THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Megatokyo anyone?  (Read 6001 times)

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Megatokyo anyone?
« on: 21 Aug 2005, 20:20 »

I did a search and no one seems to have started a topic on this.  Other than QC it's really the only webcomic I read with any regularity.  Thoughts?  Opinions?

Kid Modernist

Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2005, 22:57 »

Short answer: Used to be cool, sucks now.

Longer answer: I liked it better towards the beginning, and as Rodney had less and less imput it went downhill. It's all really emo now and rambly with a pretty bad and hard to keep up with story. Plus I confuse the characters alllll the time.

Not bashing on you, just not a favorite of mine.

JLM

Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2005, 01:45 »

No worries.  I like the fact that Fred doesn't feel the need to make a joke in every strip, and that the strip can be serious as well as zany.  Also, the humor never really feels forced.  While Rodney did contribute something, I don't necessarily feel that his loss had that big of an impact, other than a slightly broader appeal.  Considering Tokyopop has been selling the collected strips he's gotta be doing something right.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2005, 05:53 »

There is no need to quote someone above you. Also, I startd reading it one day and never finished.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Primate

Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2005, 06:02 »

Actually, Dark Horse is publishing the collections, not Tokyopop.

Megatokyo got me hooked on webcomics, and it's still the top banner on my links page. The magna drawing style isn't novel considering the flood of the stuff on the American market, but I love that he does it in pencils. The technology has been available for over a decade now, but inks still rule the art form. More pencil comics would be a good thing.

And I'd argue that the comic is angsty rather than emo. I think Fred and Rodney were a little too old to participate in that subculture.

Deticui

Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2005, 08:12 »

I still think its pretty funny, but more in a Royal Tenenbaums/Life Aquatic sort of funny way (like theres only one or two strips that make you crack up, but quite a few that make you grin)

Ive been reading MT for years now, since it has been(to me at least) the first American manga to actually be sold in the Manga section of trendy bookstores like Borders (yes i shop at borders, you can return within 30 days so that makes it my library.  course, ive never returned ANYTHING)  i wouldnt suggest buying anything other than books, though, since they overprice everything else.

but back to MT, Largo has gotten more insane, not less.  Only problem now is that he's developing a love interest, which is pretty much completely out of character, but at least he likes a homocidally violent ex-pop star with a disaster rating high above rampaging PS2 accessories and drunken giant turtles.

JLM

Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2005, 11:52 »

Quote from: Primate
Actually, Dark Horse is publishing the collections, not Tokyopop.

*smacks forehead* that's right.  oops.

I don't know if Largo developing a love interest is really out of character.  Frankly I found it rather unbelievable that he was supposed to be figuratively asexual.  Although I think that the current storyline is kind of easing him into it well.

torg

Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2005, 12:09 »

MT was my first webcomc (about 3 years ago) and i still like it, But one thing drives me crazy: that Piro is completely unable to stick to his own schedule. geeze i dont remember the last time when he actually updated on time a whole week long...

Micah

Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2005, 14:41 »

It was my fist too.  It's becoming to complicated now though.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2005, 20:29 »

my second ever webcomic, I like it less then I used to and am slowly trying to cut it out of my regular webcomic viewing.

Also I want to tell you all about what Awkward Silence told me when I told him I liked Megatokyo

Awkward Silence:  Yeah I used to like Megatokyo, then my balls dropped.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2005, 21:30 »

I really want to post a long list of my complaints with MegaTokyo, but that would be unwise. Suffice to say that I don't like it very much. I will say this, though:

Having done a job remarkably similar to Piro's for almost a year now and updating nearly twice as often as he is *supposed* to, I can think of absolutely no good reason for him to be as awful about updating on time as he is. He has no excuse, as far as I'm concerned.

For a good explanation of the problems some people have with MT, click http://www.websnark.com/archives/2004/08/you_had_me_and.html">here.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2005, 01:26 »

I stopped going regularly after Caston jumped ship; and the last time I checked in was like eight, nine months ago? I just can't pick it up again.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Primate

Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #12 on: 23 Aug 2005, 05:24 »

Interesting Websnark article. Can't argue with it, since the shift in tone after Rodney left, the erratic updating, the huge cast, and the slow moving plot are all accurate descriptions. However, I will offer a couple of comments on the abuses that don't fall under simply matters of taste.

I'm on a 28K baud modem. I read webcomics that update every day, just the workweek, MWF, TTS, once a week, and whenever they feel like it. I just can't get excited that he blows deadlines on a regular basis. I'm online to check comics almost every day. The energy of the two clicks it takes to load the page does not make finding an old comic a horrifying expierence. I'll just check again tomorrow. I know it annoys a good chunk of readers, but it's a permenant part of the comic's style now, and I can live with it.

The plot is slow. (Okay, so I am going to address taste.) It's still faster than the Japanese Magna its derived from.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #13 on: 23 Aug 2005, 11:04 »

The whole updating thing doesn't really affect me much, what with tons of other webcomics to read and all while I wait for MT.  The story has sucked me in though (I read Ranma 1/2 and a bunch of other shoujoish manga with relationships and what have you so it interests me) so I keep coming back.

Clanbob.net, though.  I don't know what the heck happened there.

Mr Blue Sky

Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #14 on: 23 Aug 2005, 16:34 »

Wow, that's a great article, exept for the part where he personally insults Fred Gallhager.

I still read MT though, it takes about 2 seconds to load the page and one good laugh a week is worth the "wasted" time, plus the backgrounds are kickass.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2005, 10:05 »

Eric Burns is right on with the Had me and Lost me.  I found the first printed comic at a the library and went through it in a few hours, enjoying the more insane aspects of it's humor.  Checked it out online eventually and found it to be a pile of "meh" as it progressed.  The lack of regularity in updates would be more excusable if it wasn't his full time job.  That said, MT would be better off just going with published book form as far as the pacing is concerned.

marxz

Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #16 on: 31 Aug 2005, 01:02 »

I'm going to be soooooo un cliquey here.. and long winded... and boring...
Megatokyo was the first Web Comic I read starting in 2000 with the Tokyo Games Show strip 19 when I googled (or was it "alltheweb" back then) looking for Japanese language  websites. yeh OK when Carlson was on board it was more gag based that's for sure  but I actually kind of like the later stuff, slower moving more subtle  more "nice" more personal interplay. I meen looking down my bookmarks I find some of my other favorite "comics" are  Misfile and Seasons of Constancy that are equally slow paced and relatively "gag free"
But hey I still love a good gag and /or joke and/or in your face "offensive" web comic (say like QC, Scarygoround, Diesel Sweeties, Little Gamers etc) but lets face it this type of web comic is a dime a dozen and very few of them pull it off any degree of real humor or originality like Jeph, John, Robert and those naughty Swedes Christian and Pontus do.

I used to get frustrated at times by Fred's infrequent schedule, but these days I figure it's his strip,  it's not like I'm paying for it, and seriously  there's no contractual obligation between him and the readers for him  to pump out content on a regular basis.  Look at stuff like Seasons of Constancy, Alpha Shade, Underpower, Errant Story, and Krakow/Marlith among many others - where the artist sometimes drops off the face of the earth for weeks or months on end. I meen OK so most of those guys are weekend warriors in the web comic world, but I'm sure, like them, Fred Gallager feels equally justified in taking his own sweet time if he feels other stuff takes priority. So I just hang off clicking the links for a few week or so and then play catch up if there's new content.

Actually.... I do have one honest bitch about MT though and that that the MT forum is the home of choice to some of the most socially disfuntional <insert your word of choice refering to an excreting and/or sexual orifice here> ever to be endowed with, barely, sufficient IQ points to master rudimentry language skills. AND that alone put me off reading it for a couple of years

Se7en

Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #17 on: 01 Sep 2005, 09:30 »

I dont have any problem with MT. Like many people, it was one  of the first webcomics i started to read.

I dont care about the regularity or punctuality of the updates. The man is an artist first, and a bussinessman second. I'd rather wait for a good comic tomorrow than read a crappy one today.

Also, im not paying the man am i? I'm terrible at time management myself, so it would be the utmost arrogance for me to critisise someone else for missing self imposed deadlines, on a free, artistic product. In the end, Fred is the only one that suffers when he misses deadlines, since its what he makes his living at. His business, not mine.

I'm GLAD that largo is becoming a more 3 dimentional character. I'm one of the worlds largos, not a piro. Guess what? i have love interests and occasional angst too! Hes more complex, more belivable, and we start to see the human being behind the phycosis.

I dont mind the slow pace. Its that slow pace that allows you to really get to know the characters, outside the main plot events. Its the details that make life what it is, and its the same for comics.

Honestly, how would you react if the piro/kimiko arkwardness was just a month long storyline? it wouldnt make sense, it wouldnt feel real, and it wouldnt tell you anything about the characters.

Lastly, theres no point blaming Fred for his fans. He draws what he wants, and it happens to be liked by a rather juvenile subculture. Its as silly as blaming Jeph for having a forum full of knowitalls.

Okay, thats all.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Megatokyo anyone?
« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2005, 07:50 »

Quote from: marxz
Actually.... I do have one honest bitch about MT though and that that the MT forum is the home of choice to some of the most socially disfuntional <insert your word of choice refering to an excreting and/or sexual orifice here> ever to be endowed with, barely, sufficient IQ points to master rudimentry language skills. AND that alone put me off reading it for a couple of years

Holy shit, truer words have never been spoken. THat place is the scourge of the internet, the Earth, and the Universe. Reading those posts for like a minute are like, insta-suicide.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up