THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 19:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Daily Show  (Read 17933 times)

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
The Daily Show
« on: 16 Aug 2005, 15:10 »

This is a thread dedicated to the best fake news program out today.

Discuss...
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
The Daily Show
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2005, 15:23 »

I reckon C.N.N.N.N. could probably give it a run for its money, although nobody outside Australia will have seen that.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
The Daily Show
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2005, 15:44 »

Last night's interview with Steve Carell was hilariously fantastic.

I love Jon Stewart to death.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
The Daily Show
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2005, 16:40 »

The book is pretty sweet too.

Inlander, you are to record C.N.N.N.N. to your comp and give us all a taste of Aussie pseudo-news right now!
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Maui

The Daily Show
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2005, 13:56 »

I heart Jon Stewart. :-) That show is sooo incredibly addicting. I dont like the new set for this season though, BRING BACK THE COUCH. heh.

Marauder

The Daily Show
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2005, 10:23 »

I prefer the classic set too, doesn't affect the show any, so I'm happy.

deborah

The Daily Show
« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2005, 10:48 »

when you said "classic set" i thought you meant the original cast, and i was going to concur.  oh well.
i like stewart just fine, but damn, craig kilborn was way funnier.

(p.s. when i was in london in january, i turned the tv in our hotel room to some news channel - cnn or something - and they had the "global edition" of the daily show on as if it counted as real news.)

AbsolootGeek

The Daily Show
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2005, 14:34 »

The Daily Show pwns!!  I've sort of given up watching Family Guy at 11 so I can watch the Daily Show (I still catch Family Guy when [as] reruns at 2 a.m.

@ Ozymandias:
You are absolutely correct about Steve Korell's interview.  Those first two minutes or so when neither of them said a thing were pure genius.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
The Daily Show
« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2005, 14:57 »

After a minute of that interview, I nearly pissed myself.
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

yipjumpmusic

The Daily Show
« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2005, 01:35 »

Yeah, of course its the best news, fake or not out there.  Bought the DVD set indecision 2004 but if they actually could have seasons of it on DVD I would be all over that...*sigh* ah well I should have been recording long ago or something

Wulfen

The Daily Show
« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2005, 05:03 »

when and on what channell is C.N.N.N.N on? I dont watch much TV these days cuz its 96% crap but there are a few shows....

La Creme

The Daily Show
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2005, 13:12 »

The Daily Show makes me laugh almost as much as dead babies.

Kidding... I swear...

Kid Modernist

The Daily Show
« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2005, 14:10 »

The Daily Show is so good I've yet to see the hipster backlash because it's gotten so popular.

Radiowar

• Obscure cultural reference
    • my music
The Daily Show
« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2005, 19:46 »

I reckon This Hour Has 22 Minutes could probably give it a run for its money, although nobody outside Canada will have seen that.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
The Daily Show
« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2005, 09:04 »

This Hour has 22 Minutes is pretty awesome.  We get several channels from Canada here in Washington.

Sythe

• ><DICK>
The Daily Show
« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2005, 17:18 »

The mother of a dead American soldier is plotting to kill Kevin Bacon!
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

JLM

The Daily Show
« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2005, 18:51 »

Quote from: deborah
when you said "classic set" i thought you meant the original cast, and i was going to concur.  oh well.

No.

Nothing that Craig "Should've been fired for sexual harrassment but for some reason comedy central let him keep his job" Kilborn did was ever close to the level of what John Stewart & Co. has done.  The writing has improved 20 times over since Kilborn left the show.  It's just better now.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
The Daily Show
« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2005, 01:11 »

Quote from: Radiowar
I reckon This Hour Has 22 Minutes could probably give it a run for its money

I'd like to think it, but no, The Daily Show is funnier.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

deborah

The Daily Show
« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2005, 06:59 »

Quote from: JLM

No.

Nothing that Craig "Should've been fired for sexual harrassment but for some reason comedy central let him keep his job" Kilborn did was ever close to the level of what John Stewart & Co. has done.  The writing has improved 20 times over since Kilborn left the show.  It's just better now.

wow, nice ad hominem attack.  you are a superstar.  i think kilborn was funnier.  i miss beth littleford and mo rocca, and i think samantha bee is ridiculously unfunny.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
The Daily Show
« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2005, 08:38 »

I wish you could order cable a la carte.  I have no interest in other channels (well, Cartoon Network is an old fave,) but I would totally order Comedy Central just for this show.

No way, Kilborn is an annoying putz.  Stewart improved the show tremendously.  I remember how, when Kilborn left and Stewart took over, a lot of people were all "Oh no, now the show is going to go downhill."  Only then it improved, and everyone was like "Sweet!"  Like how 5 questions was phased out; at first people thought getting rid of that segment was a bad idea, until it was gone and people realized in retrospect that it was just a one-note joke being repeated ad nauseum (a funny joke I admit, but even the funniest joke gets old when you hear it more than once.)

Still, I do remember my favorite question/answer pair:
"Which is your favorite kind of pie - chocolate custard or banana cream?"
"Chocolate?"
"Oooooh, I'm sorry.  The correct answer is banana cream."

deborah

The Daily Show
« Reply #20 on: 23 Aug 2005, 08:53 »

i painfully watched the first couple of seasons with stewart, crossing my fingers it would get better (i mean, even during the kilborn era they made poor decisions - like those stupid christmas sweaters)
and it just didn't.  for a long, long time.  i think now, after seven seasons, it's enjoyable and a force to be reckoned with, but damn.  it took SEVEN SEASONS.

and i think when colbert ditches to do his own show that the daily show is going to be the "look at me! i'm jon stewart!" show where horribly unfunny correspondents orbit stewart's massively big ego.

what i really miss of jon stewart was when he had his own late night show eons back and he used to do little puppet skits with gi joe dolls and barbies.  now THAT was funny.

thew

The Daily Show
« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2005, 09:10 »

stewart's massively big ego.

From someone who says they like Kilborn, this is especially funny.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
The Daily Show
« Reply #22 on: 23 Aug 2005, 11:03 »

Eh, so she doesn't like Stewart AS MUCH, I WAS DEFENDING YOUR POINT OF VIEW, JEEZ. JEEZ. Big deal, she's entitled to her opinions. I think Stewart's absolutely hilarious (I don't see how you can think anything different if you've seen his "Crossfire" appearance), but she might not. Don't chastize her over what she thinks, guys.

Edit'd. ;)
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

deborah

The Daily Show
« Reply #23 on: 23 Aug 2005, 11:07 »

i like stewart just fine

sweet lord you people don't read.

Kid Modernist

The Daily Show
« Reply #24 on: 23 Aug 2005, 12:09 »

i like stewart just fine

sweet lord you people don't read.

Although I think John Stewert is funner, I do think that the correspondents are pretty lame these days. Mo Rocca, Colbert (When he was on a lot), Beth Littleford, and the little remembered Vance Degeneres were hella funny.

JLM

The Daily Show
« Reply #26 on: 23 Aug 2005, 14:00 »

wow, nice ad hominem attack.  you are a superstar.  i think kilborn was funnier.  i miss beth littleford and mo rocca, and i think samantha bee is ridiculously unfunny.

Thank you.  You seem pretty cool yourself. :P

Sarcasm and Snark aside, I was also a fan of Mo Rocca, but seeing some of his post Daily Show work has led me to believe that my enjoyment of him overall was probably due more to the efforts of the writing team, and not Mo specifically.  Ed Helms seems to hold his own fairly well, and it's true that Rob Cordury (sp?) and Samantha Bee are hit and miss, but overall the current combination is still excellent.

thew

The Daily Show
« Reply #27 on: 23 Aug 2005, 15:00 »

Didn't mean to chastise anyone. Anyway, I always forget Laura Kightlinger was a Daily Show correspondent briefly. She's so sorely underused in Hollywood.

StrikeThePostman

The Daily Show
« Reply #28 on: 23 Aug 2005, 15:58 »

Quote from: Johnny C
I think Stewart's absolutely hilarious (I don't see how you can think anything different if you've seen his "Crossfire" appearance)

Hell yes.  I saw it at a friend's house and it inspired me to go home and watch Indecision all over again.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
The Daily Show
« Reply #29 on: 24 Aug 2005, 11:26 »

what i really miss of jon stewart was when he had his own late night show eons back and he used to do little puppet skits with gi joe dolls and barbies.  now THAT was funny.

I vaugely remember his late night snow being on early 90's-ish and being pretty damn funny.  I remember the first time Marilyn Manson some how made it on to television was on his show.

Merkava

The Daily Show
« Reply #30 on: 24 Aug 2005, 17:00 »

Quote from: JLM

Thank you.  You seem pretty cool yourself. :P

Sarcasm and Snark aside, I was also a fan of Mo Rocca, but seeing some of his post Daily Show work has led me to believe that my enjoyment of him overall was probably due more to the efforts of the writing team, and not Mo specifically.  Ed Helms seems to hold his own fairly well, and it's true that Rob Cordury (sp?) and Samantha Bee are hit and miss, but overall the current combination is still excellent.

I think they're all hysterical. Though Ed Helms is still my favorite. The bit on hurricane coverage was classic. :P

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
The Daily Show
« Reply #31 on: 24 Aug 2005, 18:08 »

Oh god, I nearly peed myself.

Merkava

The Daily Show
« Reply #32 on: 24 Aug 2005, 20:27 »

Woops, I meant Rob Cordery, I think. I get them confused. They have the same hairdo and glasses. XP

Maui

The Daily Show
« Reply #33 on: 24 Aug 2005, 20:45 »

I think i forgot how funny "This week in God" is. I caught a rerun today with it on. Genius.
Pages: [1]   Go Up