Zelda?

Hells yeah!
- 61 (89.7%)
Meh.
- 7 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: 01 Aug 2005, 17:49

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelda games  (Read 19172 times)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Zelda games
« on: 01 Aug 2005, 17:49 »

Okay, it seems to me that people largely fall into two schools when it comes to the Zelda games - those who absolutely adore them and shout their merits from the rooftops five times a day, and those who've never seen anything to get worked up about, and have thus never tried them or, if they have, have swiftly moved on to something else.

I'm firmly in the latter category, I'm afraid. And despite opening this thread, I really have no desire to play any of the Zelda games, because I can't see what's so damned interesting about them

So: which camp do y'all fall into? Please leave your flamethrowers at home.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

twentyfour

Zelda games
« Reply #1 on: 01 Aug 2005, 18:49 »

As long as the next Legend of Zelda doesn't involve sailing for over 25% of my game I'mgonna love it :D

(yes I like Wind Waker, just kinda boring at times)

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
Zelda games
« Reply #2 on: 01 Aug 2005, 18:58 »

Eh, I just really didn't get a chance to play Zelda. I was either too poor, or I saw something better (to me) to waste my time on.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Shibboleth

Zelda games
« Reply #3 on: 01 Aug 2005, 19:07 »

If you get the chance to play a single Zelda game, play Ocarina of Time. It's gotta be one of the greatest RPG's ever, and for its time, it was incredible.

I think the Zelda games are just so engrossing. They just make you want to explore every single area, collect every pickup, just to see what comes next.

I think that Wind Waker was great. The perfect combination of graphics with gameplay. The graphics really suit the world that they've created.

Karn

Zelda games
« Reply #4 on: 01 Aug 2005, 19:10 »

Quote from: Shibboleth
If you get the chance to play a single Zelda game, play Ocarina of Time. It's gotta be one of the greatest RPG's ever, and for its time, it was incredible.

Agreed. It was probably the best game on N64--so much fun.

Stranger Dan

• Emoticontraindication
Zelda games
« Reply #5 on: 01 Aug 2005, 19:17 »

Zelda fans don't use flamethrowers they use Fire Arrows or the Fire Rod or the Candle or Dinn's Fire.

Anyway the draw of Zelda games is that they
-have vast, wonderful worlds to explore
-have fun, intuitive combat that makes you think on your feet
-are loaded with puzzles, room after room of clever puzzles
-have the best boss fights in the world
-don't go a second without beautiful music
-have an undeniable charm and sense of humor that is sorely lacking in today's games

I have no clue how I could possibly dislike this series even if I wanted to.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Zelda games
« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug 2005, 22:29 »

I just remember being a little kid, about 3 years old when it came out, sitting there with a controller in my hand being addicted to trying to play the original.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Tedd

Zelda games
« Reply #7 on: 01 Aug 2005, 22:41 »

I've loved the Zelda series since I was a little kid. When Ocarina of Time came out I got the special gold cartridge, and me and my best friend beat it in under 8 hours. We later spent another around 4-5 hours doing all the sidequests. Since she (my friend) does not have a Gamecube, she is going to buy Twilight Princess (Where the fuck did they come up with THAT title?) and mooch off me, much like she did when we bought Eternal Darkness.

Notice how I'm not complaining and saying 'she' at the same time. :)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Zelda games
« Reply #8 on: 02 Aug 2005, 10:07 »

Quote from: Shibboleth

I would personally go with the SNES version; Way more puzzling and interesting to me.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Zelda games
« Reply #9 on: 02 Aug 2005, 10:46 »

Can anyone confirm or deny:

Triforce tattoos ROCK.

Actually, I was wondering if anyone knew for sure about the next Zelda game: is it going to be on the revolution or the game cube?

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Zelda games
« Reply #10 on: 02 Aug 2005, 11:04 »

Its for the GC, and it looks hella good.
Ok, i can admit it, im a Zelda Addict.
I even had all 3 Gameboy titles.
Quote from: LiterSize
Triforce tattoos ROCK.
Quoted for emphasis
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Zelda games
« Reply #11 on: 02 Aug 2005, 11:41 »

It's gonna be on the Gamecube unless they change it at the last minute

Jarne

Zelda games
« Reply #12 on: 02 Aug 2005, 17:39 »

I used to play Ocarina of Time on my friends N64 whenever he went to the bathroom and watched him play the rest of the time. Years later, the tables where turned as I had the gamecube and Wind Waker! Luckily for him I got the gameboy advance link thingy set up so he was Tingle.
Lotsa fun with that!

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Zelda games
« Reply #13 on: 02 Aug 2005, 18:20 »

if you play any zelda, play link to the past.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
Zelda games
« Reply #14 on: 02 Aug 2005, 18:49 »

LttP FTW.

I for one love me a good zelda game. I love the puzzles(Those have since mostly faded away), and they way that most of the dungeons(over all, not most of the ones in each game) make you THINK before you can complete them.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Zelda games
« Reply #15 on: 02 Aug 2005, 19:06 »

DODONGO DOENST LIKE SMOKE

ForteBass

Zelda games
« Reply #16 on: 02 Aug 2005, 21:46 »

THERES A SECRET IN THE TIP OF THE NOSE
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Zelda games
« Reply #17 on: 02 Aug 2005, 22:01 »

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS!

Kid Modernist

Zelda games
« Reply #18 on: 02 Aug 2005, 22:39 »

I AM ERROR

Tedd

Zelda games
« Reply #19 on: 02 Aug 2005, 22:49 »

RAMPART COMMUNISTS ARE AFOOT.

ERROR KARL MARX

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Zelda games
« Reply #20 on: 03 Aug 2005, 09:26 »

As much as I like the Zelda games I am some what worried at the idea of Link turning into a werewolf.  Does this seem like they're giving ze freaks into elf ears and dressing up in animal suits extra...uh, something.

(Need more caffine.)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Zelda games
« Reply #21 on: 03 Aug 2005, 09:33 »

Quote from: Kai
I would personally go with the SNES version; Way more puzzling and interesting to me.

That's my favorite too (are we talking about Link to the Past?) although note that I haven't played Ocarina of Time.

Quote from: Tedd
RAMPART COMMUNISTS ARE AFOOT.

I don't remember that part of the game.  Did Reagan hack your copy or something?

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Zelda games
« Reply #22 on: 03 Aug 2005, 09:47 »

Pftt, he was probably too busy watching all the movies he had been in.  I'm sure it was either Nancy or or glorious former president and head of the CIA, Bush.

But, uh, yeah.  I didn't really get into Ocarina of Time either.  I was to busy either playing Goldeneye or Smash Brothers on my 64.

Bishop

Zelda games
« Reply #23 on: 03 Aug 2005, 12:39 »

I really loved Link to the past, but I love 2D games, I have played most if not all of the zelda series, hehe.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
Zelda games
« Reply #24 on: 03 Aug 2005, 14:46 »

Link to the Past is still my favourite Zelda game, I don't think I ever achieved 100% completion on it.

And yeah, Zelda definately seems to be a love / hate kinda thing. My mother and I absolutely love the series, while my best friend completely detests it... though he has been known to sit watching for long periods while I raid pirate outposts on Wind Waker.

Also... since I got the NIN logo tattooed on me as the epitome of my love of music, I'll be getting a Triforce tattoo soon as the epitome of my love of video games. Probably won't be getting it coloured properly though, will go with black since I know the yellow would fade a lot sooner than black will.

Willis

Zelda games
« Reply #25 on: 03 Aug 2005, 18:34 »

MASTER USING THIS AND YOU CAN HAVE IT

This thread is quite appropriate.  I recently got the original LOZ working again.  It's been 5+ years since I last played it.  Nevertheless 4 hours and only 2 lives later I had completed the first quest.  The second quest took a bit longer, and I wasn't quite as motivated, but still defeated Gannon and was teh hero of Hyrule.  What was great was when the title screen came on (besides teh waterfall and the sweet music) was that it said copyright 1986.

~~Willis

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Zelda games
« Reply #26 on: 04 Aug 2005, 00:04 »

Quote from: Willis
MASTER USING THIS AND YOU CAN HAVE IT

This thread is quite appropriate.  I recently got the original LOZ working again.  It's been 5+ years since I last played it.  Nevertheless 4 hours and only 2 lives later I had completed the first quest.  The second quest took a bit longer, and I wasn't quite as motivated, but still defeated Gannon and was teh hero of Hyrule.  What was great was when the title screen came on (besides teh waterfall and the sweet music) was that it said copyright 1986.

~~Willis

four hours is seomwhat impressive!

Praeserpium Machinarum

Zelda games
« Reply #27 on: 04 Aug 2005, 00:33 »

I thought Ocarina of Time was so boring, I was kind of disappointed, since I had heard so much good about it, but god... I would take Diablo over that game, and I hate Diablo. I have the feeling that rpgs(though I would argue if Zelda is actually an rpg) can only work on pc, maybe the Xbox if Jade Empire turns out good. That maybe a gross generalization, but that's what I think, though Eternal Darkness was good and in my opinion much more of an rpg than Zelda will ever be..

The Windwaker demo was neat though..

Willis

Zelda games
« Reply #28 on: 05 Aug 2005, 09:59 »

Quote from: will: wanton sex god

four hours is seomwhat impressive!

What was even great was that I remembered where EVERYTHING was in the original quest.  All the places to bomb and bushes to burn for jewels and what not.  I was extremely pleased with myself.

~~Willis

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Zelda games
« Reply #29 on: 05 Aug 2005, 10:27 »

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum
I have the feeling that rpgs(though I would argue if Zelda is actually an rpg) can only work on pc, maybe the Xbox if Jade Empire turns out good. That maybe a gross generalization, but that's what I think, though Eternal Darkness was good and in my opinion much more of an rpg than Zelda will ever be.

I don't consider Zelda an RPG, although Ys is certainly an RPG and it is close to Zelda in gameplay (what's the term for those sorts of games? action-rpg?)  I certainly disagree with you about PC being the only platform for RPGs; I am a HUGE fan of PS2 RPGs.  I certainly don't see Nippon Ichi making any PC games.

Bishop

Zelda games
« Reply #30 on: 05 Aug 2005, 13:12 »

Quote from: jhocking
Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum
I have the feeling that rpgs(though I would argue if Zelda is actually an rpg) can only work on pc, maybe the Xbox if Jade Empire turns out good. That maybe a gross generalization, but that's what I think, though Eternal Darkness was good and in my opinion much more of an rpg than Zelda will ever be.

I don't consider Zelda an RPG, although Ys is certainly an RPG and it is close to Zelda in gameplay (what's the term for those sorts of games? action-rpg?)  I certainly disagree with you about PC being the only platform for RPGs; I am a HUGE fan of PS2 RPGs.  I certainly don't see Nippon Ichi making any PC games.

Real time RPG

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
Zelda games
« Reply #31 on: 05 Aug 2005, 14:17 »

oh zelda. i love it. i have devoted countless hours of my life to these games.... when i first got ocarina of time i played for 36 hours straight. such a   gorgeous game, lots of places to explore, and the puzzles. yay. i was a bit disappointed with wind waker, but i still liked it for the most part. i thought the whole triforce process was too easy and boring in that game. i cannot wait for the new one for game cube to come out.

and as for triforce tattoos... i have been seriously considering one for a long time. i would like to get it on my hand, but it would be too visible. so i'm not sure where i would put it. but if i get a tattoo odds are it will be a triforce. yay.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Baron

Zelda games
« Reply #32 on: 10 Aug 2005, 14:32 »

Anyone who dislikes Zelda is a communist. There, I said it.

Personally, I still say Ocarina is the best one out there. Goron City music > All.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Zelda games
« Reply #33 on: 10 Aug 2005, 18:20 »

Nyet, Komrade.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Zelda games
« Reply #34 on: 10 Aug 2005, 23:18 »

Quote from: Baron
Anyone who dislikes Zelda is a communist. There, I said it.

Personally, I still say Ocarina is the best one out there. Goron City music > All.

sarias song..

Jenno

• Furry furrier
Zelda games
« Reply #35 on: 11 Aug 2005, 05:03 »

I am craving Twilight Princess and Zelda DS so hard.

Also, I wouldn't really class Zelda as RPG. Its really more of an adventure game with collection improvement elements. For anyone looking for a good game similar to Zelda, try Dark Chronicle, which is quite possibly my favorite PS2 game.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
Zelda games
« Reply #36 on: 11 Aug 2005, 05:07 »

song of storms....
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Zelda games
« Reply #37 on: 11 Aug 2005, 12:41 »

The greatest thing about all of the Zeldo games is that they're similar, yet vastly different at the same time. At the core, you always have Link, the Triforce, Gannon, and Zelda. Yet the worlds are all unique and different.

I loved all of the Zelda games that I've played (I've played all of them aside the Minish Cap.) And I couldn't choose just one.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

ilCorvo

• Not quite a lurker
Zelda games
« Reply #38 on: 13 Aug 2005, 21:48 »

I love all but the handheld Zeldas. I still dial up some NES sword wielding via Roms. Ocarina of Time, and Link to the Past are my prime picks
It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
Zelda games
« Reply #39 on: 13 Aug 2005, 21:52 »

Hey now. Some of the handheld zeldas are awesome.

They go on handhelds so well.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

ForteBass

Zelda games
« Reply #40 on: 13 Aug 2005, 23:17 »

Quote from: will: wanton sex god
sarias song..

Sorry, Baron, but will is quite correct. Saria's Song rocks the Goron socks off.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Zelda games
« Reply #41 on: 13 Aug 2005, 23:59 »

OLLEH
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Micah

Zelda games
« Reply #42 on: 14 Aug 2005, 08:09 »

"A Link To The Past" is pissing me off.  Either theres a glitch in my game or I'm missing something because that goddamn elder keeps telling me "Go to the east!  You'll find something useful there!"  and then I yell at my game boy "I went to the east!  A big fish gave me some flippers and now I can swim!  That seems pretty useful to me!" But he dosn't listen, he is made of plastic.

Micah

Zelda games
« Reply #43 on: 14 Aug 2005, 08:11 »

Quote from: neomang5
Its for the GC, and it looks hella good.
Ok, i can admit it, im a Zelda Addict.
I even had all 3 Gameboy titles.
Quote from: LiterSize
Triforce tattoos ROCK.
Quoted for emphasis

From what I've heard its going to be on the revolution too.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Zelda games
« Reply #44 on: 14 Aug 2005, 11:40 »

and also on the DS.  Also just explore places you couldn't cause now you can swim.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
Zelda games
« Reply #45 on: 14 Aug 2005, 14:16 »

What do you do after you get the flippers? YOU SWIM AROUND. NURRR.

Aphi

Zelda games
« Reply #46 on: 14 Aug 2005, 15:20 »

Rnnngh. I was just forced to play the Legend Of Zelda for the first time yesterday. I think it was something about a mask and Majora or something?

HELL of annoyingly addictive. We were up until three in the morning, just playing the bloody game.

Bishop

Zelda games
« Reply #47 on: 15 Aug 2005, 09:56 »

Quote from: Micah
"A Link To The Past" is pissing me off.  Either theres a glitch in my game or I'm missing something because that goddamn elder keeps telling me "Go to the east!  You'll find something useful there!"  and then I yell at my game boy "I went to the east!  A big fish gave me some flippers and now I can swim!  That seems pretty useful to me!" But he dosn't listen, he is made of plastic.

I think your going to the wrong east (kinda), here is where I think you should be heading:

Micah

Zelda games
« Reply #48 on: 15 Aug 2005, 17:47 »

Christ, I'm stupid.

ManlyMan

Zelda games
« Reply #49 on: 15 Aug 2005, 19:01 »

Ocarina of Time IMO was the best video game of recent years. FF7 coming behind.

It took me awhile to realize Biggoron's name was actually Big goron, rather than a name on it's own. Heh. Gotta love the massive thing he makes though. Screw the master sword, that sword was five feet long and did double damage.

Wind Waker was a lot of fun for me, it was a nice change from the classic style. with all the boating and such.

I can't wait for some classic zelda action with (hopefully) adult link in the new one though. I thought since wind waker was all as a child, the new one would be all as an adult? I haven't checked out info on the new one lately. Ocarina was always much more fun as an adult though, even though he had those weird leg things.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up