THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teh omg, coding!?  (Read 8948 times)

Tedd

Teh omg, coding!?
« on: 01 Aug 2005, 22:54 »

Now, I'm an amateur programmer, if that, because all I know is HTML and a teeny bit of PHP, but I know I'm not the only one.

Am I?

What do you know?

Lug

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #1 on: 01 Aug 2005, 23:54 »

I know several languages. I know C/C++ up to overloading the insertion opperator and friend functions (always get lost at those parts) and I know how to build a class in Python.

I need to get back in the saddle and learn more about inheritence and Has-A, Is-A relationships in Python and how to interact with the gtk/gtkmm libraries.

TheMike

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #2 on: 02 Aug 2005, 00:01 »

i'm pretty good at C++(i haven't ever gotten around to installing any libraries or compilers so i only do this at school), VB, and i know a bit of Macromedia Flash Action Script(damn thats a long one.)

i dabble in HTML and PHP.

salada

• Curry sauce
Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #3 on: 02 Aug 2005, 00:15 »

i'm trying to re-learn CSS at the moment. for stuff like colum- layouts and drop down menus and so on.

if i can get my head around all that, then i might try some basic php.

actual programming stuff is all leftover from school, and in useless languages like pascal, basic, and even logo, ffs.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #4 on: 02 Aug 2005, 00:27 »

CSS, html, a tiny bit of PHP, and that's it.

The real trick to CSS (unfortunately) is getting shit to work in all browwsers.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

5thWheel

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #5 on: 02 Aug 2005, 01:00 »

I started programming aged 7 (ZX Spectrum BASIC!) and haven't stopped since (I'm 30 now).  I do C++ things professionally & at some point I'm going to upload my serial analyser to sourceforge or something because open source code is wonderful.
My brother is enough into CSS to make me get all squishy when a website's menus & stuff work in my no-java Mozilla :)  & he defined a (PHP?) exception class called "poo" so he could write "throw poo" and "catch poo" and things, [giggle|sigh] :D.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #6 on: 02 Aug 2005, 01:21 »

Html, dash of CSS, want to get to know PHP to the point of being able to set up a wiki or a forum.

I also used to be able to rock out mightily in BBC Basic, but that has kinda limited applications...
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

salada

• Curry sauce
Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #7 on: 02 Aug 2005, 04:39 »

Quote from: jeph
CSS, html, a tiny bit of PHP, and that's it.

using a global whitespace reset at the start of all your stylesheets really, really helps:

http://leftjustified.net/journal/2004/10/19/global-ws-reset/

it resets all the padding and margins on every element (p, h1, h2, h3, ul, li and so on) to 0. this is allows you absolute control over padding and margins; otherwise they use 'default' settings (which vary from browser to browser). (my explanation sucks. read the link above).

also, i don't even bother serving CSS to 4.0 browsers anymore. they're at least 8 years old now, and are so buggy / standards-incomplient it's not even funny. if you're still using a version 4 browser now, i didn't want you to see my site anyway :P

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #8 on: 02 Aug 2005, 05:11 »

Woo, LabView!  I don't write programs, I draw them!
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

victor_smithe

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #9 on: 02 Aug 2005, 06:48 »

HTML, CSS, a lil PHP, VB/Script, C/C++, Java and a little C#. Websites, programs and .NET oh my.

Tanka

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #10 on: 02 Aug 2005, 09:09 »

HTML, a smidgen of PHP, CSS and SQL, VB, Java, an ounce of JavaScript...  And a slight bit of NWNScript (which appears to be a bastardized form of C++/C#/C and VB).

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #11 on: 02 Aug 2005, 10:14 »

HTML, Java, Python, C, C++, and I dabble about with PHP but am too lazy to learn anything else.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Mnementh

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #12 on: 02 Aug 2005, 11:16 »

HTML, CSS, some rusty college C++, a teeny bit of PHP and MySQL commands, and the secret language of birds.

Lately I've been thinking about teaching myself more.

Karn

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #13 on: 02 Aug 2005, 12:50 »

HTML, CSS, and C++ is all for me. (Q)BASIC doesn't really count in my book, because although it was once used for practical things, it's become an "Intro to Programming" language in the past few years.

Lug

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #14 on: 02 Aug 2005, 22:41 »

Quote from: jeph

Ptth. If you stick to WC3 standards then you should be in the clear. Tough cookies to anyone that uses a browser that does otherwise.

Note: Labview... I hate that program so much.

Tedd

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #15 on: 02 Aug 2005, 22:50 »

Right now I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get a content box to expand.

I tried a tutorial but it was for making the content box. Weak.

Any ideas?

torg

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #16 on: 03 Aug 2005, 01:38 »

I have forgotton more programming languages than i know now...
c/c++, c#, java, html/css, shellscripts, lpc...
i also had to learn prolog, lisp, pascal and some strange script languages only used by one company....

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #17 on: 03 Aug 2005, 09:04 »

Bishop

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #18 on: 03 Aug 2005, 12:37 »

PHP, CSS, MySQL, HTML a little VB, =P

Tedd

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #19 on: 03 Aug 2005, 12:52 »

I'm surrounded by people smarter than me. Damn.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #20 on: 04 Aug 2005, 05:31 »

HTML and CSS. I can't program but I do use Javascript and DHTML scripts on my websites.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Mnementh

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #21 on: 04 Aug 2005, 06:42 »

Quote from: Lug

Fuck Labview.

(MATLAB ftw)

Lug

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #22 on: 04 Aug 2005, 10:36 »

Quote from: Mnementh

Fuck Labview.

(MATLAB ftw)

MATLAB is hella tight. It made my digital signal processing course so much easier when we found the built in tool to design any kind of filter we wanted. Our teacher was not very happy with that.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #23 on: 04 Aug 2005, 11:43 »

They both have their places!  MATLAB is all there is for data processing, but if I want to throw together an automation system to run an experiment, LabView is extremely useful.  Plus, the whole little-colored-block-running-round-on-the-wire-is-my-data thing makes debugging fun!
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Mnementh

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #24 on: 04 Aug 2005, 12:41 »

There is definitely a toolbox out there to fit your need ;)

Start here.

Addius

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #25 on: 04 Aug 2005, 13:20 »

For programming I know a bit C++, Java and Matlab. Truthfully though, if you know one language it isn't really that hard using another, with a bit of reference for syntax and words.

I coded HTML and CSS before, haven't tried for a while but I kept myself strictly to W3C standards so I'm guessing most of it is still usable.

nexus

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #26 on: 04 Aug 2005, 17:19 »

Yay, nerds!
I am adept with C# (yay, .NET!), both WinForms & ASP.NET; plus your SQL, JavaScript, XHTML, XML, CSS and whatever other web techniques/languages I need to know.
I can still remember a good deal of Java, C++ and VBScript (ASP3.0)
And can probably remember bits of Scheme, Lisp, and 6800 Assembly from school.

I've been meaning to learn Python, Delphi, and PHP but I haven't done anything in that regard yet.

Too much to do & too little time.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #27 on: 04 Aug 2005, 17:34 »

C/C++

Some Smalltalk
Some Fortran
Some Basic
Some Lisp
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Tedd

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #28 on: 04 Aug 2005, 18:14 »

Jebus, add a new one to my list, Pawn- I've been learning to code AMX Administration plugins lately and I think I've got the main grasp of it. It's a derivative of C++ and Small, I guess.

Mr Putter

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #29 on: 04 Aug 2005, 19:51 »

I'm reasonable at Java, Matlab and C - I've never used C++ (most of the stuff I do is embedded), and I'm learning VHDL.  Yeah that's right - I'm a geek.

infract

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #30 on: 04 Aug 2005, 20:45 »

C/C++/C#/Java/PHP+MySQL/HTML+CSS/Javascript/a little bit of Perl/Going to have to learn Scheme (perverted rendition of Lisp, I hear) in september/Used to know Basic, but I've long since forgotten it. ;)

Lug

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #31 on: 04 Aug 2005, 23:44 »

Quote from: Mr Putter
I'm reasonable at Java, Matlab and C - I've never used C++ (most of the stuff I do is embedded), and I'm learning VHDL.  Yeah that's right - I'm a geek.

*shudders at VHDL* thank god that course is behind me...
I hated the syntax of the language so much but compared to building the circuits myself it saved so much time and effort.

If you need an Altera board I'm selling one for $80(CND)

5thWheel

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #32 on: 05 Aug 2005, 01:52 »

I will fall down and worship anyone who has ever written a program in Brainf*ck or COW

Super Dave

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #33 on: 05 Aug 2005, 01:53 »

VB

I know all that is

I can do anything with it, which is ironic, because it's not terribly useful in the real world.

Yeah.

Krazen

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #34 on: 05 Aug 2005, 14:59 »

I've had fun learning to code during college.

Started with Java, then C, then C++, then x86 assembly, and some MIPS assembly as well.  I've done some minor scripting stuff at my job (javascript, perl).

But I'm a hardware engineer, so the real fun stuff I get to do is with MATLAB (nothing like designing and simulating a WCDMA wireless system) and Verilog.

For people who don't know, Verilog is a hardware description language.  It gets synthesized (the hardware equivalent of compilation) into logic gates, which can be sent out to a fabrication plant and turned into a real piece of silicon that does stuff.  It's fun, I wrote a MIPS processor for my computer architecture class in it.

Mr Putter

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #35 on: 05 Aug 2005, 20:41 »

*shudders at VHDL* thank god that course is behind me...
I hated the syntax of the language so much but compared to building the circuits myself it saved so much time and effort.

If you need an Altera board I'm selling one for $80(CND)

That's ok, my uni's actually pretty good at getting boards for me when I need them.  What device is on it, just out of interest?

Yeah VHDL's not pretty, but my biggest beef is with the Xilinx tools - they've given me so many problems you wouldn't believe....

Mnementh

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #36 on: 05 Aug 2005, 22:03 »

All you MATLAB using geeks are keeping me gainfully employed!  (it's good to see so many of you using it.)

nihilist

Teh omg, coding!?
« Reply #37 on: 07 Aug 2005, 09:59 »

Hrm.  Let's see...  I'd do it in alphabetical order, but I cannot think that way.

Java, C#, C/C++, PHP, Python, Spec#, Turbo Pascal.

Probably missing a few.  I'm a 'software engineer' (such a BS term) so I pretty much do that shit for a living.  Though I'm more of a architect/design/team lead person these days.  Whee business crap...
Pages: [1]   Go Up