THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 09:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ringtones?  (Read 3781 times)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Ringtones?
« on: 20 Feb 2006, 19:07 »

I got my cellphone on Saturday, and one of the first things I asked the service rep was whether or not I could put my own MP3s on my phone as ringtones. She said that this is possible with almost any phone, including the one I ended up buying, but it's necessary to convert them to a certain format and text the file to the phone company.

My problem is this: I don't know what to convert them to or how to do so (ie: what program to use). If anyone could help me out with this I would be super grateful. I'm using Cingular, and my phone is a Sony Ericsson Z520a.

I tried looking on their website first, but I found nothing of use. I have the feeling they keep this info as difficult to figure out as possible to rope you into paying ridiculous amounts for songs you already own.

(Note: If this would be more appropriate under Computers or I Like Fish, I apologize. I wasn't quite sure where to categorize it.)
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

BPMninja

Ringtones?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2006, 19:51 »

LIVE!Forever

Ringtones?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2006, 20:02 »

i didn't want to deal with all that shit also, and that smashworld website was kind of lame(6 seconds ideal time), so i saved up for a long time and bought a sony ericsson w600i (walkman phone). you can connect to your comp via usb and upload songs and then use them for ringtones. i was thinking about the rokr phone but the sales rep told me i had to buy songs off itunes first. hah! forget that.

La Creme

Ringtones?
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2006, 20:52 »

There is an Ars Moriendi MIDI on the Bungle site.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Ringtones?
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2006, 20:54 »

I'm trying that site out now, and I've already uploaded two songs, but I'm waiting for them to work through the queue. Thanks for the help.

zoidbergslo

• Emoticontraindication
Ringtones?
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2006, 03:03 »

the other way is to buy a ir or bluetooth usb thingy (ok i dont know how to say that). and just upload your favourite mp3 or midi to phone with software that you got with the phone

MilkmanDan

Ringtones?
« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2006, 19:26 »

My phone plays MP3s, and connects to my computer via Bluetooth. This makes it easy as all hell change my ringtone. I haven't changed it once though, it's always been 'Don't Stop (Until you get enough)' By Michael Jackson.
Yeah. You know.

zenned

Ringtones?
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2006, 02:02 »

Does the Z520 have bluetooth? I don't know. I have the older version of this phone.

you need to chop out a ringtone-friendly section (no more than 30 seconds) of the MP3 with whatever audio editor you like, and then save it as a fairly-low bitrate, 16khz mono MP3.

To get it on your phone (bluetooth/IR aside), you need to upload the resulting file to some webspace somewhere, browse to it on your phone and download it.

MMSing audio files, on Cingular's network anyway, will convert them to AMR (which is a cellular speech codec) and destroy your quality.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
Ringtones?
« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2006, 03:44 »

My phone came with (Samsun D600) came with a cable that slots into my PC.

Was there no such cable with your phone?
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
Ringtones?
« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2006, 16:03 »

All mine came with was the charger. I'm sure I could buy one, though. I wonder how much it would cost.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Ringtones?
« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2006, 01:50 »

Believe it or not, my phone came with a ringtone.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

zenned

Ringtones?
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2006, 06:00 »

Quote from: zmeiat_joro
Believe it or not, my phone came with a ringtone.

The ringtones both Cingular and Sony Ericsson ship are awful, though.
Seriously, I'd like to find out who thought it would be a good idea to have a ringtone of a chicken clucking and shoot them in the face.

They don't ship an actual ring, either. Bastards.

- Robert (whose current ringtone is a bit of the Notwist's 'One With the Freaks')
Pages: [1]   Go Up