THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 14:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Most Informative Music Thread Possible  (Read 147338 times)

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
The Most Informative Music Thread Possible
« Reply #600 on: 01 Jul 2006, 12:53 »

I will only do Elliott Smith if people on this forum start spelling him name correctly.

...I promise I'll do him when I'm not feeling so damn lazy.
I like the way you work it.

Fortnight

« Reply #601 on: 01 Jul 2006, 14:53 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Quote from: Fortnight
...stuff on Scott Walker...

I'm actually going to be trying to get some stuff from this guy now, because, for some strange reason, one of his tracks ('Wyndham Hill') Was on the 'Looking For Europe' compilation and it wasn't half bad.

Oh, you mean Angels of Ashes (I looked up that compilation because I didn't recognize that song name, which is by some artist I don't know named Paul Roland). If you mean Angels of Ashes and not Wyndgam Hill, yeah, that track is on the compilation I have called 'Boy Child', which is a 1967-70 best-of that takes from the albums Scott 1-4 and Til The Band Comes In. Those are the solo albums that overlap with his time in the Walker Brothers, the nice baroque pop work that came before things like 'Climate of Hunter' and 'Tilt'. Great stuff.

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #602 on: 02 Jul 2006, 16:35 »

Quote from: OllieA

Mission of Burma?

Band Name: Mission of Burma

Genre: Post-Punk

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): Pre-Breakup: 9.5  Post-Reunion: 7.5

Best Album: Signals, Calls and Marches

Songs:
- Best All Around: That's When I Reach For My Revolver
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': They all rock balls, but I'll say The Ballad of Johnny Burma.
- Most Relaxing: Prepared
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: That's When I Reach For My Revolver
- Song That Best Represents The Band: Max Ernst

Bands Like This Band: Gang of Four, The Fall, Pere Ubu, Devo

Coolest Thing About This Band: Martin Swope.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #603 on: 02 Jul 2006, 17:16 »

...stuff on Scott Walker...

I'm actually going to be trying to get some stuff from this guy now, because, for some strange reason, one of his tracks ('Wyndham Hill') Was on the 'Looking For Europe' compilation and it wasn't half bad.

Oh, you mean Angels of Ashes (I looked up that compilation because I didn't recognize that song name, which is by some artist I don't know named Paul Roland). If you mean Angels of Ashes and not Wyndgam Hill, yeah, that track is on the compilation I have called 'Boy Child', which is a 1967-70 best-of that takes from the albums Scott 1-4 and Til The Band Comes In. Those are the solo albums that overlap with his time in the Walker Brothers, the nice baroque pop work that came before things like 'Climate of Hunter' and 'Tilt'. Great stuff.

Yeah, sorry. That compilation confused the fuck out of me with all the new awesome stuff. Like, I kept thinking the amazing exclusive track 'The Ride' on there was by Der Bluthsarch (rather than Blood Axis).*

I have downloaded some more of the experimentaler Scott Walker stuff anf it is good, I will try and acquire that compilation.

*Actually that is more odd, as I was already familiar with both Blood Axis and Der Bluthsarch...
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

OllieA

« Reply #604 on: 03 Jul 2006, 04:39 »

Thanks karl.

brandie

« Reply #605 on: 30 Jul 2006, 15:59 »

Has anyone done Leonard Cohen?  If not, please do.  I'm trying to decide which album to get, mostly.

Spinless

« Reply #606 on: 31 Jul 2006, 09:27 »

NEW STUFF

I decided the thread isn't quite as informative as it could be.
The new stuff you should include are
USELESS TRIVIA
OFFSHOOTS/SIDE PROJECTS

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #607 on: 31 Jul 2006, 20:24 »

Quote from: brandie
Has anyone done Leonard Cohen?  If not, please do.  I'm trying to decide which album to get, mostly.

oh man... dunno how i can compress this down...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject:
OllieA wrote:

Mission of Burma?

Band Name: Leonard Cohen

Genre: Folk/poetry

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 9

Best Album: um... i can't find which one 'Suzanne' is on, so i'll say Death of a Ladies' Man, for the title track

Songs:
- Best All Around: The Gambler
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': The Future. Seriously, it rocks HARD. I'm not kidding. Tottally dark and apocolyptic
- Most Relaxing: anything from 'Ten New Songs'
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: Suzanne
-Most covered by everybody: Hallellejah (no idea how to spell it)
-Best Song Re-Written By R.E.M. Into Another Great Song: Suzanne (turned into Hope)
- Song That Best Represents The Band: Famous Blue Raincoat, 'cause he talks about himself

Bands Like This Band: Nick Cave circa Nocturama and No More Shall We Part, sensative boys in dorm rooms everywhere

Coolest Thing About This Band: Chelsea Hotel (i think thats the name of the song) is about the time Janis Joplin thought he was Kris Kristofferson and gave him a blow job

Useless Trivia: both my dad and one of my tutors at Simon's Rock claimed to have seen him. my dad thinks he saw Cohen naked on a horse in Greece

Offshoots/Side Projects: those Nick Cave albums i mentioned :-p

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #608 on: 01 Aug 2006, 08:30 »

From what I remember of Godflesh, and I only saw them once years ago...they can pretty much be summed up by one word.

LOUD.

Good show though.

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #609 on: 02 Aug 2006, 03:49 »

Band Name: Mew

Genre: Alternative rock

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 9

Best Album: That depends which kind of Mew you like the best. The juvenile and bright Half the World Is Watching Me-era or Frengers/And the glasshanded kites which is a lot more symphonic, dark and dreamy. But i'd say Frengers. They matured a lot from album to album.

Songs:
- Best All Around: She-Spider
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': Am I Wry? No, or Circuitry Of The Wolf but that's just an intro. Very loud though. Also Special and Snow Brigade.
- Most Relaxing: Symmetry, Then I Run, Coffee Break
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: Snow Brigade or 156
- Song That Best Represents The Band: Again they have changed quite a bit over the years but pre-frengers it would be Like Papercuts, post-frengers would be She Came Home For Christmas or Special.

Bands Like This Band: Can't think of any.

Coolest Thing About This Band: If you don't like Half the World Is Watching me, you would probably like A Triumph for man and if you don't like Frengers you would probably like And the glasshanded kites. Something for everybody.

Characteristics: The frontsingers angelic voice and the very talented drummer. Very ambitious.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

Filk

« Reply #610 on: 02 Aug 2006, 07:00 »

Can someone do The Gathering?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #611 on: 08 Aug 2006, 02:47 »

Could someone (undoubtedly Khar or Troll) do Satyricon?

Unless I botched that spelling and am talking about a band that doesn't exist.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #612 on: 08 Aug 2006, 03:16 »

You don't need one of these to do Satyricon.

Simply watch this and, if you think KRIEG then you like them (Well, their early stuff) and if you don't, you don't.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #613 on: 08 Aug 2006, 04:10 »

Animal Collective and Modest Mouse are both coming to Syndey, so more info about them would be apprecaited. thx

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #614 on: 08 Aug 2006, 04:50 »

You don't need one of these to do Satyricon.

Simply watch this and, if you think KRIEG then you like them (Well, their early stuff) and if you don't, you don't.

I prefer K.I.N.G but then I am a sellout like that. Mother North is a pretty good song though.

EDIT:
Mother North has a much better video though...

Can someone do Danzig?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

ScrambledGregs

Re: The Most Informative Music Thread Possible
« Reply #615 on: 03 Dec 2006, 11:19 »

BUMP

Before I joined the forums, I loved this thread.

I would like someone to tell me about Fugazi, The Fall, and Joan of Arc.

My apologies if they were already done, but I'm one of those lazy god damn n00bs.

FireStarter

« Reply #616 on: 03 Dec 2006, 13:51 »

I have a request for you people. I have tried and tried and tried and tried to find this band again. The first time I heard them it was on a tape a friend of my mother's gave her, my mom didn't like it, but I found it quite entertaining. As far as I remember, the band was called Pog, and they were irish, sorta rockish, sorta progressive sorta indy/alternative I really can't remember. If someone could do a write up of them so I'd know where to start looking. I'd be much obliged.

FireStarter

« Reply #617 on: 03 Dec 2006, 14:02 »

Oh, and it's >NOT< The Pouges, Might be Pog Mo Thoin, but I can't find a decent enough recording of them to be able to tell what their studio music is like.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #618 on: 03 Dec 2006, 14:44 »

Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Felix_

« Reply #619 on: 03 Dec 2006, 17:35 »

I doubt they've been done, but I would very much like it if someone could do Love Spirals Downward, Ivy, and My Bloody Valentine.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #620 on: 03 Dec 2006, 22:06 »

I would like someone to tell me about Fugazi, The Fall, and Joan of Arc.

http://quiki.net/index.php/Fugazi

also, My Bloody Valentine? Shit, just buy Loveless and get on with it.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

camelpimp

« Reply #621 on: 04 Dec 2006, 00:41 »

Any thoughts on the Creatures?

Also, before I forget: Magazine, and is Morrissey's solo work worth checking out at ALL?
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2006, 01:00 by camelpimp »

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #622 on: 04 Dec 2006, 05:40 »

also, My Bloody Valentine? Shit, just buy Loveless and get on with it.

Thanks, Kai, for the Fugazi page. Also, I agree with the above statement, except that you should also buy Isn't Anything. It's not as good as Loveless, but still pretty fucking good.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #623 on: 04 Dec 2006, 07:37 »

Would someone do Aloha please?

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
    • Confessions of a Creative Writer
« Reply #624 on: 05 Dec 2006, 04:06 »

I'm doing one that nobody asked for to announce my triumphant return to these very forums.

Band Name: Sleater-Kinney

Genre: rock, riot grrl, punk, indie rock

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 9.

Best Album: My personal favourite is 'All Hands On The Bad One'...but 'The Woods' is widely acknowledged as their best. Unfortunately, it was also their last. *sniff*

Songs:
     - Best All Around: too many to choose from. i don't even have an outright favourite.
     - Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': um...'Let's Call It Love' for pure rock jammery, and 'I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone' for throwing yourself around your room rock-i-ness
     - Most Relaxing: 'Modern Girl' or 'The Swimmer'
     - Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: 'Jumpers' or 'Entertain'
     - Song That Best Represents The Band: 'Entertain', the lyrics = S-K's musical manifesto

Bands Like This Band: pretty girls make graves, the pixies... honestly can't think. i welcome any suggestions!!

Coolest Thing About This Band: the fact that during their 10 years together, they didn't release one bad album. on the contrary, they went from strength to strength with each release. also, when Carrie Brownstein plays guitar = phwoar.

FireStarter

« Reply #625 on: 05 Dec 2006, 04:20 »

Ok, it's Pog Mo Thoin, can anyone give me a good start on what I should begin pirating by them?

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #626 on: 05 Dec 2006, 09:03 »

i'm on the door to Midlake and My Latest Novel this weekend. should i go to either one?

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
« Reply #627 on: 05 Dec 2006, 16:25 »

I've seen My Latest Novel live a few times and they're really good. The other band, I have no idea about.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #628 on: 05 Dec 2006, 17:05 »

Can someone do The Gathering?

This is the first one of these I've done or will do, and it's for a band with whom I'm not incredibly knowledgeable, but I'll do my best.

Band Name: The Gathering

Genre: Early days - Goth/Black Metal with male and female vocals (from my understanding), Mid-'90s - Ambient Prog-rock, Currently - Ambient rock with emphasis on sonic soundscapes

Your Rating Of Them (1-10): 8

Best Album: Of the two I have, I'd have to say "Nighttime Birds" is better than "Mandylion."  These two are from the mid '90s when Anneke van Giersbergen first joined the band and they entered their prog-rock phase.  I've heard their second-most recent album, "Souvenirs" is their best, though.  Based on the material I've heard from that album on their live DVD, I might have to agree.

Songs: *I'll go into more detail here when I'm at home and can really look through their albums*
- Best All Around: Shrink
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin':
- Most Relaxing: Shrink
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard:
- Song That Best Represents The Band:

Bands Like This Band: Similar to Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Theatre of Tragedy, etc.  All those bands are pretty distinct when you really compare them to one another, but a fan of any would probably appreciate The Gathering.

Coolest Thing About This Band: How much a band of mostly the same members has changed over time.  To me, it shows that these musicians just do what pleases them musically, and they welcome fans to come along for the ride.

Characteristics: Anneke's voice.  I always describe it as honey poured over satin.

If you really want a good assessment of their material, go on Amazon.com and look for album reviews written by "Lord Chimp."  His reviews were essential when I was trying to decide whether I wanted to get into The Gathering or not.  And if you want a quick purchase to show you what the band is like these days, get your hands on a copy of their live DVD (about a year old now) called A Sound Relief.  Hope that helps a little bit.

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
« Reply #629 on: 05 Dec 2006, 17:32 »

can someone do Yo La Tengo for me?

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #630 on: 06 Dec 2006, 04:32 »

What he said... heck the rest of the Laneway lineup: Walkmen, Love Is All, Archie Bronson Outfit, Peter Bjorn & John... in exchange, i'll do Camera Obscura. Later... when i'm not working... tracking down Camera Obscura tour dates....

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #631 on: 06 Dec 2006, 07:47 »

I would do Yo La Tengo, but I only have their albums from Painful onward. Which is easily the era of their discography 98% of people will give a shit about, and for good reason, but still...I feel like I shouldn't unless I've heard it all.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #632 on: 06 Dec 2006, 15:18 »

Well i've got tickets to the festival they're playing at, so i just need to know enough to know what to listen to before then and whether its worth buying/scamming comp tix for their sideshows

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
« Reply #633 on: 06 Dec 2006, 23:55 »

What he said... heck the rest of the Laneway lineup: Walkmen, Love Is All, Archie Bronson Outfit, Peter Bjorn & John... in exchange, i'll do Camera Obscura. Later... when i'm not working... tracking down Camera Obscura tour dates....

ahem. 'SHE' said.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #634 on: 07 Dec 2006, 04:07 »

I apologize!
Are you an Aussie, or was this a random Yo La Tengo request?

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #635 on: 07 Dec 2006, 06:47 »

Well i've got tickets to the festival they're playing at, so i just need to know enough to know what to listen to before then and whether its worth buying/scamming comp tix for their sideshows

OK, then listen to: I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One and And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out. I, personally, would call those the two must have Yo La Tengo albums.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #636 on: 07 Dec 2006, 08:48 »

Also: I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
« Reply #637 on: 07 Dec 2006, 13:24 »

I apologize!
Are you an Aussie, or was this a random Yo La Tengo request?

out of those two options, neither. i genuinely know zip about the band.

i'm not an aussie, i'm scottish.

Roffey

« Reply #638 on: 11 Dec 2006, 09:06 »

Has anyone done Boris? I just got the SunnO)))/Boris comp off my friend and I think it's amazing.

Especially if you're possibly under the influence of something that may or may not be illegal.

Jimmy Balls-O-Steel

« Reply #639 on: 11 Dec 2006, 20:49 »

I saw someone make a call for the Blood Brothers

Band: The Blood Brothers

Genre: Noisey spastic post-hardcore, with elements of indie rock and dance-punk thrown in at various times

My Rating: 9

Best Album: Burn, Piano Island, Burn

Songs
- Best All Around: "Cecilia and the Silhouette Saloon" (I may have spelled that incorrectly)
- Loudest/Hardest/Most Rockin': "American Vultures" (pretty rockin' for a song that's only piano and vocals)
- Most Relaxing (relatively speaking): "Street Wars/Exotic Foxholes" or "Crimes"
- Most Played/A song by them you may have heard: "Crimes"
- Song That Best Represents The Band: "Cecilia and the Silhouette Saloon"

Similar Artists (to varying degrees: Song of Zarathustra, Polysics, At The Drive-In, The Fall Of Troy, Drive Like Jehu

Fun Facts: Guy Picciatto produced their newest album, Young Machetes. Two of the bands five members have a side project called Neon Blonde

Defining Characteristics: The band has two lead singers who usually don't play other instruments. The resulting vocal interplay is on a level that other bands with guitars just can't reach.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up