THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 19:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unexpectedly good movies  (Read 7751 times)

Everest

Unexpectedly good movies
« on: 20 Sep 2005, 15:11 »

I went to the movie theater with a few friends last night, and we didn't really know what to see; nothing we more or less anticipated was showing. So on a whim, we went to see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, starring Robert Downey Jr, Val Kilmer, and a breathtakingly beautiful Michelle Monaghan (never heard of her before but DANG!). Damn what a good choice for a random movie on a boring Monday night. Good characters, snappy conversations, hilarious situations... Just the right atmosphere. Good movie, I'd advise everyone to go see it for themselves were it not that it's probably one of those movies you have to accidentally walk into to find it as good as I do.

To further elaborate this thread, so that it doesn't become a waste of space: has anyone other unexpectedly good movie experiences they'd like to share? Then share! :)

Tedd

Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2005, 16:29 »

Every Kevin Smith movie evar. Except for Jersey Girl. And Chasing Amy. Okay, just Jersey Girl.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2005, 01:01 »

I was told Chasing Amy was pretty good.
I haven't had a chance to watch it, i've only seen Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Clerks....and did he do Dogma? but i even that i can't remember much of.

Personally, Oceans Eleven surprised me, i hate George Clooney, and a friend of mine wants to fellate brad pitt every day, and because of him i was aprehensive of it. I liked it though, it made me laugh.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Daniel

Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2005, 01:12 »

Quote from: GebStar
Personally, Oceans Eleven surprised me, i hate George Clooney, and a friend of mine wants to fellate brad pitt every day, and because of him i was aprehensive of it. I liked it though, it made me laugh.

I quite enjoyed Ocean's 11, but then I am a sucker for a good heist movie. I haven't seen 12, though, 'cause everything I've heard about it has said that it's awful.

Another unexpectedly good movie, I found, was most recent version Peter Pan. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would (and far more than I probably should've).

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2005, 02:32 »

^
I cried in Peter Pan, i cried like a little bitch.
I was surprised by it too.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Everest

Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2005, 03:43 »

Ocean's 12 is... Just not the same as 11, really. It's a good, entertaining enough and all, but it's just not the same anymore. That's what you get with sequels who try to overdo it.

Ocean's 11, there's another unexpectedly good movie. I had heard of it when it came out, but ignored and forgot it. Then when I saw it months later, I was pleasantly surprised. I like it when movies do that to me.

Daniel

Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2005, 05:29 »

^
I cried in Peter Pan, i cried like a little bitch.
I was surprised by it too.

While I didn't quite cry (to do so would compromise my manly image), I cannot deny that it had moments that made my spine tingle, and moments that I could not resist smiling at.

Quote from: Everest
Ocean's 12 is... Just not the same as 11, really. It's a good, entertaining enough and all, but it's just not the same anymore. That's what you get with sequels who try to overdo it.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I think I'll just stick with the first one.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2005, 05:41 »

I wasnt too impressed with the new Peter Pan movie. I didnt think it was bad, i just didnt love it.
What movie i really enjoyed was Steamboy. It looked kind of odd, and anime set in old england isnt my forte. I watched it, loved it, and watched it again. Good execution, but could have had a tad bit more character development.
I havent seen movies in a loooong time.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2005, 11:09 »

I LIKED the new peter pan!  Right up there with Hook (no sarcasm!)

Dodgeball was unexpectedly good as well, and as much as I knew I was  going to like Batman Begins, it JUST BLEW ME AWAY

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2005, 15:51 »

Josie and the Pussycats. Seriously.

Actually quite a clever and funny little movie, which i really wasn't expecting when my (now ex) girlfriend chose it at the video store.

Plus Rachael Leigh Cook is uber-cute in it.

Tedd

Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2005, 16:10 »

something about chasing amy.

It was alright, more of a chick-flick than anything. Although when Hooper started screaming "black rage!" I almost shit myself laughing.

noise_wave

good movies
« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2005, 17:34 »

I rather liked Red Eye. Michael Caine played the bad guy and, as usual, did a great job. In case you don't know who Michael Caine is, he played the Scarecrow on Batman Begins. And if you haven't seen Batman Begins, then see it. No one but Christian Bale could have done a better job in the newest movie. Other great movies (ones not in theatres or are new at all) would include: Boondock Saints (come on, Willem Dafoe? Sean Patrick Flannery? Anyone, anyone?), Platoon (a classic 1986 film written and directed by Oliver Stone starring Tom Berenger, Willem Dafoe, Charlie Sheen, Forest Whitaker, and a brief appearence by Johnny Depp), and the ever classic The Blues Brothers (Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, James Brown, Carrie Fisher, Murphey Brown, Cab Calloway, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles... come on it's directed by John Landis... how can you go wrong?). That's my two cents.

Merkava

Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2005, 17:39 »

Uhh...not Michael Caine. Not even close, buddy. Cillian Murphy. He was Scarecrow in Batman Begins and Joe in 28 Days Later.

Besides that, I have no idea how to read your post.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2005, 17:41 »

That's funny. i seem to recall Michael Caine being NOT THAT PERSON AT ALL!

Although Michael Caine was in Batman Begins, he was Alfred the butler. You actually mean Cillian Murphy, the guy who played the scarecrow.

EDIT: damn, beat me to it.

Daniel

Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2005, 18:07 »

And not to pile on, here, but while those other movies you mentioned are good, are they really 'unexpectedly good'?

noise_wave

Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2005, 21:07 »

My mistake!! I realized after I posted that I had mispelled but was on my way out. And Platoon was unexpectedly good, considering most of those Vietnam based movies are sort of typical fighting sort of thing, where as Platoon was more a battle within their own troops. But whatever... sorry about the Michael Caine mistake!

Tedd

Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #16 on: 22 Sep 2005, 03:14 »

He referred to Michael Caine incorrectly? It's crucifyin' time...Hulk style.

1patheticloser

Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #17 on: 22 Sep 2005, 07:30 »

I couldn't watch the new Peter Pan without being disturbed, as the girl who played Tinkerbell, Ludivine Sagnier, was in a movie called Swimming Pool two years ago. In this movie, Ludivine did nothing but sleep with random guys and be a bitch, albeit an incredibly hot naked bitch. And thinking about the nekkid Ludivine humping strange French guys and seeing Tinkerbell just creeps me out.
Not as much as the sex scene in Swimming Pool between Charlotte Rampling and the old short bald guy. Blech.

1patheticloser

Unexpectedly good movies
« Reply #18 on: 22 Sep 2005, 12:36 »

The ending was rather obvious *Spoiler* That it was made up*Spoiler*

But I thought for a minute that it could be interpretted as the girl you see at the end was actually the one doing all the horrible things. I doubt that it was intended, but it puts a different spin on the movie, having the average looking young girl commiting heinously slutty acts, as opposed to the hot girl. Just a thought...
Pages: [1]   Go Up