Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: AFI  (Read 15773 times)

sp2

AFI
« Reply #50 on: 20 Aug 2005, 23:27 »

Quote from: Asialicious
I have three pictures of Davey in my room right now

I'm sorry.

Also for the record, I have nothing against KISS and am a big fan of Metallica and many other rock bands.

It's one thing to hate rock and roll.  It is a completely different thing to hate rock and roll and then LIE about it.  Seriously, don't be that guy.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
AFI
« Reply #51 on: 21 Aug 2005, 02:05 »

I'm a huge AFI fan. I don't know why. I just really enjoy listening to them.
Perhaps it's the fact that I used to be really into punk when I was 14-16 then got into goth then grew up and decided to be myself? I guess that works...
Either way, I like it.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Asialicious

AFI
« Reply #52 on: 23 Aug 2005, 17:29 »

Quote from: sp2

It's one thing to hate rock and roll.  It is a completely different thing to hate rock and roll and then LIE about it.  Seriously, don't be that guy.
I'm not a guy and I honestly don't hate rock.

Also, I would very much enjoy it if you stopped acting like you have any idea of who I am. I know nothing of you so I don't act like I do. I just ask for that favor back from people.

sp2

AFI
« Reply #53 on: 23 Aug 2005, 19:06 »

Now you're being "that guy" again.  Seriously, don't be "that guy."

sp2

AFI
« Reply #54 on: 23 Aug 2005, 19:08 »

Anyways, AFI don't hold a candle to these guys:

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
AFI
« Reply #55 on: 23 Aug 2005, 19:08 »

I love how every single time a new member comes on and you say something they get really defensive and shit. It's totally hilarious.

EDIT: Nor to these guys:

Siouxsie and the Banshees would kick AFI's ass.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

sp2

AFI
« Reply #56 on: 23 Aug 2005, 19:11 »

Yeah, new folks generally tend to front a lot.  Eventually they relax.  Or something.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
AFI
« Reply #57 on: 23 Aug 2005, 21:23 »

I think it's more de-sensitisation in your case sp2.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

sp2

AFI
« Reply #58 on: 23 Aug 2005, 22:44 »

I'm not that abrasive, am I?

No, don't answer that.  Really.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
AFI
« Reply #59 on: 23 Aug 2005, 22:55 »

Quote from: Kai
I love how every single time a new member comes on and you say something they get really defensive and shit. It's totally hilarious.

I don't think I was being defensive... oh crap, I'm being defensive... I can't win.
Franz Ferdinand? Kick AFI's ass? No way man. Siouxsie could but not Franz...
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

sp2

AFI
« Reply #60 on: 24 Aug 2005, 00:23 »

That's not Franz Ferdinand.  Goddamn, not all hipsters are Franz Ferdinand.

That's actually a local avant goth/punk band from Denver called The Swayback.  They are very awesome and yes, they could kick the shit out of AFI.

Then again, I'm pretty sure Tori Amos could kick the shit out of AFI.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
AFI
« Reply #61 on: 24 Aug 2005, 14:15 »

Rizzo: We were (or at least I was, anyways) talking about Asialicious. "That Guy".

Speaking of The Swayback: I just went to their site, they're coming here, their live show any good?
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

soap

AFI
« Reply #62 on: 24 Aug 2005, 14:52 »

That's actually a local avant goth/punk band from Denver called The Swayback.  

i thought it was fall out boy :S

i wonder if AFI is what happens if you deflate a misfit

sp2

AFI
« Reply #63 on: 24 Aug 2005, 17:03 »

Quote from: Kai
Speaking of The Swayback: I just went to their site, they're coming here, their live show any good?

Yes.  When I've seen them, they've sounded good and had good stage presence.  They have a good reputation locally for putting on a good show, too.  If you like that sort of Misfits-meets-Bauhaus gothy post-punk, they're a damned good band.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
AFI
« Reply #64 on: 24 Aug 2005, 18:23 »

Awesome. now I have two shows to go to!

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
AFI
« Reply #65 on: 24 Aug 2005, 22:18 »

That's not Franz Ferdinand.  Goddamn, not all hipsters are Franz Ferdinand.

I wasn't sure but the guy in the Moving Units shirt looks so much like this guy, http://www.hero.ac.uk/resources/26295.jpg, the singer from Franz Ferdinand that I just made an assumption.

Rizzo: We were (or at least I was, anyways) talking about Asialicious. "That Guy"

Yeah, I was attempting to be "witty". I obviously overshot...

sp2

AFI
« Reply #66 on: 25 Aug 2005, 01:04 »

Observation A) Franz Ferdinand is a quartet.  That band photo shows only three folks.  And it's clearly a full-band shot.

Observation B) The image is also a link to the band's myspace site.  Notice that the band name is The Swayback, not Franz Ferdinand.  This is probably important.

Observation C) Franz Ferdinand sort of really suck.

Conclusion: Don't jump to conclusions.  Make observations first.  Assumptions often lead you astray.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
AFI
« Reply #67 on: 25 Aug 2005, 01:40 »

Observation A) Franz Ferdinand is a quartet.  That band photo shows only three folks.  And it's clearly a full-band shot.

Observation B) The image is also a link to the band's myspace site.  Notice that the band name is The Swayback, not Franz Ferdinand.  This is probably important.

Observation C) Franz Ferdinand sort of really suck.

Conclusion: Don't jump to conclusions.  Make observations first.  Assumptions often lead you astray.

I didn't think to click the image, I appologise for shaming this cherished band of yours.
You must admit though, he really does look similar.

sp2

AFI
« Reply #68 on: 25 Aug 2005, 02:10 »

You didn't shame them, although I do cherish them.  

I do recommend checking them out.  They are pretty damned good, and are pretty much on the verge of breaking through to the national scene, along with several other experimental Denver acts (experimental ambient hardcore punk Bright Channel and avant slavic-alternative DeVotchKa are the other two that come to mind, although the poppy alternative Hot IQs are also going places).  So I'm just pimping them out, because A) I want to see them succeed, because I really like their music and B) because I figure there are folks here who will appreciate being tuned into bands they haven't heard of and might actually like.  Word of mouth, of course, is how bands make it to the national scene.  Supporting your local bands and promoting them via word of mouth is also how you maintain a thriving local independant music scene (Denver, Boulder, and the suburbs between and around the two are a great place to be a musician or a music fan right now).

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
AFI
« Reply #69 on: 25 Aug 2005, 02:23 »

Awww *pats sp2 on the back* look at you being all constructive and nice!
GO YOU! *hides from the backlash of sp2*
I was just about to hide all the newbies and try to fend off your wrath of music elitism... :)

I'm not really a fan of AFI.  I liked a few of their songs when I was going through that phase of "boo hoo I'm not sure what music I likeeeee", but now that I look back they seem a bit bland and uh negative? I'm not sure but I definitely prefer indie pop.  That being said I dont really know much about them, mostly just stuff like that silver and cold song, and other stuff on that same album. So feel free to say "NO YOU NAIVE PERSON YOU ARE WRONG THERE IS A LOT BETTER STUFF OI".

sp2

AFI
« Reply #70 on: 25 Aug 2005, 05:30 »

Nice?  I guess.  I'm just deciding that I'm going to tip my hand a little bit.  Recent events with the CBGB in New York, and the loss of several small but classic venues in my own town (The Tulagi and Penny Lane, in case you know anything about Boulder) certainly have played a part in this decision.

Anyways.  Here's the thing.

Coldplay suck.

Oh wait, that's not the thing.  Well, it's part of the thing.  Not the entire thing, though.

Here's the thing.

A lot of people determine what they like and what they should like by reading magazines and listening to radio shows that tell them what they should like, or by checking out sales charts.  They buy a best-selling album by a band and immediately proclaim it the most awesome thing that ever existed.  If you are talking about political punk, someone will inevitably bring up American Idiot, even though Green Day really have no place in the political punk scene.  Anti-Flag?  Yes.  Dead Kennedys?  Yes.  Bad Religion?  Yes.  (International) Noise Conspiracy?  Certainly yes.  Green Day?  Yeah, no, sorry.  Try again.  That's the problem.  Many people assume that they can read an article in Rolling Stone or Spin and suddenly be musically literate.  But you'll never be a punk from reading mainstream commercialized literature.  If you want to understand the movement, and you want to know what bands are out there and are worthwhile, you need to read independent 'zines.  You need to get involved with local organizations.  You need to support your local scene (there was a time when every other kid had a "Support Your Local Punk Band" sticker on their skateboard, but most of them couldn't name a local punk band if they tried).  I'm using punk as an example, but really any movement has the same problems.

Then you have these megagroups, like Coldplay, which are really nothing more than concerted marketing attempts.  Some of these groups, like U2, write songs with the intention of selling the rights off for use in commercials.  Others make a career out of being completely inoffensive and thus write shitty soulless play-by-numbers elevator music, like Coldplay does.  Others try to co-opt aspects of music that is supposed to have a counter-mainstream message (punk or death metal, for example) into music that has a mainstream message but retains the sonic appeal of the counter-mainstream music (so then, Good Charlotte or Christian Death Metal).  Then you have bands that are perfectly decent, but they make a career out of being perpetually decent, rather than taking chances and actually doing something meaningful even at risk of losing some fans (especially at risk of losing some fans).  A good example would be Foo Fighters, who initially did some interesting stuff, but then proceeded to just do the same thing, over and over, without taking any chances.  You also have bands that change their music regularly just to follow current trends rather than because the artists are maturing musically.  An example would be Green Day's album American Idiot, which was an obvious and shameless attempt to cash in on the anti-Bush sentiment in 2004, and which offered little insight into the political situation, unlike some of the more serious political punk and industrial bands who also put out albums that year.

The simple fact is, much of the popular music out there is crap.  That's not particularly shocking, because most of the music out there, period, is shit.  Go to an open mic night and you'll hear some of the most abysmal shit ever played on an acoustic guitar, and most of those guys don't even have fans (thus disproving the Hipster theory of music quality, or whatever it's called).  The problem is, people tend to swallow crap if it's served to them as a 5 course meal.  It takes no effort to find music by Coldplay, it takes no effort to hear about them, and it takes no effort to spread the word to your friends, so that's why people listen to them.

Additionally, buying Coldplay CDs and otherwise supporting Coldplay does nothing for your local music scene.  Buying Coldplay albums won't make more bands come to your town.  Buying Coldplay albums won't support local talent that helps enrich local rock bars, coffee shops, music shops, and so forth.  Buying Coldplay albums won't establish an environment in your town that will support you if you decide to put together a band of your own and play small shows around town.

If you want good bands out there, either in the mainstream scene, the indie scene, or the local scene, you need to support the local scene, because without vibrant local scenes, good bands don't make it to the national/international indie scene or the national/international mainstream scene.  Supporting the local scene means buying local music.  Going to local shows, and paying the $5 cover to see 6 bands play.  Talking about local bands.  Buying your music from that beat-up used record store, even if they cost a dollar or two more than Best Buy, because they carry flyers for local shows and albums for local bands.  Telling other people about local bands when they're touring nationally, because even if they get abundant press in your own town, people in other cities probably know jack shit about them, and word of mouth is much more effective than a 2 sentence blurb in the paper at the bottom of the page in small print.

The truth of the matter is, people WILL listen to shitty mainstream no matter what anyone says or does.  I'll take potshots at Coldplay and other insipid and uninspired acts because I think it's necessary, but there will still be plenty of people who buy into these bands because they're there.  However, it does take an effort to support the local scene and tofind and support decent local bands, so I'm trying to convince the folks here that it is worthwhile (which I really do believe is true) and that you can find good local bands in many cities (which is also true) which are often just as good as (if not significantly better than) the crap you get fed by the music media, be it Rolling Stone or Paste or whatever national music mag you're reading.  Not to mention a vibrant local scene means that more nationally-touring bands will stop through your town because they know a lot of people will attend their shows.  It may take a little effort, but it's damned-well worth it in the long run.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
AFI
« Reply #71 on: 25 Aug 2005, 06:02 »

Fine speech sir. Makes me wish I had more of a local music scene worth supporting*. You should probably actually make a thread to support this general strand of very cogent reasoning, however.

*No rock bars, no indie record shops, no cheap venues of any standard (and by this I mean, venues that a local band could afford to play), one concert organiser with a roster of shitty revolting mass appeal local bands, rather than the actually good ones, no scene whatsoever for any type of music I care about or do not wish to crush under my boot-heels (ie, we have an 'emo' scene), lots of crap bands full of crap people. The decent island bands play on the mainland.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

sp2

AFI
« Reply #72 on: 25 Aug 2005, 10:50 »

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I was awaiting independant confirmation.  I want to edit a few things (I was only half-awake when I typed that up last night/this morning) and add a few things, but yeah.  New thread.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
AFI
« Reply #73 on: 25 Aug 2005, 22:45 »

Quote from: StarlightRecycler
That being said I dont really know much about them, mostly just stuff like that silver and cold song, and other stuff on that same album. So feel free to say "NO YOU NAIVE PERSON YOU ARE WRONG THERE IS A LOT BETTER STUFF OI".

There is a lot of stuff that is better in some peoples opinions. I really like those songs though. I guess I'm a mopey kind of guy.

sp2:
I've found that while I don't encourage or support piracy I figure it's ok to burn a CD by anyone Foreign you see advertised on TV. If you pirate local then you're only undermining your own scene. However, if the band is big enough to justify mass marketing as far away from their own stomping grounds as NZ then fuck 'em, they've got plenty of money.
I don't bother with any of the major record stores anymore  and I have never brought a music magazine. I get pretty much all of my musical recommendations from friends, forums and flyers.
I like what you have to say.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up