THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 03:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: nintendo revolution controller.  (Read 23224 times)

Fabio

nintendo revolution controller.
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2005, 03:27 »

Looks cool...but yet it wont feel like your playing a console...it'll be like playing the games on sky but with amazing graphics(we hope).

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2005, 03:39 »

Just read about this at BBC. What the hell?
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

TheLoweringTide

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2005, 04:00 »

It's an interesting concept whose success depends entirely on proper execution.  It needs to work accurately and intuitively.  Developers need to take the time to make sure their games take full advantage its capabilities AND work around its shortcomings.  When I play a video game, my mindset should be, "hey this is a fun game," not, "hey, look what my controller can do."

Hostile

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2005, 04:13 »

I want to have sex with it, right now.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2005, 07:17 »

Are you female?  Because if so, you totally could.  I mean, look at that thing.  If it has force-feedback, the Rez article on gamegirladvance will be nothing compared to what happens to this thing.

Eldirial

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2005, 08:45 »

Nintendo could really pull this off- and if they do... this could be the most entertaining group system yet.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2005, 09:11 »

Good ol' Nintendo and their wacky ideas.  I still hope the compatibility between the DS and the Revolution that was hinted at is still in the works.

Eldirial

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2005, 10:58 »

I think the compatibility will still be there-  I just really hope nintendo works hard on this- cause it could be amazing, but if they drop the ball, a whole style of gaming will be more or less gone.

Jarne

« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2005, 12:37 »

It looks really cool, but it looks like you'll have to stay put while playing the game, what with the... controller movement thingy and all.
And it doesn't look like the kind of controller you can throw against the wall in frustration, which is a shame.

Eldirial

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2005, 12:41 »

See, I wonder about that- the movie nintendo showed had a couple people really hopping around, which confused me- it wouldn't seem to be able to work that way, I assume...

Oh well, I imagine we shall all see.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2005, 18:09 »

That is beauty in its purest form. If Jesus played video games, he would have one of these.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Eldirial

« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2005, 18:28 »

Quote from: ironoxide887
That is beauty in its purest form. If Jesus played video games, he would have one of these.

I bet he would have one in each hand.

Unless he needed to keep a hand free for blessings and the like- I could see that.

Jarne

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2005, 20:02 »

Quote from: Eldirial
Quote from: ironoxide887

I bet he would have one in each hand.

Unless he needed to keep a hand free for blessings and the like- I could see that.

Halo 3's dual wielding would be NOTHING compared to two of those in hand.
I mean... DAMN!
TWO CONTROLLERS FOR DUAL GUNS!

dinosrawr

« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2005, 20:19 »

ThatGuy

« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2005, 00:15 »

Well it looks like Nintendo will soon be joining Sega

seriously though Nintendo keeeps saying that they are not competing with Sony and Microsoft, the they are going into a more inovative directions rather thean jus bumping up the eye candy, but when it comes down to it they are competing in the same market and while it is true that the other two have made no real creative leaps forward what exactly has Nintendo done thats so great aside from giving us the Horrible N64 andGC controllers and nothing but new Mario and Zelda.

It's a big risk if it works great they still have to deal with coming up with actual new titles if it doesn't they are done.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2005, 00:41 »

here are my thoughts on this, blatantly copied and pasted from a post i made about it over at Dumbrella:

i'm gonna have to say that it looks like shit.  even if you spin that thing around it is still tiny and awful.  my hands are going to get cramps holding it.

a prediction:

SeanBateman

« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2005, 00:49 »

EST IS WRONG!!!

ASturge

« Reply #18 on: 17 Sep 2005, 03:59 »

This is why Nintendo is best.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #19 on: 17 Sep 2005, 07:34 »

Quote from: est

THIS BOAT IS OBVIOUSLY SINKING!!!

Quote from: est

THIS BUILDING'S TOTALLY BURNING DOWN!

AND NINTENDO'S SALES, AND NINTENDO'S SALES, AND NINTENDO'S SALES, AND NINTENDO'S SALES, AND NINTENDO'S SALES, AND NINTENDO'S SALES, AND NINTENDO'S SALES, AND NINTENDO'S SALES, AND NINTENDO'S SALES HAVE SLOWLY DRIED UP!
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Jarne

« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2005, 08:35 »

Interesting use of Modest Mouse lyrics, but I'll have to disagree.
This is something that could really work or crash and burn, depending on the execution. But the idea is a very good one.

Tedd

« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2005, 08:38 »

"Cocknocker-

Oh, this isn't the film quotes game.

Sorry.

It looks like a dildo for chrissakes.

Eldirial

« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2005, 08:38 »

Lets just hope that nintendo pulls it off.  

Hell, I can't wait to have one of these with 4 controllers hooked up just for hanging with my friends, if it's as cool as it seems.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #23 on: 17 Sep 2005, 09:50 »

You know what's an even dumber idea than these controllers?  Controlling games with a touchscreen!  Now THAT would be seriously retarded.  I mean ju-

*pause*

*blink blink*

nevermind

Eldirial

« Reply #24 on: 17 Sep 2005, 10:11 »

I think allot of people WILL give nintendo the benefit of the doubt because of that... many of them still haven't removed the foot from their mouth over the DS.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #25 on: 17 Sep 2005, 12:38 »

anyone who cant realize the potential here is an idiot :)

Eldirial

« Reply #26 on: 17 Sep 2005, 12:51 »

Funny thing is- every place I visit online that has a forum that includes videogames, is either incredibly one side or another.  Each has a few people who argue... but... Well, I just really want to see what they can pull off with this.

Now I know what he meant saying that after this next Zelda, there will be a huge change in the next one.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
« Reply #27 on: 17 Sep 2005, 15:14 »

well, there is a controller dock for the remote, but honestly i think the idea is awful.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #28 on: 17 Sep 2005, 16:09 »

Quote from: Jarne
This is something that could really work or crash and burn, depending on the execution. But the idea is a very good one.

I agree, actually; I just saw those pictures and had to make the reference. I really want Nintendo to succeed with this, because I like the company and because I feel like innovation in the gaming industry could use a shot in the arm.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

TheMike

« Reply #29 on: 17 Sep 2005, 16:24 »

it's not the kind of controller you can rest in your lap and play for hours only feeling a little gamer's thumb. i think it looks really hard on the wrists, i don't think it will be easy to go on gaming binges without feeling the physical after effects.

Jarne

« Reply #30 on: 17 Sep 2005, 16:56 »

Quote from: TheMike
it's not the kind of controller you can rest in your lap and play for hours only feeling a little gamer's thumb. i think it looks really hard on the wrists, i don't think it will be easy to go on gaming binges without feeling the physical after effects.

If you're gonna get sore swinging a remote control around, you've either played more than you should or you're incredibly out of shape.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #31 on: 17 Sep 2005, 20:11 »

Quote from: will: wanton sex god
anyone who cant realize the potential here is an idiot :)

i can realise the potential, i just don't see it as something that 3rd-party game developers, who are already looking ath Nintendo unfavourably will be itching to try to develop interesting and compelling games for.

if it's a choice between thinking and just going with what they know will make them money, they will say "fuck this" and pump out a few hundred more figthing/racing/fps titles for the xbox2/ps3.

Tedd

« Reply #32 on: 17 Sep 2005, 23:49 »

I have to admit, there could be potential but they could fuck it up. Their margin of error is terribly small- and this can only lead to increased game prices that most gamer demographics (12-19) can't really afford.

Eldirial

« Reply #33 on: 17 Sep 2005, 23:56 »

but... thats not really the only gamer demographic anymore.

I mean, people will wait to see how it goes- might not be a huge release... But once they have a few games that are really... revolutionary, then people will buy them like hotcakes, I imagine.

Super Dave

« Reply #34 on: 18 Sep 2005, 01:34 »

When my one friend came running into school on thursday declaring "THE CONTROLLER FOR REVOLOUTION IS HERE!" I was expecting something asthetically pleasing, Mediocre in size, and overall coll looking. What I saw, was a sideways and elongated  NES controller with some LED's built into it. That's right, I Hate Nintendo now. I am no fanboy, no. I own every other Nintendo system. However, With this recent trend of "thinking outside the box" as Nintendo puts it, all we get now, are little gimmicky pieces of CRAP. Think about it. Can you even imagine trying to play a video game with only  hand? Even if there is a infa- red sensormabob on the end, It's still going to be bloody hard to do. It just isn't practical.

Eldirial

« Reply #35 on: 18 Sep 2005, 07:34 »

See, obviously you haven't looked into it all that much- many games are going to use both hands, with a seperate controller piece.  Frankly, I think it shouldn't be hard to use...

And I have to say- thats what allot of people said about the DS- dumb idea, wouldn't work well... who would want to play a game using a touchscreen?

So, I still say wait and see.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #36 on: 18 Sep 2005, 08:09 »

I think it'll be interesting, to say the least. I'm not going to say anything about the controller because I haven't actuall tried it. (Unlike, like, half of the people who have ever looked at it ever). Although I will say the design is kinda neat.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #37 on: 18 Sep 2005, 08:23 »

OK, I agree . . the controller is an amazing new way of playing games . . . but it's too new.

Grab your TV remote (if you can find it).  Grip it tightly and just hold it like that for about 15 minutes.  Not comfortable is it?  Holding your hand in a "C" / Soda can style way will get very annoying, especially if you plan on playing with the thing for an hour or more.  With a regular controller, your hand can relax on and take shape to the controller.

Maybe if they were to offer a regular format controller to start with and then have an optional controller or maybe include it with the regular format controller, the Revolution wouldn't go down in flames.

The end is near . . . not for Nintendo, but for the Revolution- over before it started.  I'm not saying the Revolution won't sell, but it'll end up conceding (like they did with Gamecube).

Jarne

« Reply #38 on: 18 Sep 2005, 08:58 »

It looks LIKE a remote control, but it isn't one. Of course nintendo is going to make it comfortable to hold.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #39 on: 18 Sep 2005, 10:59 »

If you like, actually looked at the fucking pictures Grohlly boy, You'd notice that they actually molded it to fit the hand.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

TheMike

« Reply #40 on: 18 Sep 2005, 11:08 »

you guys really like to resort to personal attacks when someone offers a different opinion to your conversation.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #41 on: 18 Sep 2005, 12:03 »

It's because insulting people is a great way of getting them to agree with you.

ASturge

« Reply #42 on: 18 Sep 2005, 12:13 »

Quote from: DavidGrohl
I'm not saying the Revolution won't sell, but it'll end up conceding (like they did with Gamecube).

Exactly.

It'll still make alot of money, even if it does come 3rd.

They're making a specific audience of gamers happy[ those who like innovation and originality] and making a pretty solid buck.

More power to em'!

Jarne

« Reply #43 on: 18 Sep 2005, 12:41 »

I believe that nintendo actually earned the most profit this generation, probably mostly on software sales.

ASturge

« Reply #44 on: 18 Sep 2005, 12:52 »

^

Not a chance. Seriously

No.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #45 on: 18 Sep 2005, 12:53 »

It's entirely possible.  What people never seem to grasp (be it about videogames, computers, or whatever) is that total revenue != profit.  In other words, you can sell a huge amount of whatever it is, but if your costs are also huge then you aren't making much money.  Conversely, you can make sufficient profit off smaller sales if you're intelligent about spending it in the first place.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 18 Sep 2005, 16:26 »

The thing is that Nintendo maked good games. If you look at the repitoire of the other systems, you have nothing, really. PS2 has a couple good ones, and XBox has even less.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Jarne

« Reply #47 on: 18 Sep 2005, 19:36 »

Quote from: ASturge
^

Not a chance. Seriously

No.

Qouted from The Economist September 17th - 23rd 2005 issue. "And because most of the money in the game industry is made from software, not hardware, Nintendo makes the most profit among gaming firms, even though it only has a 15% market share, notes Paul Jackson of Forrester, a consultancy."

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #48 on: 18 Sep 2005, 20:14 »

Quote from: DavidGrohl
OK, I agree . . the controller is an amazing new way of playing games . . . but it's too new.

Grab your TV remote (if you can find it).  Grip it tightly and just hold it like that for about 15 minutes.  Not comfortable is it?  Holding your hand in a "C" / Soda can style way will get very annoying, especially if you plan on playing with the thing for an hour or more.  With a regular controller, your hand can relax on and take shape to the controller.

Maybe if they were to offer a regular format controller to start with and then have an optional controller or maybe include it with the regular format controller, the Revolution wouldn't go down in flames.

The end is near . . . not for Nintendo, but for the Revolution- over before it started.  I'm not saying the Revolution won't sell, but it'll end up conceding (like they did with Gamecube).

gamecube controller is the most comfortable of the current gen .

Stranger Dan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #49 on: 18 Sep 2005, 21:32 »

You missed the part where it is modular to the point where it can get a shell and it will just be a regular controller. Here I'll just show you.

This is the core controller unit.

This is the core controller unit when it is inserted into the included dual analog controller shell that doesn't just hang by a tether. You will use it for things like platformers and fighting games.

Basically, I don't know how you could turn that down.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up