THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 00:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good news for people who love bad news  (Read 9311 times)

Arcen dawn

Good news for people who love bad news
« on: 22 Sep 2005, 15:58 »

Does this album just make anyone else so intensely happy?

Aphi

« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2005, 16:09 »

=raises her hand= Please add, 3,497 votes for me.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2005, 16:10 »

In an attempt to make this thread even vaguely interesting, how about the news that Modest Mouse (or more likely their record label) are re-releasing 'Good News…' in dual disc format?

Apparently the original album will have the 'Float On' b-side 'I've Got It All (Most)' stuck smack-bang in the middle of the album, and the flipside will have interviews, videos, short films and the like.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-09/22.shtml#modestmouse

How do you feel about bands re-releasing material, especially so soon after they first came out? Is it all just a money-making scam? Or are they catering to the demands of fans?

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2005, 18:05 »

I like Modest Mouse enough to hope that they are doing it because they believe that the material is truly interesting and worth selling.

Merkava

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2005, 18:51 »

Same, though I prefer the older cover of Moon & Antarctica vastly over the new one. What is that, a moose mashed with a deer that's been blurred to look like an ink blot? That's just unnatractive. :P

Still, I'd say Good News... is worth buying all over again. I'm probably the only person on the planet who thinks they sound better than ever. XP

The prospect of Isaac Brock interviewing himself just makes his alleged assholery much more appealing.

Micolithe

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2005, 19:01 »

TM&A is their best
Second is Lonesome Crowded West,
Good News is third.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2005, 19:29 »

The Moon and Antarctica is good news for people who love Good News For People Who Love Bad News.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

sjbrot

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2005, 19:47 »

I have trouble getting behind someone rereleasing something so soon after the original release date. I think a rerelease is only really waranted if the album is older, maybe needs remastering and has become iconic. An album like London Calling deserves to be rereleased with all the bells and whistles, because it has become part of the social lexicon. Also, alot of the material on the reissue can help fans take a fresh look at an old favorite.

Good News, its merits aside, has been around for a year, and I'm not sure how much good the extras will actually do. It all just stinks of a Sony plot to suck money out of the fanbase.

Gryff

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2005, 20:57 »

^ My thoughts exactly. Although the hardcore fans will lap it up, it's kind of a slap in the face to anyone who rushed out and bought the album in the first week and now finds that there's a newer, flashier version out there.

sp2

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2005, 22:03 »

I'm pretty sure most Hardcore fans would rather be listening to rereleases of Minor Threat rather than Modest Mouse.

practicality

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2005, 23:55 »

I like Modest Mouse and the album well enough... but there are other things I'd much rather listen to.

ObsoleteDonkey

« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2005, 00:29 »

The album took forever to grow on me, and I think the extreme happiness of it was the reason. Now I can listen to all sorts of happy music. It's a really good pop album, which is really uncommon these days. People don't make good pop albums all that much anymore. Essentially most pop artists just put out compilations of singles for money, but Modest Mouse have managed to create a cohesive album with strong songs (and Mellotron, which is an instant WIN).

Jarne

« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2005, 04:47 »

I love Modest Mouse, I really do, but this is too much. I'm not going to buy the "new and enhanced" version of a decent album that's only a year old.

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2005, 04:47 »

I don't see how any song besides "Float On" on Good News qualifies as "happy."

Merkava

« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2005, 12:05 »

Quote from: sp2
I'm pretty sure most Hardcore fans would rather be listening to rereleases of Minor Threat rather than Modest Mouse.

Uh..."hardcore" doesn't always mean "Hardcore".

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2005, 12:14 »

I am pretty sure he's just being obnoxious ;)

and it's not even really that happy, more like hopelessly defiant if y'all ask me.

sjbrot

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2005, 13:42 »

I feel mildly cheated by the new version Antics that came out as well. I paid a good chunk of change for it when it first came out, and now, under a year later, they release a cheaper version with remixes and et cetera.

sp2

« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2005, 16:39 »

Quote from: Merkava
Uh..."hardcore" doesn't always mean "Hardcore".

I couldn't possibly by any stretch of the imagination have been attempting a bit of humor here, now could I?

Merkava

« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2005, 18:34 »

No. Honestly, it is impossible for you to make ANY sort of joke. No. Never.

mediocrity_wire

« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2005, 20:36 »

I'm listening to that album RIGHT NOW!
RIGHT NOW!
WHOOOAOAOOAOA

Luke

« Reply #20 on: 23 Sep 2005, 22:37 »

The Interlude is the best track on that album.

ObsoleteDonkey

« Reply #21 on: 24 Sep 2005, 00:26 »

^ I have an tiny pump organ that sounds exactly like the one that they built and used on that track. I play the Interlude for kicks when I'm feeling like a pirate, or just have nothing else to do.

Luke

« Reply #22 on: 24 Sep 2005, 01:09 »

Can you do the vocals too? I can do the vocals. My friends think I'm strange for it; I consider it a talent.

Merkava

« Reply #23 on: 24 Sep 2005, 11:34 »

I can do Isaac's vocals. Not in the interlude (didn't even know it had vocals), though. Not sure how it really sounds, but it seems right in my head. Better acoustics, I guess. :p

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #24 on: 24 Sep 2005, 14:25 »

I hate it when a label re-releases a recent cd with all sorts of bells and whistles attached to the original cuts.  I never buy them, because they are nothing more than tricks to make more money.  If this stuff is any good, why wasn't it on the original album.  Yeah, interviews, videos and stuff are nice, but in most cases I really don't care, or just find them online somewhere.

It is too bad that Modest Mouse is doing this because I respected them, dug their music and so on.  It is alright when no talent goobers like Interpol do it because no one will care about them in a year or two anyway.

The only re-issues I have bought are the two Pavement ones (gave me a ton of tracks from EP's I didn't have, and the books with them are really cool), and the Dinosaur Jr. ones (because I lost the originals and you couldn't find them new anywhere until they were re-issued under a new label).

And I guess some of my Yes, King Crimson and Cream cds are re-issues... but I wasn't even alive when they were originally re-leased, so they don't count.

sp2

« Reply #25 on: 24 Sep 2005, 17:45 »

Quote from: Tartar Martyr
It is too bad that Modest Mouse is doing this...It is alright when no talent goobers...do it.

IRONY!  I LOVE IT!!!

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #26 on: 24 Sep 2005, 18:04 »

Quote from: sp2
It is too bad that Modest Mouse is doing this...It is alright when no talent goobers...do it.

IRONY!  I LOVE IT!!!

haha your musical preference is different from mine!!!  You are a funny guy!

Jarne

« Reply #27 on: 24 Sep 2005, 18:23 »

Obviously enough people want all those extra bells and whistles, otherwise they wouldn't buy them and people would stop selling them.

OH EM GEE CAPITOLIZAM!!111!11

Seriously, I don't see why someone would complain. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

Luke

« Reply #28 on: 24 Sep 2005, 19:13 »

By the way, I've always really liked the song "Float On" - not just because it was released as a single (I actually have the album), but because it is nearly the only song on the album in which I can sing along through the whole thing. Most of the time, the songs are too far above my range. Also, the video was, well, just cool.

But I still stand beside my comment on the Interlude. It's fun to sing that with your Modest-Mouse-loving friend in school, especially when nobody around you has any idea what the heck you're doing.

Also, Jarne: yes.

ramenXnoodles

« Reply #29 on: 25 Sep 2005, 08:25 »

I'll probably rebuy this, I lost my copy.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #30 on: 25 Sep 2005, 08:32 »

Quote from: Aphi

=Raises his hand= Second'd.

Not even "The World at Large"? I always think that one has a kind of lazy, contented happiness to it.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Merkava

« Reply #31 on: 25 Sep 2005, 09:45 »

"Why should I remain" doesn't seem like a happy lyric to me. That's a song about "what the heck am I doing here? Why should I keep living?"

It leads into Float On pretty well. I like to consider them two parts of one song.

Float On seemed like a good closer to me. It seems odd when you have a burst of optimism at the beginning of a downward spiral, rather than the end.

sp2

« Reply #32 on: 25 Sep 2005, 11:54 »

haha your musical preference is different from mine!!!  You are a funny guy!

There are people out there who think Interpol are very talented.  There are people out there who think Modest Mouse are very talented.  This is the irony.

At least, part of the irony.  The other part of the irony is that Modest Mouse are a no-talent indie cliche.  Meat Puppets did it so much better, really.

heretic

« Reply #33 on: 25 Sep 2005, 12:20 »

modest mouse was the first indie i really got into. i lvoe them with all my heart. if they sell out hardcore with this rerelease and thier kidzBop track, i really won't care, becasue thier music hasn't really changed much. they still do thier own style, and now they can make money off it. the only time a money making scheme from them will bug me is when they change thier music to appeal to the charlatans and make more moeny. other than that i can download what i don't think is fair to pay for, i.e. the second side when i already bought the album.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #34 on: 25 Sep 2005, 12:28 »

Quote from: Merkava
"Why should I remain" doesn't seem like a happy lyric to me. That's a song about "what the heck am I doing here? Why should I keep living?"

*shakes head*

I think it's a song about wanderlust: The world's at large, why should I stay stuck in this little bit of it? There could be something great out there! sorry everyone, I'm offski.

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #35 on: 25 Sep 2005, 13:17 »

Quote from: Switchblade
Quote from: Aphi

=Raises his hand= Second'd.

Um, don't you mean 3,498 through 6,994thed?

Quote from: Switchblade
Quote from: Valrus

Not even "The World at Large"? I always think that one has a kind of lazy, contented happiness to it.

Lazy, maybe; contented, no way! The lyrics are way too restless: "Gonna find another place, maybe one I can stand"... "They both make me feel a little less insane"... "Why does it always feel like I'm caught in an undertow?" and "My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth" seem like the words of a pretty agitated person to me.

It is about wanderlust, but it's wanderlust due to being discontent with where you are, not due to excitement about exploring.

By the way, sp2, I'd just like to say that you've totally changed my mind about Modest Mouse and made me realize that even though I like their music because I think it sounds good, the fact that they're not the first ones to do something like it totally invalidates my opinion and negates any talent they may have for what I previously perceived as catchy songwriting and reasonably thoughtful lyrics.

So thanks for opening my eyes; having accomplished what I can only assume was your purpose, you can shut the fuck up now.

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: Good news for people who love bad news
« Reply #36 on: 25 Sep 2005, 13:18 »

Quote from: Arcen dawn
Does this album just make anyone else so intensely happy?

I liked it much more then Moon Over Antartica though that one wasn't bad either.

Merkava

« Reply #37 on: 25 Sep 2005, 16:48 »

Am I the only one who thinks that This is a Long Drive... is better than Lonesome Crowded West?

Sorry; off topic. :P

I don't see how Modest Mouse are Indie cliches. Most Indie out there sounds nothing like them. I mean, I can draw comparisons to Pavement, Built to Spill, and the Pixies, but who cares? They sound different. They're more off-kilter, I feel.

I must check out these so-called Meat Puppets, though. They interest me.

sp2

« Reply #38 on: 25 Sep 2005, 18:00 »

Meat Puppets are fucking OLD SCHOOL.

Nirvana did some covers of some of their songs, actually...

Lake of Fire, Oh Me, and Plateau are all Meat Puppets songs.

Gryff

« Reply #39 on: 25 Sep 2005, 18:04 »

Meat Puppets ftw!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #40 on: 26 Sep 2005, 02:59 »

Lazy, maybe; contented, no way! The lyrics are way too restless: "Gonna find another place, maybe one I can stand"... "They both make me feel a little less insane"... "Why does it always feel like I'm caught in an undertow?" and "My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth" seem like the words of a pretty agitated person to me.

It is about wanderlust, but it's wanderlust due to being discontent with where you are, not due to excitement about exploring.

Fair point. I retract the "contented". There is a peacefulness to it, though. It's all long, lazy notes, very calm. It doesn't sound restless is the point. A song about moving away, but doing so at your own pace... and then you move into "Float On" which is all active and mobile, at a steady Andante - a walking pace. It's a good contrast, and to me kind of signifies the journey itself.

Um, don't you mean 3,498 through 6,994thed?

Maybe, but I couldn't be bothered to go into that much detail.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #41 on: 26 Sep 2005, 14:12 »

The Meat Puppets are fucking ace and you should all seriously buy "Too High To Die".
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

sp2

« Reply #42 on: 26 Sep 2005, 17:08 »

And Meat Puppets II.

Luke

« Reply #43 on: 26 Sep 2005, 22:06 »

By the way, sp2, I'd just like to say that you've totally changed my mind about Modest Mouse and made me realize that even though I like their music because I think it sounds good, the fact that they're not the first ones to do something like it totally invalidates my opinion and negates any talent they may have for what I previously perceived as catchy songwriting and reasonably thoughtful lyrics.

So thanks for opening my eyes; having accomplished what I can only assume was your purpose, you can shut the fuck up now.

I thought you were actually serious right up til the end there.

Also, I like the lyrics in Dance Hall. And yes, you guess it, the Interlude.
Pages: [1]   Go Up