THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Concept Album(s)  (Read 58485 times)

ASturge

Favorite Concept Album(s)
« Reply #50 on: 15 Aug 2005, 12:11 »

It's not a concept album.

To be a concept album it's got to have more then just a narrative.

It is fucking brilliant though

Super Dave

« Reply #51 on: 15 Aug 2005, 21:00 »

Quote from: Kai
GWAR = God What's that Awful Racket?

Not true. It's not even an acronym.

Also, War Party is Kick-Ass

Kid Modernist

« Reply #52 on: 16 Aug 2005, 02:46 »

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

TheCourtJester

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!
« Reply #53 on: 16 Aug 2005, 03:33 »

Yea...AI was a concept album. Even the music videos they've released run together.

Would A Perfect Circle's first album be considered a concept album? I've got a friend who'd stake his life (or maybe twenty bucks) that is WAS...but I've said it was just the band before they really found their "sound."
The sad thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

FeralCats

• Plantmonster
« Reply #54 on: 17 Aug 2005, 05:17 »

Quote from: Kai
Quote from: pintsizeshomie
Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall kick any other concept albums ass, and basically kick the ass of any other albums.

You know Joe's Garage is way better than anything Pink Floyd ever did. Come on. Admit it. Just do it. In fact, I can pretty much vouch that any concept album (or album, for that matter) that Zappa/The Mothers did is better than Pink Floyd.. but whatever.

I love you.

Anyway, my personal favorites are-

Everything by Frank Zappa
Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche
Quadrophenia by The Who
Welcome to My Nightmare/Alice Cooper goes to hell by Alice Cooper
Jesus Christ Superstar
Sad Wings of Destiny by Judas Priest

I have a lot of concept albums, (most of my collection are concept albums) but I'm only listing my personal favorites.

"The Wall" is a pretty good album, but the music doesn't grab me as much as other things do. It is admittedley very dramatic, and is more like a movie too me. I think that's why people like it.
"Okay, let's get this straight, okay, we're totally going to create a Questionable Content Forum signature here, just as soon as we get tuned up, any moment now, yes, wait one moment sir, any seco...."

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #55 on: 17 Aug 2005, 05:26 »

Another vote for Jesus Christ Superstar here.

Quote from: Hatebunny
Nine Inch Nails - the Downward Spiral (I'd have said 'the fragile'...but that's not as coherent a concept)

I'm going with 'The Fragile'... I was under the impression it was just a continuation of 'The Downward Spiral', exploring similar themes. I've heard some people describe it as a sort of 'what if' album, as in, what if 'The Downward Spiral' didn't end the way it did.

Plus there's that whole suicide bit after 'The Great Below' where you change discs... that's awesome planning.

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
« Reply #56 on: 17 Aug 2005, 06:51 »

I think a concept album has more to do with a story or one very strong unifying theme than just a theme or recurring subject. I would say Pinkerton features an abandoned concept, but is not a "A concept album."  

anyway, my favorite concept albums-

The Who- Sell Out
Frank Zappa- Joe's Garage
Sufjan Stevens- Illinois
The World/Inferno Friendship Society- Bridgewater Astral League
Johnny Cash- almost any of his concept albums from the 60s.
The Kinks- several of their albums
David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust
Several albums by Parlaiment/Funkadelic
Husker Du- Zen Arcade
Queensr˙che- Operation: Mindcrime
both Mars Volta albums

Also, many albums may not be entirely concept albums, but feature song cycles. W/IFS's "Just the best party" has one of my favorite song cycles, and so does The Jam's "Setting Sons." Lyrics Born also has song cycle on "Later That Day"
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

sp2

« Reply #57 on: 17 Aug 2005, 17:29 »

Concept albums should not only all be about the same thing, but thhey should also tell a story, not only through lyrics, but also through various musical devices.  There should  be an introduction, development of a conflict, and a final resolution.  One could even consider different songs from a concept album as different movements in a symphony.

Prog rock generally lends itself best to concept albums as prog tends to explore the same musical theme in many ways, and tends to be more lengthy and developed than most other rock genres.  Metal and goth rock tend to lend themselves to concepts as well, as both genres tend to be very.....dramatic.  Industrial also lends itself to concept albums (sometimes) because industrial music tends to both be dramatic (gooth influence) and revisit the same themes over and over (electronica/prog influence).  I would claimm, for example, that Skinny Puppy's most recent album, The Greater Wrong of the Right, was probably a concept album related to the Iraq war.  This contrasts with other anti-war albums, such as the above-mentioned Green Day album, because Greater Wrong set up a distinct narrative, and kept a consistent theme both lyrically and musically.

One that's not beenn mentioned yet, of course, is The Who - Tommy, which was an awesome album and I totally forgot about it earlier.

That deaf, dumb, and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #58 on: 17 Aug 2005, 18:06 »

Damn, no-one has as well.

I'll name a few more of my favourites that haven't been mentioned before, and the concepts:

The Meads of Asphodel - Jihad (Links the current conflicts in the middle east to the crusades via esoteric readings of the bible and a lot of drugs)
Ewigkeit - Radio Ixtlan (Basically, it's about mortality. It's actually far, far, far more complex than that: it's the only album I know of that comes with an explanatory essay and a recommended reading list)
Bal-Sagoth - The Fall of Atlantis trilogy (A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria, Starfire Burning on the Ice Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule, Battle Magic (The first trilogy of Bal-Sagoths uniting story arc of bizarre lovecraftian fantasy. Explaining the plot would be pointless and tedious beyond belief. Listen to 'em. They're great))
Nightingale - The Legend of the Breathing Shadow Series (I, The Breathing Shadow, The Closing Chronicles, Alive Again: The Breathing Shadow Pt. 4 (Another band pulling the trick of epic storytelling over multiple albums. Good old Dan Swano))
Crown of Autumn - The Treasures Arcane (It is very definitely a concept album. I kinda know the plot too. it's something about a dead lover, and elves, and fairies. The problem is all the lyrics are in atrocious olde english written by Italians. It's a fucking nice album though.)
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans (Apart from encompassing pretty much every shade and expression of grief, sorrow, rage, despair and anguish, TLtS is about a poets struggle with loss of inspiration, rejection of religion and eventual suicide following the death of his lover)
Cradle of Filth - Cruelty and the Beast (Here's your drama. A superbly ott re-telling of the legend of Countess Bathory, drowned in 100 gallons of stage blood and eyeliner)
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Hatebunny

« Reply #59 on: 17 Aug 2005, 18:09 »

Quote from: TheCourtJester
Yea...AI was a concept album. Even the music videos they've released run together.

Would A Perfect Circle's first album be considered a concept album? I've got a friend who'd stake his life (or maybe twenty bucks) that is WAS...but I've said it was just the band before they really found their "sound."

No, it wasn't really a concept album. Thirteenth Step (their second album) was, though. It's not that great a concept, though. Mer De Noms is more like 'here are some songs, Maynard.' 'thanks billy. now I'll give them names of people I owe favours, and we'll use some pretentious french titling and be on our way.' 'you're an asshole maynard.' 'shut up and play.'

and again, I don't think the fragile is a concept album. The second disc has no running theme beyond the usual 'I am trent reznor' songs, and the first disc, while there is a theme, lacks narrative. If anything, I'd say that the first disc is like a prequel to The downward spiral, rather than a sequel. Fragility is what leads to breaking down.

stevethepirate

« Reply #60 on: 17 Aug 2005, 18:53 »

I am going to have to go with Dark side of the moon on this one, partially because I own the LP with the original dust cover but that's only a very very small reason why, really it's just cause the album kicks ass all the way to the dark side of the moon. not a very good joke, I know.

Not An Addict

« Reply #61 on: 17 Aug 2005, 19:29 »

Rhythm Nation.

What? It's a concept album. Kind of.

La Creme

« Reply #62 on: 17 Aug 2005, 19:35 »

Quote from: Super Dave

Not true. It's not even an acronym.

Also, War Party is Kick-Ass

WRONG! It stands for God What an Awful Racket. Kai was pretty close.

If we're goin' Gwar, they're all concept albums but the best (as a complete thought) is Violence Has Arrived. This Toilet Earth is the best album though.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #63 on: 17 Aug 2005, 21:22 »

Concept Albums?  Would that include concept bands?  If so my favorite recent concept albums are:

Deltron 3030
Dr. Octagonecologyst
Madvillainy
Handsome Boy Modelling School (So...How's Your Girl?)

Maybe the Gorillaz stuff

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #64 on: 18 Aug 2005, 05:30 »

If Miseducation of Lauryn Hill counts as a concept album, then that would be my favourite..

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
« Reply #65 on: 18 Aug 2005, 05:38 »

Quote from: JLM
Concept Albums?  Would that include concept bands?  If so my favorite recent concept albums are:

Deltron 3030
Dr. Octagonecologyst
Madvillainy
Handsome Boy Modelling School (So...How's Your Girl?)

Maybe the Gorillaz stuff

well, for concept band, it's Devo, hands down. Also, The Causey Way.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

destructotroninator

« Reply #66 on: 18 Aug 2005, 10:21 »

couple recent ones I'm fond of are:
Mae - The Everglow
Armor For Sleep - What To Do When You Are Dead

The Everglow is a concept album is ever I heard one. not even close to BEST EVAR or anything, but it's just very obviously a concept album. and a pretty good one, I think.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #67 on: 18 Aug 2005, 16:12 »

The Residents definatly take the cake for Concept Band. Theory of Obscurity and Anominity, anyone? 98% of their albums are concept albums? Eyeball masks and tophats? yeah. I think they win.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #68 on: 19 Aug 2005, 12:51 »

two words.

KING DIAMOND

thomals

• Not quite a lurker
Re: Favorite Concept Album(s)
« Reply #69 on: 08 Sep 2009, 15:22 »

Protest the Hero - Kezia
Decemberists - The Hazards of Love

both of them are a fucking journey.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #70 on: 08 Sep 2009, 15:42 »

Whoa
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
« Reply #71 on: 08 Sep 2009, 15:45 »

Yeah, mega 4-year topic necromancy going on here. Serious magic.

On topic, Kezia is a really cool concept album  :-P
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #72 on: 08 Sep 2009, 15:49 »

Ghost by Radical Face is pretty good.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #73 on: 08 Sep 2009, 15:51 »

uh black sheep boy i guess
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Zingoleb

« Reply #74 on: 08 Sep 2009, 16:38 »

Bal-Sagoth - The Fall of Atlantis trilogy (A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria, Starfire Burning on the Ice Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule, Battle Magic (The first trilogy of Bal-Sagoths uniting story arc of bizarre lovecraftian fantasy. Explaining the plot would be pointless and tedious beyond belief. Listen to 'em. They're great))

Seriously, just look at the liner notes.

Yoshimi doesn't count as a concept album. Only the beginning does.

I second Tommy. I also say Antichrist Superstar with zero shame.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #75 on: 08 Sep 2009, 16:45 »

Pink World by Planet P Project.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #76 on: 08 Sep 2009, 16:47 »

Ramona Cordova's The Boy Who Floated Freely
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #77 on: 08 Sep 2009, 18:32 »

Andrew Lloyd Webber?  Now, I admit that I've never heard "Jesus Christ Superstar," but every musical that man has ever written has just been him taking a massive dump on music.  His requiem inspired a 12-year-old kid to say "That's not a requiem, that's crap."  Even children can tell that he can't compose his way out of a wet paper bag.

Anyways, I actually like a lot of the songs off of Blind Guardian's "Nightfall in Middle-Earth."  I don't tend to enjoy concept albums, because they tend to sacrifice the quality of a few songs in order to get them to match whatever theme they're shooting for.  As such, I feel that it's not as solid an album as what the band tends to turn out when not trying to go for a concept.

Although I despise them, Dream Theater's "Scenes From A Memory" was pretty damn good,

I think I am the only person in the world who likes Dream Theater but can't listen to this album.  After Rudess joined the band, it all became noodley, pretentious crap.  I hear that they seem to be trying to make music again, but I'm having trouble believing that.

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime (Yes, I like myself some cheesy 80's prog rock/metal)

I saw them play this straight through live, followed by Mindrcrime II, which was completely unmemorable.  The original was tons of fun and I like most of the songs off of it.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #78 on: 08 Sep 2009, 18:32 »

Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Invammocon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #79 on: 08 Sep 2009, 21:30 »

Space Crackers by Clawjob. I'm not sure if it's a concept album. It feels more like a soundtrack to a musical than anything but it tells a story and all so I guess it counts.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #80 on: 10 Sep 2009, 06:56 »

[...] Skyclad - The Answer Machine? [...]

Concept album? However do you mean?

Also Mindcrime and 7th son of a 7th son basically were my youth.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2009, 07:02 by BeoPuppy »
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

theoryC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #81 on: 10 Sep 2009, 10:17 »

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute is my favorite fully fledged concept album.  The are a few coneptish albums I like a little better, but nothing goes all out like Frances.

Touch Me Im Sick

• Street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm
« Reply #82 on: 10 Sep 2009, 11:26 »

"The Wall" - Pink Floyd
"Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" - Smashing Pumpkins
"Discovery" - Daft Punk
"Zen Arcade" - Hüsker Dü
"Computerworld" - Kraftwerk
"In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" - Neutral Milk Hotel

Durin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #83 on: 10 Sep 2009, 13:55 »

"The Wall" by Pink Floyd
"Scenes From a Memory" by Dream Theater
"Fear of a Blank Planet" by Porcupine Tree

Zingoleb

« Reply #84 on: 10 Sep 2009, 19:34 »

I got so worn out on the Wall. All Pink Floyd really, I was obsessed with them for years.

How is Discovery or Mellon Collie a concept album?

Merrick

• Larger than most fish
  • Officially Awesome
« Reply #85 on: 11 Sep 2009, 03:54 »

Gotta be '13 Tales From Urban Bohemia'...
I am in desperate need of a life and common sense.

Quintessentially British.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #86 on: 11 Sep 2009, 04:39 »

Concept album? However do you mean?

I don't know, I wrote that four years ago.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #87 on: 11 Sep 2009, 07:07 »

Hmmm.. one "concept album" i like to listen to every now and then is

The Who: Tommy

9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

Zingoleb

« Reply #88 on: 11 Sep 2009, 17:14 »

Did anyone say Blood on the Tracks?

Once you take out that godawful Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts (or whatever it is).

Touch Me Im Sick

• Street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm
« Reply #89 on: 12 Sep 2009, 11:50 »

How did I forget "Chill Out" by The KLF? *facepalm*

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #90 on: 12 Sep 2009, 12:51 »

Did anyone say Blood on the Tracks?

Once you take out that godawful Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts (or whatever it is).

That's only really a quasi-concept album, though.

It's fucking AWESOME though.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #91 on: 12 Sep 2009, 13:53 »

I know few concept albums that I find brilliant... some of those are:

Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea
Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom metal about Moby Dick. The sound of this baby is as huge as a fucking tsunami. An amazing album with well written lyrics [some of them are even taken from the book]

Ahab - The Divinity Of Oceans
This is about The Loss Of The Ship Essex... A really disturbing tale about how the crew got stuck in the sea and even started eating each others. Amazing concept once again.

Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
Really intelligent Grindcore imo. One of the best in the genre by far. The story is sick but goes well with the music. To sum it up... The dude losses his girl in a fire and then he goes to the cementery at takes one of her limbs and get all crazy about it and so on.

Sepultura - Dante XXI
Just like the title says... This is about The Divine Comedy. And that alone is plain awesome

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #92 on: 12 Sep 2009, 15:02 »

Probably Ayreon - The Human Equation or Deltron 3030
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

skydivingninja

• Plantmonster
« Reply #93 on: 13 Sep 2009, 06:13 »

The Who-Tommy
Dream Theater-Scenes from a Memory
Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here
Muse-Absolution
Queensryche-Operation: Mindcrime
Coheed & Cambria-Entire discography (all four albums are about the same concept, I'd feel bad excluding 3 of them).
The Mars Volta-De-Loused

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #94 on: 13 Sep 2009, 08:50 »

"Travels" by Defeater is pretty epic (and depressing, but kinda in a good way) in the concept album stakes.  Especially for a hardcore record, a genre which can be pretty hit or miss when it comes to lyrics, I find.

Alice in Chains' "Dirt" is pretty much wholly about smack and the effects/lifestyle that surround its use.

both Isis' "Oceanic" and Circle Takes the Square's "As the Roots Undo" have had supposed concepts exlained for them by their creators, but I'm fucked if i can follow them myself, especially the latter:

Quote from: Wikipedia, regarding "Oceanic"
A man at the brink of emotional numbness finds a female counterpart who completes him ("The Beginning and the End"). However, he soon finds that she has had a long-term incest relationship ("False Light", "Weight") with her brother ("Hym," "The Other"). This drives him to lose all hope, and he commits suicide through drowning ("from sinking sands, he stepped into light's embrace").

Quote from: Liner Notes of "As the Roots Undo"
In a nutshell the concept behind the songs was to document the different points on a path to self-realization. In our interpretation of this journey, the wanderer ends up essentially in the same place that he or she began, if not humbled and even more overwhelmed. In a sense the ending is somewhat tragic, but without experiencing all of the lows how can anyone ever appreciate the amazing subtleties that this world has to offer? And so, if the search for beauty and understanding is cyclical and unending, then at least we'll never stop experiencing the thrill of the hunt...

Also, I'm sure I read something about Calexico's "Carried to Dust" having a loose concept of sorts, but I can't remember quite what it was, or where I read about it...

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.
« Reply #95 on: 13 Sep 2009, 10:24 »

Surprised nobody has said The Antler's "Hospice". Great album.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #96 on: 13 Sep 2009, 12:15 »

One that's not beenn mentioned yet, of course, is The Who - Tommy, which was an awesome album and I totally forgot about it earlier.

That deaf, dumb, and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball.

I can't believe this thread had to reach second page before this album was mentioned.

This is, if anything, the classic rock opera / concept album.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

ElectricPez

• Not quite a lurker
  • rrrrraaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #97 on: 13 Sep 2009, 13:14 »

The Wall  -- Pink Floyd
Second Stage Turbine Blade -- Coheed and Cambria (though in my opinion, the whole story throughout all four CD's is brilliant)
This Life is Where You Get Fucked -- Rabbit Junk

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #98 on: 13 Sep 2009, 13:41 »

Uhhhh 2 pages and nobody mentioning Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth? For shame!

So yeah:

Nightfall in Middle Earth - Blind Guardian
Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull
Tales From Topographic Oceans - Yes
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #99 on: 13 Sep 2009, 13:53 »

Uhhhh 2 pages and nobody mentioning Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth? For shame!

Except this guy:

Anyways, I actually like a lot of the songs off of Blind Guardian's "Nightfall in Middle-Earth."
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up