THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 13:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ANIMATION!  (Read 9336 times)

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
ANIMATION!
« on: 05 Sep 2005, 07:42 »

Ganked from the post in "Don't be stupid":

So we started talking about Rejection in there, I believe this is more appropriate?  I too saw the animation festival and it was indeed for the awesome, except for those couple of slow ones before the japanese candy/explosion cartoon.  I had seen Rejected before too and thought that was most hilarious.  So, what other animations have you guys seen out there (yes, we can go beyond Disney and Anime!) that really got you to go "Wow that's interesting."  Bill Plimpton has always been one I enjoy watching too, ever since the days of Liquid TV....

Tinjessla

ANIMATION!
« Reply #1 on: 05 Sep 2005, 09:39 »

Oooh! I like this topic.

Classic animators such as Jan Svankmajer and The Quay Brothers do excellent work, so i urge people to go check them out. Very highly recommended for any stop-motion lovers.

Another stop-motion short i like was done by one of my tutors, Lizzie Oxby. She entered a short for the Edinburgh Film festival a while ago, entitled 'Extension. 21'. I'm not too sure if it won, but it's a beautifully eerie animation all the same. I think that's floating around the web somewhere.

Ooh yes, and there's this little half hour short called 'Flatworld' which is..well...amazing. It's what made me want to become an animator. I think it may be a British thing though, due to it being shown one Christmas, many years ago on BBC2's animation slot. Does anyone remember it? Add to that the fact there hasn't been any DVD release of it and the result is a near impossible animation to find.

Gotta say, i'm more of a fan of animation for music promos, with companies such as Passion Pictures, Shynola, Plates Animation and Airside being favourites. Some of the most unique animation can be seen through music videos.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
interesting animation
« Reply #2 on: 05 Sep 2005, 14:27 »

Prince Achmed, the world's first feature-length cartoon. (Disney likes to take the credit, but THEY LIE)

The 75-minute film was made in 1926 using paper cut-outs; the entire film is in silhouette. It's a fascinating film to look at.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Simulacra

ANIMATION!
« Reply #3 on: 06 Sep 2005, 22:31 »

where's a good site to go to find a collection of short animations?  i'm a huge fan of the short film (having a short attention span) but have no idea where to start looking.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
ANIMATION!
« Reply #4 on: 06 Sep 2005, 22:46 »

If none of you have ever seen Rex Steele: Nazi Smasher you should really check it out.  Though it's only a short it's really something.

Tinjessla

ANIMATION!
« Reply #5 on: 07 Sep 2005, 05:24 »

Quote from: Simulacra
where's a good site to go to find a collection of short animations?  i'm a huge fan of the short film (having a short attention span) but have no idea where to start looking.

Screenhead is pretty cool. It's one of those 'Links to lots of cool things' sites, but they link to short films quite a lot.

'Boards is more of a commercial site, but it links to some interesting shorts.

And there are some British animation schemes which showcase some of the best in current animators such as animate! and Mesh

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
ANIMATION!
« Reply #6 on: 08 Sep 2005, 07:04 »

You people entirely rock.  is anyone else a little thrown by the prevalence in using Flash (Mucha Lucha, Newgrounds) lately?

Tinjessla

ANIMATION!
« Reply #7 on: 08 Sep 2005, 07:45 »

I suppose as long as it's done well, like Mucha Lucha and Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, there isn't a problem. I don't know about Newsgrounds as i haven't been on there for a good while, but i distinctly remember only a handful of well done Flash animations in a sea of awful stick figure-ry things.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
ANIMATION!
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2005, 14:45 »

Hmmmm...... suggestions for animation from non-asian countries and non- US?  (I've seen the triplets of Belleville... that was beautiful)

JLM

ANIMATION!
« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2005, 15:27 »

Check out Aardman animations: They're responsible for Wallace & Gromit, Chicken Run and one of my all time favorite shorts, Creature Comforts.  They're based out of the UK.

Also, Canada has won a number of academy awards for their animated short films.  One of my favorites was "The Sweater."

La Creme

ANIMATION!
« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2005, 18:03 »

Quote from: Simulacra
where's a good site to go to find a collection of short animations? i'm a huge fan of the short film (having a short attention span) but have no idea where to start looking.

Google for Ninjai: The Little Ninja. It is a great little animated series. Homestar Runner is always fun too.

Threatis

ANIMATION!
« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2005, 18:32 »

I'm a big fan of New York style animation from the 20's through the 40's. Felix The Cat, and Betty Boop and things of the sort. It was so surreal and odd for its time, and even seems really subversive and off kilter now.

the funny thing is, from watching documentaries on it, you realize that alot of the bit characters where based off of people from that era, famous people, actors, singers, and politicians. The problem is, the references have been lost over the years, so we dont really "get" the joke anymore.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
ANIMATION!
« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2005, 18:38 »

I will attest to Ninjai!  Heard about it at Anime Central.  It was Secks on a Platter.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
ANIMATION!
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2005, 11:16 »

Anyone remember Reboot?  Oh man, Bob and Dot Matrix, Enzo Matrix, Glitch... as silly as the premise was I'm really pleased at having the last episode on tape.

(Yes, this is an old thread.  Yes, i want to revive it since it covers a particular genre)

Tinjessla

ANIMATION!
« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2005, 11:25 »

Reboot rocked my socks! Hexadecimal scared the bejesus out of me when i was little. Those switching faces...

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
ANIMATION!
« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2005, 11:36 »

*sigh* yeah, cartoon network played it when they were still getting off the ground before they made their own material.  And when they still played DBZ...

Jetix on Fox channel is more what CN used to be.  I do like the new stuff, but I get nostalgic.

Stifled Dreams

ANIMATION!
« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2005, 14:53 »

Quote from: Tinjessla
Jan Svankmajer

YES. One of my favorite animators ever.

Anyways, I've seen so many shorts that I've liked that I can't keep track of the creators. I really should start keeping a list, though.

I wish I knew how to animate, but I don't think I could ever stick with a project long enough to produce an enjoyable result. That is just the type of person I am.

jariku

ANIMATION!
« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2005, 23:44 »

Some wonderful finnish animations are available at: Pixoff

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
ANIMATION!
« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2005, 11:52 »

I'll have to check these out.

Now, I think it's Gainax that did FLCL?  And they did Evangelion also?  Anyone find their stuff SLIGHTLY off kilter?  (Even if that's what it's supposed to be, I'm just saying)

JLM

ANIMATION!
« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2005, 14:10 »

The problem I've found with Gainax is that they seem to run short on money at some point during the project and have to compensate for long stretches of zero animation (and, in His & Her Circumstances, a very odd sequence involving paper dolls)

Other than that...is anyone else excited for Aaron McGruder's Boondocks cartoon on November 6th?  If they can maintain the edge that the comics have it should be excellent.

keyoung

• Plantmonster
ANIMATION!
« Reply #20 on: 16 Oct 2005, 21:28 »

I really like the work that Flat Black Films does.  (Yes, I am aware that most people who saw it violently disliked Waking Life.)
I'm also a huge fan of William Kentridge.  Unfortunately, you can't really see his work outside of an art museum.  He does amazing charcoal drawings which he photographs and then erases and draws over -- so you get all kinds of neat eraser marks and old drawing reminants that become part of the animation.  His works look like animated wood cut prints.
(And I totally second the recommendations of Jan Svankmajer and The Quay Brothers).

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
ANIMATION!
« Reply #21 on: 16 Oct 2005, 23:13 »

Ya know what, I love rotoscope and Waking Life had that going for it when I watched it.  It was a little over my head, but only because for a movie like that I need to be in a particular mood.  However, Ralph Bakshi.  American Pop, Heavy Metal, that one series on HBO, he has some crazy source material to work with sometimes but it is very distinct.  I do like his work on that alone.  I can watch something and go "that's definitely Ralph Bakshi".
Pages: [1]   Go Up