THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 23:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DOOM: The Movie.  (Read 24455 times)

Tedd

DOOM: The Movie.
« on: 03 Aug 2005, 12:54 »

No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I'm going to stab someone.

Discuss. If someone has the trailer link from Gamespy please post, I don't have it.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #1 on: 03 Aug 2005, 13:23 »

I know it stars the Rock, so I am also worried.  I also heard it is not in space and instead of demons it is a virus

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #2 on: 03 Aug 2005, 13:36 »

its resident evil.
Its crap.
I pity the people who made it, because they just pissed off A HELLA LOT of people.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Karn

« Reply #3 on: 03 Aug 2005, 13:38 »

...it makes you wonder whether it's even the same franchise. What's even more puzzling is the idea of the Rock (Dwayne Johnson is his real name, ladies and gents.) adeptly curing a deadly virus rather than blasting through demons with one or more shotguns.

Unless it's a "zombifying virus." In which case...well, no, that doesn't make it much more original, no.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #4 on: 03 Aug 2005, 14:51 »

Found the teaser trailer on IGN here.

Oh. Dear.

EDIT : - Watching the ComicCon press conference video now... everyone seems to be 'erm... yeah.. it's... really faithful to the game, really faithful... yeah, really faithful to the game... uh huh...'

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #5 on: 03 Aug 2005, 16:35 »

Aw, man.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #6 on: 03 Aug 2005, 16:58 »

BOYCOTT

THIS

FILM

That is all.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Tedd

« Reply #7 on: 03 Aug 2005, 17:02 »

As Tim Buckley would say, who the fuck gave Hollywood the giant butcher's knife over every single proven franchise out there?!

What's worse is that I thought you guys might LIKE the idea of a DOOM movie.

"I think the Rock will be great in DOOM!"
"Erm....sure..."

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #8 on: 03 Aug 2005, 17:16 »

Beats me why the hell iD haven't asked for their product back...
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #9 on: 03 Aug 2005, 18:56 »

$'d!

*sigh*

It can't be worse than Marios Bros.........
..................................................................can it?

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #10 on: 03 Aug 2005, 20:07 »

Don't ask that kind of question, dammit! That's something I don't want to have to think about.

*shudder*

Tedd - I was actually really looking forward to this, in a kind of naive 'maybe they won't screw over another great franchise' kind of way. But no.

Maybe somebody needs to get a petition together and send it to every major film company in Hollywood, saying that, y'know, popular games are popular because of their plot and setting and stuff, so screwing around with that plot and making it more movie friendly probably WON'T sell like the game did / does.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #11 on: 03 Aug 2005, 20:23 »

If I were the suicidal type, that would totally go in the note.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Super Dave

« Reply #12 on: 03 Aug 2005, 21:58 »

IT HAS NO PLOT!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #13 on: 03 Aug 2005, 22:25 »

Yeah, seriously - making a film out of Doom, even one that's faithful to the game, was always going to be a dud idea.  The game's a really, really basic shoot-'em-up - you run around, you get bigger and bigger weapons, you shoot things, sometimes you press buttons.  You remember how boring it was watching over your friend's shoulder while he or she played the game?  Saying "give me a turn, give me a turn"?  That's what the movie was always going to be like.  For two hours, and without the social interaction.

In other words, boring as batshit.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: 03 Aug 2005, 23:55 »

No, no not at all.

You would need of course to devote half the movie to the events before the original game actually started, mentioned only in the manual: the development of the portal, the over-running of the bases, the sending of the marines, build the marines characters, have them slaughtered...I mean, there is no way you couldn't take the bare-bones premise and make it into a pretty atmospheric action sci-fi film, chuck in some good supernatural horror elements, have great fun with creature designs, and enhance the psychological aspect, not to mention through in some nostalgic little touches that would have old gamers grinning: I can imagine for example, a fist-fight with a demon (the DOOM marine is, after all, da man) where the marine gets punched in the face several times, each new injury resembling the classic HUD portrait. Oh, and the BFG, can you imagine how sweet that could be?

But, er no. This is pretty much why they should let me make movies.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #15 on: 04 Aug 2005, 08:46 »

They would be better off if anyone from this forum were making it, but no.
The worst thing is that you know that anyone who would work on this has nvere PLAYED the doom games, and has probably never even really heard of them.

I just hope (yeah yeah, i know im wrong) that the metroid movie isnt destroyed, and neither are the voltron or transformers movies. But alas, they undoubtedly will disappoint.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #16 on: 04 Aug 2005, 11:29 »

Hey, I didn't think Mortal Kombat I would be a good movie, but they made it work really well.  Still stands as one of the best video game->movie translations IMO.  Metroid has a bit more of a plot to it than Doom, per se so maybe they can't mess it up too much.  We can only hope.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #17 on: 04 Aug 2005, 12:09 »

They're making a Metroid movie?

*whimper*

Tedd

« Reply #18 on: 04 Aug 2005, 15:17 »

THey'd better star someone fuckin' smoking as Samus or blood will be shed.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #19 on: 04 Aug 2005, 15:39 »

I would have liked to see the movie more based off these.  Also I liked the Mario Brothers movie.

I hope they don't show Samus with out any bit of the suit off, the ambiguity of Samus is awesome.  Also last I remember it was John Woo I think who picked it up.  Penny Arcade had a strip about

soap

« Reply #20 on: 04 Aug 2005, 16:14 »

those doom books were suprisingly good reads (well, the first two that are based on games) ... the others it all gets a bit crazy ... they wouldn't be so bad

but still better than the rock fighting a virus ... come its doom , everyone knows that all you'd really need are a killer atmosphere, tension guns and monsters

weevil

« Reply #21 on: 08 Aug 2005, 07:04 »

DYNAMITE!

You are huge! That means you have huge guts! RIP AND TEAR!

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/comic.php

festerius

« Reply #22 on: 08 Aug 2005, 08:26 »

Oh sweet satan... What have they done!  Noooo!!!

I was thinking to my self the other day... "They should make a DOOM movie!"

and now I hang my head in shame. :(

Chivalryisn'tdead

Worrying in the corner
« Reply #23 on: 08 Aug 2005, 20:23 »

Doom movie? (whimpers)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #24 on: 08 Aug 2005, 22:56 »

i would totally go and see Khar's version at the cinema, then probably buy it on DVD.

it needs to be like that.  needs to be like, first half is building the characters.  they are likeable characters, they get into adventures.  there is maybe some kind of mission that they are on that is unrelated, something really simple.  go here, kill these vermin.  they kill the vermin and are about to head back and they get a call that something weird is happening.  check it out.

they are high on their flawless victory, a little cocky.  they think it's just that some of whatever they were fighting got away and that it's mop-up time.  a portal opens to hell and everyone's slaughtered.  we hear them die mostly via other people's commlink connections.  the sounds are sounds from the original games.  the hissing of the demons, the fireballs flying through the air, etc.

one of them wakes up after being knocked out by falling debris or something.  everyone's dead.  ripped apart.  you never really saw what did it to them, you just know that it was hardcore.  almost all of their weapons have been destroyed.  he's got his fists and a pistol, and he's got to figure out what the fuck is going on.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #25 on: 08 Aug 2005, 23:26 »

A Metroid movie would be harder than a Doom movie, I think.

At least other people are in Doom 3.

There's no other human beings in any Metroid game, save for the scientists at the beginning of Super and Fusion and, kinda, Adam in Fusion.

And I hate Fusion. I hate Fusion with the fury of a thousand rabid chimpanzees. It's the worst Metroid game ever made.

I don't know how you can make a Metroid game, unless you went totally balls out Aliens style with Samus having too bring along a few space marines that are picked off early on so she has to kick ass. It doesn't really work, though. The games don't have cinematic plots. They have exploratory plots. Things that you have to read and examine and piece together by yourself.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Chivalryisn'tdead

Chimp fury
« Reply #26 on: 09 Aug 2005, 09:56 »

That's right quasi-monkey, you thow your own defecation.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: 09 Aug 2005, 10:25 »

Here is the list of video game movies I heard are being made:
-Halo
-Prince of Persia (by Disney)
-Dead or Alive
-Hitman
-Metroid (already debated on)
-Blood Rayne
-Onimusha
-Silent Hill
-Driver

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #28 on: 09 Aug 2005, 11:52 »

I just realized... did no one see a CHAINSAW anywhere in that trailer?  As nice as it was the marine punched the crap outta demons, there's something satisfying about busting out the saw.  

Or too Army of Darkness?

soap

« Reply #29 on: 09 Aug 2005, 15:44 »

at least its not a Uwe Boll computer game movie  ... now that would be scary

*edit* weevil ... this doom comic is nuts ! they should make a movie like this, its so pointlessly violent  - and the things he says !! awesome !!

Patatat

« Reply #30 on: 09 Aug 2005, 20:38 »

"I know I am surronded by death yet I hear angels."

"daddy's got a brand new bag."

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #31 on: 09 Aug 2005, 23:49 »

Driver and Hitman would make good movies, I think... I haven't played the recent Prince of Persia games - the last PoP game I played was the original I think - but I get the impression it isn't really the kind of thing that would stay faithful to the source if Disney were adapting it. I'm basically picturing Aladdin with different characters, here.

I think the problem with videogame adaptations, for the most part, is that - like Ozy pointed out with Metroid - you play as a solo character needing to explore the place or whatever... that does not make for good watching. A movie generally needs conversation and interaction, so videogame plots get hijacked to work in additional characters.

Though they'd no doubt end up coming off as cheap LotR ripoffs, RPGs would probably make for good conversions since they generally have a high level of character interaction anyway.

Wulfen

« Reply #32 on: 10 Aug 2005, 04:26 »

I dont like the Virus as a reason for the demons. Their DEMONS! as in extra-dimentional. What was wrong with the original portal idea? Why did they decide to create a Resident Evil clone?
 I mean it seems to always be biochemists who are responsible in movies these days. Viral Weaponry, Uncontrolled Mutations, Toxic Gas, etc. Wheres the Doomsday Devices of old? The Uber-Nuke? The malfunctioning teleporter (hehe resonance cascade)? The Planet-destroying laser? All the cool techno-gadgets like HL2s gravity Gun or Preadators cloaking device.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #33 on: 10 Aug 2005, 11:34 »

The comic:  AWESOME.  At first I thought the marine was just nuts from the berserker pack, turns out I was wrong.  Then again, couldn't blame him, could we?  I know the Rock's going to eat it big in that movie, but I do like the fact they got Eomer playing the lead marine. Even if the movie premise and the whole adaptation is shite.

thew

« Reply #34 on: 24 Aug 2005, 23:46 »

New trailer is online.

I know everyone's ragging on this, but the new trailer made me smile. The FPS scenes look great, especially that last shot. :)

I only played the first two Dooms and I don't understand why everyone's down on this adaptation. Did the game have some amazing story and rich character development that I just can't remember?

ASturge

« Reply #35 on: 25 Aug 2005, 05:00 »

Thing is, it should've been SO EASY.

Put lots of random aliens in a big facility on Mars.

Give the Rock many big guns with which to kill said Aliens.

MOVIE FINISHED.

Bonus: The Rock doesn't even have to talk.

weevil

« Reply #36 on: 25 Aug 2005, 07:54 »

Where were all the scenes where it was completely and utterly dark and the Rock had to walk around with his flashlight and then when he saw a guy he'd switch to his gun but couldn't see anything anyway and he'd just end up getting raped?

Maybe I missed that shot.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #37 on: 25 Aug 2005, 08:03 »

This movie is doomed. (sorry, had to say it.)

Honestly though, Doom is barely a franchise.  There's no distinctive or recognizable IP other than the logo.  Deciding to make a movie about Doom is essentially saying you're going to make a movie about soldiers in the future shooting things in the dark.

I was also about to comment that Quake has no IP either, but it occurred to me that a Quake movie based on Q3:A could be a lot of fun.  Y'know, sort of a Running Man thing with a whole bunch of goofy characters thrown into an absurd competition.  I'm sure if this movie were to actually be made it would get screwed up royally, but the idea itself has merit.  It would probably be a better vehicle for the Rock too, what with the winking satire inherent in such bombastic action.

Quote from: weevil
Where were all the scenes where it was completely and utterly dark and the Rock had to walk around with his flashlight and then when he saw a guy he'd switch to his gun but couldn't see anything anyway and he'd just end up getting raped?

Towards the end of the interview linked above they actually make a joke about how one thing they changed in the movie is the flashlight limitation.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #38 on: 25 Aug 2005, 09:51 »

The first Quake could possibly make for a good movie.  Lots of eldritch and Lovecraftian story line to work with.

Tedd

« Reply #39 on: 25 Aug 2005, 11:36 »

Holy crap, my thread is still going. I love you people.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #40 on: 25 Aug 2005, 13:29 »

Ok.  Trailer's got me.  Damn that chainsaw!!!!!!

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #41 on: 25 Aug 2005, 13:51 »

My interest is piqued as well.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #42 on: 26 Aug 2005, 09:16 »

So, since the Rock's got the mission briefing and everything I'm guessing they won't pull an "Executive Decision" and get him axed early on a la Steven Seagal?  It looked like he and Eomer (I would call him his real name but Eomer's friggin' awesome) get equal time shootin' squishy things.  Then again, who knows.  

That was a BFG in there, right?  Right?

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #43 on: 26 Aug 2005, 10:31 »

If there was I missed it or it was what I was thinking may have been the plasma rifle.

Tedd

« Reply #44 on: 26 Aug 2005, 12:29 »

I want a plasma rifle. Buy me a plasma rifle.

weevil

« Reply #45 on: 26 Aug 2005, 22:44 »

Lord Vako is The Doom Guy. The Rock is Sarge. To my understanding, Sarge dies and the Doom Guy does not. Also, Sarge does not complain about radioactive waste and the Doom Guy does.

Daniel

« Reply #46 on: 20 Sep 2005, 08:11 »

You people cannot dampen my irrational enthusiasm for this. For it has The Rock in it, and any movie with The Rock in it makes me say "Hey, a movie with The Rock in it. Awesome!"

... so there.

I have no hopes for this movie to be quality, but I am optimistic that it will be entertaining. And you cannot take that away from me.

oh, and...
Quote from: LiterSize
Hey, I didn't think Mortal Kombat I would be a good movie, but they made it work really well.  Still stands as one of the best video game->movie translations IMO.  

Hell. Yeah. I love Mortal Kombat beyond all reason. Whoever thought to cast Christopher Lambert as Raiden deserves to be knighted or something.

Tedd

« Reply #47 on: 20 Sep 2005, 13:39 »

TEH REVIVALLL!!!!!1111

Everest

« Reply #48 on: 20 Sep 2005, 14:54 »

I'm going to say the same I said somewhere else:

Quote from: Everest

Seems like an original and interesting enough idea, a fps movie, sure. But I doubt it'll go over very well at box offices. Meh, they have marketing goons to worry about that. My guesses are, no matter how crappy it ends up being, it'll still make money. Crap makes money nowadays, that's just the way it is.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
*SPOILERS!*
« Reply #49 on: 22 Oct 2005, 02:20 »

So I went to see it, 9:10 PM show.

*****LOLZISAYTHINGS
ABOUTMOVIEPLOT
PaSTTHISPOINT

LOZLASERSPEWPEW******

Ok, I didn't go in with high expectation and the most experience I had with Doom 3 was a demo in an Xbox kiosk at a Virgin Megastore. HOWEVER... I will say this:  

I didn't think it was bad.  It wasn't great, but it wasn't the piece of shit I expected.  I wanted to see the BFG, I wanted to see the FPS, and most of all I wanted to see the chainsaw.  Mission and objectives accomplished.  There was a lot of stuff plot wise that was just hinted at, such as Grimm's family, the other monsters, etc.  They did include Hell in the plot, albeit metaphorically.  The creatures were few and far between, but what we did see was really good.  The scene in the sewer was good, and they did create some finely tense moments that made me jump. I allowed myself to get into the movie, so sue me.  Karl Urban did a bang up job as Grimm, albeit the character's your standard badass with a heart of gold.  The other soldiers (exception of The Rock's character) were good to raise the bodycount, add some humor, even progress the plot maybe a bit to heavy handed though. THE ROCK WAS PRETTY COOL.  He elected to take the "Sarge" role because it interested him more, according to Imdb.com and to be honest, it really was.  It was a different character from what we've seen him do(seriously!) in the past, so it was a stretch to see a DIFFERENT FACE (wrestling fans should get that term) from The Great One.  There was only one scene where I think the dialogue could have been trimmed, but it leads to better things in the film.

The scenes worked and it didn't seem too dark/lighted/whatever (psst... they had FLASHLIGHTS ON THE GUNS!  ZOMG!) and they got the claustrophobic feeling of the game pretty dead on.  To their credit the plot was KIND of fleshed out, and the characters were KIND of personal, but the movie was just too jam-packed and the audience wasn't there to care.  The FPS sequence was short, and my friend enjoyed it that way.  He found it too disorienting.  I however, thought it could have been used more.  There were hints and pieces FPS throughout the movie, but the dedicated sequence was WAY cool, and WAY BETTER than I expected.  I liked the disorienting, and the little shoutouts they had to the games during the sequence.  I was expecting the HUD to appear at some point.

They did your standard action movie conventions, then survival horror, FPS, and even hand-hand combat in this film, and the heroic sacrifice at one point is just too awesome to describe.  It's why you know these guys are badasses.  At least one of them. It felt to me though they tried to do too many genres in this flick.  

Chainsaw vs. Pinky.  AWESOME.

Ehh, still not sure I liked the chop socky stuff, but I GUESS if you want to say that was "berserker" then it's cool.  The explanation of the virus kind of reminded me of "Serenity."  Fair warning.  Decent enough fight, too.

They didn't have enough of the guns; all I saw was the rifles and the BFG but very little of the chain gun, no rocket launcher, no shotgun.  But there was the chainsaw. :)

Rosamund pike is HOT.

Overall, I didn't mind paying to see the movie and was satisfied with the end product.  Yeah, hell is used metaphorically and we only REALLY see zombies and only one or two monster types from the entire series, but with only 90 mins. there's only so much one can expect.

High body count, too.  And one particularly funny moment that really shouldn't be funny.  But it was.

I would emphasize going to a matinee if you're going to watch it.  Full price...... meeeeeh.  Middle range of 3/5 pintsizes on the scale.

:)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up