THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 20:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Nano  (Read 25956 times)

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #50 on: 12 Sep 2005, 10:37 »

No, running around in a bear suit screaming sub-90s comedy quotes makes you look like an idiot. Arguing over consumer electronics makes Jesus cry. :)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
iPod Nano
« Reply #51 on: 12 Sep 2005, 11:35 »

Don't make me use my 3g iPod as a cudgel.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #52 on: 12 Sep 2005, 12:54 »

If a hard surface such as my head broke under something made by Apple, I would have to cut off my dude-bits and carry them around in a pink fanny pack.

Mnementh

iPod Nano
« Reply #53 on: 12 Sep 2005, 13:54 »

I would like to point you to this then.  That little sucker can survive being run over by a car, twice.

Can you?

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #54 on: 12 Sep 2005, 15:31 »

Suprisingly, yes. I can.

Okay, maybe not twice. But my aunt hit me with her car once and I'm still posting.

thehoopiestfrood

iPod Nano
« Reply #55 on: 12 Sep 2005, 16:03 »

Quote from: Mnementh
I would like to point you to this then.  That little sucker can survive being run over by a car, twice.

That seems slightly like a waste. I'd have had it!

dinosrawr

iPod Nano
« Reply #56 on: 12 Sep 2005, 16:35 »

It seems like a thin iPod Nano would be able to survive being run over by a car instead of say, a 60gb iPod. I dunno if that is true, maybe i am using some twisted logic here.

salada

• Curry sauce
iPod Nano
« Reply #57 on: 12 Sep 2005, 17:33 »

slightly twisted, maybe: i'm guessing a flash EEPROM chip with no moving parts could take much less damage than a hard drive with it's platters and needles and so on.

a friend of mine got one the other day (the black ones come with white earbuds! wtf?). it's really, really small. photos don't do it justice -- if you want to see how small one is, go out and buy one or drop into an apple store or something. so in conclusion: so. small.

biggest problem i can think of is people putting these suckers through the wash with their jeans.

and to all the ipod haters: yes it's sleek, shiny, and probably a little overpriced, but you get the full force of apple's hardware+software engineers and industrial design department in there. the controls are simple but intuitive, the interface is really well thought out, and the whole thing is pretty beautiful + functional (and on top of all that, it can run linux :P ). i don't care how many extra functions your creative whatsajigger has on it, if it's got tiny buttons and confusing menus i don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

(and was anyone else a bit confused when sony chose the SAME DAY AS APPLE to launch their new player? way to make sure you get absolutely no media attention, guys. except for all those stories saying how stupid you were to launch a product on the same day as apple.)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
iPod Nano
« Reply #58 on: 12 Sep 2005, 19:05 »

Quote from: Tedd
But my aunt hit me with her car once and I'm still posting.

much to our chagrin.

if you actually compare the prices instead of listening to anti-iPod hyperbole then you'll find that the iPod is quite competitively-priced.  at least this is correct as of a couple weeks ago, in Australia.  i was helping a friend shop around for something other than an iPod, because i was starting to buy into the anti-iPod hype.  he is a cynical bastard, and he had an answer for everything that i threw at him.

over here at least, iPods are on a par with the other players, look sexy, have a build quality that i know i can trust, and are exceptionally easy to use.

like everything else in the world it pretty much comes down to your own personal preference as to what kind of player you want.  calling someone an idiot for having an opinion is pretty dumb!

nihilist

iPod Nano
« Reply #59 on: 12 Sep 2005, 19:32 »

I piss on Apple!  Piss on it with the flaming gasoline that comes out of my penis!  Nothing new here, just another flash player with a premium price, and a wad of trend to it.  Other companies have been making them for a long time.  I bought my Rio Carbon (5GB flash) a long while back, and have been loving it ever since.  I cried when the news broke that they were getting out of the business.  Cried like a little baby.

Next step: that laptop with 1TB of flash-based HD.  Oh yes.  I'll make that my portable-everything.

And to the person on page one who said that they have a blackberry on their belt: if I met you, I'd have to hurt you.  What kind of smelly sysadmin type are you?  Or are you the sleazy marketing type?  Seriously.  Get a satchel and put it in there.  :p

It's a tough time.  I want my all-in-one convergence BB: 10GB MP3 player, 5MP camera, EDGE wireless phone/e-mail client, GPS receiver, etc.  I also want it to be in a package that is small enough to fit into my hand.   Technically could be done within the next two years, except that BB is primarily business-oriented, and thus probably won't put in the camera any time soon.  Though when the new BB comes out in October, I'll be sure to put my grubby paws on one.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
iPod Nano
« Reply #60 on: 12 Sep 2005, 19:38 »

i too share that convergence dream.  i really couldn't care less if i look silly to most, holding my PDA up to my ear to answer the phone.  people, i have a fucking PDA/phone/mp3 player/camera/what-have-you.  seriously, c'mon.

Mnementh

iPod Nano
« Reply #61 on: 12 Sep 2005, 19:52 »

Samsung is well on the way to making all of our flash-memory based wetdreams come true.

nihilist

iPod Nano
« Reply #62 on: 12 Sep 2005, 20:00 »

Yeah, I read the flash news.

But seriously, this is what you want.

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #63 on: 12 Sep 2005, 20:22 »

Dub ha wa whaaaaaat? 1TB of RAM holy shit holy shit holy shit. must have. i'm going to sleep to dream about this thing tonight (right now).

salada

• Curry sauce
iPod Nano
« Reply #64 on: 12 Sep 2005, 20:49 »

trouble with those camera-phone-pda-mp3-radio-email-pager-dongwalker things, is when it breaks, you're out a camera, phone, pda, mp3 player, radio, email thing, pager, and dong walker.

(full disclosure: i have a slight gadget fetish. and a slight backpack fetish. so  i'm not really short of carrying space).

ps. belt clips are for wankerrrrrrrrs

Mnementh

iPod Nano
« Reply #65 on: 12 Sep 2005, 21:06 »

I heard about that notebook on ./, but it was so filled with jargon and buzzwords that I'm going to take it with a large grain of salt until it's been shown not to be snakeoil.

nihilist

iPod Nano
« Reply #66 on: 12 Sep 2005, 21:09 »

When I read about it, the first thing that came to mind was... Phantom.

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #67 on: 12 Sep 2005, 22:41 »

Wehn i read about it, my first thoughts were what I posted.

Now when I read about it, my thoughts are..."Why the hell can't I sleep? Is my room lighting off? Is the matress bad? Is my sleep schedule in order? Does God hate me?"

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
iPod Nano
« Reply #68 on: 12 Sep 2005, 22:48 »

take a look at this picture and tell me why i think it's a fake.

edit: ok, i didn't mean to make that sound so snooty.  unless i am mistaken (which i am pretty sure i am not) it's running Windows XP Professional sp2, a 32-bit OS.   it's made for the IA-32 architecture, which can only address up to 4gb ram.

unless they have some kind of specially-made version of windows, i'm willing to say that at best it's a marketing mock-up, and at worst it's a hoax.

yeah baby!  solar chip! : http://www.compu-technics.com/images/solar%20memory.WMV

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #69 on: 12 Sep 2005, 23:30 »

The thought crossed my mind as well. Although I'm no hardware guy so I can't comment.

joshuasaurus

iPod Nano
« Reply #70 on: 12 Sep 2005, 23:38 »

my 4-gig black nano and grey armband should arrive tomorrow at noon, i'm fairly hotted out about the idea. as for my other ipods, their enthusiasm at playing second (third? fourth?) fiddle is still to be seen.

normz

iPod Nano
« Reply #71 on: 12 Sep 2005, 23:53 »

*sishs* why do you people have up to 4 ipods when i still dont own 1 ..... even my discman finally died the other day! If it wasnt for my laptop i would die from lack of music *hugs laptop* i love  you my little toshy oh yes i do ..... ahhhh my time will come when i will either earn money or get an ipod buying sugar daddy altho the later is probably more likely lol

dinosrawr

iPod Nano
« Reply #72 on: 12 Sep 2005, 23:55 »

::kicks laptop::

normz

iPod Nano
« Reply #73 on: 13 Sep 2005, 05:27 »

pffht you think a mere kick can kill a toshiba satellite .... man they make em tough, my poor laptop gets chucked in my backpack or handbag without any protection(who needs proper laptop bags) and gets smacked around by other miscellanous textbooks and electrical gadgets (cellphone, digital camera, voice recorder, discman, various flash drives and possible video camera) .... ive also dropped it numerous times and even had my mate sit on it and its still going and you think you can crush it with a mere kick ..... how wrong you are MWAHAHAHAH (plus that was a totally randomly bitchy thing to say)

SpacemanSpiff

iPod Nano
« Reply #74 on: 13 Sep 2005, 06:04 »

Quote from: est
edit: ok, i didn't mean to make that sound so snooty.  unless i am mistaken (which i am pretty sure i am not) it's running Windows XP Professional sp2, a 32-bit OS.   it's made for the IA-32 architecture, which can only address up to 4gb ram.

Well, theoretically, even the 32bit version could recognize more than 4gb of RAM, it just couldn't adress it.
I still think it's fake.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
iPod Nano
« Reply #75 on: 13 Sep 2005, 07:20 »

Quote from: nihilist
And to the person on page one who said that they have a blackberry on their belt: if I met you, I'd have to hurt you.  What kind of smelly sysadmin type are you?  Or are you the sleazy marketing type?  Seriously.  Get a satchel and put it in there.

You certainly are a ball of confused durm and strang.  You'll note he mentioned that as a response to one of your fellow anti-iPodders suggesting that belt-clips are an advantage of other players over iPods.

Garcin

iPod Nano
« Reply #76 on: 13 Sep 2005, 07:36 »

Quote from: nihilist
And to the person on page one who said that they have a blackberry on their belt: if I met you, I'd have to try to hurt you.  What kind of smelly sysadmin type are you?  Or are you the sleazy marketing type?  Seriously.  Get a satchel and put it in there.  :p

Fixed that for you.

I'm an attorney, actually.  Carrying a satchel around the office would be . . . impractical.

nihilist

iPod Nano
« Reply #77 on: 13 Sep 2005, 11:02 »

If you took offense at what I said, please recognize that I wasn't serious.  If you want to dangle two, three, or ten things from your belt, please feel free to do so.  I'm sure that the women around you will swoon.

As to the screenshot of WinXP running on that PC...  I'm not sure, I know that there is XP 64, though I don't know if it shows up as the same thing.  Never mind that, they don't say much about the architecture of the chips, so cannot tell if they are running 32-bit mode, 64-bit mode, or emulating them.  They claim to have a booth at CES in January, so it'll be interesting to find out.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
iPod Nano
« Reply #78 on: 13 Sep 2005, 11:29 »

Dear lord, all this talk about clipping stuff to your belt.... I've seen something being sold in boutiques lately called the "Urban Utility Belt" and it has 3 zipper pockets... cell phone, mp3, and...wallet i think.  I'd think they'd be marketing it for men too but the inner lining's all pink and lavender....

Seriously.  I have an iPod and I do enjoy it.  One of the few gadgets I've bought that I use on a regular basis.  I have my reservations on how long the battery's going to last for (supposed to be 3 years rechargeable) but by then I expect I can afford a new one...

But c'mon, Ipod mini, nano, shuffle, soon-to-be video, photo it's like I'm watching Pokemon sometimes.  

*goes to dance his silhouette dance*

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
iPod Nano
« Reply #79 on: 13 Sep 2005, 11:37 »

Quote from: LiterSize
But c'mon, Ipod mini, nano, shuffle, soon-to-be video, photo it's like I'm watching Pokemon sometimes.

iPod Gold, iPod Blue, iPod Gumbo, iPod Burger, iPod Goes Hawaiian...

thew

iPod Nano
« Reply #80 on: 13 Sep 2005, 11:55 »

Quote from: LiterSize
"Urban Utility Belt"

This reminds me of something I saw this summer: Saddlebags. I can't find them online, but I've seen them around LA and in stylish storefronts. It's like a chic fanny pack for women, a hiphugger belt with two slim bags that sit on both hips. I've seen them used by women walking dogs for some reason. Anyway, my friends and I were just like "there's no way this will catch on...right?"

thehoopiestfrood

iPod Nano
« Reply #81 on: 13 Sep 2005, 14:58 »

Is it wrong that I'd be willing to wear a utility belt if it looked like this but obviously for adult type stuff? ;)

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
iPod Nano
« Reply #82 on: 13 Sep 2005, 15:10 »

You wouldn't be alone, hoopy.  I wanted to get the utility belt that comes with the batman costume, (costume and all!) but my gf pulled me away before I crossed the threshold.  I kind of thank her for that, since the thing would barely wrap around my thigh.

I'm American, but the usage of  "fanny pack" is making me snicker uncontrollably.

*snicker!*

CRAP on-topiccakes!

I got a belt clip with the iPod case I bought, but rarely ever use it, electing to keep my iPod in my bag.

Garcin

iPod Nano
« Reply #83 on: 13 Sep 2005, 16:22 »

Ah, the plight of the urban cowboy.  No horse, but you have to carry the following things:

--house keys
--mp3 player
--blackberry
--cell phone
--work magkey/cardkey
--wallet

Without resorting to a manpurse/satchel, how can these things be arranged on your person without you looking like an idiot?

Difficulty no. 1:Only Mp3 player, blackberry, cell phone, and work magkey can be worn on belt.  

Difficulty no. 2:Suit slacks.  Only two front pockets and one back pocket can be used.  Only wallet can be placed in back pocket.

Difficulty no. 3:Keys cannot be placed in same pocket as mp3 player or cell phone.

nihilist

iPod Nano
« Reply #84 on: 13 Sep 2005, 16:40 »

a) My BlackBerry is my cell phone.

No b), sadly.

My keychain is rammed.  It even has a bloody RSA keyfob on it.  *sighs*  I cannot dream of putting it into my pockets; gotta jam it in a satchel of some sort.  Wankers.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
iPod Nano
« Reply #85 on: 13 Sep 2005, 16:55 »

The manpurse is where it's at.  I am amused that I still tote my discman and cd's all around even after purchasing a shuffle.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
iPod Nano
« Reply #86 on: 13 Sep 2005, 17:24 »

Yeah, I have a big murse too. But it's badass. I'm going to find patches from bands I enjoy and redecorate it.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
iPod Nano
« Reply #87 on: 13 Sep 2005, 17:28 »

I carry a laptop to work, so that means I have a bag to tote everything in.  Once I'm at work I have a belt-clip for my cell, and I carry the master key in my pocket, and I leave everything else at my desk.

Garcin

iPod Nano
« Reply #88 on: 13 Sep 2005, 19:31 »

I do pretty much the same thing with my briefcase.  But every so often I'm heading out from work to a move or show & feel the need to trek with all the stuff on my person.  These evening usually end with me walking home at 3:00am thinking to myself: "Holy shit, I've got $1.5k in electronics strapped to my person".

Also: there is no excuse for RSA keyfobs to be as large as they are.  They should (and hopefully will) be the size and width of a credit card or smaller.  Luckily, with the blackberry, there's no need for me to carry one.  With identity theft growing by leaps and bounds, it's just a matter of time before everybody is walking around with a password generator attached to their person -- and hopefully by then someone competent in industrial design will have produced a keyfob that isn't (relatively) huge.  (Of course I'm sure it exists already -- I guess I just wish my shop was using it).

Finally:  Jeez, the more i read about the iPod Nano, the more I want one.  Oooh, and a set of Etymotic ER6i headphones.  Next month. . . .

nihilist

iPod Nano
« Reply #89 on: 13 Sep 2005, 19:47 »

The keyfob isn't too large; about the size of a small pack of wooden matches.  Figure it is about 5cm long, 2cm wide, .5cm deep.  But attached to a keyring it is still a large piece of plastic crap.

blooflame

MP3 Cubists
« Reply #90 on: 15 Sep 2005, 21:10 »

The cube is not from Creative.. it's from Mobiblu as seen in a Gizmodo article,
it's available at WalMart:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/mobiblu-dah1500i-now-at-walmart-115207.php)

Merkava

iPod Nano
« Reply #91 on: 16 Sep 2005, 13:24 »

Wait...

Creative has bad sound quality?

Daaaaayum.

My Zen Micro kicks arse in the sound department. I wish there was some way to make sure the foamy things on the headphones wouldn't come off. I've given up and gotten a pair of Sony wrap-around ("street-style") headphones.

Oh, and 5 gigs is more than enough for me. My NOMAD was 40 Gigs and my entire collection only took up, like, 4 Gigs. XP

Eldirial

iPod Nano
« Reply #92 on: 16 Sep 2005, 13:54 »

I find having 2 mp3 players is nice, fer me.  I have a bigger one (Currently a 15 gig ipod) That holds allmost all of my collection, and I was just handed a 2 gig nano by my school (Yeah for winning raffles) , so that carries the songs I want to listen to on an everyday basis- the 15 gig is for roadtrips and friends dorms/houses.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
iPod Nano
« Reply #93 on: 16 Sep 2005, 14:41 »

Gah, I can't stand any of the ear bud style headphones.  They feel like my ears are being violated.  I'll probably end up getting the Nano eventually, though I figure I might invest torward the Xbox 360 first.

Eldirial

iPod Nano
« Reply #94 on: 16 Sep 2005, 14:47 »

Earbuds- I keep a pair in my bag, for when I forger a pair of good headphones.  I actually had a really nice pair of sony earbuds, great sound, comfortable, and they broke within two months. Good job sony.

Garcin

iPod Nano
« Reply #95 on: 16 Sep 2005, 14:47 »

I physically can't wear earbuds.  For my iPod on the move, I wear Sony MDRJ10s, which have a hook that fits behind the ear.  At home, I listen on a pair of high-end Grados.  Grados are great for discovering new notes in a subtle song.

Still looking forward to getting a pair of Etymotics next month though.  Anyone around here have good/bad experiences with inner-ear earphones?

nihilist

iPod Nano
« Reply #96 on: 16 Sep 2005, 15:38 »

I've got the earbuds that came with my Rio Carbon, otherwise...  I've got some monster JVC headphones, Sony studio ones, Sony DJ ones, and some Senns.  Ooh, but nothing is better then a good pair of Senns for gaming.  I heard you around that far left corner, I did!

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
iPod Nano
« Reply #97 on: 16 Sep 2005, 15:45 »

Eh, all I have are some TDK with the big puffy padding.  They lasted the best out of most recent (eh, past 5 years say) other purchases.

dinosrawr

iPod Nano
« Reply #98 on: 16 Sep 2005, 16:31 »

i hate hate hate the ipod's headphones

i picked up some sony silicon headphone earbuds

Tedd

iPod Nano
« Reply #99 on: 17 Sep 2005, 09:13 »

Sissies. I use some 4" long corded, volume control headphones. The sound quality is crisp, clear, smooth and (insert adjective here).

How much do you think that ran me? 20, maybe thirty bucks?

Bitches.

xD
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up