THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first build!  (Read 5698 times)

YoungGrassHopper

My first build!
« on: 16 Sep 2005, 14:26 »

I have definitley gone over to the dark side now.

I got sick of Dell issues, and had a limited budget so I built my own computer. Any thoughts on this build?

amd 3000+ athlon 64, venice core, socket 939
some asus board I can't recall the name of (k8v deluxe?)
2 X 512 meg corsair value select memory modules (1 gig)
lite-on double layer dvd rw
hitachi 160 gig sata
northwood raedon 256 meg card (9200? can't recall. it was 40 bucks. meh.)
soundblaster pci card (not audigy)
codegen briza case
400 watt thermaltake ps
1 120 mm fan, 2 80 mm
win 2000 for now

grand total, after rebates (OS already had) 565.00 US.

I was pretty happy.

Se7en

My first build!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2005, 15:49 »

Its not bad. I would have definatly avoided the hitachi drive, and got a samsung spinpoint instead. The hitachis dont have the best reputation for reliablity, and the samsung is generally cheaper, faster, and its quieter.

Also, you didnt need to buy that sound card. The onboard sound on the mobo is just as good, if not better.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
My first build!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2005, 21:28 »

I had a friend who cursed hitachi quite frequently before he finally replaced it.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

ThatGuy

My first build!
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2005, 00:20 »

Onboard sound doesn't really comapare to a dedicated souncard, plus it ofloads the decoding of the cpu.

theose 300's are nice from what I've read it's not suprising to see them runing past 3800 speeds easy.

Tedd

My first build!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2005, 08:56 »

Looks pretty good to me. You should have gone the extra fifty bucks for a 9600XT though, there's a nice 93.00 US one that I'm keeping my eye on.

Otherwise, you spent pretty well. You are on the path of the leet. You will meet a monk. He will open his mouth, but instead of speaking, he will eat your kitten. Your path will be judged by your reaction. Gaben.

RedLeather

My first build!
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2005, 12:41 »

I built m own build...-Blinks- It's nothing spectacular, except the new Nvidia cards i put in last friday....Two video cards..one system..can my cooling system keep the computer from meeeeelting?...Probably.

Se7en

My first build!
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2005, 16:56 »

ah, pci-e SLI, doncha just love it?
yeah, id agree that a 9600 XT would be worth the extra, its a nice card.
And actually, that onboard sound IS better than most cheapo soundcards, and does decoding in hardware anyway. Technology has moved on a fair old bit since the days of the AC97 codec, when that was actually true.

YoungGrassHopper

My first build!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2005, 07:20 »

yeah, I returned the northwood card. It wasn't as good a deal as I thought.

I'm looking into what would best suit my needs now, but cash is an issue, as it inevitably is funneled into the blackhole of my guitar habit.

I started a build for a friend...trying to go ultra low budget performance..

amd 3000+ athlon 64 venice core
not sure on a board yet...
starting on just built in video
starting with built in sound
80 gig western digital
512 meg kingston pc3200 ddr
Reusing her win 2000 for OS
lite-on dvdr
reusing monitor/keyboard/mouse form old computer
probably antec slk2650 case with 350 watt antec power supply

I managed to keep the whole package under $400, with ample room for growth. I'd like to take it micro-atx instead of atx, for the size (antec case is relatively small but still a monster for a dorm room)...but have no idea about good m-atx boards or cases.

then of course I;'ll have to pimp it out with all sorts of glowing contrivances.

1patheticloser

My first build!
« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2005, 09:23 »

Yeah, I'll be purchasing a 9600XT soon as well. My 9700Pro is dying, and for less than $100 for I believe better performance? I'd buy that for...well...$100.

nihilist

My first build!
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2005, 09:58 »

A 9600XT > 9700 Pro?  Pardon me?  That doesn't seem right.  Mebbe a 9800XT...  An X600XT?  An X800GT?

1patheticloser

My first build!
« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2005, 15:32 »

Yeah...sorry...not sure what I was thinking. It's slightly less performance, I just remember when it first came out going, hey sweet, it's almost as good as the 9700Pro, but way cheaper. I've been out of the loop for a while, what with the quitting CompUSA and all.  I'm probably gonna go a little more expensive and get a ATI X800 XL. Hawt.

Inanimate Object

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.psptown.com
My first build!
« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2005, 18:26 »

The 9600XT will still run most games very well though. I just got one of these for $80 on sale a couple weeks ago for a build I just completed. I'm extremely happy with it, and would highly recommend it.

Just for comparison, the rest of my computer is:
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53GHz
ASUS A7V600-X mobo
512MB RAM
Old 12 gig HD (Temporary, ordering a much bigger one soon.)

I can easily run Half-Life 2 on almost all highest settings, and various other games on high.

Se7en

My first build!
« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2005, 10:03 »

Quote from: YoungGrassHopper

I managed to keep the whole package under $400, with ample room for growth. I'd like to take it micro-atx instead of atx, for the size (antec case is relatively small but still a monster for a dorm room)...but have no idea about good m-atx boards or cases.

then of course I;'ll have to pimp it out with all sorts of glowing contrivances.

Right, the solutions easy. Shuttle PC! seriously, they are dirt cheap now. £150 for a basic one, thats mobo, case, powersupply, and cooling, just add cpu, ram, and hard drive. Motherboard has integrated everything. The shuttle XPC is really small, bout 20cm wide, 28cm deep, 18cm high. The shuttle is the origional, and STILL the best "bread bin pc"

FYI, the 9600XT overclocks like a mofo. its got a retooled core on a different process to the 9600pro, and new layout that reduces hotspots.

Inanimate Object

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.psptown.com
My first build!
« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2005, 13:01 »

Quote from: Se7en

FYI, the 9600XT overclocks like a mofo. its got a retooled core on a different process to the 9600pro, and new layout that reduces hotspots.

Got any tips on overclocking? I've never done it before, and don't want to mess anything up, but the improved performance would be really nice.

nihilist

My first build!
« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2005, 18:11 »

The 9600 is currently at least two generations behind, and in a few weeks will be three generations behind.  Be better to get an X600 or X700, or even an X800GT if you have a bit of coin on hand.  If not, grab a 9800.

As to the comment that the 9600 will run most games...  Sure.  As to the "very well" bit, I'd have to argue that.  Very well at 640x480?  Possibly.  But you won't be running BF2 at 1024x768 with any level of AA, especially not if you want to try to run it at anything over 3FPS.  If you're a gamer, you shouldn't be looking at anything that old.  An X800GT would be the minimum recommendation.

Se7en

My first build!
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2005, 09:59 »

you dont NEED AA or AF of any kind enabled. the 9600XT is only 1 generation behind. The great thing about it is its CHEAP. It will still run most things at 1024 x 768, so whats the problem? The next best card to get would be a 6600 GT, which is the best value latest gen mid range card.

Overclocking is easy for ATI cards. Install the latest catylist drivers, bring up your video properties, click the "vpu recover" tab, and check that is enabled, then move to the "overdrive" tab, and enable that. Thats the easy way, with limited results. Its safe, and under warrenty.

If you want to kick it up a few more notches, download this: http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
Install it, click find max core, let it do its stuff.. then find max mem. Once its done that, back off the speeds of both by about 2mhz, 5 to be absolutely safe. Then test it properly with a bit of gaming and benchmarking. Look closely for artifacts or tearing.

I recomend 3dmark 2003 for benchmarking this card, the benchmark is the same age as the card so it will give a better  idea of performance gains. You can get it from www.futuremark.com

Blarney Mollusk

My first build!
« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2005, 12:25 »

The 9600's biggest drawback is the 1.1 shader tech. I *think* 9700 supports 2.0 but I do know 9800 supports 2.0. Half-Life 2 utilizes 2.0 quite a bit. Anything post - HL2 should be run on a 9800 equiv or better IMHO. You get what you pay for, but the 9600 is still a good card. It served me quite well untill I upgraded to 9800XT. Regarding your build - I think you made a mistake buying the cheapo ATI card. Should have spent a few more bucks and got a 9600 perhaps. But everything else looks good for the price you paid.

Snazzy.

nihilist

My first build!
« Reply #17 on: 01 Oct 2005, 20:09 »

9600 -> X600 -> X1600.  Third generation.  Far behind.  Shouldn't even be sold anymore.  Buy an X800GT.  Awesome bang for the buck.  The end.
Pages: [1]   Go Up