THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 21:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Omens  (Read 5222 times)

CHEESEGOD

Good Omens
« on: 25 Oct 2005, 19:05 »

Has anyone read this fantastic book? I'm sure someone has. If you haven't read it, read it. Now.

It is a book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, it is about the end of the world, and it is hilarious.

Discuss..and ask questions.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Good Omens
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2005, 19:20 »

Is it part of the discworld series or is it a stand-alone thing?

I haven't read it, by the way.

CHEESEGOD

Good Omens
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2005, 19:49 »

It is a stand alone, it is set in our world. (Earth fyi)

Now go read it, support your local library (or buy it, I suggest buying it)

La Creme

Good Omens
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2005, 22:42 »

It is up their on my favorite books list. Though I'm not that big into Pratchett (Neil Gaiman is my fucking hero), I really enjoyed this book and had to put it down because I was laughing so hard at least 20 times.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Good Omens
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2005, 23:58 »

I'm a huge Pratchett fan, never read much Gaiman (though I hear Sandman is fucking excellent, but never got around to reading them) and I love this book to little bits. The relationship between Crowley and Azriphale is probably my favorite thing about the entire book, the idea that an Angel and a Demon would have more in common with each other than they would with their respective bosses is a great concept, and the references to the 14th century crack me up.

Also, the idea that every single tape will eventually turn into a best of queen cassette if left for long enough in a car is hilarious. I'm thinking of picking up Anasi Boys next week to see how Gaimans individual writing style is, because I picked up a lot of Pratchett influence in Omens, but I couldn't distinguish what Neil had done.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

ASturge

Good Omens
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2005, 10:10 »

I love the 'Lurker Olympics'

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Good Omens
« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2005, 00:28 »

I'm gonna read this soon, I just got done with Neverwhere. it was fantastic.
also israel

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Good Omens
« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2005, 01:40 »

First Pratchett/Gaiman book I read. Love 'em both now.
There's rumours of it being made into a movie... I don't have particularly high hopes.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Vlishgnath

Good Omens
« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2005, 12:45 »

Quote from: Hat
I'm thinking of picking up Anasi Boys next week to see how Gaimans individual writing style is

I'd really have to recommend 'Neverwhere' before any of Gaiman's other novels.  I'm a little over halfway through 'Anansi' right now and, while it is good, it's certainly not second or third on my Gaiman list.

'Neverwhere' is just brilliant from cover to cover.

5thWheel

Good Omens
« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2005, 01:43 »

If you like the "Neverwhere" book I'd think you'd like "Stardust" , a beautiful dark(ish) modern fairy-tale thingy (& IMO more similar in tone to Neverwhere than "American Gods" (I've not read the new one yet)).  You might also want to check out the fabulous BBC TV series of Neverwhere.
If you like Good Omens, you might want to check out "The Long, Dark Tea-time of the Soul"

lulu

Good Omens
« Reply #10 on: 02 Nov 2005, 14:33 »

Quote from: Rizzo
First Pratchett/Gaiman book I read. Love 'em both now.
There's rumours of it being made into a movie... I don't have particularly high hopes.

Yeah, a film was started on in 2000 or so, with Terry Gilliam directing, but then it kind of got shelved in favor of other projects...which also got shelved, actually.

And: I haven't read Good Omens, but Neverwhere and American Gods (both Gaiman) are some good books.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
Good Omens
« Reply #11 on: 05 Nov 2005, 03:34 »

I havn't read it but friend has. Does that count? :P
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837
Pages: [1]   Go Up