, Damnation was their one-off "soft" album. Everything else they've ever done has dynamics and more than one riff per song. "Bleak," "Demon of the Fall," and "A Fair Judgement" are much better songs to judge them by.
Pages: [1]   Go Up