THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 17:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Most Informative Music Thread Possible  (Read 147346 times)

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
The Most Informative Music Thread Possible
« Reply #50 on: 17 Aug 2005, 01:13 »

No one has requested it but I'm a huge fan so I thought I would do AFI
Band Name:AFI (A Fire Inside)

Genre:Earlier: Hardcore Punk, Newer:Punk/Rock

Your Rating Of Them (1-10):9.5

Best Album:Earlier:Answer That and Stay Fashionable, Newer: Sing the Sorrow

Songs:
- Best All Around: This Celluloid Dream
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Dancing Through Sunday
- Most Relaxing:Silver and Cold
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: Girls Not Grey
- Song That Best Represents The Band: Days of the Phoenix

Bands Like This Band: There aren't really any... The Misfits on occasion, The Offspring covered one of their songs, Total Immortal. I don't really know of any bands that sound like them.

Coolest Thing About This Band: They've had an amazing progression through their albums and their sound has kept evolving. Each album presents an interesting message or story. Plus their guitar lines are really fun to play.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #51 on: 17 Aug 2005, 05:11 »

Me and the above poster used the same flash prog to make our avatars, but I'm actually niether Hitler, nor yaoi. (th' name is Uh-Oh! Yaoi Hitler, still.)

Quote from: KharBevNor
Whilst Opeth are a pretty cool band, they are horribly over-rated. Almost every kid that raves about them has never heard Edge of Sanity, Amorphis or Agalloch, or any of the classic progressive acts that influence them, and thus view Opeth as something incredibly unique and zomgincredible, when in fact they aren't really.

This is very close to what I guessed it'd be like. Opeth has the same nebulous feel about it that the Nymphetimine album does, that it's just popular enough for people to hear them, but the people don't bother to go any further than that.
also israel

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #52 on: 17 Aug 2005, 07:07 »

I'm not saying that Opeth are worthless, just that you might want to pick up Edge of Sanity's 'Crimson' or 'Purgatory Afterglow', Agalloch's 'Pale Folklore' or Amorphis 'Tales From the Thousand Lakes' or 'Elegy' (Elegy sounds most like Opeth, but Tales... is better) and kind of put it in context. None sounds exactly like Opeth, they do actually have some originality, or I wouldn't have given them 7.5.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
« Reply #53 on: 17 Aug 2005, 07:12 »

Quote from: Gryff
I would like to see someone attempt The Fall. Good luck!

if my roommate posted on this board, I'm sure he would oblige. he loves that band.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

Not An Addict

« Reply #54 on: 17 Aug 2005, 08:23 »

Quote from: Mr Blue Sky
it's a damn good album if you prefer the heavier Garbage like I do.

Right then, a Garbage analysis that does acknowledge the lastest album.

Band Name: Garbage

Genre: Pop/Rock

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 9

Best Album: Version 2.0. Not just my personal opinion here, either - it's the most accomplished album in terms of songwriting and overall consistency. Each track has something to offer.

Songs:
Best All Around: "Push It" is their peak for me, but everyone remembers "Stupid Girl", and they're both great. So...a tie.
Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': "Why Do You Love Me" is four minutes of pure frantic rock, unexpected from this band.
Most Relaxing: "Milk". Good melody and relaxing trip-hop groove.
Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: "Stupid Girl", "Special"
Song That Best Represents The Band: "Queer". Pop with an edge.

Bands Like This Band: Curve, Elastica, Lush, Sneaker Pimps, the Chemical Brothers, Republica

Coolest Thing About This Band: They just write good songs. They're rock with a polish, which some people scoff at but which I love. They're radio-friendly without being bland. They can rock just as well as they can chill. They're not afraid to mix up their formula with electronic, grunge, and trip-hop elements. And they wrote "Queer".

La Creme

« Reply #55 on: 17 Aug 2005, 09:27 »

Where is the Godspeed You! Black Emperor.....

@Kai: The closest thing the Beefheart is definitly a guy named Chuck E. Weiss (who's a close friend of and highly inspired by Dr. John and Tom Waits). If you can find any bootleg live stuff of Chuck E. Weiss and the Goddamn Liars, you'll see what I'm saying. Check out a song of his called "Do You Know What I Idi Amin".

Coonstar

« Reply #56 on: 18 Aug 2005, 00:18 »

Quote from: Not An Addict
Quote from: Mr Blue Sky
it's a damn good album if you prefer the heavier Garbage like I do.

Right then, a Garbage analysis that does acknowledge the lastest album.

Yeah, for anyone who's thinking of checking out Garbage, as you can see, some folks definitely vary in their opinions about the last two albums. I'm one of those strange fans that got all disillusioned and heartbroken when Bleed Like Me got released, so, I agree- check out Version 2.0. Everything on it is overall pretty stinking good.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #57 on: 18 Aug 2005, 01:59 »

I would do GY!BE but frankly I've only heard one (totally ace) album.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #58 on: 18 Aug 2005, 16:06 »

Quote from: La Creme
@Kai: The closest thing the Beefheart is definitly a guy named Chuck E. Weiss (who's a close friend of and highly inspired by Dr. John and Tom Waits). If you can find any bootleg live stuff of Chuck E. Weiss and the Goddamn Liars, you'll see what I'm saying. Check out a song of his called "Do You Know What I Idi Amin".

Finding bootlegs is easily no problem, thanks for the reccomendation.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #59 on: 19 Aug 2005, 23:47 »

Normally I don't resurrect dead threads, but seriously, this thread needs to stay active. Could someone please dissect GY!BE and also maybe tell me about either Slint or My Bloody Valentine?

Kid Modernist

« Reply #60 on: 19 Aug 2005, 23:52 »

Can somebody do Les Savvy Fav for me? I didn't like Inches but a lot of dudes like them in general so maybe I'm missing out.

FOR LA CREME! :)

Band Name: Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Genre: Ambient?

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 8 (Because you have to devote a lot of time, almost all their songs are over the 15 min mark)

Best Album: Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada (IMO), alot of people go for "f#a# (infinity symbol)"

Songs:
- Best All Around: Hung Over as the Queen in Maida Vale
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls (?)
- Most Relaxing: Moya
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: East Hastings (According to LastFM at least).
- Song That Best Represents The Band: Hung Over as Etc.

Bands Like This Band: A Silver Mount Zion (some members), Mogwai and the like, at a stretch.

Coolest Thing About This Band: A song starts out moody and slow and you don't know where it's going, and it slowly builds up, until (for me) eventually you find yourself doing nothing but paying attention to the song. And when it climaxes it's magic, and when the song ends you feel like you went through an ordeal. It's sex, yo.

For Johnny C:

Band Name: My Bloody Valentine

Genre: Shoegaze Pop, Indie, Wall of Sound

Best Album: Loveless (Universally most popular)

Songs:
- Best All Around:  Soon
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Come in Alone
- Most Relaxing: Sometimes
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: Sometimes (It's on the Lost in Translation soundtrack
- Song That Best Represents The Band: I Only Said

Bands Like This Band: The Jesus and Mary Chain, some Sonic Youth

Coolest Thing About This Band: It's got a warm wall of sound almost constantly in the background, but you can still hear low-key sounds, accoustic guitars. Calming vocals make you feel like you are floating around, if you let yourself do that sort of thing. Really catchy, really calming, and just really well put together in my opinion

Also for Johnny C: For me, I'd go with Surfer Rosa for the best Pixies album.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #61 on: 20 Aug 2005, 01:41 »

Can ye do Sopor Aeternus for me, Khar?
also israel

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #62 on: 20 Aug 2005, 01:53 »

Band Name: Sopor Aeternus (and the Ensemble of Shadows)

Genre: Dramatic Darkwave

Your Rating Of Them (1-10):

Best Album: Dead Lovers Sarabande (faces 1 & 2)

Songs:
Best All Around: Hades Pluton
Most Relaxing: May I Kiss Your Wound?
Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: None. SA doesn't even do videos, at least not to my knowledge.
Song That Best Represents The Band: Todeswunch

Bands Like This Band: Nothing really...Imagine Lacrimosa meeting Patrick Wolf in a bar run by old-school Theatre of Tragedy.

Coolest Thing About This Band:
Where do I start? Sopor Aeternus is basically a mash up of darkwave, chamber music, folk and synth, with a good dash of performance art thrown in for good measure, all performed by a very, very psychotically depressed pre-op German transexual. Sopor Aeternus is oneof the most dramatic bands I've ever heard, but once you can get past the sheer over-the topness they are incredibly deep. Listening to Sopor Aeternus is like getting inside Anna-Varneys head. And it's not a very normal or happy place.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #63 on: 20 Aug 2005, 02:14 »

huuh.
also israel

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #64 on: 20 Aug 2005, 02:15 »

Don't think you'd like 'em tbh.

They do have an odd appeal though.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #65 on: 20 Aug 2005, 02:22 »

I don't think I would, but I'll be sure to recommend them.
also israel

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #66 on: 20 Aug 2005, 02:30 »

They're an essential band for anyone who considers themselves gother than thou in the good old sense of the word.

Also, they can do the old vampire angst cliche better than Cradle of Filth. But then again, so can a lot of people.

La Creme

« Reply #67 on: 20 Aug 2005, 13:01 »

Kid Modernist rocks my socks.

Thanks man.

Because I'm in such a grand mood, I'll try to turn some people on to power jazz, because it is the greatest (or at least one of the greatest) genres of music out there.

Band Name: The Bad Plus

Genre: Power Jazz / Power Trio

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 10

Best Album: Both are amazing, "Give" and "These Are The Vistas". Give has better covers. These Are The Vistas has better originals.

Songs:
Best All Around: Rhinocerous Is My Profession (only findable as live bootleg, but they've said they're going to put one of the live cuts on their next cd...)
Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': "Iron Man" (more furious than the original, and it's done on just a piano, drums, and a stand-up bass.)
Most Relaxing: "Silence Is The Question" (a gradual crescendo to awesomeness)
Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: They play "1972 Bronze Metalist" a lot on jazz stations that play more modern stuff.
Song That Best Represents The Band: "Big Eater"

Bands Like This Band: Medeski, Martin, And Wood (they started power jazz, but they blow ass at their own genre...), Ornette Coleman (main jazz influence), and Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey (essentially, they're the Bad Plus but electric)

Coolest Thing About This Band: They are brilliant musicians, they're all totally insane, and they write amazing songs. If their current tour hits your town, go. And if you've got sensitive ears, bring some earplugs because it is the loudest jazz show you will ever go to.

http://thebadplus.com/ (Scroll to the bottom and check the tour dates. Seriously. Do it.)

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #68 on: 20 Aug 2005, 13:17 »

Quote from: Kid Modernist
For Johnny C:

Band Name: My Bloody Valentine

Thanks muchly!

Quote from: Kid Modernist also
I'd go with Surfer Rosa for the best Pixies album.

See, Surfer Rosa's very solid too, plus I own it and I don't own Doolittle. It was a tough choice!

Kid Modernist

« Reply #69 on: 21 Aug 2005, 15:29 »

Alright, I really got one I hope someone does for me: The Olivia Tremor Control.

I really dig Elephan 6, so I will probably like it, but for some reason I can't get myself to jump in.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #70 on: 05 Sep 2005, 15:08 »

I have a request for Of Montreal. Could someone please do it for me, along with a more detailed written description of their music (referencing similar bands would certainly help).
They're touring my area soon and I've heard the name way too often yet I have no idea what they sound like. If someone could help me there, it would be greatly appreciated.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #71 on: 11 Sep 2005, 19:28 »

Band name: Of Montreal
Genre: Indie pop
Your rating of them (1-10): 9.6
Best album: For their earlier work (and my personal favorite), The Gay Parade.  Out of their newer material, I would say either Satanic Panic in the Attic or The Sunlandic Twins.  I can't really judge yet because I got the latter at their show last night.

Songs:

Best all round: This is really utterly impossible for me to judge.  I would say that their most instantly accessible pop song is "Penelope,"  but my favorite song by them is "Nickee Coco and the Invisible Tree".

Loudest: "Rapture Rapes the Muses"

Most Relaxing: "Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games" (New) or "Dustin Hoffman Does Not Resist Temptation to Eat the Bathtub" (old)

Most played/song by them you might have heard:  "Penelope"?

Song that best represents the band: "Nickee Coco and the Invisible Tree" (old) and "Chrissie Kiss the Corpse" (new)

Bands like this band:  Neutral Milk Hotel, Dressy Bessy, Elf Power, the Marshmallow Coast, Beulah, Olivia Tremor Control, Apples in Stereo

Coolest thing about this band/Hey Nick, ramble on about Of Montreal for a while:  The catalogue of songs that they have built up is remarkably diverse.  Their earlier albums have a fairly innocent storybook feel intertwined with overriding themes of loneliness and isolation, which culminated in The Gay Parade.  That album combines confessional self-observation with absurdist storytelling in a way that I doubt will ever be matched in indie pop.  In their newer material, they've stepped back from having overall concepts tying the songs on the albums together, focusing more on things that are fun to play and listen to (and even dance to!) live.  Some fantastic pop songs have come out of this, and it probably makes them more accessible, but I sort of miss the more bizarre elements that they tend not to bring out as much nowadays.  They are still pretty psychotic, though (in a good way!).
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #72 on: 11 Sep 2005, 19:31 »

Yay! This thread is back!
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Kid Modernist

« Reply #73 on: 11 Sep 2005, 19:57 »

Can someone do the Olivia Tremor Control for me? :)

Jarne

« Reply #74 on: 11 Sep 2005, 20:21 »

Do Make Say Think and 7 Year Rabbit Cycle please.

La Creme

« Reply #75 on: 11 Sep 2005, 21:36 »

The Apples In Stereo.

I like what I've heard but would like to know more.

And for Khar: Skyclad.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #76 on: 12 Sep 2005, 04:12 »

Quote from: nickyandthefuture
Bands like this band:  Neutral Milk Hotel, Dressy Bessy, Elf Power, the Marshmallow Coast, Beulah, Olivia Tremor Control, Apples in Stereo

First of all, thanks a lot.
Then: I lose indie cred. I haven't heard any songs by bands you've listed. ... To the interwebmachine!

Not An Addict

« Reply #77 on: 12 Sep 2005, 07:17 »

Could someone do Interpol? I've heard great things about them but I have no clue where to start.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #78 on: 12 Sep 2005, 09:04 »

Band Name: Interpol

Genre: Post-punk inspired NY rock

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 8

Best Album: Turn on the Bright Lights, their second Antics is a bit weaker.

Songs:
- Best All Around: PDA
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Roland
- Most Relaxing: Leif Erikson or NYC
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: PDA or Slow Hands
- Song That Best Represents The Band: Again, I would say PDA

Bands Like This Band: Honestly I can really name anyone, not to say that they are unique though.

Coolest Thing About This Band: Their hypnotic interplay, especially the guitars and their lyrics(when they are good, which they aren't always)

And I will do Under Byen just to whore them a bit more:

Band name: Under Byen(Below the City)

Genre: ethereal mix of classical and folk, a kind of fusion I suppose.

Your Rating of them (1-10): 10

Best Album: their second album Det er Mig der Holder Træerne Sammen is more realised and thus the "best"

Songs:
- Best All Around: Legesag
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': they don't really rock, but maybe Det er Mig Der Holder Træerne Sammen
- Most Relaxing: Byen Driver or Kyst
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: none, they are quite obscure, even if David Fricke has whored them, might have heard their collaborations with Giant Sand's Howe Gelb though, on the Listener especially.
- Song That Best Represents the band: Om Vinteren

Bands Like This Band: Hedningarna perhaps or Sorten Muld without the electronica.

Coolest Thing About This Band: Everything! They are for me what Skyclad is for Khar, incapable of doing anything other than genius.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #79 on: 12 Sep 2005, 10:37 »

Band name: Skyclad
Genre:Avant-Garde Thrash/Folk Metal
Your rating of them (1-10): With Martin Walkyier: 10. With Kevin Riddle: 8
Best album: 'Folkemon' or 'The Answer Machine?'

Songs:

Best all round: 'The One Piece Puzzle'

Loudest: 'Desperanto (A Song For Europe?)', 'Our Dying Island' or 'Ten Little Kingdoms'.

Most Relaxing: 'Bombed Out', 'Ring Stone Round' or 'Postcard From Planet Earth'

Most played/song by them you might have heard: Their last single was 'Swords of a Thousand Men', but really, unless I've foisted some on you, it's doubtless you'll ever have heard them: Tommy Vance gave them some airplay on occasion back in the early nineties, but that's about it.

Song that best represents the band: They actually wrote a specific one, which is nice: 'Any Old Irony?'

Bands like this band: Mago De Oz, Cruachan (a bit), Elvenking, Wuthering Heights (a bit). They're fairly unique though.

Coolest thing about this band:
I think mainly the fact that they're the best band in the world. Ok, let me justify that. During their peak of awesomeness, which is most of the nineties, with the ups and downs you'd expect from any band (Vintage Whine had really tinny production for example), Skyclad are a combination of a) great instrumental work, mainly from Dan Ramsay on the guitar and the nigh-incomparable Georgina Biddle on the violin b) lyrical genius c) avant-garde genre mixing. Skyclad's initial folk-based thrash evolves to incorporate disparate elements of punk and seventies rock, with dashes of electronic and symphonic twiddles, as well as all sorts of unusual instruments, including xylophones, trumpets, hunting horns and bagpipes. For me, what really makes Skyclad though is the uniqueness of their collective emphasis and vision. Not just their extremely serious initial idea of making, basically, environmentalist protest metal, somewhat in the vein of late Running Wild, but all the digressions they go on about the way. From a trapped alien explorer sending his impressions of Earth to an impossibly distant lover (Postcard From Planet Earth), to a child vampire who preys on child molestors (Catherine At The Wheel), to a vision of hell as a scummy pub full of dead dictators and mass murderers who are later turned into a grotesque caricature of ourselves (The Sinful Ensemble) to a song in which the plight of environmentalists becomes a physical battle, with the armies of the forest clashing with 'the forces of progress' riding bulldozers (The Disenchanted Forest), to Martin's list of what he would do and to whom when appointed king of the world (On With Their Heads!) and the tale of Norman Normal, who sells his soul to the devil for rock and roll riches then descends to hell with the cry 'I'll Party on in Acheron!' (Great Blow For a Day Job). It's a wild, wierd, brilliantly black and sarcastic take on the world, equally critical of science, religion and the human race, but scarce lacking the faintest, or often not so faint hint of a wry grin, which adds colour to even the angriest and bitterest of diatribes. To top this, they're the most under-rated band in history. Ever.

Kid Modernist

« Reply #80 on: 12 Sep 2005, 12:33 »

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum

Band Name: Interpol

Bands Like This Band: Honestly I can really name anyone, not to say that they are unique though.

Joy Division.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #81 on: 12 Sep 2005, 12:47 »

no, not really, Joy Division is all stripped down while Interpol is a lot more intricate musicwise. I really can't understand the comparison, for me they are nothing alike. Curtis is also a lot more brooding and depressive than Banks is if you ask me.

Kid Modernist

« Reply #82 on: 12 Sep 2005, 13:00 »

Well, of course they aren't the same band, but Interpol definitely owes a debt to JD.

Tell me that the first 30 seconds of Transmission couldn't be an Interpol song. :)

ASturge

« Reply #83 on: 12 Sep 2005, 13:05 »

Band Name: Olivia Tremor Control
Genre: Experimental 60s inflenced Psycadelia

Best Album: Music From an Unrealized Film Script: A Dusk at Cubist Castle

Songs:
- Best All Around: Green Typewriters
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': er...The Opera House
- Most Relaxing: A Peculiar Noise Called Train Director
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: er.... The Opera House
- Song That Best Represents The Band: Hideaway

Bands Like This Band: Of Montreal, Apples in Stereo [E6....] .....er... maybe the Beatles

Coolest Thing About This Band: They manage to find  a sense of calm, despite having all fucking hell breaking loose all around them.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #84 on: 12 Sep 2005, 14:26 »

no, not really, Joy Division is all stripped down while Interpol is a lot more intricate musicwise. I really can't understand the comparison, for me they are nothing alike. Curtis is also a lot more brooding and depressive than Banks is if you ask me.

And Interpol is really boring.

Brokenface

« Reply #85 on: 12 Sep 2005, 16:52 »

At JohnnyC's behest, I give you...

Band Name: Slint

Genre: Some people call them math-rock.  Would you call early post-rock pre-post-rock??

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): Twenty billion, at least.

Best Album: Has to be Spiderland.

Songs:
- Best All Around:
Nosferatu Man
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': As with most post-rock bands, half a dozen songs could be their loudest; but only for the thirty seconds it spends climaxing.
- Most Relaxing: See answer above.
- A song by them you may have heard: I think that if you've heard one of these songs then you've heard them all, but for the sake of completion I'll say Breadcrumb Trail.
- Song That Best Represents The Band: Breadcrumb Trail or Good Morning Captain

Bands Like This Band: Mogwai, Tortoise.  Bands like Low and Codeine share some traits, but I don't know if I'd include them on this list.

Coolest Thing About This Band: They are important parts of musical history, yo!  Also, listening to Slint makes me afraid of the dark.

Merkava

« Reply #86 on: 12 Sep 2005, 18:54 »

I agree. I think if you had to compare them to a past post-punk band, I would say Clinic would be a much better match.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #87 on: 12 Sep 2005, 19:09 »

REGARDING INTERPOL:

Comparing Interpol to Joy Division is like starting a blog and not using capital letters or proper punctuation ever. It's been done to death, and nobody's going to nod their head and say "yeah, good job." The similarities are there, but they're like different ends of a spectrum; Joy Division is the more jittery, kind of unhinged side, while Interpol's more taut and reserved.

I'm kind of a huge Interpol fanboy. Sorry if you don't like them, perhaps you would enjoy starting a blog about it, etc.

Oh, "Slow Hands" wins for "most rockin'," eye emm oh. And I think "Evil" wins for best song by a fair margin.

Thanks for the stuff on Slint; I've heard British Sea Power's first album sounded a bit like 'em. I'll check this stuff out.

EDIT: Clinic? Clinic? Please explain!

Kid Modernist

« Reply #88 on: 12 Sep 2005, 20:04 »

Relax, I wasn't saying I didn't like Interpol, I do. I was just saying that Joy Division sounds at least mentionably like them. He said he couldn't think of any so I gave him something that does.

Please don't fall back on the "You disagree with me so I'm going to to throw away your whole argument with a pithy reply" a la "Get a blog." It's cool if you disagree, it's all you have to say.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #89 on: 12 Sep 2005, 21:25 »

No problem, and it wasn't meant in a negative manner (that bit was actually directed towards Kai, thanks for the pithy comment bud!). Since it was obviously taken that way, I apologize for my choice of wording and the fact that it appeared to be directed at yourself.

I just, you know, wish more people would acknowledge Interpol's connections to Echo & The Bunnymen, The Chameleons and The Afghan Whigs as much as they did to Joy Division. Sigh.

Frosty

« Reply #90 on: 12 Sep 2005, 21:55 »

Since no one's done Sufjan yet, I'll take it.

Band Name: Sufjan Stevens and the Illinoisemakers (currently. They were the Michigan Militia while touring Michigan)

Genre: Indie-folk

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 9.3

Best Album: Illinois. Easily. (Seven Swans is closest after that)

Songs:
- Best All Around: Tough call, because they're all worthy. I'm fond of The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out To Get Us!
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': um...The Man Of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts? If you're looking for rock, this really isn't it.
- Most Relaxing: All The Trees Of The Field Will Clap Their Hands
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: probably Chicago. It was floating around a while before Illinois hit the stands.
- Song That Best Represents The Band: Come On Feel The Illinoise!

Bands Like This Band: Nothing comes to mind. You might compare his songwriting style to other "storytellers," but the music is something else.

Coolest Thing About This Band: Arrangements. Songs are put together with the most unlikely of instruments; trumpets, glockenspiels, oboes, string quartets, banjo...nothing is off limits, and the way it fits together is a little unsettling at first, but once you wrap your brain around it, there's nothing like it.

Kid Modernist

« Reply #91 on: 12 Sep 2005, 22:01 »

Quote from: Johnny C

I just, you know, wish more people would acknowledge Interpol's connections to Echo & The Bunnymen, The Chameleons and The Afghan Whigs as much as they did to Joy Division. Sigh.

Okay, coo'. What do you think about connections to maybe The Cure or Ride?

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #92 on: 12 Sep 2005, 23:38 »

The only less great thing about Sufjan Stevens, is his excess(Illinois is too long in my opinion) but it seems to be a curse of really good bands. Take Songs for the Deaf for example, cut away a few of the "only" solid tracks and you have a perfect rockalbum.

sp2

« Reply #93 on: 13 Sep 2005, 13:38 »

Quote from: Kai

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the difference between Interpol and Joy Division.

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #94 on: 13 Sep 2005, 16:38 »

Band Name: Flogging Molly

Genre: hmmm, Irish Bar Rock, almost? I honestly cannot classify them.

Best Album: Drunken Lullabies

Songs:
- Best All Around: Kilburn High road
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Devils dance floor
- Most Relaxing: Far away boys.  It is so sad, but still fun to listen to.
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: Salty dog
- Song That Best Represents The Band: Sentimental Johnny. It doesn't actually sound like anything else they have done, but it helps to show the range in style that their albumns traverse.

Bands Like This Band: Many people have compared them to the Pogues, but I cannot say it does them (FM) justice, they are much more of a full sound, louder.

Coolest Thing About This Band: The range of their songs, they can do rock, they do ballads, they do spoken word, punk, and folk.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #95 on: 13 Sep 2005, 17:01 »

Quote from: Kid Modernist
Okay, coo'. What do you think about connections to maybe The Cure or Ride?

Their use of atmospherics and tone do owe something to The Cure, certainly. I'm unfamiliar with Ride; feel like doing a fact-sheet on them?

For Sufjan, I would have gone with "Variations On A Single Note" or whatever for the most relaxing song, because it reminds me of the relaxing music they use in Simcity.

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
« Reply #96 on: 15 Sep 2005, 09:44 »

Anyone heard of Sleeper? They're American (I think) and they've got a woman singer. I've heard a sum total of one of their songs and it was marvellous.

It was called Inbetweener.
Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #97 on: 15 Sep 2005, 10:48 »

I'll give a shot on Ride.

Band Name: Ride

Genre: Shoegaze; Dreampop

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 9.5

Best Album: Nowhere is the album to own, without a doubt

Songs:
-Best All Around: Kaleidoscope
-Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': They're not really a "hard rockin'" band, but I guess "Leave Them All Behind" is pretty noisy and fast paced.
-Most Relaxing: In a different place
-Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: Vapour Trail
-Song That Best Represents The Band: Seagull

Bands Like This Band: My Bloody Valentine, The Stone Roses

Coolest Thing About This Band: They used the "wall of sound" technique but managed to incorporate some serious melodies and multi-layered harmonies into it.    Really nice.

Merkava

« Reply #98 on: 15 Sep 2005, 12:12 »

Quote from: sp2
Quote from: Kai

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the difference between Interpol and Joy Division.

HEY GUES LETS EGNORR JON C POST DAT MAKS UR POST INVALED HUR HUR WE R SO SMRAT WASSUP YO G!

As for the Clinic comparison, I think it's valid. They both have that moody, hypnotic sound and are both very lush in terms of sound.

Also, when considering the Joy Division comparison, Interpol have done a better job, IMO, of being bombastic. Obstacle 1 sounds like it's about to combust all over a gun-powder beach. I never got that feeling with Joy. I feel they were very different bands in that respect.

sp2

« Reply #99 on: 15 Sep 2005, 14:13 »

No, really, Interpol are boring.  Sure, they may be more complicated, but it feels muddled and soulless.  There are certain types of sounds that function much better with minimalism, and that's one of them.  Interpol are not brooding enough to pull off their actual sound and they're not energetic enough to pull off the sound they're trying to make.  They come off as soulless and boring and overproduced.  Their sound is about as genuine as your average Hot Topic political statement.

Which is to say, yeah, not as all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up