THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back-Masked Messages  (Read 4670 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Back-Masked Messages
« on: 15 Aug 2005, 08:10 »

From Wikipedia:

"A backward message (also known as Backmasking) is a supposed message hidden in an audio recording that is only fully apparent when played backwards."

Of course, the classic back-masked message is the one in Stairway to Heaven, but my personal favourite back masked messages are all deliberate:

Pink Floyd - Empty Spaces: "...congratulations. You've just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the funny farm, Chalfont,"

Wierd Al Yankovic - Nature Trail to Hell: "Satan eats Cheez Whiz"

Sisters of Mercy - Vision Thing (Apocalypse now quote): "Only the Americans would build a place like this in middle of the jungle. Only the Americans would want to."

Also, though it's not really back-masking (because it's played forwards) the KMFDM classic 'Sucks', after the lines "KMFDM forwards the ultimate sound, with a message from Satan when you turn it around" has an answering machine message from Satan to Sascha, asking him if he wants to play pool and have some beers sometime.

Also anecdotally, I heard somewhere that Motley Crue once had to delay putting an album out becuse their sound tech quit when they asked him to do some back-masking.

So, bring out your messages, Satanic* or otherwise, real or imagined.

*The only actual Satanic message I know of in any song is in 'As Flittermice As Satans Spys' by Darkthrone, which has a reversed recording of Varg Vikernes saying 'In the name of God, let the churches burn'.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

heretic

Back-Masked Messages
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2005, 08:16 »

pantera-avoid the light. i actually put this on my comp and reversed it. it was a long time ago, but it was something like
"satan's wrath is immenint. his still-born army is the only choice."
i remember "satan's wrath is" something and "his still-born army is" something like only choice

salada

• Curry sauce
Back-Masked Messages
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2005, 08:31 »

(unsurprisingly, this thread has a google ad about satan down the bottom).

boards of canada backmask loads of stuff. we could probably have a whole thread about BoC being creepy (their album geogaddi runs for 66 minutes, 6 seconds, and so on.....)

phrases like "a god with hooves, a god with horns" and "if you go down to the woods today, you better not go alone" (from that teddybears picnic song), as well as quotes from interviews with ex-cult members (stuff about waco, branch davidians, and so on). they really put a lot of effort into their music with stuff like this. use of the doppler effect to alter moods, placement of song elements by mathematics, references to the bible (revelations, esp), and so on.

they're kinda creepy.

Aphi

Back-Masked Messages
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2005, 08:33 »

Oo I'm getting a google ad about "Who moved my cheese?"

WHAT?

EDIT: Thank you, Heretic. I am the stupid sometimes.

heretic

Back-Masked Messages
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2005, 08:38 »

Salada, how do they use the doppler effect to alter moods? what difference does it make using the doppler effect or just changing the pitch to simulate it, if you're just recording the sound?

aph, i've got "who moved my cheese?"

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Back-Masked Messages
« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2005, 08:47 »

My favourite method of masking hidden messages isn't back-masking, but beep-mapping*, a technique I believe Aphex Twin has used as well? My track 'Neurological Clock' is a bit of a double whammy, as it has a long back-masked quote from Focault's Pendulum' by Umberto Eco and a beep-map of a picture of a dissected human brain. The original (sub-demo) version of Empire of the Daleks also had a beep-map of a picture of the original Dalek emperor incorporated into it. I think large-scale use of back-masking etc. only works for certain moods (mainly, indeed, creepy ones).

*I'm using the wrong word for this I know, but it's what the filter I use to do it's called. It's when you generate a seemingly random, often creepy series of sounds by interpreting a picture as a musical score.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

thehoopiestfrood

Back-Masked Messages
« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2005, 12:19 »

Michael by Franz Ferdinand - after the first chorus there's a swooshy noise which is "Call your mother, she's worried about you" backwards.

Quote from: franzferdinand.org
The recording of the album, and 'Michael' in particular took place on Bob's birthday. Being holed up in Sweden, miles from home, makes the meaning obvious...  Bob! Call your mother, she's worried about you!

That's the only one I can think of at the moment, though they've apparently put another backwards message on the new album.

Micolithe

Back-Masked Messages
« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2005, 16:41 »

Isn't it true that if you backmask Juke Joint Jezebel by KMFDM you get a completely new song?
Pages: [1]   Go Up