THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: DOOM: The Movie.  (Read 24219 times)

Impulse

DOOM: The Movie.
« Reply #50 on: 22 Oct 2005, 08:51 »

Slightly off topic, but Peter Jackson is directing the Halo movie. As if I couldn't hate Halo anymore.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #51 on: 22 Oct 2005, 14:42 »

What's wrong with Peter Jackson?
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #52 on: 22 Oct 2005, 21:39 »

No. Stop.  DO NOT DERAIL THIS THREAD RIGHT NOW. You want to talk Halo, open up a Halo thread.  You want to talk Peter Jackson, open up a Peter Jackson thread.

Bunnyman

« Reply #53 on: 22 Oct 2005, 21:43 »

Peter Jackson is producing the Halo movie...such is my understanding, at any rate.

It's just a bit of a mismatch.  I mean, if anything it should be a James Cameron movie.  I'm talking about good old Aliens/Abyss/T2 Cameron, not Titanic Cameron.

Then again, Jackson does epic well, and he has great attention to detail and a (somewhat repressed) sense of black humor.

Flipping the production shots for Doom, I'm getting the following impressions:
1. The firearms are just how I like them...almost universally expensive and German.  Though they're cribbing off of the Pulse Rifle far too much, though.  Booooring.
2.  They seem to have captured the feel of Doom3 pretty well.  Which is, to be honest, rather boring.
3.  It's the kind of movie I'll see if someone drags me to it, but not in many other circumstances.

Daniel

« Reply #54 on: 22 Oct 2005, 22:42 »

I really want to like Doom. I have no real love for the game series, but I just find The Rock to be awesome. Sadly, Doom really does look like it's going to be crap. One to watch on DVD, I''m beginning to suspect.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
« Reply #55 on: 22 Oct 2005, 23:04 »

I liked it. A lot of people didn't, but I did. Mostly because I wasn't looking at it as "DOOM THE MOVIE" but as "Oh. A pretty cool semi-sci-fi action flick!"
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

Bunnyman

« Reply #56 on: 23 Oct 2005, 00:07 »

I suspect I might be able to enjoy it, if only because of the precipitous divide between old Doom and new Doom.  I found Doom3 to be a mediocre shooter with layered on Shock-lite elements (as in System) and some nods to the original.  The orignal, for fuck's sake, actually used more colors than shades of grey and the occasional red splotch; the feel was totally different, and I really didn't identify the new monster designs with their older incarnations.

In other words, it's not the franchise I spent my formative years modding and playing.  So everything's cool.

Station

« Reply #57 on: 23 Oct 2005, 00:50 »

I saw Doom and I thought it was pretty OK!  The detailed review from page one of this topic is right on target.  It was entertaining as a Sci-Fi marines killing things movie, and the throwbacks to the series were sweet.  Did anyone else who saw it think that The Doom Guy they chose looked a LOT like the little avatar from Doom 1 and 2?

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #58 on: 23 Oct 2005, 04:40 »

See, I'm a huge fan of the games, and never understood what people were talking about when they tried shooting down DOOM 3.

People seem to want to detract from it because of things like the graphics (yes, they textures are kind of plasticy, but the actual model detail is still genuinely impressive) gameplay (constantly getting ambushed in the dark by nasties) and the stupid little complaint that "there's no duct-tape on Mars"

all of which seems to be missing the point: DOOM 3 wasn't out to be the best game ever, it was out to scare you right out of sanity. the reason there's no duct tape on mars is because id wanted you to be able to either see, OR shoot. not both.

and believe me, if you ever play that game in the dark, wearing headphones, after half an hour, you will reflexively clobber anyone foolish enough to come up behind you and tap you on the shoulder. Either that or suffer a coronary.

The movie, on the other hand, would appear to be pure Hokum (My dad's word describing a film that sets out to be as overblown and entertaining as possible without making any real effort towards technically brilliant film making);

Which I don't mind. I enjoy hokum films. The entire point, IMO, is to just go in there, swith off your brain, and enjoy the 'splodes. Suits me fine, I'll do that.

1patheticloser

« Reply #59 on: 23 Oct 2005, 08:00 »

Yeah, Silent Hill was directed by Christopher Gans, the guy who did Brotherhood of the Wolf, which, in my opinion, rocked my shit.

Also, I saw Doom last night, and it was exactly what I expected it to be. Big dumb fun. Didn't try to be any more than that. And, Karl Urban is totally kick ass.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #60 on: 23 Oct 2005, 11:37 »

Yeaaaah.... Karl Urban is da shite.  Even if the Rock turned down the role of Grimm, Urban was a much better person to pull him off.  Not ENTIRELY a deep character but good nonetheless.  Anyone get the feeling they were hinting at a sequel?

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #61 on: 23 Oct 2005, 15:12 »

Quote from: Bunnyman

Then again, Jackson does epic well, and he has great attention to detail and a (somewhat repressed) sense of black humor.

Have you seen his early movies? They're all horror comedies. Some of the funniest films I've ever seen.

Doom... I'm thinking of getting drunk and seeing it on Tuesday, the cheapest day. Sounds like the most sensible thing to do.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Bunnyman

« Reply #62 on: 23 Oct 2005, 17:17 »

Actually, I was referring to said older movies (Bad Taste represent!).  The repression bit is that LotR was definitely not a horror comedy, and the bits and pieces of comedy were at best worth a smirk.  Wow, Dwarves are short!

The Rock just wouldn't work as the Doom guy.  Sorry.  Sarge is a perfect match, though.  Gruff, laconic, badass, kills stuff.  To be honest, a movie where the Doom guy said *nothing* would be awesome, but it'd become some sort of black-and-white French new-wave sci-fi action flick.  Le Dernier Combat in space, if you will.  Actually, that'd be hella cool.

I'm begging to get the urge to see this movie.  The FPS sequence (what I saw of it) is such a hokey concept, I just gotta see it.  And they seem to have captured the feel very well.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #63 on: 24 Oct 2005, 00:29 »

The FPS sequence (what I saw of it) is such a hokey concept, I just gotta see it.  

That right there? That's how I feel all the time.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #64 on: 24 Oct 2005, 01:48 »

Actually, I was referring to said older movies (Bad Taste represent!).  The repression bit is that LotR was definitely not a horror comedy, and the bits and pieces of comedy were at best worth a smirk.  Wow, Dwarves are short!

Bad Taste was the first NZ made film I ever saw and the first horror ever. Awesome stuff. Also BrainDead, it's been touted as the most violent movie ever made. I think it has a different name overseas. See it if you haven't already.

Unfortunately drinking is off owing to final exams next week. Gutted. No drunken dooming. Oh well.
I'll just buy D3 instead.
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

RedLeather

« Reply #65 on: 24 Oct 2005, 09:09 »

I wanna see this movie, if only to encourage the proucers to say "Hey! People like this movie, maybe we should make a video-game movie more based on the game next time!" Who knows?

Bunnyman

« Reply #66 on: 24 Oct 2005, 21:34 »

Wel, there's BrainDead, which is the US cut of Dead Alive (or is it the other way around?).  By "cut" I mean "cut all the good stuff, because the movie needs stupid amounts of gore to really work."

I wonder how a Doom:TheRoguelike movie would turn out.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #67 on: 25 Oct 2005, 08:54 »

I like the fact  that Doom didn't go for the "new powered" zombies that showed up in some recent zombie flicks.

sjbrot

« Reply #68 on: 25 Oct 2005, 11:17 »

Surprise, surprise: Two thumbs down from Ebert & Roeper.

And, the other night ont The Daily Show, The Rock was promoting Doom while tugging the BFG around with him.

I will see it for the same reason I saw Los Bravos: It's looks so very, very bad.

Everytime I see a clip of the FPS footage, it's hard not to start giggling.

Bunnyman

« Reply #69 on: 25 Oct 2005, 22:13 »

Agreed.  It's like looking over someone's shoulder while they're playing an FPS.  When is that entertaining?  Well, when that FPS is F.E.A.R.  Or...well, it' third person, but Max Payne.  Elsewise...

Sathanas

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #70 on: 27 Oct 2005, 03:09 »

I saw it today, and I rather liked it. I probably would have liked it a bit more if it had been more true to the game, but they got the basic idea right, which was - see things, shoot them. Act like a badass. Boss fight. Finish.

Worked for me.
Estuans interius ira vehementi.

sjbrot

« Reply #71 on: 30 Oct 2005, 22:49 »

And I quote:

"If they were so very smart, why are they so very dead?"

Also, apparently having a twenty-fourth chromosome will lead to super-strength and intelligence. I always thought it would just lead to birth defects.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #72 on: 30 Oct 2005, 23:25 »

Maybe if it's chromosome pairs...
One extra chromosome leads to yours and my favourite; Downsyndrome (TM).
Oh god, I'm going hell...

sjbrot

« Reply #73 on: 31 Oct 2005, 14:39 »

If you are, you'll have company.

We were shouting "They're fighting down-syndrome sufferers!" through several parts of the movie.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #74 on: 03 Nov 2005, 20:43 »

What a bad bad movie. Not even as a science-fiction movie did it succeed. Bad creature effects, hackneyed dialogue, cliched characters - I thought this is what comedy movies are made of.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #75 on: 04 Nov 2005, 00:01 »

Don't tell me you were actually expecting quality?

That's not what the DOOM movie's about, man.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #76 on: 04 Nov 2005, 01:22 »

Quote from: sjbrot
If you are, you'll have company.

We were shouting "They're fighting down-syndrome sufferers!" through several parts of the movie.

That's nice to know. I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking it...

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
« Reply #77 on: 04 Nov 2005, 17:44 »

<nepredi> i was watching doom in the cinema today
<nepredi> there was a very exciting scene where it was matter of life or death
<nepredi> and some guy behind me screams "SAVE IT, IDIOT!"

(from bash.org)
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up