THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 17:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "Indie" Games or Sleeper Hits  (Read 52295 times)

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
"Indie" Games or Sleeper Hits
« on: 13 Sep 2005, 10:10 »

I loves me some obscure games. A few which im pretty sure most people have not played. Ever.

Robot Alchemic Drive Is awesome, if you have a PS2, and love giant robots, BUY IT. The voices are horrible, but you control a robot realistically, and fight giant robot aliens!

Discuss this and other games of obscure awesomeness.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2005, 10:29 »

Oh man, collecting obscure gems is my hobby.  I go to gameshops to scour the used game racks.  Some of my faves are Space Channel 5, Katamari Damacy, Ico, Tenchu, Soccer Slam, and Phantom Brave.  My crown jewel at the moment is Rez, while my list of titles to watch out for includes

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim, Dark Cloud 2, Ghost Master, Okami, .hack, Bombastic, Mojo, Flipnic, Culdcept, Disgaea, Bard's Tale, Shining Force/Tears, Stella Deus, Freaky Flyers, Robot Alchemic Drive, Jade Cocoon 2, Samurai Jack, Shadow Hearts, Grandia, Okage, Dog's Life, Finny the Fish, Ecco the Dolphin, Escape from Monkey Island, Aqua Aqua, Chulip, Mojib-Ribbon, Magic Pengel, TransWorld Surf, Seaman, Super Farm, Mr. Mosquito, Jak3, Rachet and Clank3, Sly2, Tak, Psychonauts, Zapper, Amplitude, Gitaroo-Man, Kinetica, Yanya Caballista, Red Dead Revolver, Marvel vs Capcom, Zone of the Enders, God of War, Mark of Kri, Rise to Honor, Goblin Commander, Army Men RTS, La Pucelle, Twerps, Battlestar Galactica, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, Spy vs Spy, Powerpuff Girls, Piglet's Big Game, Asterix and Obelix, Theme Park Roller Coaster, Metropolismania, Super Monkey Ball, Viewtiful Joe, Under the Skin, Ribbit King, Crazi Taxi, Cel Damage, Simpsons: Hit and Run, Fatal Frame, Lego Star Wars, War of the Monsters, Destroy All Humans!

Note that, while most are, not all of of those are obscure.  Also, I'll buy any obscure game if it's cheap, even if it sucks.  Thus, a number of those titles are crappy games.  Oh, and this is a PS2-centric list.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2005, 10:42 »

Quote from: jhocking

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim, Dark Cloud 2, Ghost Master, Okami, .hack, Bombastic, Mojo, Flipnic, Culdcept, Disgaea, Bard's Tale, Shining Force/Tears, Stella Deus, Freaky Flyers, Robot Alchemic Drive, Jade Cocoon 2, Samurai Jack, Shadow Hearts, Grandia, Okage, Dog's Life, Finny the Fish, Ecco the Dolphin, Escape from Monkey Island, Aqua Aqua, Chulip, Mojib-Ribbon, Magic Pengel, TransWorld Surf, Seaman, Super Farm, Mr. Mosquito, Jak3, Rachet and Clank3, Sly2, Tak, Psychonauts, Zapper, Amplitude, Gitaroo-Man, Kinetica, Yanya Caballista, Red Dead Revolver, Marvel vs Capcom, Zone of the Enders, God of War, Mark of Kri, Rise to Honor, Goblin Commander, Army Men RTS, La Pucelle, Twerps, Battlestar Galactica, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, Spy vs Spy, Powerpuff Girls, Piglet's Big Game, Asterix and Obelix, Theme Park Roller Coaster, Metropolismania, Super Monkey Ball, Viewtiful Joe, Under the Skin, Ribbit King, Crazi Taxi, Cel Damage, Simpsons: Hit and Run, Fatal Frame, Lego Star Wars, War of the Monsters, Destroy All Humans!

Bold = WTF
Italics = <3 to the MAX!
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2005, 11:21 »

Quote from: neomang5
Bold = WTF

I'll buy any obscure game if it's cheap, even if it sucks.  Thus, a number of those titles are crappy games.

Incidentally, while I agree that "Piglet's Big Game" is no winner, the Powerpuff Girls RAWK.  Or, at least they did back in the day; I haven't watched TV in years so I don't know what Cartoon Network has done to them recently.

Your going through the list and rating games makes me curious: are there games on the list you haven't even heard of?

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2005, 15:16 »

3 uber-indie games (in that absolutely nobody plays them) that apparently didn't even make jhocking's list:

Uplink.
Startopia.
Darwinians.

Not quite genuine indie, as damn near everybody who's a serious gamer has heard of them, but I defy you to find all three games in anybody's collection. All three are a bit like rocking out in a thunderstorm on a dead unicorn's crucified corpse during the apocalypse, too.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2005, 17:24 »

Quote from: Switchblade
Uplink.
Startopia.
Darwinians.

Is that last one a typo?  If not, never heard of it.  The developers of the first one did a game called "Darwinia."  I rate them both "meh."

Startopia was a lot of fun.  My list was only PS2 games.  Indie gaming on PC is literally thousands of games; I wouldn't even attempt listing them.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2005, 17:53 »

Okay, so not nearly as obscure as the games mentioned thus far, but still criminally under-played:

System Shock.  The first one.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2005, 18:10 »

The developers behind System Shock are an inspiration to me.  They went on to develop this little game nobody played called Freedom Force.  And they went back to their indie roots, self-publishing the sequel.

Eldirial

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2005, 18:13 »

Freedom Force, and the sequel are good stuff.  I think allot of computer games have been forgotten- Grim Fandango being one of them.  Rez is definatly another one that I never understood why it didn't take off so much.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2005, 08:24 »

I really want to get a copy of Rez.  Disgae as well eventually.

ASturge

« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2005, 10:13 »

Freedom Fighters

Seriously, what a fucking good game.

MAKE

A

SEQUAL

tetsuotheironboy

« Reply #11 on: 14 Sep 2005, 10:19 »

i'm a big strategy fan so for me the two most underrated games in the genre are gangsters:organised crime and constructor, both released around the same time. Gangsters, obviously enough, was a crime sim set in the 1930's, you planned out actions for the week such as expanding your territory with protection rackets, setting up illegal businesses behind the appropriate front, buy a massage parlour for example and you can set up a whorehouse behind it without getting investigated, buy a gym and you can set up a prizefight ring, buy a printing press and you can set up a counterfeit money ring etc etc. This was all accomplished by hiring hoods with various skills, eg a high intimidation rating meant they could extort money from a larger area. Constructor was like theme park crossed with sim city. You fought other land developers for control of a town by taking over various houses and then defending them with a police force, maintaining them with your workers and foreman and harassing enemy neighbourhoods with your gangs. Houses could get posessed by ghosts or accquire a nest of squatters. It was fun and complex at the sime time, all round a really good game.

dinosrawr

« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2005, 11:10 »

i remember playing ecco on genesis.

what a hard game

ramenXnoodles

« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2005, 11:11 »

I have a feeling Indigo Prophecy is gonna be a sleeper hit.

Inanimate Object

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.psptown.com
« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2005, 11:56 »

You have not truly lived until you have played the Oddworld games. They were pretty popular back in the PS1 days, but they've kinda dropped into the "overlooked" category now. I really enjoyed the most recent two, Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2005, 19:59 »

rez is the best game mentioned so far, followed closely by gitaroo man.

in terms of the post topic, not overall quality.

La Creme

« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2005, 21:40 »

Asterix and Obelix

jhocking > win

My top three not so-so-heard-of games are definately:

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2005, 23:57 »

How far back are we going here?  Way back into the Dark Ages (B.C. - Before Consols)?  'Cause if so I'd like to give a big shout out for Lode Runner.

procto

« Reply #18 on: 15 Sep 2005, 06:19 »

I would definitely like to second System Shock.

I really didn't like the second one (maybe cause I played it waaay after it came out and it seemed pretty old?).

But the original system shock is STILL awesome. And in its time it was just PANTS CREAM PANTS CREAM PANTS CREAM. Although for me, those days, none of that. Too young. Still.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #19 on: 15 Sep 2005, 07:04 »

Indie underdogs

Check that one out.
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #20 on: 15 Sep 2005, 07:14 »

Quote from: La Creme
image of Beyond Good and Evil

YESSSSSssssss....

(I still haven't beaten it, because I find the final boss quite impossible.  Everything up until that point was smooth sailing.)

By the way, I almost forgot about this: click on my name and read my interests.  Yeah, this thread is for me.

thepayne

« Reply #21 on: 15 Sep 2005, 07:36 »

Beyond Good and Evil is good love that game. But I think a game that will be a sleeper hit will be Indigo Prophecy.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #22 on: 16 Sep 2005, 16:34 »

BGaE suffers from being one of those games that people  keep thinking "I really should buy that" and then forget. I know I do.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

jokermatt999

« Reply #23 on: 16 Sep 2005, 20:22 »

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Excellent 3 person shooter.

Nipon Ichi's games
Strategy games rarely become big anyway though...

Time Pilot
lol Atari. In all seriousness, a pretty cool game, I remember wasting a few hours on it on a retro-arcade machine in Florida.

And then there's sleeper games that should be left sleeping, such as Future Tactics. It was great concept...but the execution...ugh.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #24 on: 16 Sep 2005, 21:38 »

Oddworld and Heart of Darkness were my games growing up. I also had Dark Forces 2 and the exp. I played all incessantly, and continue to replay them to this day.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: 17 Sep 2005, 07:08 »

Reasons this thread makes me sad:

and of course:

The best Games Workshop computer game made before Dawn of War, and still the best original warhammer one. Look how tiny the only pic I could find of the box is! It hurts me this game isn't better known, it just has such awesome levels of bad-ass. Who could ever forget the intro

"And it shall be a time of great strife...when the moons are united in darkness, AND THE DEAD SHALL WALK THE EARTH ONCE MORE!"
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #26 on: 18 Sep 2005, 11:56 »

Quote from: Switchblade
BGaE suffers from being one of those games that people  keep thinking "I really should buy that" and then forget. I know I do.

I love gamenikki's assessment:
"Let's see. Prince of Persia was the best game nobody played, Beyond Good & Evil was the best game nobody wanted to play, and Far Cry is the best game nobody can play. Smooth, Ubi."
http://www.gamenikki.com/Pages/Reviews/PC/

Quote from: Sythe
Oddworld and Heart of Darkness were my games growing up.

You played those while growing up?  I think I better get a cane, maybe move to Florida.

Merkava

« Reply #27 on: 20 Sep 2005, 13:46 »

Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant >>>>>> you

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #28 on: 20 Sep 2005, 15:49 »

Does Ico count? That game kinda slipped under the radar, if i remember correctly, and it was just stunning.

Also, going back to 8-bit days, nobody seems to remember Asterix on the Master System. That was a really great game!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #29 on: 20 Sep 2005, 18:05 »

Some of my faves are Space Channel 5, Katamari Damacy, Ico, Tenchu, Soccer Slam, and Phantom Brave.  My crown jewel at the moment is Rez, while...

I certainly think it counts.

Stranger Dan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #30 on: 20 Sep 2005, 18:35 »

I'm tired of hearing about Ico. It might not have had a big television advertising campaign or anything but few games do. Any gaming publication for about a year after its release hailed it as the most wonderful revolutionary game ever made in every issue, on what seemed like every page. I rented it and instead what I ended up playing was an uninspired platformer with simple puzzles and button mashing combat. I then beat it in the time of the rental and had no reason to buy it.

Inanimate Object

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.psptown.com
« Reply #31 on: 20 Sep 2005, 19:32 »

Quote from: jokermatt999
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Excellent 3 person shooter.

Man, I completely forgot about Metal Arms! That game was awesome.

There was a game that came out in Japan a few years back called Chaindive that was one of the most fun games I have ever played. They were going to bring it to the US, but it got canceled... :(

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #32 on: 21 Sep 2005, 04:14 »

Back in Korea I used to play this side-scrolling beat-em-up based on the Chinese Zodiac.  The playable characters were like Monkey and Pig and such (my fave was Rooster,) and you fought all sorts of monsters from Chinese mythology.  All the arcades had this machine.  I forget the name, and I don't think it was released in this country, but that game was so much fun.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
« Reply #33 on: 21 Sep 2005, 05:34 »

I enjoyed this rather odd old SNES game called EVO. It was basically a game where you fight other creatures to gain points so you could evolve to fight even bigger, stronger opponents. It was teh awesome, and was underappreciated.
Also TNMT 4 in arcades is my god. Turtles in Time has devoured my money. Good ol' emulators have saved me though.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #34 on: 21 Sep 2005, 07:17 »

I never got past the first boss in Evo.  I should try again from the beginning; I'm pretty sure I just didn't evolve in useful ways and that's why I couldn't beat the boss.  snes9x on powerbook ftw

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2005, 08:56 »

Micromaniacs for the ps1.  My friend has this Gundam 2D fighting game I had never heard of till he had got it.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
« Reply #36 on: 21 Sep 2005, 10:41 »

@jhocking
the trick is to build a shitfuck reserve of evo points up before you fight him and then evolve the cheapest damn thing when your health is low.

Ontopic:
Im looking forward to Shadow of the Colossus, from the makers of Ico. Imagine you're the kid from Ico with a sword and bow and arrow set. Now imagine you have to kill 7 (i think) HOLYSHITHUGE titans of earth and doom. Looks fun in the fuck-theres-no-way-i-can-never-do-this sort of way.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #37 on: 21 Sep 2005, 15:34 »

Thats the name of it! I saw it on G4 and I've been looking for it!
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #38 on: 21 Sep 2005, 16:28 »

Quote from: Merkava
Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant >>>>>> you

Shadow Hearts: Covenant is GODLY. I never played the original though.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Gladius, LucasArts' arena combat game that never really got any press because it wasn't Star Wars-related.

Also, as far as Nippon Ichi games go, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, and Makai Kingdom are awesome. I didn't much care for La Pucelle: Tactics, and I haven't played Atelier Iris yet.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Tedd

« Reply #39 on: 21 Sep 2005, 16:42 »

Chrono Trigger.

Jesus fuck, guys.

Chrono Trigger.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #40 on: 21 Sep 2005, 16:49 »

Quote from: Tedd
Chrono Trigger.

Jesus fuck, guys.

Chrono Trigger.

Since when has Chrono Trigger been a sleeper?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Merkava

« Reply #41 on: 21 Sep 2005, 17:41 »

Yeah, Chrono Trigger is, like, one of the least indie games ever. XP

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #42 on: 21 Sep 2005, 17:59 »

Quote from: neomang5
Shadow of the Colossus, from the makers of Ico

I totally forgot about this game! Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy! I think it might just be totally sweet.

Merkava

« Reply #43 on: 21 Sep 2005, 19:28 »

I really, really want to try that game. It sounds so awesome.

This year is SO FUCKING GLORIOUS it's not even funny.

La Creme

« Reply #44 on: 21 Sep 2005, 21:49 »

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #45 on: 21 Sep 2005, 23:22 »

Pfft, Scorched Earth wannabe.

Speaking of which, I like Scorched Earth.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #46 on: 22 Sep 2005, 09:23 »

Man, I thought Worms has been around way longer.  Unless you're being sarcastic again, I'm not sure.  Sarcasm detection does not work so well on just one cup of coffee.

Does anyone remember Secret of Evermore for the SNES?  That was a fun.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
« Reply #47 on: 22 Sep 2005, 13:10 »

Yeah, it was awesome, but i never finished it, as i only played it at a friends. A friend too damn greedy to lend me it for a week or 2.

Also, Armed and Dangerous for the XBOX, Funny, Awesome, and you get a shark gun. That's right, a gun that LAUNCHES SHARKS.

Tedd

« Reply #48 on: 22 Sep 2005, 13:15 »

Quote from: Storm Rider
Quote from: Tedd
Chrono Trigger.

Jesus fuck, guys.

Chrono Trigger.

Since when has Chrono Trigger been a sleeper?

It's not a sleeper. It's the best game evar, in evary category, in evary way.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #49 on: 22 Sep 2005, 14:24 »

Quote from: Stranger Dan
I'm tired of hearing about Ico. It might not have had a big television advertising campaign or anything but few games do. Any gaming publication for about a year after its release hailed it as the most wonderful revolutionary game ever made in every issue, on what seemed like every page. I rented it and instead what I ended up playing was an uninspired platformer with simple puzzles and button mashing combat. I then beat it in the time of the rental and had no reason to buy it.

you missed the point of the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up