THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 15:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Indie" Games or Sleeper Hits  (Read 52074 times)

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Re: Do Starlancer and Freelancer count?
« Reply #100 on: 27 Nov 2005, 19:44 »

Quote from: greenMonkey
...ending of the storyline of Freelancer was pretty funny and kind of hard.

How did it end? I think I've finished it but theres a lot left unexplored and undiscovered. On second thoughts, (SPOILERZLOLZ) is there much after you leave Alaska? I think that's the last thing I did, there was that bit in Rhineland where you take out the alien capital ships but I think that was before. There was also a bit with a great big metal wall thing, I forget what you had to do but I've done it.

That game had great multiplayer. Many an hour of my life has gone to that.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
"Indie" Games or Sleeper Hits
« Reply #101 on: 29 Nov 2005, 20:11 »

I'm not sure, its been a while sicne I played the single player mode.  [SPOYLERZL0L] I believe after destroying the capital ships you find a way to activate the artifact and unlock something to destroy the aliens.  You fly this insane death-start-trench-esque mission where you attack the aliens at their home planet.  You blow some stuff up while taking copious amounts of damage and the storyline ends.  After that you can just go around and take jobs and stuff.  [/SPOYLERZL0L]

I love the multiplayer though.  I've wasted so many weekends on that.[/quote]

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #102 on: 29 Nov 2005, 22:04 »

Damn, I'm pretty sure I've done that.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

ramenXnoodles

« Reply #103 on: 03 Dec 2005, 11:28 »

Shadow Hearts: Covenant is pretty indie. It took me a while to track it down.

Ugly Sperm

« Reply #104 on: 24 Dec 2005, 10:14 »

Ok, I might be "new" and all here but I do have two games here that are great Indie games in the vain of the old lucasarts adventures.

5 Days a Stranger
http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/

and its direct sequel

7 Days a Skeptic
http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/7days/

Both are free for download and are great little adventure/horror games in the old school sense.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #105 on: 09 Jan 2006, 22:27 »

Road rash for genesis. I LOVE that game. Nothing like smacking a patrolman off his motorcycle with a chain to the tune of a pumpin' midi soundtrack.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Bunnyman

« Reply #106 on: 10 Jan 2006, 00:51 »

Freedom Fighters.
In an alternate history, the Russians nuke Berlin, setting off a chain of events that sees our hero, a thirtysomething plumber, caught in the middle of a Soviet invasion of New York City, circa 2003.
Over the course of the game, our hero raises and leads a ragtag resistance army, watches criminally hilarious Soviet newscasts, beats people senseless with a monkey wrench, and causes all-out mayhem.
Did I mention that it's surprisingly open-ended for a third-person shooter?  Or that it's one of hte best squad-level games since Full Spectrum Warrior or, for that matter, Syndicate?

crazybritishsteve

« Reply #107 on: 10 Jan 2006, 03:59 »

Bleah, freedom fighters was stupidly easy, as was freelancer. Syndicate was teh awesomeist back in the day of the panasonic 3do, as was Space hulk for the 3do. Space hulk for the pc was rubbish, but the 3do version could make you shit your pants. Damn i love that game. I love that console. THAT was an indie console! Star control 2 was brilliant as well.

That's it, i'm getting my 3do out of my mothers loft..........

ASturge

« Reply #108 on: 10 Jan 2006, 13:09 »

The TV Station mission in Freedom Fighters is one of my most epic gamnig moments.

Houn

« Reply #109 on: 11 Jan 2006, 23:29 »

Someone mentioned Ico and Shadow of the Colossus earlier.  I've played Ico, and own Shadow, and both of them are beautiful, amazing experiences.  No game has ever given me the same feeling of accomplishment as Shadow does - taking down multi-story beasts via reflex and wit; and a bittersweet accomplishment it is, as I feel regret for each and every majestic Colossus I slay.  Nor have many games had the balls to tell a story like this one.  

Others I've played recently are Prince of Perisa: The Sands of Time, which is the essential sleeper hit platform game.  Period.  Dunno if you can call Katamari Damacy Indie or Sleeper anymore, most people I know have at least heard of it, if not played it.  Zone of the Enders 1 and 2, though I find 2 far more entertaining to play.  Dark Cloud 2 as well, but there's so much to do in that game I often find myself overwhelmed as to what I should be doing at any given moment, heh.

Also, if you havent, run over to http://scummvm.org/ and pick up ScummVM and the now-freeware Beneath a Steel Sky.  It's a Cyberpunk Adventure-Game with a large heaping of dry British humor, and absolutely awesome.  I came by it via my PSP, oddly enough, as someone has ported ScummVM to PSP, and you can play BASS on it (1.5 firmware only, possibly 2.0).

crazybritishsteve

« Reply #110 on: 12 Jan 2006, 02:49 »

How in the world is Sands of time a sleeper hit!? It was HUGE!

Beneath a Steel Sky however, was deffinately a fantastic indie game. I'd forgotten that. -1 for sands of time, but +100 for BASS. I'll have to go download that..........

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #111 on: 12 Jan 2006, 05:54 »

OK this might have been said before, but the best of the Quake 2 generation shooters that arent Half-Life is probably Undying, that game is downright spooky.  I think the people who made F.E.A.R. just watched the Matrix and played Undying all day for the first 6 months of the games development cycle.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #112 on: 12 Jan 2006, 07:34 »

It just came out, but I'm guessing Stubbs the Zombie is gonna be a sleeper.

http://www.stubbsthezombie.com/

Houn

« Reply #113 on: 12 Jan 2006, 13:31 »

Quote from: crazybritishsteve
How in the world is Sands of time a sleeper hit!? It was HUGE!

Beneath a Steel Sky however, was deffinately a fantastic indie game. I'd forgotten that. -1 for sands of time, but +100 for BASS. I'll have to go download that..........

*shrug*

All I know is that no one I know has played it, and it went from full retail to $19.99 pretty fast.  And I hang with other gamers.  Maybe it just didn't get much play in my circles, but whatever.  It's still a damn fine game, and not to hard on the wallet these days. =D

And yeah, BASS was awesome.

Bunnyman

« Reply #114 on: 13 Jan 2006, 02:06 »

3dO?  Best thing to come out of that console was Return Fire.  So minimalist, so perfect.  I'm amazed no one's tried it since.  Then again, it's a cap on one of those old genres that dissappeared after the glory days of DOS shareware.

Ancient gaming history aside...a good jeep vs. helicopter chase, Wagner bumping, with missiles thick in the air, buildings exploding in clouds of dust, and the odd soldier getting run over, was a great gaming experience.  Especially since the person you were playing was invariably right next to you and many, many profane words were exchanged.

Anyone here ever play Castles 2?  Awesome boardgame-style pseudo-realtime strategy for DOS.  You played a pretender to the French throne, battling it out with other pretenders through fair means or foul.  Resource gathering, diplomacy, warfare, and brown-nosing the Pope all play important parts.

TheCourtJester

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!
« Reply #115 on: 13 Jan 2006, 04:14 »

"Paganitzu, Romancing the Rose" - fucking awesome puzzle-based game.
"Spectre" - looks like old vector graphics. Before PC-gaming ITSELF was mainstream. Also one of the first games to even have a network play option.
"G-Nome" - Kind of complex gameplay. One of the first mech-based games in which you ALSO had the ability to get OUT of the mech and get into various other ships/buildings to get through a mission. WAY ahead of it's time.
"Krondor" series is second'd.
"Dues Ex" - also second'd.

Don't know if it qualifies as "indie" or "sleeper-hit," but I liked "Battle Tanks" a lot.
The sad thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

crazybritishsteve

« Reply #116 on: 13 Jan 2006, 07:33 »

I still HAVE return fire! Driving the jeep at full speed screaming "RUN AWAY" while being chased by a helicopter is one of my favourite things! The music in that was PERFECT!

How about Chaos League for a modern indie game? Or is that too big?

Houn

« Reply #117 on: 13 Jan 2006, 07:48 »

I can't believe I forgot to mention rRootage!

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/rr_e.html

Free online, developed by one guy, ported to Windows/Linux/PSP/probably many, many more.

You're a ship, and you destroy bosses whil avoiding getting hit.  4 game modes.  My fingers still ache when I think about the marathon sessions spent on this.  Very Simple, Highly-Addictive.

Check the rest of the site out, there are other good ones up there, too.

Bunnyman

« Reply #118 on: 17 Jan 2006, 19:48 »

rRootage is ok, but GunRoar is a superior game in my opinion.  Great minimalist graphics, frenetic action, great control schema.

I cracked up so hardcore when I flew too far out with the Return Fire chopper and was suddenly blown up by the submarine that suddenly surfaced.  Awesome!

I have Spectre on an old Mac Classic that really can't support it.  Made for great AppleTalk deathmatches with that and an SE/30 though.

G-Nome was too ambitious for the technology and the dev cycle it had.  But it'd make for a great remake game.  The thought of Battlefield:Mechs is happy, to say the least.  Though in the FASA universe.

lost_vicuņa

« Reply #119 on: 18 Jan 2006, 04:27 »

how bout some fighter pilot sims? my personal favorites will always be X-wing vs. TIE fighter and Starlancer. the former because Star Wars is simply the best and the latter because it's basically WWII redone but with a fight over the solar system. truly masterful.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #120 on: 13 Feb 2006, 10:38 »

i second ico, shadow of the colussus, and dark cloud 1 & 2. i'd also like to mention Wild Arms 3 (ps2). vastly underappreciated and underrated. if you like classic rpgs then check it out.

also..who could forget kinetica? i believe it was one of the first games that was released when the ps2 first came out. its just cheesy futuristic racing with stunts. fun though.
i saw up above that someone mentioned Krondor. i have return to krondor and its one of my favorites. although its pretty simple and was still alot of fun and was relatively unique.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

AdamIsConceited

« Reply #121 on: 14 Feb 2006, 04:38 »

One of my favorite sites for classic PC games is www.the-underdogs.org It has tons of info on pretty much every classic PC game as well as "sleeper-hit" and "most underrated" categories.

The_Shifty

« Reply #122 on: 16 Feb 2006, 12:16 »

Arcanum. thoughts?

Bunnyman

« Reply #123 on: 16 Feb 2006, 20:00 »

Zero tactile feel, especially in the combat.  Advancement was far too stilted, especially coming off of Fallout.  Art was pretty, but didn't mesh (a common problem with 3d pre-rendered stuff).  All in all, a collection of fantastic ideas that didn't work as well as it should have.  I mean, the attitude, atmosphere, and suchlike are all there.  I think the moment I got turned off that game was when I got into combat and an 'old flintlock pistol' fired once a second and did close to no damage.  Later weapons, like the repeater, served almost entirely to chew through your stash of bullet (I use the singular, as it was a resource...a mechanic that I could accept if it was more effectively used...then again, beat the hell out of the DX2 system) with shocking speed.  The sheer amount of stuff in the game was nice, if hard to dig through, and the craft system was nifty, if stilted.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up