THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Asian Movies  (Read 27018 times)

lingy

Asian Movies
« on: 20 Sep 2005, 23:21 »

Two of my favorite movies are probably My Sassy Girl and My Left Eye Sees Ghosts.

-major spoilers-

My Sassy Girl- South Korea romantic comedy:The film tells the story of a male college student (Cha Tae-Hyun) and a girl (Jun Ji-hyun) whose name is never given. Our male protagonist, Gyeon-woo, does not seem to be able to catch a break. His romantic prospects are so pathetic that even his mother tries to get into the act, telling him to go visit his aunt so he can get hooked up with a girl. Gyeon-woo has more pride than that so he refuses. He goes to the train station for a ride home. This is where he sees the Girl, stone drunk and standing precariously close to the edge of the train. He pulls her to safety just in time. She does not seem very appreciative.

Inside the train, Gyeon-woo cannot help but stare at this girl (who he is slightly attracted to but repulsed by her drunkenness) who wavers back and forth. Finally, she throws up on an old man, calls Gyeon-woo "honey" and drops like a sack of potatoes. Gyeon-woo, confused, carries her all the way to the nearest motel. While he is showering, her phone rings and he answers it, foolishly informing the person on the other end where he is, and is soon received by a pair of police officers. A short struggle later, he is taken to jail.

He eventually gets out but that morning the Girl calls him out to a café, where he spills to her the entire story of the night before. She seemed somewhat irritated by this and drags Gyeon-woo off to a bar, where she gets hammered again, resulting yet another trip to the same exact motel. Being more intelligent this time, Gyeon-woo does not take a shower.

The Girl is a fierce character. After this second overnight stay at the motel, she seeks Gyeon-woo out at class. Faced with a old and feisty teacher, she succeeds in getting him out of class by claiming to be on the way to an abortion, with him being the father. Her plan a success, she takes Gyeon-woo to the theme park to enjoy themselves.

She is an aspiring scriptwriter, giving Gyeon-woo three different looks at genres. The first is an action movie - "The Demolition Terminator" - which switches gender roles, symbolically having the Girl save her helpless lover (Gyeon-woo). The second is a wild perversion of one of Gyeon-woo's beloved melodramas in which the Girl, having died, asks that her lover be buried along with her, even alive. The resulting situation is quite humorous. The last is a wuxia/samurai movie spoof full of genre clichés and anachronisms. All three feature the same common thread: the Girl is from the future.

Despite all the horrible things Gyeon-woo endures, he is determined to stick with the Girl. He feels a pain inside her and wants to ease it. So no matter what happens, he bites his tongue and trudges on. Throughout the first half of the movie, she is resolute in her pain, dishing it out in plenty. But as the second half comes around, she begins to change. More of her vulnerability is apparent.

The second - and the more touching - half of the movie begins with the Girl waiting for Gyeon-woo after school lets out. She takes him out to the park and suddenly complains about the pain her high heels are causing her. In the subsequent conversation, she convinces Gyeon-woo to switch shoes with her. Overjoyed, she tells him to chase her around the park and which he does until it starts raining. They walk to her house where Gyeon-woo meets her parents, after which he overhears a massive argument between the Girl and her mother. Gyeon-woo does not hear from her for a long time.

For their 100th day, she calls him and asks him to bring her a rose during class. He does this, leading to a touching and romantic scene where he follows the beautiful music of Pachelbel to where she is. But the night unfolds further and again he is faced with her parents, the Girl herself unconscious for the third time. Her father, infuriated, arranges a break-up.

By now, Gyeon-woo realizes how special the Girl is. He is unwilling to let her go. Upon being summoned to scout her date, he is disheartened to be labeled as a mere friend. Broken, he leaves the date with 10 rules one must follow to make the Girl happy. Unbeknownst to Gyeon-woo, the Girl hears these 10 rules and rushes to find him. They meet once again in the train station.

She asks him to write a letter and bring it with him. There, she unveils a time capsule where their letters will go inside and be buried next to a tree on a mountain for two years. In two years, they shall meet again to read the letters. Then they separate.

Gyeon-woo finds himself on the mountain in two years but does not find her there with him. Depressed, he opens the time capsule, finds a frog inside, and takes out her letter to read. The Girl had a boyfriend at first, who did everything she ever wanted and more. Like Gyeon-woo, he brought her a rose on their 100th day and like Gyeon-woo, met her on the train. She was happy and content, planning their lives together under the very tree and taking long walks in the sunset next to the lake. His sudden death left her heartbroken. A year passes without her feeling any better, tortured by her lost love. Meeting Gyeon-woo only makes her feel worse because all the things she does to him causes her to fall more and more for him. And the memories in her heart cannot let her go. She finally concludes that if they are really meant to be together, fate shall bring them back.

One year after Gyeon-Woo visited the tree, the Girl finally comes. Sitting under the tree is an old man. Throughout the conversation, the old man is very interested to find out why the Girl was one year late. The old man is Gyeon-Woo from the future. There are two explanations why the old Gyeon-Woo wants to find out why the Girl was one year late: (1) The Girl and Gyeon-Woo got married in the end but the Girl still refuses to tell him why she was one year late. (2) The Girl broke up with Gyeon-Woo again and he never found out why she was one year late. Throughout the movie, the relationship between Gyun-Woo and the Girl is a on-off bittersweet affair.

After the old man tells the Girl the touching story of the tree getting replaced by Gyeon-Woo (his younger self), the old man disappears and the Girl looks at the sky.. a tiny UFO flying across the sky and then vanishing. The Girl had mentioned a few times that she wished to meet someone from the future. Her wish is granted by the old Gyeon-Woo from the future.

After her encounter with the UFO, she proceeds to the place where her ex-boyfriend died from drowning. In a deleted scene from the director's cut, she throws the necklace into the sea. This symbolises that she has finally accepted Gyeon-Woo and put memories of her dead ex-boyfriend aside.

Near the end of the film when Gyeon-Woo opens the time capsule to read the Girl's letter, we find out that her ex-boyfriend died from drowning in a lake and that she and his mother makes a trip there each year in remembrance of the tragic event. She also says that her ex-boyfriend's mother has been trying to introduce someone to her so that she will move on.

Her ex-boyfriend's mother is actually Gyeon-Woo's aunt who since the beginning of the film wanted to introduce him to "a girl." Her short conversation with the Girl at the cafe, near the end of the film, before Gyeon-Woo arrives confirms this. Gyeon-Woo is actually the cousin of the Girl's ex-boyfriend.

In the final scene, they come full circle when they each realize that the one person they have been declining to meet over the years is the one person they have always wanted to see again, the one person that they had always been with before the break-up.

My Left Eye Sees Ghosts- Hong Kong romantic comedy Sammi Cheng stars as May, a girl who inherits a vast fortune when her rich husband drowns in a scuba diving accident after only seven days of marriage. May told several lies to win her husband, and his mother and sisters are less than pleased when they discover the truth. Nonetheless, the house, fortune, and a portion of the family fashion company are hers. Depressed and alone, May goes on a binge of eating, drinking, watching television and stealing from her own company's stores. The slippery slope leads her to go on a drunken joyride one night; she wrecks the car, but fortunately escapes with only a broken arm and an injury to her left eye.

Evading death gives May the ability to see the dead with her left eye.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Asian Movies
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2005, 15:43 »

Copying and pasting large amounts of Wikipedia text to start a thread is an annoying thing to do. Couldn't you just link it and then maybe provide some of your OWN opinions or thoughts?

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Asian Movies
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2005, 16:42 »

One of my favourite films is Hanabi by Takeshi Kitano.  Everybody should go and see it.

lingy

Asian Movies
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2005, 12:47 »

Quote from: Gryff
Copying and pasting large amounts of Wikipedia text to start a thread is an annoying thing to do. Couldn't you just link it and then maybe provide some of your OWN opinions or thoughts?

Oh, was it a rule?
I started the thread to show what my favorite asian movies were, and then synopsis to get people interested, you can provide your opinions and thoughts if you like.

geez. people are anal nowadays..

seaweed swimwear

Asian Movies
« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2005, 14:15 »

Wong Kar Wai films.  Fallen Angels and In The Mood for Love.

Simulacra

Asian Movies
« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2005, 14:18 »

I've been meaning to get into more asian films, but they're a bit hard to come by living, as i do, in the midwest where foreign film is largely a myth.  i like this thread, so if anyone has any other recommendations, i'd love to hear them.

1patheticloser

Asian Movies
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2005, 14:29 »

Have you seen 2046 yet, Seaweed? I'd only recommend it if you are already a Wong Kar Wai fan. It's slow and aggrevating (in a good way) like In The Mood For Love, odd like Chungking Express.

seaweed swimwear

Asian Movies
« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2005, 14:32 »

Actually 2046 is the only one I haven't seen.  I cancelled my Netflix right when it got to the top of the queue.  I'll watch it whenever I restart my Netflix.

Se7en

Asian Movies
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2005, 14:58 »

when i saw this thread title, i immediately thought of all the godawful bollywood movies out there.

lingy

Asian Movies
« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2005, 12:52 »

A ahahha Speaking of Bollywood has anyone heard of Bride and Prejudice? My friends made me watch it, but its pretty funny sometimes, they like poking fun at California.

2046 is beautiful, I really like Wong Kar Wai because his style is beautiful.

Meh, I'm really glad this thread didn't turn into a Jackie Chan Rush Hour/Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon wannabe thread...

although Drunken Master was really really good.

Although, none of you have probably heard of it, but I really want to see 'Nana'.

Praeserpium Machinarum

Asian Movies
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2005, 14:04 »

I thought Dark Water and Hero was good, but that's about the only asian films(besides animation flicks) I have seen, if you don't count the one I saw today about little tibetan boys becoming lamas. But that was hardly a movie. However, I refuse to see Kung Fu Hustle, just the title makes me nauseous.
I have seen a tidbit of Seven Samurais but I wasn't really intrigued...

lingy

Asian Movies
« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2005, 14:53 »

See...Hero, was more eyecandy if anything. But for some reason I just found it terrible.

The acting, the personalities...

it was just so...weak.

Plus, it brings up the fact that Zhang Ziyi is a slut in every single one of her movies.

Now she's in one about Geisha's -.-;;

AND she dated Jackie Chan's son and thats why she's in Rush Hour 2

-shudders-

1patheticloser

Asian Movies
« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2005, 15:46 »

Well she wasn't that much of a slut in....no.....well....she was only really with the one guy in Crouching Tiger....ok....you win.

Also, in terms of Bollywood, the movie Lagaan is amazing. It's a four hour epic about cricket. Like the game. And there's singing. So much awesome.

Oh, and what's the opinion of Oldboy around these parts? In some other circles it's lauded as God's gift to movies...I mean I liked it and all. Bonus points because of the sheer disturbed nature of the plot.

Simulacra

Asian Movies
« Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2005, 01:02 »

dude, please don't mention Lagaan.  my old roommate made me watch that with him and if i weren't so utterly appalled i would have laughed my ass off.  yes, the whole thing, right off.  i mean, a musical? about CRICKET????  anywho, when i used to have the Sundance channel, I ran into some decent asian documentary-type movies.  anyone know where i might find those or something like it?

mrjjbobo

Asian Movies
« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2005, 08:47 »

I wanted to come to the aid of Kung Fu Hustle. Honestly, seriously, I am a movie buff. I watch tons and think about what I am watching. I've taken film annalysis classes and write reviews for local publications. It's not to toot my horn, it's to establish that I am not a film bumpkin.

Kung Fu Hustle is, in my opinion, the best Movie of the Year. It's eye candy, it's rediculous, it's entertaining. I mean, if you go in expecting something like Hero or 2046 (not saying their similar, just different from KFH) you will be sorely dissapointed. But watch it to be entertained, and I swear it will entertain you.

I am also a big fan of Zatochi the blind samurai series of films, they run on IFC from time to time, and they recently came out on DVD.

Oh, and to defend hero, I don't think plot and character were the main things they were trying to promote. I think it was more on the visual, and in that I was very pleased with it. I really liked the theme they had with seasons and the very distinct and pssionate color schemes.

I just make sure I don't make the mistake of expecting great acting out of Jet Li (although I was surprised by him in that movie with morgan freeman that I can't beleive I forgot the name of because I saw it in theatres and everything, I don't think it was an amazing movie, but I thought Jet Li did better-than-average acting)

Yasser

Asian Movies
« Reply #15 on: 01 Oct 2005, 13:42 »

i'm guessing everyone has seen Ong Bak, whether or not they're big on asian movies.
Sex is Zero is a good comedy, much like Old School/American Pie (so either you'll find it funny or just dumb and not funny).
Casshern is a decent sci-fi flick with nice cg and one of those plots that fool you into thinking it's really deep when it's not.
brain has gone blank, can only think of Advent Children now..

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Asian Movies
« Reply #16 on: 01 Oct 2005, 15:08 »

The Happiness of the Katakuris for the fucked up musical black comedy win.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

noise_wave

Asian Movies
« Reply #17 on: 01 Oct 2005, 15:48 »

The One Upon A Time In China movies are by far the greatest, though if you must chose only one of the three to watch then watch the first. It is the best. Another good one is Ong Bak. If you want a comedy Asian movie, Kung Fu Hustle is pretty funny. Quite ridiculous, but in a good way.

noise_wave

Asian Movies
« Reply #18 on: 01 Oct 2005, 15:52 »

I also forgot to mention: If you have seen Kung Fu Hustle and you enjoyed it, you will probably like Shaolin Soccer which is also directed by Stephen Chow. It is quite awesome as well!

shrimp

Asian Movies
« Reply #19 on: 01 Oct 2005, 15:58 »

The central heating is on and my brain is slowly melting BUT... has anyone mentioned Versus? That movie rocked my sox!

Also Old Boy was utterly amazing, the sheeer ickiness and fucked-up-ed-ness (wow new word) was great. The story was awesome.

There was another movie about spirals and a town with a curse of them, that led to people dying in interesting ways and stuff, I can't remember the name, I will ask the fiance and post it later, but that was good too.

Tinjessla

Asian Movies
« Reply #20 on: 02 Oct 2005, 03:55 »

All good things said about 2046 = YES. I have to say that it's the most beautiful film i've ever seen. Oh, and Kung Fu Hustle has been, so far, the funniest film i've seen all year.

Zatoichi is an ace film, (staring the infamous Beat Takeshi) if only for the farm workers who dance and hit out a beat with thier tools whilst harvesting.

The Happiness of the Katsukari's, Save The Green Planet and Gozu are top films too, mainly due to just how insane they are. So insane it warrants italics.

shrimp

Asian Movies
« Reply #21 on: 02 Oct 2005, 09:19 »

^ agreed

The movie I was trying to remember the name of was Uzumaki.  It was good.

Vlishgnath

Asian Movies
« Reply #22 on: 02 Oct 2005, 09:45 »

For the Wong Kar Wai fans:  He has another movie in the "In the Mood for Love" and "2046" world called "Yesterday 2020" that was just released in China last month.  It hasn't hit DVD yet, but I've desperately been willing it to do so.  I love the story he's created there.  "Yesterday 2020" is, if I recall correctly when I saw the synopsis some weeks ago, a police/crime drama that predates the story of both previous movies.

Tsui Hark's "Legend of Zu" was great fun if you're into the fantasy style asian cinema.

"Casshern" remains one of the most appreciated movies in my collection.  I think anyone that likes the idea of a live action anime should definately see it.  The presentation of the story makes it seem very deep, and it is deeper than the average action flick, but it's by no means Shakespeare.  It's really on par with a decent anime, which was the purpose of the movie (recreation of the anime Casshan: Robot Hunter) and the overlying idea is to hold an exaggerated mirror up to the real world.  For what it was, I think it hit its mark very well.

For the Stephen Chow maniacs (Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer), if you're really into his work, check out "God of Cookery".  You won't be disappointed.  I can't say I'd reccomend it to the casual Asian film fan, however.  I think it's a great movie, but I'm just a huge fan of his stuff so I'm probably biased.

zerofiftysix

Asian Movies
« Reply #23 on: 03 Oct 2005, 18:34 »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/PairofShoes/Movies/beijingbicycle.jpg" align=left> Beijing Bicycle

Okay, its been some time since I've actually seen this movie but from what I remember, it was a hella good movie.  It's about this guy who gets a job delivering stuff in Beijing.  The company gives him a bicycle and he has to work without getting paid until he has paid off the bike.  So, its very important to him, its how he gets around and stuff.  Anyway, inevitably the bike gets stolen and sold to a Chinese student.  The Chinese student takes the bike to impress a girl but at the same time he has to hide it from his parents since his parents don't really want him to have a bike.  So there's that.  After a while the worker guy (original owner of the bike) and the Chinese student meet each other and they struggle over the bike.  Since none of them actually stole from the other it's a tough situation.  

But the movie is good.  Very interesting and it gives a very nice view into Chinese society.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/PairofShoes/Movies/together-with.jpg" align=left> Together (he ni zai yi qi)

This is my favorite Chinese movie and one of my favorite movies of all time.  It's about this boy who is phenominal at the violin.  He's from the country and his father is the typical country bumkin.  They move to Beijing so that the boy can get a better education for his music.  So his father tries  to find him a teacher.  

It's a very touching story.  I ALMOST cried the first time I saw it.  ALMOST.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Asian Movies
« Reply #24 on: 04 Oct 2005, 11:23 »

Casshern is gorgeous.  the way that CGI should be.  i don't really give a shit about the story.  he jumps up into the air and back down through a bunch of robots.  Rock.

Shaolin Soccer is hilarious.  i watched an undubbed/unsubbed import a while ago and was still laughing my ass off.

House of Flying Daggers is another movie with gorgeous cinematography and plenty of action, but i was totally non-plussed with the story.

if you have seen many of the old & lame/awesome chinese Kung Fu movies then Iron Monkey is an absolute must.  i am still unsure as to whether it is an homage or just a modern movie made in the same style, but it is hilarious.

there is another movie i saw a while back but i can't remember the name of it.  something about a little girl who gets sent back in time to save the world from aliens that crash-land on earth.  she takes back something that can slow down time for a short while.  she hooks up with a hitman or something like that, i think.  i know that that's all very vague, but i can't remember anything else.  i remember that it was pretty cool, though.  if anyone can illuminate me some more then that'd be great.

Simulacra

Asian Movies
« Reply #25 on: 05 Oct 2005, 00:06 »

it's called The Returners and you guys have just magnified my foreign film obsession tenfold.  I'm with all of the Stephen Chow fans here.  saw Shaolin Soccer in a hotel room in beijing many years ago and have been hooked ever since.  I have yet to get into the Wong Kar Wai films, but plan to as soon as i can find them.  Some of those others sound pretty awesome too, so i have my next few rentals all lined up.

dessa

Asian Movies
« Reply #26 on: 05 Oct 2005, 00:12 »

i've been meaning to watch this hong kong movie called internal affairs for a while, but haven't got around to it.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Asian Movies
« Reply #27 on: 05 Oct 2005, 00:24 »

Infernal Affairs.  See it before the Hollywood remake's released!

oceansaway

Asian Movies
« Reply #28 on: 05 Oct 2005, 02:08 »

That first movie sounds really interesting.

Grumpus

Asian Movies
« Reply #29 on: 06 Oct 2005, 04:37 »

Lone Wolf and Cub on The river Styx.

Weirdest movie I've ever said. I actualy have to many asain movies I love to list but that was the most memorable. It was extreamly violent had bizzare sound effect and was just generaly bizzare. Good for severed limbs and immposible amounts of blood though.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Asian Movies
« Reply #30 on: 06 Oct 2005, 09:56 »

I've been meaning to watch Ong-Bak for some time now.

Jed

• The German Chancellory building
Asian Movies
« Reply #31 on: 07 Oct 2005, 00:47 »

My favorites: Ichi the Killer, Battle Royale, Friend, Spirited Away, Full Time Killer. Just to name a few good movies...
"To say that Columbus discovered America is by no means inaccurate! I discover things people already knew about all the time!"

decklin

Asian Movies
« Reply #32 on: 10 Oct 2005, 08:32 »

Vlishgnath, was this one different from "Days of Being Wild"? (I know the way they do english titles can be kinda weird). I've yet to track that one down.

2046 finally made it to the art-house where I live the other week. I don't think it was quite as good as ITMFL, but still, it was amazing.

Vlishgnath

Asian Movies
« Reply #33 on: 10 Oct 2005, 09:53 »

Quote from: decklin
Vlishgnath, was this one different from "Days of Being Wild"?

Yeah, that's another Kar Wai Wong movie altogether.  Japanese title for 'Days' is 'A Fei jing jueni'.  'In the Mood''s Japanese title is 'Fa yeung nin wa'.

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
Asian Movies
« Reply #34 on: 10 Oct 2005, 12:51 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
I've been meaning to watch Ong-Bak for some time now.

Ong Bak is awsomeness in it's purest form. The plot is pretty sketchy, but you can forgive that in a film that's basically a showcase of the lead man (Tony Jaa?) and his remarkable abilities. It's got some eeeeww moments in it, mainly because Thai Boxing is all elbows and knees. And there's the guy with the leg and it bends the wrong way and it goes crack and I was all like eeew

Hero and House of Flying Daggers also feature excessive quantities of awsome.
Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

Garcin

Asian Movies
« Reply #35 on: 10 Oct 2005, 13:12 »

First my controversial opinions.  I found Hero patently offensive (but beautiful).  I couldn't get over the fact that Zhang Yimou, previously a furiously independent director, had been coopted by China's dictatorship, and had created a blatant apologia for authoritarian rule, and indirectly, for the human rights abuses that territorial control over culturally distinct minorities implies.

You might be thinking "Jeez man, it's just a friggin movie -- chillax!" -- and I wish I could chillax -- but I can't.  I couldn't get out of my head what the message of the movie was, and it completely destroyed the meaning of the movie for me -- to the extent that when the assassin spares the emperor's life, I wanted to leave the theater.

House of Hidden Daggers I found again beautiful, but so laughably incoherent that again, I was unable to enjoy it.  One of those movies that I really wish came with a stupid pill.  Although I saw it on my friend's projection TV in the company of some very fine chilled vodka, so we we laughed our way through it a la Mystery Science Theater 3000, and overall it was a good experience.

On the plus side?  I could go on and on (in fact -- I have already!) but fans of anime should definitely check out Mamoru Oshii's (Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell II) Avalon, which is live action in sepia tones, and out-Matrixes the fuck out of the Matrix.  To quote some clever reviewer dude, it is also the first time that modern day Poland has been used as a special effect.

The Wong Kar Wai trilogy is obviously stellar, and Ong-Bak was fun if somewhat pandering. I'm one of the people who loved Oldboy, and next on my list of Asian cinema is definitely Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, followed by Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

Also -- Kurosawa? The Seven Samarai?  The Hidden Fortress?  Kagemusha?  Rashomon?  Need I say more?

Finally -- Infernal affairs.  Shee-it, that was a rush.  John Woo, eat your heart out.

EDIT: Grammar & spelling.

shrimp

Asian Movies
« Reply #36 on: 10 Oct 2005, 15:29 »

Has anyone seen "A tale of Two sisters"? I really liked that movie.

I LOVE asian Horror :) check it out, its great! :)

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Asian Movies
« Reply #37 on: 10 Oct 2005, 18:34 »

Are we talking specifically about movies from asia, or asian cinema?  

If it's the latter, has anyone seen Better Luck Tomorrow  I was thinking of watching it but I wanted some opinions.

Since I'm already on the topic...one of the strangest (and funnier) Indian films I've ever seen is Srinivas Krishna's Masala, a little Canadian gem that you should really check out if you get the chance.

decklin

Asian Movies
« Reply #38 on: 10 Oct 2005, 20:41 »

Moiche: to be honest, I found that part (the end) moving. I did not read it politically. Are you saying he was co-opted because of the result, or was there actual arm-twisting going on here?

Garcin

Asian Movies
« Reply #39 on: 10 Oct 2005, 21:01 »

Both actually.  But I have no intention of threadjacking with my personal take on South-East Asian politics and its effects on Chinese cinema.  If you're interested in chatting about this, shoot me a PM.

Tinjessla

Asian Movies
« Reply #40 on: 11 Oct 2005, 06:05 »

Quote from: shrimp
Has anyone seen "A tale of Two sisters"? I really liked that movie.

I LOVE asian Horror :) check it out, its great! :)

Yaar! That was a great film. Like most asian horror films, it had that eerie 'worm it's way into your pysche' feel to it. However, there'll most likely be an annoying Hollywood remake.

shrimp

Asian Movies
« Reply #41 on: 11 Oct 2005, 07:42 »

More than likely... they Hollywood LOVES to take a great scary and somewhat poignant tale, rip all the heart and fear from it, stick a few name stars and expect us to fall about ourselves with awe.

keyoung

• Plantmonster
Asian Movies
« Reply #42 on: 16 Oct 2005, 21:52 »

Oh, and what's the opinion of Oldboy around these parts? In some other circles it's lauded as God's gift to movies...I mean I liked it and all. Bonus points because of the sheer disturbed nature of the plot.

I would like to write a paper for a philosophy class on why Aristotle would absolutely love Oldboy.  "The perfect plot should evoke pity and fear.  The perfect plot consists in a flawed man passing from happiness to misery due to some error blah blah blah" (Poetics).  Really, the whole movie is a neo-Greek-tragedy.
(I like the movie).

Jed

• The German Chancellory building
Asian Movies
« Reply #43 on: 17 Oct 2005, 01:10 »

Everything by Akira Kurosawa!
"To say that Columbus discovered America is by no means inaccurate! I discover things people already knew about all the time!"

lingy

Asian Movies
« Reply #44 on: 17 Oct 2005, 20:09 »

Stephen Chow movies are good yeah. =D I've always loved that typical crazy hong kong random ridiculous humor, i just recently watched one called the flirting scholar in chinese school O.o

soap

Asian Movies
« Reply #45 on: 19 Oct 2005, 04:49 »

is stephen chow the guy who made king of comedy ... because that had one of the most freakish scenes iv seen in a film

why was he flicking that little kids willy!?!?

keyoung

• Plantmonster
Asian Movies
« Reply #46 on: 19 Oct 2005, 08:48 »

is stephen chow the guy who made king of comedy ... because that had one of the most freakish scenes iv seen in a film

Holy crap.  King of Comedy was the first Stephen Chow film my friend showed me (mistakenly thinking that it was Love on Deilvery).  A few minutes into it one of his roommates came in and screamed "Why are you showing her the penis flicking movie?!"
When we finally got around to watching Love on Delivery it was actually pretty funny.  (I didn't think King of Comedy was very good, even if ignoring the penis flicking).

Bunnyman

Asian Movies
« Reply #47 on: 19 Oct 2005, 21:56 »

Also -- Kurosawa? The Seven Samarai? The Hidden Fortress? Kagemusha? Rashomon? Need I say more?

Yes, you forgot Ran and Yojimbo.  Hooray for Kurosawa.

Sword of Doom.  It's just amazing.  I'd call it the Audition of Samurai movies...not to spoil anything, but it's somewhat unexpected to say the least.

Kung-Fu Hustle...a tapestry of absurdity as only Chow could do it.

No one's mentioned Attack The Gas Station.  I'm amazed.  Nay, appalled.

Hanabi's great, Sonatine is arguably on an equal footing.  One's a touching love story interspersed with people getting chopsticks in the eye, the other's "Stupid Games Yakuza Play when Bored" interspersed with the odd gunfight.  Either way...

I guess Hard Boiled and The Killer were too obvious to post.

The first two movies in the Dead or Alive trilogy are quite insane, as only Miike could do insane.  Required viewing.

Watch Tetsuo: The Iron Man in one sitting.  I dare you.

Daniel

Asian Movies
« Reply #48 on: 01 Nov 2005, 02:36 »

Quote from: shrimp
BUT... has anyone mentioned Versus? That movie rocked my sox!

Hell yeah. More asskickery than almost all movies. Style over substance to a ridiculous degree, but also ridiculously sweet.

An intruiging article about the current flood of American remakes of Asian horror films; - http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=8079

peep101

Asian Movies
« Reply #49 on: 01 Nov 2005, 04:11 »

I've owned Tetsuo on DVD for about 3yrs now and still never watched it,  the film actually reached the end once but I'd fallen into a drunken stupour round about the drill penis.

I didn't see Sympathy for Mr Vengeance mentioned anywhere, to be honest I thought Old Boy was far superior purely because it's not quite so bleak (and that's saying something) and had that stunning corridor fight.

Miike's Gozu is top quality in my opinion, by far the weirdest homoerotic psycho-sexual gangster film I've seen in a while.

One to avoid at all costs is a Korean one released recently called something like Lost City.  It's a asian Bladerunner with all the joy and interest sucked out of it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up