THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D&D Character Questions!  (Read 14438 times)

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
D&D Character Questions!
« on: 27 Aug 2005, 09:27 »

ZOMG. NERDINESS.

Okay, so anyway.

I've always wanted to get into D&D, but have never had the chance until now. A few friends of mine are starting a fresh game, new characters and all, and I have been invited to jump in. Of course I said "Yes."  I have read through most of the player's guide and such, but forgot to bring it home with me for the weekend to continue my research, so I am going to probe the vast expertise of you nerdswonderful people.

The type of character I want, I want to be similar to a FF style Dragoon, Jumping, spear/lance-wielding(I like the guisarme) badass in Spiked full plate, with a pet dragon of epic proportions. This, atleast to me, seems like a bit of a task for a first-time player, but my DM has assured me that he knows what I want and will do his best to help be get there via advising me on feats and such.

I know that I will be taking atleast a level-or-two as a fighter to get Heavy Armor, and general badassery, and I believe that the D&D "Jump" is in the monk skill set. Also knowing that I will need to do a charisma roll for taming/training the dragon(Hopefully I can find/tame one large enough to teach the "Take Rider" ability), I will need some extra points in charisma, as well as in strength for the heavy armor and large weapon. I will also need some dexterity(concentration?) rolls for the odd chance that I fall into a body of water and need to hook my guisarme onto something to save my ass from drowning/losing my armor.

So, assuming you read all that, how would you go about creating a character such as the one I want? Break it down as much as you can if you have the time, if not, just do a general over-all of how to do it. You could also throw in some other character ideas to get a similar effect, if you felt the need.

Also, last thing, I need to make a trip to the nerdiness store to buy some dice. Based on the above/below, what should I get?

DISCUSS!
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2005, 10:18 »

I'd say 1 D20, 1 D10, 2 D8, A crapload of D6, and 1 D4.

Outside of that most characters aren't really hard to play. Especially if you know what you want.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2005, 10:25 »

I've already got a crapload of D6 that I have harvested from many, many games. I keep all of my dice and various little gaming bits in a big fishing-tackle box. I even have bits of cardboard gold coins from one game or another.

[edit]
Quote from: Something Witty
Quote from: Absolam
Dude...I hate to burn you, but JUMPING in heavy armor is very tough. Your best ways to make this work is too do the following

I know this, which would be why I have this topic running on three different forums to get different ways to handle it.  :3nod:

-Get a Mithril set of heavy armor, same size and bonuses, but it is lighter ^_^
-Get a RING OF JUMPING this is either a +10 or a +30 I forget.
-Get the feat Leap of The Clouds, this way you may jump as high as your character is able, not just twice your hieght like most characters can.
I was referring to that "Leap of the clouds" ability when I mentioned jump. Thanks for pointing out the name of it.

As for wanting a mount, you MIGHT want to look into a book called THE COMPLETE WARRIOR. In there is a class called the calvalier that is a Specilazied class just for working on a monuted animal, and with spear/lances.
I will most certainly look into that, as soon as I get the chance.

DO NOT GO TO THE MONK, since all thost abilities don't work in any armor.
I wasn't planning on it. I was just noting where the ability was incase anyone was not sure.

Oh, and about the DRAGON thing, ask your DM if you can get a Wyrvern. this is in the Monster Manual and is like a smaller dragon. A full sized dragon would never bow to you, honestly, but a wyrvern might ^_^ I had a ranger with one, so it'll work.
I wasn't planning on a full-sized dragon, because I know that a full-sized dragon would die before yielding, let alone being put to work as a so-called pet. I was thinking of finding a much younger(and MUCH smaller) one, a large wyvern or some such thing. It's not like I need any sort of huge beast if I choose a smaller race. I'm just trying to get more clear ideas on what to do.

That answers the bit on advice about armor and jumping, and the "pet" dragon.  If you have anything to add to it feel free.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

ChaoticEvil

D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2005, 12:38 »

Dice are easy to get online
If you have time to kill check out the GiantIntheplayground forums they have a massive PbP (Play by Post(forum post not send a letter/email)) setup which will allow much fun for little to no effort.

If you have poeple willing to RP with you you are sooo lucky (my local people are like' does AD&D stand for Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance')

Dice... Well you'll probably want a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20 and a d100 (tensided, but goes up in tens. used in conjunction with a d10 for percentiles)

Or you could use an online diceroller if you are a skinflint

For a bunch of pretty dice ((big thing among gamers for some reason)) I would recommend the following site

Linkage
GiantInThePlayground : http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl#play_cat
Diceroller : http://members.lycos.co.uk/noentiendo/Rolls.html
Dice Online : http://www.chessex.com

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2005, 13:12 »

If you have poeple willing to RP with you you are sooo lucky

Not only are they willing, but atleast one of them is an In-character nazi. If you speak OOC, he beats you with the wrath of god.

So is that $3.50 for a set of 7 dice pretty standard? Because there's a gaming shop right down the street, so I would rather go there than order online and wait for delivery..

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2005, 14:16 »

yea, that's a standard set. bring a few d6s along too. in-character nazis are annoying. if we had one of those they'd get a "shut the fuck up, larper."

sounds like you're starting out with a pretty advanced character.
also israel

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2005, 14:19 »

I wasn't referring to the set, I was referring to the price.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2005, 14:51 »

prices go up depending on the style, $3.50 is the lowest you can find, probably.
also israel

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2005, 16:10 »

Yeah. That's a great price for the set of dice. Too bad it is
Shipping info:
Within the USA - Shipping and handling within the Continental United States is either $5.95*
TWICE THAT MUCH to have them mailed out. Bastards.

I went to the super-nerd store, and found the Chessex sets for $5.00+tax, which is less than it would cost me to order them. I will be buying/having them order me some tomorrow.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2005, 20:40 »

4.50 is cheapest you can get from my store except for the tiny sets which are so cute. give a set of those to a nerd girl, "these dice are cute and they made me think of you."

I had a girl once ask me to bless her dice. I felt real awkward and instead I gave her an official TSR dicebag as a "blessing".
also israel

ChaoticEvil

D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2005, 09:35 »

That dice site was wherever my dad got them from, i didn;t really bother searching i just looked at my dice box and this piece of paper ((professional paper)) was inside

And it bore the legend
'CHX25307
Cobalt tm
7 speckled polyhedral die set
*Logo*
www.chessex.com
WARNING!
Choking Hazard
Not suitable for Children Uder 8 years
Dice made in denmark'

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2005, 09:43 »

The nerd store by my house sells chessez dice. So instead of paying the $10.00USD to get what I want and have it mailed out, I'm going to have them order me a set of

Opaque Black w/ red numbers set of 7 dice
Opaque Black w/ red numbers d6 x7(or x3, depending on price).

That will give me 1 d4, 8(or 4)d6, 1d10, 1d100(in steps of 10), 1d12, and 1d20.

ChaoticEvil

D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2005, 04:46 »

you will be alright with them just don;t let ANYONE else take your dice... they are yours do not let them be defiled or you lose the luck that they carry.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #13 on: 29 Aug 2005, 08:23 »

I am aware of the fact that dice are sacred objects. I'm going to have them blessed by a particular lady to grant them even better luck.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2005, 10:07 »

IIRC, "Jump" is a strength-based skill that also falls into the rogue and barbarian skill sets. You could always multi-class, but the fact is that if you do that, you won't get the same kind of combat badassery that you would really want.

My advice: take a human fighter, and ask/bribe your DM if you can swap "Intimidate" as a class skill (It's fucking useless for most fighters anyway) and replace it with "Jump".

Be warned, however, that jumping FF style is basically not possible in D&D until you hit level 21 (and even then, you have to take the "Legendary Leaper" feat.) The best you can hope for before then is to basically become an olympic high/long jumper. Good, but not so good that you can basically shoot thirty feet in the air, and then come down, spear first. Even then, a suit of spiked full plate armour is REALLY going to fuck with your ability to jump (BIG armour check penalty)

You can come close, but you'll need to be hitting epic level campaigns before you can really realise your dream. The same goes for the dragon companion, I'm afraid, unless you've got a DM who seriously doesn't give a shit about game balance. You could go with a pseudodragon, I suppose.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2005, 12:22 »

my DM said something about griffon-sized dragons(Horse-size or so) in this campaign. Something I will get around level 18-or-so. I'll have to deal with a little wyvern or some such thing until then, I think.

I am aware of the armor issue, we were discussing at lunch about a ring of jumping, and boots of stride and spring or some such thing. We were also discussing Mithril Elven plate armor, to help with the armor weight problem, but that is another thing that will not come until later in the game. I figure by around level 17-19 or so I should be getting close to what I actually want.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2005, 18:19 »

I'm designing an adventure/campaign in which the characters are intelligent undead under the loose control of a powerful lich, only they don't know it because of the powerful illusion spells placed on them. They're his unwitting agents in the human border cities. They'll have to discover that they're intelligent undead and then battle the lich for their very freedom!

I'm real excited :D
also israel

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #17 on: 30 Aug 2005, 22:54 »

Quote from: Trollstormur
I'm designing an adventure/campaign in which the characters are intelligent undead under the loose control of a powerful lich, only they don't know it because of the powerful illusion spells placed on them. They're his unwitting agents in the human border cities. They'll have to discover that they're intelligent undead and then battle the lich for their very freedom!

That is one of the most badass campaigns I've ever heard of.
Undead : +
Violence : +
Nerdiness : +
Hott troll women : ?
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

La Creme

D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #18 on: 31 Aug 2005, 00:02 »

Spear-bearing and jumping goodness:

Race: Human
Stats (highest to lowest): Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma interchangable
Level progression:
--1-- Fighter (nothin' beats 3 feats at level 1!)
--2-- Rogue (all the skills u'll ever need, plus sneak attack and extra reflex save bonus that'll help you as a mobile character)
--3 * 6-- Fighter (pack in them feats)
--7 * whatever you play to-- Weapon Master (prestige class in Sword & Fist) / Fighter [switch off every level] (Do this if you're really serious about one weapon {guisarme, glaive, whateva})

Yeah, I was a bigtime DnD nerd in 7th grade. I'm working on a campaign right now (in which Sean says he's playing [Keifer, come over and make a fucking character]). So far it is beautiful. It is an evil campaign. That means we get to kill shit you normally try to help, and kill shit you normally try to kill, and kill everything that doesn't fit into those categories.

PS. Get the Boots of Stride & Spring. Those are majorly kickass. Also, the ring of jumping depends on whether you're playing 3.0 or 3.5. 3.0 is +30, 3.5 has lesser and greater. Lesser is +10, and I can't remember the other one.

SeanBateman

D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #19 on: 31 Aug 2005, 02:12 »

I am playing a Monk Preston. I am going to kick more ass than anyone else ever. Unless monks suck in 3.0, then I dunno.

La Creme

D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #20 on: 31 Aug 2005, 02:20 »

Monks are super bad-ass in 3.0. And that makes pretty much a perfect party. It's evil btw.

________ Monk

Dwarven Sorcerer (my brother's crazy idea but it turned out good regardless of -2 charisma thang)

Hobgoblin Fighter (I am mad bow skillz)

Human Holy Warrior of [death god yet to be named in my world's pantheon]

SeanBateman

D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #21 on: 31 Aug 2005, 02:31 »

I know it is evil. I am going to be Evil as all hell. I am going to kick folks in the shins, take action figures from little kids if I want them, pillage, murder, and all with a calm monklike demeanor. Also, I may kill you guys.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #22 on: 31 Aug 2005, 03:11 »

Monks were best in 1st ed. psionic abilities + 1d20 attacks 6/round.
also israel

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #23 on: 31 Aug 2005, 14:39 »

Tehe. We made my Dragoon a Prestige class:

DRAGOON

Requirements:
Base Attack Bonus:+5
Skills: Handle Animal (4 Ranks), Jump (8 Ranks), Ride (4 Ranks), Tumble (6 Ranks)
Feats: Mounted Combat, Weapon Specialization(Any Spear[Shortspear, Ranseur, Guisarme, Glaive, Longspear, Lance, Halberd, Trident])

Weapon Ansd Armor Proficiencies: A Dragoon gains no Armor/Weapon Prodiciencies.
Hit Dice: d8
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Profession (Int), Ride (Dex), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points: (4+Int Modifier) per level.
Good Saves: Reflex
Base Attack Progression: Good(I don't want to draw out the whole chart)

1 Acrobatic Charge, Leap 1/day, Jump Attack, Dragon Mount(Ability, not the actual mount)
2 Roll with Fall 30 ft, Jump Attack +1d6
3 Spring Attack, Leap 2/day
4 Speed Booft (10ft), Jump Attack +2d6
5 Leap 3/day
6 Roll with Fall 60ft, Jump Attack +3d6
7 Leap 4/day, Speed Boost (20ft)
8 Standing Leap, Jump Attack +4d6
9 Leap 5/day
10 Roll with Fall 90ft, Jump Attack +5d6

Abilities:
Leap -- Light or Medium Armor - +10 to next Jump check, nexu Jump not limited by height. Juumping Attacks made with a Leap deal double damage (triple with a lance).
Standing Leap --Dragoon no longer has to make a running start in order to Jump or Leap.
Roll with Fall -- When you are going to take falling damage you may attempt to damage as if you had falled a number of feet less than you actually fell. You much succeed on a DC 15 Jump check followed by a DC 15 Tumble Check. If you succeed on both, reduce the damage as per the description of Roll with Fall (30, 60, or 90 ft).

Procedure for Jump Attacks:
1. Jump High (or jump down) as part of your charge move.
2. Fall(Land) on your target opponent.
3. Make an attack roll. If you succeed deal your weapon damage + falling Damage to your target. If you fail, you may attempt to Roll with Fall.

If the Jump attack is successful, I take 0 fall damage(It all transfers to the target creature or object) and have the chance to use Spring Attack to bounce out of their range to counter attack.

The Dragon Mount applies to both Dragons and Dragonkin, there is a specific type I will be riding, I just forget it's name. It is approximately 6 feet at the shoulders when on all four legs. My Half-Ogre looks around 7-7.5(Maybe a full 8 if he stands fully upright), based on that image.

To get the Dragoon Class I will have to take 4 levels of Fighter and 2 of Rogue(Then I will likely drop more into Fighter after I reach level 10 Dragoon), I believe we will be starting at 5th level, so my second in-game level will be Dragoon, I am happy with that. My DM is going to be very forgiving when it comes to EXP penalties for multiclassing, because everyone in the game so far has atleast two, and I have to take atleast 3.

I still need ideas for Names. Something sharp, One syllable or two, tops.

As for a Back Story, This is the base:
In the Ancient Westwern Kingdom, the Cavalry was unequaled. The commander of the most feared unit was the Grandfather of my character on his Mother's side. As my character's mother was his only child, the Guisarme and armor(I'm thinking studded leather) he used was passed down to my character, when he came of age.

Feel free to rip that apart if you want to, just be constructive about it.

My plan for the end of the game is to have the Guisarme Heavily Enchanted, and be wearing Full Mithril Plate, Elven Mithril Plate if I can find any. Also, to just generally be TEH PWNAGE.

If you see any holes, or things that you think might be serious problems, point them out.

La Creme

D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #24 on: 31 Aug 2005, 14:44 »

I'd take your 5th and 6th level of fighter before 10 total levels so you get multiple attacks per round. Without that, you're gonna kind of suck. Unless the jump attack thing is a full-round action. In that case it doesn't matter really...

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #25 on: 01 Sep 2005, 11:14 »

I'm not sure if it's going to be a full round action.. I'll have to check on that. But I figure I might take the fighter levels at levels where Dragoon only gets + Leap/day  skills, then do dragoon at the next level.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #26 on: 03 Sep 2005, 11:20 »

First-Session Update:

The GM caught me with a low initiative in the first round of combat and put me to -3 health before I got to act. Once I got back up on my feet (With the help of a NPC), I proceeded to almost change my alignment from Chaotic Neutral to Chaotic Evil due to the swift and brutal fasion with which I exacted my revenge(Barbed Javenils in eyes and twisting them around to extract information). It took all 3 of the other PCs to subdue my Level 3 half-ogre Fighter to the point that they could take him to be tried for his "crimes".

I can go into more brutal detail if you guys want.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #27 on: 03 Sep 2005, 14:10 »

Go ahead.

Anyways, I used to be really big into dnd and Call of Cthulhu (which totally rawks, check it out. LOVECRAFTIAN DND ZOMG). Now I tend to play Shadowrun more than anything else, because it's pretty much the poor man's RIFTS.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #28 on: 03 Sep 2005, 14:22 »

I made a Charge at the first one I encountered, and put a Javelin into his eye, which I already said. I tywisted the javelin around until he told me where his friends were, then I killed him.

When I reached the cave that his friends were in, I burst through the door, grabbed one of the two of them by the head(My Grapple is +11), used him as a club to smash his friend into the ground so they were both prone, then Stabbed a javelin through the guy I used as a club's head and into his friend's groin.. repeatedly, until they told me where they had stashed the items that they had stolen from me. (At this point, my DM was just shaking his head, and looking very pale), so I walked out with 3 duffle-bags full of loot, as well as all of my items that had been stolen.

The next day, in town, I had my first run-in with the other 3 players, Which was very interesting, to say the least. I'll just say that it took all three of them to subdue my character. That made for fun times.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #29 on: 03 Sep 2005, 15:27 »

Quote from: Trollstormur

not to be an asshole, but have you heard of warcraft?

La Creme

D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #30 on: 03 Sep 2005, 15:49 »

I wonder which came first, Warcraft or DnD....?

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #31 on: 03 Sep 2005, 16:43 »

D&D came years before Warcraft.

SeanBateman

D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #32 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:24 »

I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic. He knows a lot about RPG's, and is DMing the campaign I am about to start. If he was being serious, I hate him now.

MysteriumTremendum

D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #33 on: 03 Sep 2005, 19:20 »

Deary me, I'm still living in the dark ages and have thus far refused to migrate to 3rd Ed. D&D, partly because I don't like D20 but mostly because I'm tighter than a duck's bum. Mind you, not really playing it much ATM, too busy with Shadowrun and Call of Cthulu. I'll probably add DDO to my list of MMOs when it comes out though.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #34 on: 03 Sep 2005, 19:22 »

about 20 years before warcraft, actually.
also israel

La Creme

D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #35 on: 04 Sep 2005, 13:46 »

Quote from: Keiffer
I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic. He knows a lot about RPG's, and is DMing the campaign I am about to start. If he was being serious, I hate him now.

Of course I was kidding mans! The world is built and the adventure is about 1/3 done. It is going to rock so hard.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
D&D Character Questions!
« Reply #36 on: 04 Sep 2005, 19:15 »

Oh.

My Character being what he is, does not believe in forgivness. If there is a transgression, there is swift and brutal retribution.

The Druidic Tribunal that judged my character put him under the effect of "Quest" the spell, and commanded him to learn to forgive.

I hate my DM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up