THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check out this game!  (Read 10277 times)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Check out this game!
« on: 01 Aug 2005, 14:18 »

Post links, screenshots, what have you HERE about any upcoming games that you really like the look of.

I got the video for "Alan Wake" on the cover disc for this month's PC Gamer. Damned fine looking game, I think. Check out those screenshots.

The preview video of "Dreamfall" also caught my attention.

Please post stuff on the games that are getting YOU ready to spend money...
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Check out this game!
« Reply #1 on: 01 Aug 2005, 14:25 »

This game will make me actually dust of my Gamecube and play it. I am preordering it soon.

twentyfour

Check out this game!
« Reply #2 on: 01 Aug 2005, 14:57 »

Alan Wake looks awesome.... but Dreamfall felt more like I was looking at someones demo reel, sure it looked pretty n all but they didn't even attempt to give you a hint about the game :(

I'm pretty ignorant of the gaming world so I'm gonna be watching this thread like a hawk

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Check out this game!
« Reply #3 on: 01 Aug 2005, 17:04 »

What is that going to be, like the 53rd Zelda game? What are they calling it, "Every last penny?"

Interesting Mod news: a team of absolute nutballs is doing what Valve didn't, and rebuilding Half-Life from scratch, using the Source engine.

Valve released "Half-Life Source" a few months after they released HL2, but it was essentially the same game, just with better physics. It didn't actually look different.

This mod team are basically building Half-Life, using Source to create the same game, but with HL2's better graphics. Apparently, they're about 30% done thus far, so it should be a while coming, but it should, hopefully, be worth the wait.

www.blackmesasource.com

24: Agreed, the vid for Dreamfall didn't give much away, but that wasn't the selling point, for me. It was the music that caught my attention, in fact. A full symphonic score actually played by a proper orchestra and recorded, rather than being synthesized in MIDI is quite a rare thing in a computer game that isn't a movie tie-in.

Plus, the wizard chick is hot.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Check out this game!
« Reply #4 on: 01 Aug 2005, 17:20 »

http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/OGS/SCUS-97472/Site/

wanda and the colossus!

edit - er, i meant shadow of the colossus

previous named'd!

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Check out this game!
« Reply #5 on: 01 Aug 2005, 17:25 »

Quote from: Switchblade
What is that going to be, like the 53rd Zelda game? What are they calling it, "Every last penny?"

actually, a proper subtitle would be  "another amazing game"

lets see.

zelda and zelda 2 for nes
links awakening for gb
a link to the past for snes
ocarnia of time for n64
wind waker for GCN
twilight princess for GCN

thats 7 games, and theyre all amazing.

i guess if  you include the third party games it gets a little higher
oracle of ages and time for GBC
majoras mask for n64
minish cap for GBA
four swords for GBA
four swords of GCN

there are a lot of series' with alot more games...namely megaman, streetfighter, finalfantasy, etc. and only a handful of them can stay as fun, groundbreaking, and just awe inspriring as the zelda series.

im not even a fanboy, either!

Tedd

Check out this game!
« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug 2005, 22:51 »

I'm watching approximately more mods than I can count for HL2. I'm watching both Resident Evil mods, Perfect Dark mod, Black Mesa Source, Sin Episodes (not a mod), Half-Life 2: Aftermath (also not a mod, more of an expansion) Combine Destiny, and quite a few others via HL2Mods.Co.Uk.

I'm also watching Devil May Cry 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 coming out on the Boomerang. For those of you who didn't get that joke, punch yourselves. It's the PS3.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Check out this game!
« Reply #7 on: 01 Aug 2005, 23:13 »

dreamfall looks kinda ok i guess, but i am starting to get sick of shiny RPGs.  i want a really dingy, dark, gritty RPG to come out.  mostly medieval, with a small dash of magic thrown in, perhaps.  maybe based on the Source engine, that'd be pretty cool.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Check out this game!
« Reply #8 on: 02 Aug 2005, 02:02 »

I'll buy Oblivion. Other than that, I've given up on gaming.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Check out this game!
« Reply #9 on: 02 Aug 2005, 03:56 »

SiN episodes does look pretty awesome, I'll agree. I'm just glad that I'll have broadband internet before it comes out, because there's no WAY that episodic gaming would work via a 56k modem.

Anyway, it seems that Black Hole Entertainment, the makers of "Armies of Exigo", has started working on a Warhammer RTS. I don't have any pictures online just yet, but it looks somewhat spiffing at first glance.

...unfortunately, neither the BHE website nor GW's website actually seem to go so far as mentioning anything about the project yet. Presumably, that'll change in time. Odd that I have screenshots in a magazine, but can't find anything on the web about it...

Eh.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Check out this game!
« Reply #10 on: 02 Aug 2005, 04:26 »

Quote from: est
dreamfall looks kinda ok i guess, but i am starting to get sick of shiny RPGs.  i want a really dingy, dark, gritty RPG to come out.  mostly medieval, with a small dash of magic thrown in, perhaps.  maybe based on the Source engine, that'd be pretty cool.

Est, sometimes you've gotta go for the classics.  Get your hands on a copy of Ultima V - you won't find a more atmospheric and gritty R.P.G. as far as I'm concerned.  Sure it came out about almost 20 years ago and is entirely 2-D, but if you haven't played it then you're missing out on one of the great games of the genre.

(For the record, the internet is full of Ultima nerds dedicated to releasing programmes that enable the Ultima series to be run on modern machines.)

Karn

Check out this game!
« Reply #11 on: 02 Aug 2005, 12:56 »

Switchblade, you aren't thinking of Dawn of War, are you? That's the latest WH40K PC game out, to my knowledge. I believe an expansion is already in the works, too.

I'm personally looking forward to Civilization IV. I'm not really a Sid Meier fanatic, but the preview article in one of the past few PC Gamer magazines made it look pretty kickass. Big Huge Games is also coming out with a followup to Rise of Nations, (set in a fantasy world this time) but I'm afraid the name doesn't come to mind.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Check out this game!
« Reply #12 on: 02 Aug 2005, 13:56 »

Dude, do me some fucking credit, will you? Dawn of War was released last year, and made number 25 on PC Gamer UK's official top 100 games for PC list. I've completed the story mode, had my tail whipped at online play a few times, and am looking forward to the "Winter Assault" expansion pack, featuring the Imperial Guard, with great anticipation. Also, it was made by Relic, not Black Hole. "Winter Assault" should be released in October of this year, if all goes according to plan.

There is an actual WARHAMMER, as in "Warhammer Fantasy Battles" RTS game in the works, with orcs, elves, dwarves, wizards, crossbows, cannon and that kind of thing. I could provide screenshots out of the mag, if required.

It's simply that, despite releasing screenshots and stuff to the press, neither GW nor Black Hole seem to have put anything up on their respective websites about the project... yet.

And no, i'm not talking about Mythic Entertainment's Warhammer Online, the MMORPG, either. Which, incidentally, was abandoned a few months ago following a funding shortfall, but has since been picked up again. I currently has a provisional release date of "some time in 2007"

I actually know my shit, see.

Karn

Check out this game!
« Reply #13 on: 02 Aug 2005, 16:01 »

I actually know my shit, see.

O.O;

Yes. Yes, you do. Although I doubted DoW was the one you meant, I felt too lazy to look up the one you were talking about. Apologies.

*kow-tows*

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Check out this game!
« Reply #14 on: 02 Aug 2005, 16:14 »

Your impudence will be overlooked.... this time.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what "Prey" has to offer. Alongside Quake IV, it looks to be a game using the DOOM 3 engine that will (hopefully) turn out to actually show some depth. Gravity-defying geometry, portal-based teleporters, plus the ability to leave your body and manipulate the world as a spirit. Not too shabby... I hope. Oh, also exploding alien crab-grenades.

The video I have certainly makes it look promising. There's this moment where a whole jumbo jet has been teleported aboard this absurdly huge alien starship, without losing any of its speed first, so it winds up crashing in flames. super cool stuff.

Stranger Dan

• Emoticontraindication
Check out this game!
« Reply #15 on: 02 Aug 2005, 16:33 »

I am pretty excited for Battilion Wars. There should be more good real time strategies for the consoles. It sucks that since I can't keep my computer up to gaming requirements so I'm pretty much cut off from one of my favorite genres. Plus Advance Wars 2 is a wonderful game even if I'm not too great at it.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it is a first party Nintendo game with voice acting in its cut scenes. What are the odds of that happening?

Karn

Check out this game!
« Reply #16 on: 02 Aug 2005, 16:35 »

Mmm, that does look promising. I was disappointed by Doom 3--it'll be interesting to see what a different developer does with the same graphic engine. (Although 2kGames' site claims they've made some interesting enhancements to it.)
The features they talked about seemed pretty cool. The website mentioned something about "Wallwalking"--could these be the gravity defying physics? :-)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Check out this game!
« Reply #17 on: 02 Aug 2005, 16:48 »

Yeah, from what the video's showing, the gravity in large stretches of the game is oriented in different directions. In some places, there are walkways that go up walls and across ceilings, in other places, there are switches on the walls that reverse gravity, or orient it in a new direction. In some places, "down" just happens to be in the direction of whatever surface you're standing on.

They use the disorientation to good effect, too, not to mention using the mutable gravity to drive a few puzzles and obstacles.

Not sure if the vid I've got is available on that website. The one I have is about quarter of an hour long, and consists pretty much exclusively of in-game footage.

Karn

Check out this game!
« Reply #18 on: 02 Aug 2005, 16:59 »

Is this video called something like "E3 Demonstration" or some such? I looked up "Prey" on Fileplanet, and it came up with a 170-something MB video by such a name. With a 9-hour estimated download time, I'll be content to stick with screenshots for now. :-)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Check out this game!
« Reply #19 on: 02 Aug 2005, 17:04 »

Cetainly looks like an E3 demo. Good job it came on a magazine cover disk, really. It's a slightly glitchy vid, but the game looks shit hot.

SamH

Check out this game!
« Reply #20 on: 02 Aug 2005, 17:28 »

Personaly here is a selection of my fav games on PC:

FPS : Half Life 2 amazing !
MMORPG: World of Warcraft, its like ... wow ! =\

ermmmmmmm other games like, Unreal Tournament 2004 and BF2 are also in there =]

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Check out this game!
« Reply #21 on: 03 Aug 2005, 03:44 »

Just a polite reminder: this isn't a "my favourite games" thread, it's a "Hey, check out this game that's in production, it looks really cool" thread.

Also: agreed. HL2 is the shit.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Check out this game!
« Reply #22 on: 03 Aug 2005, 06:21 »

Now see, this is why I stopped following gaming (apart from my PC running out of hard disk space to install the fucking things! 5gigabytesargh!) As far as Warhammer RTS goes, I never really got tired of Dark Omens.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Check out this game!
« Reply #23 on: 03 Aug 2005, 08:35 »

Dark Omens And Shadow of the Horned Rat were okay but somewhat flawed, I thought. This here's not the place to go into details, but I felt that, while good, Dark Omens never really adressed what the first title got wrong. It just looked better, is all.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Check out this game!
« Reply #24 on: 03 Aug 2005, 09:42 »

Advanced Wars: Duel Strike.

Orbital bombardment, air combat on the top screen and ground combat on the bottom screen, being able to play Advanced Wars in it's turn based traditonal glory or frantic real time.  I can barely contain my excitement.  Just 20 more days.

Also, Nanostray looks promising.  Mmm, twitchy hand cramp inducing shooters.

SamH

Check out this game!
« Reply #25 on: 03 Aug 2005, 17:32 »

Just a polite reminder: this isn't a "my favourite games" thread, it's a "Hey, check out this game that's in production, it looks really cool" thread.

Also: agreed. HL2 is the shit.

*sigh* i'll go off and create on then .....

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Check out this game!
« Reply #26 on: 04 Aug 2005, 08:43 »

Well, through the miracles of the Intarwebs and the Googling, I've managed to dig up a little dirt on the Warhammer RTS. Not much, but some.

Seems that I was looking in the wrong places for information that doesn't really exist yet. Black Hole Entertainment renamed themselves "Synergy Interactive" for starters, which threw me off some. Despite my best efforts, I still can't find an official website devoted specifically to Synergy Interactive or the game, despite their putting in an appearance with some early game footage at E3.

The game publishing deal went to Namco, but their website has given me absolutely nothing.

However, I did manage to find THIS on GameSpot, but that's about it. In fact, I ran into the same article no less than ten times during my search.

It would seem that this here is one secretive project. Still trying to find screenshots, I'm afraid.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Check out this game!
« Reply #27 on: 04 Aug 2005, 10:56 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
Advanced Wars: Duel Strike.

Orbital bombardment, air combat on the top screen and ground combat on the bottom screen, being able to play Advanced Wars in it's turn based traditonal glory or frantic real time.  I can barely contain my excitement.  Just 20 more days.

Also, Nanostray looks promising.  Mmm, twitchy hand cramp inducing shooters.

nanostray was supposedly a big let down.
:(

Addius

Check out this game!
« Reply #28 on: 04 Aug 2005, 13:30 »

Only game I'm anticipating right now would be HOMM5.. Apparently lots of changes so either it'll kick ass or suck hard.. Knowing myself I'll probably enjoy it no matter what.. HOMM2 was still the best imo.

And.. I don't remember where to find a few links to it but they are out there ~_~

Acclrator

Check out this game!
« Reply #29 on: 04 Aug 2005, 18:04 »

Alan Trap has some really nice graphics, but it seems like a new version of Myst. That wasn't all that great a game in my opinion. I'm really looking for to Final Fantasy 12, but not so much anymore. (I'll say why later.) Also looking forward to Quake 4 (the first two rocked. I don't count 3 because it was online/arena type).  Also, has anyone heard any word on a sequel to "XIII" (The FPS.) The game play was amazing and it was very well done.

Now about FFXII:
Yasumi Matsuno Steps Down as FFXII Producer
08.01.05 - 3:15 PM

Square Enix has announced that Yasumi Matsuno has stepped down as the producer of Final Fantasy XII due to health issues. Today's Square Enix statement revealed that Matsuno has been ill for some time, but he will stay on the project as a supervisor. SaGa series director Akitoshi Kawazu will replace Matsuno on the FFXII staff.

"Final Fantasy XII's development producer Yasumi Matsuno has left his position to recover from his illness, and he is currently working as a supervisor [on the game]. His roles in the project are being passed on to the section leaders, and our development staff is working hard on its production. The game is just one step away from completion, so please look forward to it. We are confident that we will deliver a Final Fantasy beyond everybody's imagination on March 16," read the Square Enix statement.

Matsuno also had a personal statement, saying, "To all the fans that have been waiting for the release of Final Fantasy XII, I'm sorry that its development has been taking an extremely long time. I unfortunately will have to take a step away from the production scene, but the game is progressing in its development under the hands of excellent staffs, including Minagawa, Ito, and Akiyama."

Final Fantasy XII is set to release in Japan on March 16, 2006. A US release is expected later that year.

Also note:
It is also reported that a small part of the FFXII team has left the company for Hironobu Sakaguchi's Mist Walker.

Saga series games where very horribly done and it seems Final Fantasy might just die now due to this new director. Hopefully he realizes it's Final Fantasy and not Saga Frontier.

Note: Sorry about ranting off.

Alan Trap didn't look that great of a game in my opinion..

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Check out this game!
« Reply #30 on: 05 Aug 2005, 14:45 »

I am also looking forward to Nintendogs cause I am a sucker for cute games.  I mean just look at em, it's so cute.
Pages: [1]   Go Up