THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 22:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Most Informative Music Thread Possible  (Read 147361 times)

Garcin

The Most Informative Music Thread Possible
« Reply #100 on: 15 Sep 2005, 17:58 »

PDA is interesting, exciting, has fun lyrics, and its grungy enough to sound overproduced.  It's not the only song like that on Turn on the Bright Lights.  It's toetappin'.  Sure Paul Banks sounds like he doesn't give a shit, he's sort of bored, and he may fall asleep during the song -- but that's his deal.

Not that I'm trying to convince you of anything (or believe that you might be convinced).  I'm just saying -- genuine???  Paul Banks aside . . . the guitarist . . .sounds very committed!

sp2

« Reply #101 on: 15 Sep 2005, 18:03 »

Quote from: Moiche
. . .sounds very committed!

...to making lots of money off of gullible trend-following hipsters.

Merkava

« Reply #102 on: 15 Sep 2005, 19:04 »

Paul Banks...bored? WTF. Mabe all you've heard is Antics because the most interesting thing about the band to me was Banks' extremely emotive voice, which is the case with everything on Turn On the Bright Lights.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #103 on: 15 Sep 2005, 19:35 »

And thus, having escaped the Radiohead pit trap, The Most Informative Music Thread Possible becomes Yet Another Thread With People Bickering About Interpol. Wouldn't want to have a thread in the music forum stay interesting for more than two people for too long, huh?
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #104 on: 15 Sep 2005, 19:40 »

Words that are banned from discussion: Interpol, Coldplay, Radiohead, ANYTHING BRITISH
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #105 on: 15 Sep 2005, 20:01 »

And just so it can't be said that I'm complaining about the turn this thread has taken without trying to do something about it, a completely unrequested artist overview:

Band Name: The Fiery Furnaces

Genre: Oh, jeez. Let's say blues/rock/prog/rock opera/musical theatre/electronic.

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 9

Best Album: Blueberry Boat. This is the subject of much debate. Certainly EP and Gallowsbird's Bark are more accessible, but neither of them tells stories, provides surprises, and demands attention like Blueberry Boat.

Songs:
- Best All Around: Single Again - Here Comes The Summer - Evergreen. Actually, this is the first three songs from EP, but they're medley-seamless; I've joined them into one song in iTunes so I consider them as such at this point. The three songs just showcase the Furnaces' pop sensibilities beautifully; they're the best intro to their music possible and probably one of the best trios of songs I've ever heard.

- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Tropical Ice-Land (EP version) / Asthma Attack / Chris Michaels. In that order. The Fiery Furnaces don't really ever straight up rock out except possibly in concert; neither of their voices lend themselves well to it, and their music tends to be a little too busy for hard rockin'. Still, Tropical Ice-Land and Asthma Attack are both rollicking and relentless, and Chris Michaels is the most rockin' of the rock-opera-esque behemoths on Blueberry Boat.

- Most Relaxing: Tropical Ice-Land (Gallowsbird's Bark version) - Rub-Alcohol Blues. The first two songs of another three-song medley, this one concluding Gallowsbird's Bark. Almost certainly the most subdued two songs of a very raucous band. The third of the medley (We Got Back the Plague) is too edgy to be included here.

- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: I guess they released Single Again as a single?

- Song That Best Represents The Band: Chief Inspector Blancheflower. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways: Sounds like three songs in one; has a section about ADD delivered anti-melodically over a random-sounding synth track; has an adventure-style story concerning a detective; has a story about a domestic love-triangle dispute which may or may not have ended in fratricide.

Bands Like This Band: I have no idea whatsoever. I've certainly not heard anything like them before; some specific songs might be comparable to other bands, and Blueberry Boat is very frequently compared to The Who by both the band and the critics. The band as a whole, though, is very difficult for me to pin down.

Sorry I couldn't pick just one song for most of the categories; there's just too much that I wanted to mention.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #106 on: 17 Sep 2005, 07:18 »

Here Comes The Summer for Best song overall. Yes.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #107 on: 17 Sep 2005, 07:56 »

Thank fuck for that.

Scrolled back to find a requested band but I can't see through all the "no, my opinion about Interpol is more correct than yours!" so I'll just jump on the current bandwagon and do one for a band I want to! Huzzah!

Band Name: Mind.In.A.Box

Genre: Futurepop / Darkwave

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 10.5

Best Album: Dreamweb

Songs:
- Best All Around: Change [from Lost Alone]
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': probably Machine Run [from Dreamweb] although they don't really do "heavy"
- Most Relaxing: Lost Alone 2 [LA]
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: if any, the new single Certainty [DW]
- Song That Best Represents The Band: Light and Dark [LA]

Bands Like This Band: Really, they're pretty different to most futurepop which is why they grabbed my attention, so instead let's call this section...
Bands I Would Recommend If You Enjoy This Band: Syrian, Assemblage 23, NamNamBulu, Neuroticfish (just a few ideas to try out)

Coolest Thing About This Band: See above. A lot of electronic music can sound quite generic to the untrained ear but no one I've heard before has really pulled off such a blend of styles as M.I.A.B. so flawlessly.

Eldirial

« Reply #108 on: 17 Sep 2005, 11:03 »

Ok- if anyone wants to do the Decemberists for me, I would be very happy.

Garcin

Re: The Most Informative Music Thread Possible
« Reply #109 on: 17 Sep 2005, 17:49 »

Band Name: The Decemberists

Genre: Indie pop/Baroque pop

Your Rating Of Them (1-10):10

Best Album: Castaways & Cutouts

Songs:
- Best All Around: The Legionnaire's Lament
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': The Engine Driver
- Most Relaxing: Of Angels and Angles
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: 16 Military Wives
- Song That Best Represents The Band: The Mariner's Revenge Song

Bands Like This Band: Belle & Sebastian; Neutral Milk Hotel; Iron & Wine

Coolest Thing About This Band:Brilliant lyrics tell interesting stories on top of eclectic instrumentation.  Also just plain fun.

Eldirial

« Reply #110 on: 17 Sep 2005, 18:25 »

Thankya for the Decemberists info- They seemed like someone I would like... now I can safely assume I will like them.

sjbrot

« Reply #111 on: 17 Sep 2005, 21:34 »

The Decemberists

Most Over-used Analogy Used to Describe Them: The Nerds of Music High School!

Every time I read something like that, it just seems like lazy reporting to me.

La Creme

« Reply #112 on: 17 Sep 2005, 22:17 »

Quote from: Valrus
Genre: Oh, jeez. Let's say blues/rock/prog/rock opera/musical theatre/electronic.

No no. Their genre is simply Unadulterated Happiness & Joyous Love Of Life. Hurray Fiery Furnaces.[/positive positivity/return to cynical]

Eldirial

« Reply #113 on: 17 Sep 2005, 22:33 »

Quote from: La Creme
Quote from: Valrus

No no. Their genre is simply Unadulterated Happiness & Joyous Love Of Life. Hurray Fiery Furnaces.[/positive positivity/return to cynical]

See... Everyone says they are so great.  I have only heard one song.. I believe it was called Chris Michaels, something like that... and I couldn't really get into the song.

Garcin

« Reply #114 on: 17 Sep 2005, 23:05 »

From my experience with Blueberry Boat, I can't really see how most people (including myself) could really enjoy it by hearing a track at a time.  It really is a concept album, although more about a musical concept than a narrative one.  Also, the music is so varied that I just found baffling the first 2 listens; started to cotton on by the third listen; and by the fifth or sixth I was pretty much hooked on the band.

I can see how you could be nervous about spending all the time for something you might not ultimately like.  If you want a track on Blueberry Boat that will convince you that the effort might be worth it, I would start with Birdie Brain, not Chris Michaels.  Or, like, any other Fiery Furnaces album.

(Jeph pretty much said all of this in an old comic where Marten plays Blueberry Boat for Faye btw ;-) )

Eldirial

« Reply #115 on: 17 Sep 2005, 23:32 »

Yeah- that comic actually made me wonder about them- and I had a feeling it would be something i would have to take as a whole...

I shall have to give this blueberry boat a listen... mayhaps the song you suggest.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #116 on: 17 Sep 2005, 23:57 »

If I had to pick just one song with which to introduce people to the Fiery Furnaces, "Tropical Ice-Land" off of the EP would be it.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Garcin

« Reply #117 on: 18 Sep 2005, 00:11 »

That would work, Evergreen Park would work also.  I thinkt that Tropical-Iceland off of Gallowsbird's Park is even more approachable still. But EP and Gallowsbird Park are way more user-friendly than Blueberry Boat.

Eldirial

Re: The Most Informative Music Thread Possible
« Reply #118 on: 20 Sep 2005, 19:00 »

Quote from: Moiche

- Song That Best Represents The Band: The Mariner's Revenge Song

Thanks for the advice, by the way- and that is an amazingly good song.

practicality

« Reply #119 on: 20 Sep 2005, 21:30 »

EDIT: If anyone can tell me about Folk Implosion or Iron and Wine, it would be appreciated.

If I had to pick just one song with which to introduce people to the Fiery Furnaces, "Tropical Ice-Land" off of the EP would be it.

Agreed. I had Blueberry Boat on my computer first, but when I heard Tropical Ice-Land, I gave a more committed listen to Bluberry.

La Creme

« Reply #120 on: 20 Sep 2005, 21:59 »

Iron & Wine's been done. Check page 1. I think its there.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #121 on: 21 Sep 2005, 15:02 »

Khar, do Bal Sagoth for me, plzkthx. All I know is the lyrics in the Coheed thread and that they dress up and shit. woo!
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #122 on: 21 Sep 2005, 15:36 »

Band Name: Bal-Sagoth

Genre: Very Symphonic Black Metal (not really BM anymore after the first album)

Your Rating Of Them (1-10):

Best Album: Starfire Burning Upon the Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule or Atlantis Ascendant

Songs:

Best All Around: The Dreamer in the Catacombs of Ur
Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Spellcraft and Moonfire or to represent their later/more numerous style As the Vortex Illumines the Crystalline Walls of Kor-Avul-Thaa of Behold, The Armies of War Descend Screaming From the Heavens
Most Relaxing: Hatheg Kla or Crystal Shards.
Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: The Dreamer in the Catacombs of Ur is on a Nuclear Blast sampler disc. So, that.
Song That Best Represents The Band: Hard to choose. Just download a whole album, preferably Starfire... and just listen to the whole thing.

Bands Like This Band:
urrm. Imagine a slightly more keyboard-oriented Rhapsody with a dash of new Satyricon. Kinda.

Coolest Thing About This Band: So over the top that they're in low earth orbit. Absolutely everything about this band oozes excessive geekdom. Writing pretentious vocals is one thing, adopting the stage-name Lord Byron and delivering the lines in a mixture of weak black metal growls and booming Shakespearean spoken word over bombastic keys and guitars whilst wearing chainmail and studded leather body armour with a sword in one hand and a microphone in another is quite another.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #123 on: 21 Sep 2005, 16:10 »

I've been lurking on this board for a few days, but I had to cave in and join for this thread.

Can somebody tell me about Hawkwind? I've seen a couple people with similar musical tastes to me mention them here, but neither I nor my metalhead friend have heard of them.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

dorktwinkle

« Reply #124 on: 21 Sep 2005, 19:42 »

Ok, I'll do my best for the Fall and Les Savy Fav.

Band Name:  The Fall

Genre: What punk would sound like if it was less about music and sung by somebody who could be mistaken for crazy.
Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 9
Best Album: Hex Enduction Hour or This Nation's Saving Grace

Songs:

Best All Around: Totally Wired, How I Wrote Elastic Man
Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Bombast or Spolit Victorian Child
Most Relaxing: Winter?
Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: Totally Wired

Bands Like This Band: Man, I'm not sure...Wire?

Coolest Thing About This Band: Mark E. Smith is absolutely nuts, his lyrics are both extremely intelligent and extremely weird.

Band Name:  Les Savy Fav

Genre: Punk-ish, Dance-y without forgetting the rock.

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 10

Best Album: The Cat and the Cobra, Rome EP

Songs:

Best All Around: Reformat, Je T'aime
Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': The End, Pluto
Most Relaxing: Roadside Memorial, Asleepers Union, One to Three
Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: Who Rocks the Party, Sweat Descends

Bands Like This Band: Gang of Four, Q and Not U, Fugazi
Coolest Thing About This Band: The instruments work really well together, they all fit perfectly in their places and prop each other up.  Tim Harrington's lyrics are divine, IMO.

La Creme

« Reply #125 on: 21 Sep 2005, 20:11 »

Not enough people listen to Oingo Boingo. So...

Band Name: Oingo Boingo

Genre: Very 80's rock. They've been called 'the definitive California new-wave band' and I'm inclined to agree.

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 9.5

Best Album: Only A Lad

Songs:

----Best All Around: Nasty Habits
----Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': No One Lives Forever, maybe? They have some degree of distortion and rocking-ness in just about every song... so yeah.
----Most Relaxing: Stay (not very good though)
----Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: On The Outside <or> Little Girls
----Song That Best Represents The Band: Grey Matter

Bands Like This Band: They are basically a more guitar driven ska-based Devo.

Coolest Thing About This Band: Totally amazing songwriting, pretty good instrument mastery on all fronts, extremely listenable and catchy, but also really unique. Boingo are also one of the more perverted bands on earth, and pull off lyrics about pedophilia, everyone's little dark secrets, and hot sex in the working class with ease.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #126 on: 21 Sep 2005, 22:11 »

Band Name: Hawkwind

Genre: Space Rock

Your Rating Of Them (1-10):

Best Album: Out of the ones I own, Doremi Fasol Latido or Warrior on the Edge of Time, but their discography is unthinkingly vast, you're probably better picking up one of the numerous best-of compilations initially.

Songs:

Best All Around: Impossible choice. Assault and Battery maybe, or Master of the Universe
Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Angels of Death
Most Relaxing: Spiral Galaxy 28948
Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: Silver Machine
Song That Best Represents The Band: Master of the Universe

Bands Like This Band:
Pink Fairies, Star One, old Pink Floyd (Hawkwind were always heavier though), Beggars Farm, some later Ewigkeit.

Coolest Thing About This Band: They're the Masters of the goddamn Universe! 100+ releases (easily), touring almost constantly since the sixties, musical collaborations with Michael Moorcock, once featured Lemmy on bass, lavish prog rock stage shows before anyone knew what prog rock was, countless extended live versions of almost every song...just a great band. I really do recommend you try downloading/buying at least an album or compilation to sample them. They may take some getting into simply as the production on almost all their stuff is revolting by todays standards. Great band though. Damned crucial especially if you're one of these disreputable fellows who takes drugs to music, but I'd hardly describe them as most peoples idea of a stoner band.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #127 on: 21 Sep 2005, 22:14 »

Awesome, thanks. Now all I need is for someone to request a definition for Dream Theater and I will be all over it.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #128 on: 22 Sep 2005, 04:09 »

About Oingo Boingo; I'd assume that their most played song was "DEAD MAN'S PARTY", but that's jsut because I hear it alot.

Edit: Thanks Khar!

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #129 on: 22 Sep 2005, 18:43 »

No, nobody asked for this one, but I don't care because anyone who listens to anything that can be vaguely defined as "heavy" needs to know who they are and have at least 2 albums.  I hope I don't get attacked for putting it up unsolicited.

Band Name: Kyuss

Genre: Stoner/Desert Rock

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 10

Best Album: It's really a tie between Blues For the Red Sun and Welcome to Sky Valley.  The former is a bit rawer and heavier, the latter more filled-out and intricate.  But both are masterpieces.  Their other two albums are great too, but not quite on the same level.

Songs:

Best All Around: "Fatso Forgetso," I'd say.  Problem is, it wasn't released as an album track and was instead released on a 6-track split CD with their descendents Queens of the Stone Age.  You'll have to download it.
Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': In terms of pure monolithic weight, I think "Molten Universe" takes the prize, but the 11-minute, 4-movement sonic barrage that is "Spaceship Landing" probably rocks out more than any song ever.
Most Relaxing: Either "Phototropic" or "Space Cadet."
Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: "Demon Cleaner," "Green Machine"
Song That Best Represents The Band: I'd say either "50 Million Year Trip" or "Whitewater," both absolute masterpieces in their own right.

Bands Like This Band: Nobody ever really got a similar sound.  Their earliest (and least amazing) stuff, off the album "Wretch," sounds like Sabbath, but then their producer changed and their later stuff is pretty unique.  I don't think anyone ever got a sound as fat as Kyuss's.

Coolest Thing About This Band: They were pure DIY-ers.  They started by listening to Black Flag and other punk-y stuff, and just went their own direction by tuning the guitars down and playing through bass amps.  They got their start in high school playing nighttime generator parties in the SoCal desert, and had an album out before they were 20.  They opened for Metallica when Metallica were at their prime, and blew them off the stage every night.  At the time "Sky Valley" was released they were the best band in the world.  They effectively founded a genre by themselves.  Convinced yet?
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

sjbrot

« Reply #130 on: 22 Sep 2005, 19:57 »

Nobody asked for Kyuss, but I was subconsciously wanting it.

Thumbs up to onewheelwizzard.

La Creme

« Reply #131 on: 22 Sep 2005, 20:35 »

Quote from: Kai
About Oingo Boingo; I'd assume that their most played song was "DEAD MAN'S PARTY", but that's jsut because I hear it alot.

Your right I guess. But a lot of people have heard or heard of Little Girls, as it is a big part of 80's pop-culture.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #132 on: 23 Sep 2005, 04:45 »

PEDOPHELIA

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #133 on: 23 Sep 2005, 16:25 »

Which, too, was a big part of the 1980's.

sp2

« Reply #134 on: 23 Sep 2005, 17:07 »

I was pretty sure Michael Jackson didn't reveal himself as an alien zombie until the early 90s.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #135 on: 23 Sep 2005, 20:31 »

This may make me weird, but I'm only very slightly familiar with the Mars Volta, as I tend to go out of my way to avoid MTV and pop radio. I wouldn't normally bother asking, but one of their songs came on the radio at my work (I wasn't paying a tremendous amount of attention to it), and one of my coworkers asked me if I liked them. When I told her that I had never heard of them, she looked at me like I had sprouted a second head.

Soidanae

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #136 on: 23 Sep 2005, 20:59 »

I wouldn't mind if Bal-Sagoth and Amorphis were done.

As well as Kinky Friedman.  I think that's the spelling.
I believe these are the days of lasers in the jungle, lasers in the jungle somewhere.  Staccato signals of constant information, a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires, and baby, these are the days of miracles and wonders.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #137 on: 23 Sep 2005, 22:06 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
This may make me weird, but I'm only very slightly familiar with the Mars Volta, as I tend to go out of my way to avoid MTV and pop radio. I wouldn't normally bother asking, but one of their songs came on the radio at my work (I wasn't paying a tremendous amount of attention to it), and one of my coworkers asked me if I liked them. When I told her that I had never heard of them, she looked at me like I had sprouted a second head.

The Mars Volta on the radio? You must live on a different planet than me.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #138 on: 23 Sep 2005, 22:48 »

We get satellite radio at my work. And like I said, I had no idea who it was, and I was hardly even listening to it in the first place.

practicality

« Reply #139 on: 23 Sep 2005, 22:57 »

Aerosmith, anyone?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #140 on: 24 Sep 2005, 05:15 »

Quote from: Soidanae
I wouldn't mind if Bal-Sagoth and Amorphis were done.

I did Bal-Sagoth earlier on this page.

As for Amorphis:

Band Name: Amorphis

Genre:
Death Metal (Karelian Isthmus), Folk/Doomdeath (Tales From the Thousand Lakes), Folk/prog metal (Elegy/My Kantele), prog rock with folk, goth and metal touches (Tuonela onwards).

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 1st sound: 7. 2nd sound: 10. third sound: 9. fourth sound : 6

Best Album:
Many say Elegy, but imo Tales From the Thousand Lakes is simply indispensable.

Songs:

Best All Around: Drowned Maid
Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Excursing From Existence
Most Relaxing: Thousand Lakes
Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: I suspect they get some radio play in Finland, but I have no idea what songs.
Song That Best Represents The Band: Weeper on the Shore or Black Winter Day

Bands Like This Band: Agalloch, Opeth, Tiamat, Trio Niskalaukalaus, depending largely on what sound you mean.

Coolest Thing About This Band:
The coolest thing about this band is definitely not that they sold out, but they're innovative, arse-kicking mid nineties albums. Also the video to 'Black Winter Day'.

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #141 on: 24 Sep 2005, 05:30 »

There is always "The Widow." Or, you know, the first three minutes of it.

Merkava

« Reply #142 on: 24 Sep 2005, 09:15 »

Yeah, before it breaks down into usless electronica wankery.

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #143 on: 24 Sep 2005, 10:25 »

Um, yeah, that.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #144 on: 24 Sep 2005, 12:10 »

I will do one for danish mainstreamers Kashmir too just for kicks, they have David Bowie and Lou Reed singing/recitating on their new album "No Balance Palace" so I thought they may seem interesting.

Band Name: Kashmir

Genre: alt. Rock for most part, they were groovy but now they are more mellow and they have a thing for Pink Floyd.

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 8

Best Album: you can effectively seperate their career into two periods:
the humorous/slighly perverse period: Cruzential
the more mature period: The Good Life

Songs:

Best All Around:
humorous era: Vote for Dick Taid
mature era: Lampshade
Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Kiss Me Goodbye
Most Relaxing: Bodmin Piil or New Years Eve
Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: none outside northern Europe I suspect, but if you have then Rocket Brothers or Graceland
Song That Best Represents The Band: Again it depends but on newer albums it might be Rocket Brothers.

Bands Like This Band: Well they are always accused of being Radiohead ripoffs which I think is bullshit. If I had to say anything I would say that they are inspired by bands like Pink Floyd but maybe are akin to bands like Elbow and even Radiohead.  

Coolest Thing About This Band: they have it all, both groovy manical rockers with rappish vocals and bleeding rock melancholy. Essentially it's their distinctive change in sound that makes them interesting and I like the fact that I can listen to them both for giggles and sobbing. While I admit they are not the best band ever, they have a place in my brain :)

sp2

« Reply #145 on: 24 Sep 2005, 17:41 »

Sure, why not....

Band Name: The Mars Volta

Genre: Salsaprog/progcore

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 9 (but acquired taste)

Best Album: Deloused in the Comatorium

Songs:

Best All Around: Concertina
Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Plague Upon Your Hissings or Cut That City
Most Relaxing: The Widow, Televators
Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: The Widow, Televators
Song That Best Represents The Band: Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt

Bands Like This Band: Pink Floyd on crack, Les Savy Fav on shrooms, At the Drive In off the deep end

Coolest Thing About This Band: the afros

Luke

« Reply #146 on: 24 Sep 2005, 19:42 »

Band Name: Aerosmith

Genre: classic rock

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 10 (no, seriously)

Best Album: It's debatable that this counts as an album, but I'd recommend going for the "Oh, Yeah!" 2-disc Greatest Hits album. If not, then the runner-up is Big Ones.

Songs:
      - Best All Around: Love in an Elevator
      - Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Dude (Looks Like a Lady)
      - Most Relaxing: Sweet Emotion, although it still has a in-laden kick to it
      - Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: Walk This Way
      - Song That Best Represents The Band: Same Old Song and Dance

Bands Like This Band: hard to say. Here, you've got the catchiness of Bon Jovi, the genre of Guns N' Roses, and the beat of, oh, Iron Maiden perhaps.

Coolest Thing About This Band: they're pure classic rock. If you need some of that, then you can pick up an album by these guys and you're guaranteed.[/quote]

Coonstar

« Reply #147 on: 25 Sep 2005, 02:13 »

Hey folks. Can someone do me Echo and the Bunnymen? I only really know Ocean Rain but man, it's a great album but I don't know what other stuff of theirs to check.

patch

« Reply #148 on: 25 Sep 2005, 08:33 »

ill join here

Band Name: Yello

Genre: 80s electronica

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 4

Best Album: solid pleasure

Songs:
- Best All Around: oh yeah
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': also oh yeah
- Most Relaxing:jingle bells
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: oh yeah from ferris buelers day off AND duffman
- Song That Best Represents The Band: 'the race'

Bands Like This Band: oingo boingo,

Coolest Thing About This Band: this band made the sexiest song ever, and then remixed it for christmas.

im sorry i didnt take this seriously enough.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #149 on: 25 Sep 2005, 08:39 »

Quote from: Kai
Words that are banned from discussion: Interpol, Coldplay, Radiohead, ANYTHING BRITISH

So I'm not entitled to post, then?
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up