THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DjungleRaggaDnBWhatever (confused by Ishkurs guide)  (Read 3847 times)

Decima

(First of all, Id like to point out that perhaps my english isnt correct, but that Ive done my best)

Now, I was klicking around in Ishkurs Guide to Electronic Music (wich totally owns, heres a link http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html ), and the djungle section confused me alot. Perhaps before Ill explain why, Ill tell you a little about the way I find new music.
I am into music alot, I make songs myself in Reason, I play piano and flute, and I listen to music atleast like 2-3 hours per day. The way I find new music is, basicly, through friends and the net. I listen to something I like, I look for info about that artist on the net, I find articles that write about other artist that are related, I play it to my musicinterrested friends, if they like it perhaps they have something that they think sound similiar, blablabla, you get the picture. Now, because of that, most of the music I listen to isnt exactly "new", and with new I mean realesed after 2000.
I am very proud of my "music taste", but because of the way I search and find new music Im not really "into" any musicgenre, I dont follow one musicscene, and the things I know about the stuff I listen to is info Ive found on the internet.
And because of that, I was extremely happy when I found Ishkurs Guide to Electronic Music. But as I said, the Djungle-tree confused me. Djungle was more ambient than I thought, Ragga being ALOT more electronic and uptempo then I thought, Drumm n Bass being a rather small and uninterresting part of Djungle, and stuff I would have thought of as Trance/House/Techno/OtherElectronicDancemusic influenced Drum and Bass given own genres.
And thats why Im writing, to ask all of you who are really In The Djungle Scene, do you agree with Ishkurs view of Djungle?

And while Im at it, Id also like to ask for some tips about djungle and DnB-music. What I like about that music style is when it makes me feel like Im sitting eating noodles in some futuristic neopunk city with japanese writing flickering in neon above my head.
I like it when the rythms are chaotic, like the first example of Ragga in ischkurs guide, but not when I cant really keep track of it as in the songs hes labeled as djungle. I like jazzy DnB, I like rappers who rapps in that to me jamaican way (toasting?), I like it when the bass has a bit of dub groove, and I like it when its more melodic, in opposite to when its more "throwing pots down stairs". The stuff Ive been listening to is some DnB-mixes of the swedish (nu?)jazz-band Koop, a mixCD called "Obscene Underground Vol 1", and the MSX radiostation mix from GTA3.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
DjungleRaggaDnBWhatever (confused by Ishkurs guide)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2005, 05:37 »

Ishkur is indeed a legend and the Guide is brilliant - even for somebody such as myself who doesn't listen to electronic music.  However before you get too confused about something he says on the site, you should take a look at the disclaimer:

Quote from: Ishkur
This guide is a non-technical, irreverent critique of electonic dance music.  Its purpose is to entertain before it informs . . . I made most of it up.

Decima

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2005, 05:46 »

Well, Ive read that, but since he has samples and stuff, Im wondering if that "I made most of it up" is just him trying to get away easily? Like,"Hey, thats not right you idiot, you got the whole hardcorething wrong!" "read the disclaimer, I was just kidding!".

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2005, 06:19 »

I figure he gets the music and puts it wherever he feels like, then builds some half-baked explanation around it to amuse the masses.

salada

• Curry sauce
Re: DjungleRaggaDnBWhatever (confused by Ishkurs guide)
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2005, 06:47 »

hmm. perhaps this isn't really the best forum in the world for analysis of dnb/jungle. dogsonacid could be a better place to go, but i haven't really checked out their forums so i don't really know what the vibe there is like. there are other, more localised forums as well (eg. sydneyfriction.com and the dnb section of inthemix.com.au are my local ones).

i've never really liked ishkur's guide, just because i don't like splitting things into genres, sub-genres and so on that much. and electronic music is especially prone to doing that. it is a good starting point, though.

ragga and ragga jungle are two quite different things. plain ragga has more to do with reggae, ragga jungle is a lot more uptempo, and a lot of the stuff being produced today does sound quite electronic -- use of things like cone filters, timestretches, snare rushes, and so on.

you're right, jungle does sound quite "ambient", since a lot of the harder styles didn't really take shape till the mid to late 90's, so in comparison it does sound a bit lighter.

drum and bass pulls props from all over the place. "liquid" stuff was quite popular in the early 00's (check out some of the plastic surgery compilations from hospital records for a good intro to that style), drawing influence from funk and jazzy stuff. after a little while it started to get very cheesy. ltj bukem pretty much owns jazzy drum and bass though -- and he's good enough at it to not make it cheesy or whatever.

if you want to find out about the distinctions between styles, time periods and artists in jungle/drum and bass, the best thing to do is start going to gigs, listening to mixes (try dnb-sets.de, they've got heaps of stuff there), buying albums, and reading forums or magazines (ATM and knowledge are the two best-selling ones. both from the UK, unsurprisingly). there's also BassDrive drum and bass internet radio, which plays a fair range of different styles.

at the moment, i'm into what you call "throwing pots down stairs" drum and bass :P -- stupid stuff that often verges on unlistenable. trying to get people to like this music straight up is like trying to sell textbooks on fluid mechanics on a street corner -- it's not something you can get into straight away, more of a sort of progression. but i used to be into a lot of the jazzier stuff. i reccomend checking out stuff from labels like full cycle, hospital, and good looking records for a start.

the MSX radio from GTA is actually a mix CD from another UK label, moving shadow. they tend to release "techier" stuff which can get hard/loud sometimes, but always flows/rolls along quite regularly at a danceable pace. they are also worth checking out; that MSX mix is pretty representative of their sound.

stay away from labels like renegade hardware, evol intent recordings, barcode, outbreak, etc... unless you like pots-and-pans dnb :P

anyway, i better stop procrastinating and do my assignment. hope that helps, anyway...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2005, 06:53 »

I could never follow a lot of the sub-genres and whatever on Ishkur's guide. Mainly as a lot of them seemed to be exactly the same type of music but 50 bpm faster/slower or some other niggling difference. Maybe that's why.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Decima

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2005, 07:43 »

Ive always liked putting music in genres, dont know why. Anyway, thanks for all the info, gonna look it up right away.
Any tips on raggadjungle? Dont really know how that sounds ^~, but the first sample of ragga in Ishkurs guide Kicks Ass. To bad I cant find it anywhere though. Anyone know where to find it? And I dont think the MSX-mix is, uhm, throwing pots at all ^^.

MilkmanDan

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2005, 16:19 »

Generally you'll find that most people / shops / sites etc. don't devidew things up as much as Ishkar does. Most people just think about DnB, and various styles of it. Personally, I listen to and DJ all sorts of DnB from Funky Brazilian DJ Marky style things to grimey stuff like Dillinja, Jump Up like Aphrodite, Liquid like High Contrast, whatever.

I'd recommend listening to some Bad Company and Roni Size. That's how I got into it. Great stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up