THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Song of Fire and Ice Series  (Read 36925 times)

Justin

A Song of Fire and Ice Series
« Reply #100 on: 15 Mar 2006, 00:22 »

Quote from: RedLeather
So, Who here wants to speculate what's going to happen in a Dance With Dragons? Or should we even speculate, and just keep quiet and wait for the book?

i'd love to speculate, alas, i haven't read a feast for crows yet :(

Quote from: Electric Monk
I am going seriously frikkin' insane... I don't have the money to buy A Feast For Crows, all the copies at the library are checked out, and none of my friends own the book! GAH.

if you're reeeally antsy you could use a barnes and noble or borders or other bookstore as a library. i see people reading in there all the time, you're just "browsing" ;)

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #101 on: 19 Mar 2006, 15:06 »

I'm going to be as vague as I can to avoid spoiling, but people who've read the books should be able to guess what I'm talking about.

Qyburn was stripped of his maester's chain for a reason, and that reason just became significant.
    Sandor Clegane appears in AFfC... but you may not recognise him.
    The connection between the Stark children and their direwolves is more subtle than you think.
    The standing theory is that Jon Snow's parents were Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.  Not exactly subtle, really, which is why I think it's not the truth.
    Arya is one of the only characters whose plotline is split between AFfC and ADwD.  Most of the rest, you won't see much of until book six.
    I suspect Dany's three dragonriders will mirror the original three.[/list:u]
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

RedLeather

« Reply #102 on: 19 Mar 2006, 16:19 »

Hehe, I think the dragons are interesting in this particular book, Being there are only three...and I really want to see what happens to Arya after her..incident?

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #103 on: 20 Mar 2006, 09:43 »

I can't be bothered at the moment to read the whole 100+ post thread about this, but I do have a question, and I'd like some feedback. I apologize in advance if it's already been asked in the thread.

Was anyone else disappointed in A Feast for Crows? I was terribly disappointed. Too much goddamned exposition. I'm really hoping that A Dance with Dragons attempts to bring closure... I finished the book and immediately said "That's it?!"

Yes, yes, yes, I know that George R. R. Martin wanted AFfC and ADwD to be one book, they mirror each other, etc. etc., blah blah blah... Nonetheless, I was still disappointed.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

RedLeather

« Reply #104 on: 20 Mar 2006, 18:26 »

I was, in a way, but at least it's the stepping stone to ADwD

Lannister

Re: A Song of Fire and Ice Series
« Reply #105 on: 07 Oct 2006, 15:56 »

A feast for crows is going to make alot more sence once and dance of dragons comes out cause you really got ti read those two books as as one as they where intended.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #106 on: 08 Oct 2006, 03:42 »

Thanks for sharing that. Here was me thinking, oh man, he just forgot to write half the book.

Alarra

« Reply #107 on: 08 Oct 2006, 08:09 »

I was slightly disappointed as well. I mean, it was still a great book, but it wasn't 'can't put it down' great. It took me much longer than I'd anticipated to read it.

I much look forward to ADwD

bff

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #108 on: 17 Oct 2006, 21:03 »

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed AFfC, I gotta say I wasn't to excited by "Oh yeah, that person who was a major character with his own chapters and everything?  Yeah, he's dead" just getting slipped in 3/4ers of the way through the book.

nihilist

« Reply #109 on: 18 Oct 2006, 08:40 »

Yeah.  Fuck RR up his stupid ass.  The last book was only half of a book, and the shite half that I could have done without.  All the important characters were totally ignored.  Balls to that.

You want a series, you go read Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.  That's more like it.

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #110 on: 18 Oct 2006, 10:46 »

Yeah.  Fuck RR up his stupid ass.  The last book was only half of a book, and the shite half that I could have done without.

You want a series, you go read Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.  That's more like it.

Yeah -at least when Erikson writes only half a book, he starts the series with it. 
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Coonstar

« Reply #111 on: 12 Nov 2006, 11:08 »

Fantastic series. I had just finished reading Storm of Swords, I have A Feast for Crows but I think I'll take a break from this series for a bit. Arya, as insane as she is, is still one of my favourite characters. I'm really glad how Jon's arc in the Storm of Swords ended, it ties at least one arc up while everything else is just a ridiculous ambigious cliff-hanger.

And Littlefinger is such a sleazy bastard.

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #112 on: 12 Nov 2006, 18:54 »

my science fiction teacher down here at columbia college is really close friends with him.  her review from the chicago tribune (i think) is quoted on "A Game of Thrones."  And I think A Storm Of Swords is the one that he dedicated to her (should say to Phyllis Eisenstein).

I loved Game of Thrones.  That is a random book I picked up.  Literally walked into a bookstore, right into the science fiction section, grabbed the first book I could find on the shelf and read half of it on a 6 hour busride.  It was amazing.

Fiddler

« Reply #113 on: 13 Nov 2006, 00:12 »

my user name ring any bells?

nihilist

« Reply #114 on: 13 Nov 2006, 01:32 »

Don't blow me up?

Coonstar

« Reply #115 on: 13 Dec 2006, 00:50 »

Homg. I finished A Feast for Crows. I am going to be major spoilering, so no reading my entry unless you want to be spoiled.

Qyburn was stripped of his maester's chain for a reason, and that reason just became significant.
--> Does he revive the Mountain's corpse and do some major hey-let's-make-a-huge-undead-champion-that's-supposedly-undefeatable? Would Cersei eventually permit him to use it for her when Jaime doesn't come? I SURE HOPE CERSEI DIES.

Sandor Clegane appears in AFfC... but you may not recognise him.
--> Does the lord of light have his way with him too?

The connection between the Stark children and their direwolves is more subtle than you think.
--> How much more subtle can it get? It would be so awesome when Bran learns how to control the other direwolves, not just Summer.

The standing theory is that Jon Snow's parents were Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.  Not exactly subtle, really, which is why I think it's not the truth.
--> Yeah if Jon's father was Rhaegar, you'd think he'd have more Targaryen features, you know, the violet eyes and silvery hair. He's just all Stark. Not sure if this standing theory makes a lot of sense either, but I don't believe that Eddard is Jon's father either.

Arya is one of the only characters whose plotline is split between AFfC and ADwD.  Most of the rest, you won't see much of until book six.
--> Sweet, so we get twice of Arya? She is my favourite character, and I'd like to see whether that blindness is permanent or not. Man, she sure kills people quickly.

I suspect Dany's three dragonriders will mirror the original three.
--> I think Dany's force would only land in Westeros by the end of Dance with Dragons.

Also, I DON'T think Brienne dies.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up