THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Nano  (Read 24996 times)

thew

iPod Nano
« on: 07 Sep 2005, 13:36 »

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

Very cool, can't wait to see one in person. But I don't know why they dropped the iPod Mini line. It was their best seller and I'm sure the colors played a big part in that. Couldn't this have simply been a next generation Mini? Don't see the reasoning for the new name/no colors.

Boo-urns to the phone.

And I'd wish they'd integrate album art better into iTunes. There's a freeware called Clutter that has a clever interface. But no, we've reached iTunes 5 now and there's still not much point to importing album art.

CarbonatedWeasel

iPod Nano
« Reply #1 on: 07 Sep 2005, 18:14 »

woah, thats like tiny. thats... thats impossible!  Holy crap I want one

name not needed

iPod Nano
« Reply #2 on: 07 Sep 2005, 19:34 »

I think I'd be more comfortable with an mp3 player I can't break in half with my hands.

SeanBateman

iPod Nano
« Reply #3 on: 07 Sep 2005, 19:49 »

It is dumb in one sense, the mini's were dumb, these are dumber sense. But the black ones look sleek as all hell

normz

iPod Nano
« Reply #4 on: 07 Sep 2005, 19:56 »

oh man i soooo want (damn my poverty) *sigh* what i really need is an ipod buying sugar daddy

Lug

iPod Nano
« Reply #5 on: 07 Sep 2005, 23:28 »

Damn that's thin!

salada

• Curry sauce
iPod Nano
« Reply #6 on: 08 Sep 2005, 00:01 »

4gb flash drives like WHAT!!?

but it seems like the scrollwheel would be a bit finicky at that size.

Garcin

iPod Nano
« Reply #7 on: 08 Sep 2005, 00:52 »

Oooh, I just bought my 3d full iPod in three months (lost one, gave one to little brother for b-day) so I cannot justify this.  But I really want it so bad.  Maybe it and my Razr could get jiggy with it and have extremely cool looking mp3/phone kids.

*ahem*

Quote from: normz
what i really need is an ipod buying sugar daddy

I'd totally volunteer, I really would, but your location either means you're in a maximum security prison or on the other side of the world, and either way it could never work.  No such thing as long-distance arm-candy :(  Sorry.

SeanBateman

iPod Nano
« Reply #8 on: 08 Sep 2005, 01:15 »

Moiche, think those kids would look something like This?

TheLoweringTide

iPod Nano
« Reply #9 on: 08 Sep 2005, 02:00 »

Quote from: SeanBateman
Moiche, think those kids would look something like This?
Only if they had birth defects.  Not as cool looking as the RAZR (which isn't all that cool looking to begin with) and a measly 512MB of storage is hardly worthy of iPod comparisons.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
iPod Nano
« Reply #10 on: 08 Sep 2005, 04:40 »

I bought my original FAT 15GB iPod when it first came out and im perfectly happy with it. I Loooooove that it's big, i looooooooove that the only thing it does is play music, i looooooooove that it doesn't have that horrendous looking click wheel and i looooooove the feeling i get, knowing that i bought it first with my own hard earned cash.

Bah to these new ones i say. Bah Meh and see you tomorrow.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Garcin

iPod Nano
« Reply #11 on: 08 Sep 2005, 05:31 »

Quote from: TheLoweringTide
Only if they had birth defects.  Not as cool looking as the RAZR (which isn't all that cool looking to begin with) and a measly 512MB of storage is hardly worthy of iPod comparisons.

I swear I was going to write "only if the children turn out to be retarded" and then I read the next comment.  Damn you TheLoweringTide.  Damn you for being right.

Honestly -- 100 songs on the "ROKR"?  100 songs?! SeanBateman  In my home!  In my bedroom where my wife sleeps! Where my children come and play with their toys! In my home!

That's not right.  That's not fair.  Picking 100 songs would be like Sophie's Choice, but 100 times.

SpacemanSpiff

iPod Nano
« Reply #12 on: 08 Sep 2005, 07:36 »

Eh, I don't know. It's just another flash-based player, they're all tiny. Why is everyone so excited about this?
Also, let's face it, 4GB are simply not enough.

From what I gathered, they dropped the iPod Mini line because it had a harddisk, which is more expensive and less robust. Also, they got the flash memory for an extremely low price thanks to a contract with Samsung (who happens to be the world's biggest flash memory manufacturer) and I bet for the price, Samsung made sure they weren't alowed to buy any similar products that might compete with the Samsung flash.

thew

iPod Nano
« Reply #13 on: 08 Sep 2005, 10:02 »

I understand why they switched from hard disk to flash, I was wondering why they dropped the name and colors of their most popular iPod. "Nano" is cold, slick and technonerdy while "Mini" is playful, simple and relates to other products in the mac lineup. I don't know, it feels like they're stretching it brand-name-wise, we've had: iPod, iPod U2 Special Edition, iPod Photo, iPod Mini, iPod Shuffle and now the iPod Nano. Jobs saved the company by simplifying and consolidating their products, but now he might be losing sight of that.

Micolithe

iPod Nano
« Reply #14 on: 08 Sep 2005, 10:18 »

I don't see the point in this new iPod. The original wasn't exactly huge. However, the ratio of cost to capacity makes it not worth it. Just buy a 20 gig iPod or Zen Touch and be done with it. Sure, it looks cool, but 2 or 4 gigs? No, that's not gonna cut it.

Jarne

iPod Nano
« Reply #15 on: 08 Sep 2005, 12:44 »

I don't want to spend 200 dollars on something the cat can swallow.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
iPod Nano
« Reply #16 on: 08 Sep 2005, 16:23 »

I'm holding out for the iPod femto.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
iPod Nano
« Reply #17 on: 08 Sep 2005, 16:31 »

The 4th gen regular Ipod can play Doom at 3fps. Why buy that little gizmo, when you can play Doom, people?!
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
iPod Nano
« Reply #18 on: 08 Sep 2005, 20:32 »

Quote from: GebStar
I bought my original FAT 15GB iPod when it first came out and im perfectly happy with it. I Loooooove that it's big, i looooooooove that the only thing it does is play music, i looooooooove that it doesn't have that horrendous looking click wheel and i looooooove the feeling i get, knowing that i bought it first with my own hard earned cash.

Bah to these new ones i say. Bah Meh and see you tomorrow.

I'm with you on that.  I hate the click wheels.  Whenever I look at a friends ipod I have no idea how to operate it because I'm so used to operating the touch wheel.  Makes me feel pretty stupid at times.

Edit:  I also learned a long time ago that when activated, the backlight feature lights up my whole room.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

tails

iPod Nano
« Reply #19 on: 09 Sep 2005, 00:16 »

i have a G3 40 gb ipod so i dont want this at all! why'd they go to the ipod style, it'll be too easy to scratch and dent (maybe that is part of their plan?). the mini had the nice steel casing and recessed screen. in my eyes, they took a step back design-wise.

also, the headphones plug into the bottom now! does anyone know if they still have a port on the top for other headphones, or is this another apple money-squeezing plot?

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
iPod Nano
« Reply #20 on: 09 Sep 2005, 12:19 »

I like it, and would choose it over my shuffle, but I want a full size iPod for mah music!
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Threatis

iPod Nano
« Reply #21 on: 10 Sep 2005, 04:50 »

i put in my order for a nano today!

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #22 on: 10 Sep 2005, 07:08 »

This looks absolutely positively worthless. Why would Apple come out with another shitty product? If you look at the tech specs (the hardcore tech specs) and compare it to my Creative Zen Micro there is no comparison. And the Micro was only 177. Hmm...Correct me if I'm wrong but I think for the 200-some dollars the Nano is selling for? Hm. Worthless.

Anyways, don't get me started on the cell-phone IPod or whatever.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
iPod Nano
« Reply #23 on: 10 Sep 2005, 07:41 »

Ipod? More liek gaypod, amirite?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2005, 07:51 »

Where is my god now?

He's the post above this one. KharBevNor is my new Jesus.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
iPod Nano
« Reply #25 on: 10 Sep 2005, 08:01 »

<3

NN2S refs aside, the iPod is a fashion accessory, nothing more. The concentration of people in this thread over the looks of the thing (as opposed to, say, reliability, durability, ergonomics or sound quality) is pretty damning proof. People buy iPods just because they are pink or sleek or small. And on that point, why on earth do you have to make it smaller? Is their a new fashion for impractically small pockets that makes it impossible to put a normal sized mp3 player in one? Jeez people. Making it smaller just makes the screen and controls fiddly and impractical.

Just about the only thing iPod could do to get me to buy one would be to put an auto-scanning DAB radio inside it. Even then I'd probably wait for Sony's one.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Garcin

iPod Nano
« Reply #26 on: 10 Sep 2005, 08:56 »

Khar, some of us got to go around in suit slacks all day, and it would be nice to have a 1000 song mp3 player without the inevitable "is that an mp3 player in your pants or are you just happy to see me?"

Hence the nano -- really fucking thin and less likely to cause a bulge.  Also non-skippable.

As for these mp3 players being a fashion accessory -- did you just figure this out right now?  'Cuz its not really an epiphany.  Yes -- something you carry around with you every day should look really sleek -- even at the expense of functionality.  That's not sacriligious -- it's aesthetic.

Edit: Fuck the radio.  Repeat after me: fuck the radio .  If I wanted to listen to the fucking radio, then I wouldn't have spent all that time & money to assemble a music collection that would make a grown man weep.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
iPod Nano
« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2005, 10:39 »

a: I like BBC 4 and BBC 7. I like OneWord. Radio /= Music. I want to be able to listen to comedy, documentaries and most importantly the fucking news on the move. Ok?

Point b: have you not discovered the belt holster/clip for your mp3 player? Do iPods even come with one, or do you have to dance around like a fool holding it all the time?

Finally, my main point is not that an MP3 player should be some sort of electromechanical hair-shirt (I can't remember ever seeing an ugly mp3 player) but that choosing an mp3 player that is expensive, finicky, prone to damage and has poorer sound quality and functionality than it's rivals, simply because it looks better, or worse, simply because it's an iPod and iPods are like, the coolest thing ever to upload your podcasts too, is frankly retarded. It's like buying a flashy looking car with crap handling, ergonomics, and fuel economy, or a swish looking computer with a crap processor and RAM and a load of pre-installed software. Don't get me started on itunes either.

Also, anyone who bought the iPod shuffle succintly admits they don't really like music, they just want a cheap iPod.

Garcin

iPod Nano
« Reply #28 on: 10 Sep 2005, 22:03 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Point b: have you not discovered the belt holster/clip for your mp3 player? Do iPods even come with one, or do you have to dance around like a fool holding it all the time?

You got your blackberry hanging from your belt.  You got your cardkey/magkey hanging from your belt.  The last thing you want is another fucking thing hanging from your belt.  The mechanics of something being in your pocket without looking like you stuffed a fucking poodle into your pants is a wonderful thing.  Just trust me on this one.

Also, anyone who bought the iPod shuffle succintly admits they don't really like music, they just want a cheap iPod.

That's complete bullshit. I have a 60gb ipod and an ipod shuffle.  Why?  Because I run long distance, and the shuffle is tiny, imperceptible, and synchs off of iTunes.  

The lesson here is that not everyone gives a crap about practically imperceptible technical differences in accessories.  iPods are popular because they are great looking devices -- far better looking than any other mp3 player on the market.  But they have a hard drive.  This is a problem because hard drives are (a) fragile and (b) skip.  So an iPod without a harddrive (ie. the one discussed in this thread) is a great idea.

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #29 on: 10 Sep 2005, 22:19 »

Thou shalt not argue with Tedd's god, in fear of being smoteneth. Or some such bullshit.

Anyways, I like the radio. My Zen Micro is a fine size- 1200 songs, you can get more info at the creative site. I think you can figure that out on your own. I like Q104. I like JACKFM. I like news channels.

And why the fuck did you buy a 60gb Ipod? Do you know that many songs? Do you know someone who knows that many songs? I think not. I hope your waste of at least two hundred dollars makes you feel good inside. What matters here is the fact that you're wasting money on something that has more space than you need. Why not do a little marketing research? I'm sure you've done so, right? Absolutely. So, assuming you've done some research, why DID you buy the Ipod when there are cheaper, better things out there?

Hm. Food for the brain.

Leonsantos

Its Ok
« Reply #30 on: 10 Sep 2005, 22:48 »

But The Creative* Cubes Are A Better Deal
Not Sure if Its Creative*
1gb for $100
the nanos are 2gb for $300

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #31 on: 10 Sep 2005, 23:28 »

Never heard of Creative CUBE. I'll check out.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
iPod Nano
« Reply #32 on: 10 Sep 2005, 23:51 »

Screw iPods...
I'm hanging out for Blu-ray discmen. A Blu-ray disc can hold 54 gig therefore I could hold both my harddrives on two discs and have multiple back-up copies in case of damage, theft or other.
Heck, even a DVD discman would be good.
I would honestly need a 60GB iPod to hold all my music but realistically there's no way I could listen to all of it.
And really, what is the point of a colour screen? Photos just eat into my music storage space. I would buy an iRiver but they have crappy service and are as prone to dying as iPods...
Yeah.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
iPod Nano
« Reply #33 on: 11 Sep 2005, 07:34 »

My Zen is better than you and your trendy ipods. FOR THE WIN
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
iPod Nano
« Reply #34 on: 11 Sep 2005, 07:57 »

I don't like the sound quality on the zens. It just sounds BAD.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
iPod Nano
« Reply #35 on: 11 Sep 2005, 09:33 »

Again, 4th gen Ipods can play DOOM at 3fps. What the hell are all of you waiting for? Its just like DOOM, except for slightly heavier chop!
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #36 on: 11 Sep 2005, 10:20 »

?

I think the sound quality is pretty decent, why do you say that? Listening to mine right now it's clear as a bell. Maybe it's your headphones?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
iPod Nano
« Reply #37 on: 11 Sep 2005, 14:40 »

What the fuck? My sound quality is really good. I think you just suck and failed. Stop failing. Failure.

But seriously; You failed.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #38 on: 11 Sep 2005, 18:59 »

WOW. New sig.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
iPod Nano
« Reply #39 on: 11 Sep 2005, 19:40 »

have you not discovered the belt holster/clip for your mp3 player? Do iPods even come with one, or do you have to dance around like a fool holding it all the time?

My iPod came with a belt clip, but I don't think the newer ones do.  I believe that this is because they have discovered that belt clips are awful.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
iPod Nano
« Reply #40 on: 11 Sep 2005, 19:40 »

QUOTATIONS FTW!

Awesome.

Mnementh

iPod Nano
« Reply #41 on: 11 Sep 2005, 21:17 »

Play nice.

*waves mod stick menacingly*

(also, I agree with a lot of what Moiche said upthread.)

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
iPod Nano
« Reply #42 on: 11 Sep 2005, 23:38 »

Pfft, iPods.  Walking around in your own little musical world is the quickest way to get run over by a car.  If I'm out and about I like to listen to what's going on around me; if I'm on public transport and I need entertainment I eavesdrop on the conversation behind me.

Garcin

iPod Nano
« Reply #43 on: 12 Sep 2005, 01:12 »

Quote from: Tedd
And why the fuck did you buy a 60gb Ipod? Do you know that many songs? Do you know someone who knows that many songs? I think not.

Heh.  I have an ample classical music collection that I like to rip at a higher bitrate.  60gb fills up fast.  I imagine that most people would make use of it by using a lossless format, or simply using it as a portable harddrive.

Micolithe

iPod Nano
« Reply #44 on: 12 Sep 2005, 05:36 »

I'd love a 60 gig ipod. I plan on hitting 60 gigs of MP3s before the year is out

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #45 on: 12 Sep 2005, 08:39 »

That's like saying "I plan on murdering 40k people before the day is out." Are you a terrorist? Are you? Huh? Huh?

I should work for the FBI. Oh yeah.

Mnementh

iPod Nano
« Reply #46 on: 12 Sep 2005, 08:56 »

Quote from: Moiche
Quote from: Tedd
And why the fuck did you buy a 60gb Ipod? Do you know that many songs? Do you know someone who knows that many songs? I think not.

Heh.  I have an ample classical music collection that I like to rip at a higher bitrate.  60gb fills up fast.  I imagine that most people would make use of it by using a lossless format, or simply using it as a portable harddrive.

I know several people with music collections ranging in the several hundred gig area. 60 Gb is nothing.

Tedd, stop being an ass, people will take you more seriously if you address people nicely and aren't condescending.

Plus, you're pissing me off and making it more likely that I wil lock this thread.  Do I make myself clear?

RedLeather

iPod Nano
« Reply #47 on: 12 Sep 2005, 09:05 »

It's odd, looking at the Ipod line, i'm struck by a thought.

If you walked into the design bearu of Apple....would you find A) Mp3 Player designers

or

B) Fashion Designers who know little about the storage needs of the individual person?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
iPod Nano
« Reply #48 on: 12 Sep 2005, 09:13 »

My girlfriend just got on iPod Mini.  She decided on a pink one.  *sigh*

She has such a reflexive hatred of Apple products that it took her two days to work up the nerve to open the box.  Then she plugged it into her iBook (it took 3 days before she was "ready" for me to help her setup that) and the music uploaded automatically.  Convert!

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
iPod Nano
« Reply #49 on: 12 Sep 2005, 09:19 »

Mine's getting here tomorrow.

Arguing over consumer electronics just makes you look like an idiot.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up