THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Asian Movies  (Read 27023 times)

RollOfDimes

Asian Movies
« Reply #50 on: 22 Nov 2005, 14:44 »

Most awesome asian flick evarr... Battle Royale.  

Basically, a carp-load of teenagers who misbehaved are all put on an island. They are each giving weapons, varying from machine guns to frying pans. They have belts on that will explode unless all but ONE person is dead in three days.

It owns.

FaultyGluestick

Asian Movies
« Reply #51 on: 22 Nov 2005, 17:33 »

Stormrider is my favourite "serious" asian movie.  Most of my all time favourites are comedies such as Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle with Stephen Chow.

FaultyGluestick

Asian Movies
« Reply #52 on: 22 Nov 2005, 17:39 »

Quote from: soap
is stephen chow the guy who made king of comedy ... because that had one of the most freakish scenes iv seen in a film

why was he flicking that little kids willy!?!?

Wasn't it an old woman who flicked his thing?

Bunnyman

Asian Movies
« Reply #53 on: 22 Nov 2005, 21:42 »

Quote from: peep101
Miike's Gozu is top quality in my opinion, by far the weirdest homoerotic psycho-sexual gangster film I've seen in a while.

What can I say, the man's a master of that genre.

peep101

Asian Movies
« Reply #54 on: 26 Nov 2005, 07:54 »

Has anyone seen Miike's 'Izo'?  It's impossible to find here in Sweden and even on the net yet it seems like such a big film.

I'm holding out for a friend getting tickets to the new Chan-Wook Park (correct placing of ' - '?) 'Lady Vengeance' at the Stockholm film festival this weekend.  Sounds fantastic, apparently less gory but more disturbing than 'Sympathy... ' and 'Oldboy'.

Bunnyman

Asian Movies
« Reply #55 on: 27 Nov 2005, 01:02 »

Saw Izo at the Seattle International Film Festival.

It's Miike's magnum opus.  However, it's impossible to take in one sitting.

In essence, it's really just a two-hour orgy of murder, with some sex and stuff thrown in.  Any movie where the main character slips haphazardly through time and space, slaughtering schoolgirls, sararimen, WWI soldiers, zombies, and lots more is fine by me, but it's insanely disorienting.  The soundtrack, featuring some guy hammering away on an acoustic guitar and signing/wailing/screeching ballads contributes admirably to the effect.

And Takeshi Kitano does a bang-up job as the leader of a cabal of...um...dudes chasing down the titular anti-hero.

See it.

Bunnyman

Asian Movies
« Reply #56 on: 27 Nov 2005, 02:30 »

Comparing the two is as futile an exercise as the objective appraisal of apples and oranges.  One's an obscenely stylish revenge flick, the other's a touching love story that happens to be chock-full of torture, mutilation, and tempura batter.

Trampo

Asian Movies
« Reply #57 on: 10 Dec 2005, 18:21 »

Battle Royale is an ace film, no doubt about that, seen Cashern but was left unimpressed and vaguely annoyed by the plot in general. The Grudge is a pretty cool horror film havent seen the remake but this was the first time in a while that a film actually made me feel tense for longer than ten second segments, very good, I highly recommend it!

If your up for a rubbish film that has some charm watch American Desi, although at the time I had an Indian girlfriend who explained half the jokes its still good for a laugh.

Rawr and Stuff

Asian Movies
« Reply #58 on: 10 Dec 2005, 20:54 »

I loved Battle Royale. A truly cool movie. The second one wasn't as good though. Then you have to have Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle on the list.

And for anyone who's heard of it, "Three Extremes..." is alright, just because of the Korean movie in it.

Bunnyman

Asian Movies
« Reply #59 on: 11 Dec 2005, 02:04 »

On further analysis, talking about "Asian" movies is very much like talking about "Gay & Lesbian" movies, except instead of keeping all that icky guy-on-guy out of the public eye, you're making people feel effete.

But I digress.  And a friend of mine argued that the Chan-Woon Park segment of Three Extremes was in fact the weakest of the three, and that the Fruit Chan one was far superior.  Then again, I might wish to view said film before forwarding such attitudes, but the dichotomy was most amusing.

jariku

Asian Movies
« Reply #60 on: 11 Dec 2005, 02:29 »

Quote from: Awkward Silence
I haven't seen Oldboy yet, but judging from what I've heard, it's better. Opinions?

It's great. It'll make you go "eww" occasionally, but being such an entertaining mindfuck, that won't matter.

nescience

Asian Movies
« Reply #61 on: 12 Dec 2005, 09:37 »

Battle Royale 2 was certainly not as good as its predecessor, but fucked-upness points to the younger Fukasaku for having the Wild Seven blow up a pair of twin towers in the beginning and having Shuya be all about Afghanistan.

But hey... how about the live-action Cutie Honey movie??  Is pretty awesome.  And what about Jisatsu Saakuru (Suicide Club)?  It's a beautiful, damaged film that touches on a lot of issues of identity in Japanese society.  I think of it as a kind of Alice in Wonderland meets Fight Club... only lots of children kill themselves.  And what about 20 30 40?  And Tokyo Story?  And Tampopo?  Watching Tampopo makes me salivate ramen broth.

georgemandingo

Asian Movies
« Reply #62 on: 24 Dec 2005, 16:47 »

'Suicide club' didn't do much for me, the plot is pretty thin, the violence is over the top, so I really didn't like it...It was recomended to me by someone who told me that I would like it because I liked 'Battle Royale', boy was he wrong...I'll be honest, outside of 'Dolls', 'Zatoichi', old shaolin films & Donnie Yen movies, I'm pretty biased for the Hong Kong triad shoot em ups...Any Old Woo, (especially 'A better tomorrow 1 & 2), or almost any movie where Chow Yun Fat shoots somebody in cold blood, I like...

georgemandingo

Asian Movies
« Reply #63 on: 25 Dec 2005, 00:12 »

...and 'last life in the universe', that was very good too...

Bunnyman

Asian Movies
« Reply #64 on: 26 Dec 2005, 03:10 »

Quote from: nescience
Battle Royale 2 was certainly not as good as its predecessor, but fucked-upness points to the younger Fukasaku for having the Wild Seven blow up a pair of twin towers in the beginning and having Shuya be all about Afghanistan.

Or, for that matter, watching Riki Takeuchi guzzle painkillers like they were green tea.

Quote from: nescience
Jisatsu Saakuru (Suicide Club)[/url]?  It's a beautiful, damaged film that touches on a lot of issues of identity in Japanese society.

A day in the life of a Tokyo Metropolitan Railroad janitor, p'raps?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up