THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeon Flux  (Read 5790 times)

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Aeon Flux
« on: 24 Aug 2005, 11:11 »

The new film, not the animated series.  I never cared much for what they did with the show once Aeon was able to talk.

anyways...

Trailer here.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Aeon Flux
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2005, 11:27 »

Charlize Theron is hot, and the shots look promising, but.... the art and design of Aeon Flux was as much a character as the story and Aeon and Trevor.  It doesn't strike me like the first time I Aeon get killed on Liquid TV (when MTV was actually cool)

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Aeon Flux
« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2005, 22:42 »

I didn't care much for the series but you never know how these things will turn out. Might be worth a look...

Garcin

Aeon Flux
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2005, 07:37 »

It may suck, but maybe not.  It's definitely not going to capture the ethos of the original series.  For that, you would need David Lynch directing Milla Jovovich in Aeon's role; or David Cronenberg . . . sigh.

Why Milla Jovovich, you ask?  Not just because she has Aeon's body type (ie. the "give that girl a sammich" bodytype), but also because Jovovich, unlike Charlize Theron, would not have refused to wear Aeon's costume, claiming it was too revealing.  It's supposed to be freakin' bondage wear -- that's the point.  Now it just looks like Theron is doing Trinity with bare shoulders.

But the director is Karyn Kusama, in apparently her sophomore film, after having done a decent job with Girlfight.  I think that she will take the female-empowerment route, which was admittedly a sub-theme in the original series.  We can look forward to Theron jumping up and down a lot, kicking the crap out of Trevor, and blowing shit up.  I'm just miffed that I'm being deprived of the nightmare masterpiece that might have been.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Aeon Flux
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2005, 18:34 »

Lynch or Cronenburg would have made for a great film. It would be cool if they played around with the nightmarish aspect of it, rather than making it a Tomb Raider "boobs 'n' guns" type movie...

Tinjessla

Aeon Flux
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2005, 15:49 »

I remember catching an episode of this, late on MTV one night and liking it's incredibly surreal quality and animation. I'll probably end up seeing this out of curiosity.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Aeon Flux
« Reply #6 on: 02 Sep 2005, 20:14 »

Quote from: Gryff
Lynch or Cronenburg would have made for a great film. It would be cool if they played around with the nightmarish aspect of it, rather than making it a Tomb Raider "boobs 'n' guns" type movie...

If Lynch made it, no one would understand what the hell was going on, thus keeping to the original source quite nicely.

Cronenberg isn't a good director. There. I've said it.  I'll admit that he's very stylized and has impeccable attention to minutiae, but a good director is also concerned that his or her actors are coming across believably.  To date, I can't think of one movie of his that I've seen where I was impressed with the acting, and considering the fact that most of the actors he's worked with are people I've enjoyed in other films, I have to chalk it up to bad directing.

Garcin

Aeon Flux
« Reply #7 on: 03 Sep 2005, 01:38 »

Not every movie the man has directed worked, but I enjoyed The Fly, The Dead Zone, Crash, and ExistenZ quite a bit - particularly that last one.  Among those, Crash was probably the hardest to like (for obvious reasons if you've seen the movie, and keep in mind that this is the 1996 Crash and not the 2005 wholly unrelated movie).  But the man has a nack for turning the morbid disturbing that is almost artistic, which is I suggested that he would have been a good pick for Aeon Flux.

Other good picks: Chris Nolan, Darren Aranofsky.  I'm pretty sure that between Kusama and Theron, we're going to lose the darkness & depth that made Aeon so much fun.

Merkava

Aeon Flux
« Reply #8 on: 03 Sep 2005, 08:30 »

Although Memento is my favorite movie, I wouldn't think Nolan would fit with Aeon Flux. It's just...not small and personal enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up