THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I <3 Huckabees  (Read 9732 times)

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
I <3 Huckabees
« on: 04 Aug 2005, 18:10 »

I just watched this movie and thought it was SUBERB. It was sweet and nonchalantly funny. Jason Swartzman was perfect and was exactly like a friend of mine (who I am in love with).

DISCUSS THE MOVIE! What did you think?
I like the way you work it.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #1 on: 04 Aug 2005, 18:31 »

I absolutely adored this movie.  When did it come out in the U.S.?  'Cause it only came out here early this year, and I was amazed that it wasn't up for a script-writing award at the Oscars.

The thing I liked most about it was that it was one of the first movies I've seen come out of America in ages in which absolutely nobody died.  So many movies treat human life basically as disposable, it was so refreshing to see a movie in which nobody came to any harm at all.  And yet which still managed to deal with big issues.

The Texas Hero

I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #2 on: 04 Aug 2005, 18:45 »

The opening line is one of my favorites in history. I thought Mark Whalberg is who made the movie hillarious though. Schwartzmen had a couple funny moments (the rock poem)...But I found myself cracking up whenever marky mark was on.

thew

I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #3 on: 04 Aug 2005, 18:56 »

Just watched it with commentary the other night (still have to watch it with the actors commentary). Besides wearing it's politics proudly on its sleave it's also great to see an American film tackle non-Christian spirituality. Christ metaphors are sooooo overdone. And I love Jon Brion's music, he got double snubbed by the oscars. His scores for this and Eternal Sunshine were two of the best last year.

soap

I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #4 on: 05 Aug 2005, 14:54 »

i must be the odd one out
i was slightly underwelmed by it ... or maybe i just didnt really 'get' it properly

thehoopiestfrood

I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #5 on: 09 Aug 2005, 17:56 »

Ah, I thought it was great. :)

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2005, 20:05 »

aaaaagh, what an awesome movie! My local movie theater didn't run it, but than the historic downtown Fox Theater (a massive edifice of art deco goodness) did play it for one weekend.  Its a rare movie that manages to be hilarious while actually looking at the 'big' issues.

Deticui

I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2005, 15:46 »

Quote from: soap
i must be the odd one out
i was slightly underwelmed by it ... or maybe i just didnt really 'get' it properly

try watching it under the influence of a certain green plant that a certain spiderman character shares its name with.

then watch it again after you've gone and picked up some oreos.

finally, turn it on right before you go to sleep at night, and if you happen to wake up in the middle of the night and the movie finished, start it over again.  rinse, repeat.

Vivian: "Have you ever transcended space and time?"

Albert: "Yes.  No....well, time, not space.  No, I dont know what you're talking about."

plus, what Dustin Hoffman has drawn on his ginormous blackboard = THE COOL.  I'm doing one for my apartment as soon as I find a blackboard that big.

shrimp

I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2005, 16:07 »

You can get a tin of blackboard paint, then paint a wall of the room- negates the need to buy a giant blackboard..

Deticui

I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2005, 14:46 »

true, but since i'll be moving into an apartment, i doubt my manager would like that sort of thing.

shrimp

I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2005, 15:49 »

hmm, get a tin of blackboard paint and a giant piece of plywood and paint taht, then attach t to the wall.. :) A blackboard.. mobile too, bring it where ever you go next.

rive gauche

I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2005, 09:11 »

my favourite part is when brad comes into the meeting and he's all excited talking about the schedule for the benefit and he says "and shania sinnngs!" .. hahahaha.. oh lordy.

Deticui

I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2005, 08:33 »

i loved the part where they go have dinner with the african guy's family and Marky Mark tells the daughter that Jesus doesnt love her because her dad drives an SUV.

.Kate.

I <3 Huckabees
« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2005, 14:20 »

Such a good movie.  Is he still in Phantom Planet?
Pages: [1]   Go Up