THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 14:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who here has done Radio  (Read 4281 times)

The Mighty Mopdecai

Who here has done Radio
« on: 15 Sep 2005, 17:12 »

Right next week I'm going to try to book myself and my brother in for a slot in a big uni radio in Scotland. I done some small radio stuff before but never as a big as this slot is going to be. Any Advice you can give to me and my bro

dinosrawr

Who here has done Radio
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2005, 19:19 »

i did radio once...for an hour, was really about 30-40 minutes! got to play anything i wanted as long as it wasn't too expletive filled. uhhh let's see some tips? well i had one of the djs with me, so he was helping me out but let's see

you want to have some basic knowledge about what you're playing. if you have a lot of enthusiasm/knowledge about the bands you're playing, you are a better dj

keep a playlist cos you'll play a few songs in a row and then have to go back and say what they were! the dj told me he's forgotten to write down what was played a few times

mix it up

don't play multiple songs of the same band

dont fall asleep :0

sjbrot

Who here has done Radio
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2005, 20:46 »

I did French Community Radio a few times. Keeping a playlist is a very good idea. Also, really try and plan out what you are going to do. Time constrictions and swearing can cause problems, but it will help if you have a good idea of what you are going to play when you get in there.

And saying stuff between songs. Think about what you are going to say, because otherwise you might just start mumbling something about a David Bowie instrumental in a very low voice before it goes off into Kraftwerk.

Finally, don't let the listeners get you down. If they don't like "Alluminum" by the White Stripes or any Serge Gainsbourg song, screw 'em.

Good luck.

La Creme

Who here has done Radio
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2005, 22:03 »

http://homestarrunner.com/sbemail120.html

Radios!

*EDIT* Ummmm, eerily enough, the people from this email are also from Scots-land.

Rad!

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Who here has done Radio
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2005, 22:47 »

I have a tip for you: don't pull ANY plugs out of ANYWHERE. Take it from someone who knows.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
Who here has done Radio
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2005, 06:46 »

I did a radio show on http://www.wrpi.org">WRPI a while back.  A lot of people liked it!  Some people said I didn't enunciate clearly enough!

If you're doing a music show (that's what I did), it's really not too hard.  Really, the most annoying thing is dealing with regulations, so I can't really help you there since I only know US rules.  

Some tips: Speak clearly, and say the names of the songs and bands that you play at the end of each block.  Try not to go more than fifteen minutes without saying the names.  Make sure to give the phone number at the station so people can call you about what you're playing - that's the fun part!  Don't play Bright Eyes.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

The Mighty Mopdecai

Who here has done Radio
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2005, 06:49 »

What's wrong with Bright Eyes

edwartica

Who here has done Radio
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2005, 22:56 »

I was going to do a radio show at my Alma Matter (is there one or two 't's in that - anyways). Yeah, just didn't get around to it. It's really my loss too.
I did frequently (as in like every single freeking time) pop onto my freind's show. Sometimes I would read my poetry or something.
Geez I miss KPSU.

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Who here has done Radio
« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2005, 00:57 »

My old neighbor from college had a show for a couple of years with the university's radio station.  Pretty good but sometime he'd have nothing prepared for an upcoming show so he'd come over and ask if we wanted to be guests on his show.  It was kind of cool getting a shout out on the radio like that.

The Mighty Mopdecai

Who here has done Radio
« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2005, 06:50 »

Can I ask La Creme if the same guy who does that email is the same people who do the cartoons for EDGE magazine.

I'll say when I'll be doing to show when I find out please listen fellow questionable contenters

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Who here has done Radio
« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2005, 06:54 »

I think the thing about Bright Eyes was don't play too much mopey depressing stuff at a time.

Or he just hates Bright Eyes.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.
Pages: [1]   Go Up