THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 09:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my idea: go or no-go?  (Read 9001 times)

jibjib

my idea: go or no-go?
« on: 05 Aug 2005, 13:00 »

the other day i came up with an idea for a comic about a vampire teenager.
like most modern families, his parents pressure him to be a good vampire by drinking wholesome blood, wearing his cape frequently, and sleeping in coffins.  and like most modern teenagers, he shows almost no interest in these things, but instead enjoys grape juiceand poetry.  i just think that the idea of such a common conflict would be rather humorous when embodied in a family of modern working-class vampires.  

anyway, after i got that idea, i did a few sketches, and came up with this illustration

does anyone else think this would be an interesting comic? im rather busy with a lot of things right now, and i really want to try this out so im planning to take the time to write and draw it.  the only question is; does anyone want to see it?

i know its my own choice and enjoyment, but i would still kinda like to know what you guys think

heretic

« Reply #1 on: 05 Aug 2005, 13:15 »

it would certainly be interesting if it doesn't turn out to be all blood-puns and other poorly written dreck.
a perfectly fine concept that would need good writing

Kid Modernist

« Reply #2 on: 05 Aug 2005, 13:24 »

I'm with Heretic. Maybe have it with a storyline and not so much emphasis on punch lines?

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #3 on: 05 Aug 2005, 13:24 »

Are you a big Scary Go Round fan?  Just asking.  Well, the art looks fine and the concept sounds wacky enough, heretic's pretty much covered all you need left to do.

Good luck.

jibjib

« Reply #4 on: 05 Aug 2005, 18:39 »

thats all good news, i dislike most every "punch-line" strip i've ever read.  it would definately focus more on subtle, dry, everyday humor....or sometimes it might not even be funny at all but sad and thoughtful (a good way to loose readers, it seems).  for me, reading any strip with puns in it is pure pun-ishment................ah ha...ha....

yeah, i saw scary go round. i only ever saw a strip or two though. it had a jellyfish or something in it.  i like calvin & hobbes much better though :)

Kid Modernist

« Reply #5 on: 05 Aug 2005, 18:55 »

If all that is true, i think I'd like to read your comic. Keep me/us posted.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 05 Aug 2005, 19:02 »

The art looks really good and I haven't seen really any vampire webcomics, so I say go for it.

And I think the jellyfish you were talking about for scarygoround was the Man o War.  I think he was a major character in a storyline.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #7 on: 05 Aug 2005, 20:08 »

Go for it.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

jaceofwater

« Reply #8 on: 05 Aug 2005, 22:18 »

I know it's your comic, and you have the final say in all of this stuff, but if I were to do it, I'd make it so that the parent vampires are all like conservative and mainstream and not-gothy, and have the kid be like a goth or part of some other counter culture. He'd hang out with other goth kids who are all like 'were vampires' but aren't, and he'd be totally into gothy stuff, but would drink stuff like coke and beer/wine, instead of the perfectly legal blood that you get at the super market. (That would be a hilarious image in and of itself, like those little bags of blood from hospitals and cans of bloody soda.)
Something you really ought to consider is how common vampires are in the world you're talking about. Are they like common, and everyone knows about them, or does he have to hide his identity and not smile or everyone will find him out? Do vampires know other vampires? Like, would it be something like, "You know the thompsons down the street? They're vampires." Can he go out into the sun? Is he afraid/allergic to garlic?
You should totally do it, though. It seems like an awesome idea and I'd definately read it.

twentyfour

« Reply #9 on: 06 Aug 2005, 14:28 »

I'd reverse what Jace suggested about conservative parents and the gothy kid. Classic Vampire looks for the parents and the kid rebels by trying to conform! How's that for a twist?

well I like it anyway :p

kitty gal

« Reply #10 on: 06 Aug 2005, 15:47 »

keep surprising ur fans with little things and try not to keep it the same. :P

P.S. nice illistration

Cave Monster

Ideas
« Reply #11 on: 06 Aug 2005, 18:55 »

The only measure of an idea worth doing is that you want to do it. All the value in a thing like this will come from the execution. If you are brimming over with ideas, then go for it. If not...

jibjib

« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2005, 16:05 »

narf.
sweet mamma molasses, Dr.Jeeves, here's my result :

jibjib

« Reply #13 on: 13 Aug 2005, 16:22 »

oh you silly goon, you think of old-timey vampires and ancient stories. they've evolved.  just like back in the 1700s when humans lived all the way into their ripe old mid-40's

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 13 Aug 2005, 16:51 »

How is he outside during the day? Just asking, as that always was the biggest vampire problem. I kind of like it, though it feels abeit like some Nickelodeon cartoon in the way that it's narrated.

The art is very nice and I would kill for the shirt Andy is wearing in the third panel.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #15 on: 13 Aug 2005, 18:49 »

i really like the idea of a cheerful vampire as a foil to the goth human.  ther is a lot of potential in the story, i think.  so long as (as others have already said) you don't keep resorting to cliche and that you actually write a decent story behind it too.

i like your art!  it's pretty neat!

SeanBateman

« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug 2005, 19:50 »

I was expecting this to be all crappy and "VAMPIRES! LOL!" but I actually enjoyed that quite a bit. Make more and let me see them.

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2005, 04:45 »

I like that - the art is lovely and it seems nice. I would suggest perhaps saving your images as pngs instead of jpgs to make it look slightly cleaner overall, but apart from that it looks just about ready to go! I look forward to reading it!

trolley

« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2005, 13:46 »

Also, before you start, consider if you would carry on doing your comic if only 10 people read it a day. If you would, then go for it. If you wouldn't, perhaps you should think twice.

twentyfour

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2005, 07:12 »

Niiice! let us know when/if ya put it online!

jibjib

« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2005, 12:00 »

the more i experiment with this project, the more i want to devote a site to it. i do have a domain that i paid for, but it's main purpose is for my other comic , which i also really enjoy doing, and i wouldnt want to bump it off the site or into some dark corner to make way for this new one.  
   im not too internet savvy, so does anyone know of any decent place to get free webspace?  i think that would work well for what i want to do.

Lothar

« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2005, 19:36 »

Hey, I just checked all this stuff out about your new comic, it looks great! I think you should listen to Twentyfour about the goth parents, conform kid thing, that could turn out really well. The artwork looks really good too. Keep it coming.

twentyfour

« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2005, 20:43 »

I LIKE this new guy!

Lothar of the Hill People, you are on my Christmas list. See, more people should agree with me, you get presents and cheesy holiday photos

torg

« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2005, 02:53 »

looks good so far... i'd only make the colours a little bit brighter...

Primate

« Reply #24 on: 18 Aug 2005, 06:10 »

Quote from: ironoxide887
How is he outside during the day? Just asking, as that always was the biggest vampire problem.

Probably a vaccine or antibiotics or something.

heretic

« Reply #25 on: 18 Aug 2005, 06:56 »

SPF 3,000

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 18 Aug 2005, 08:07 »

Damnit, I need some of that shit. I burn like there's no tomorrow.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

linzish

« Reply #27 on: 19 Aug 2005, 19:01 »

Haha, I like this! I have actually never seen a vampire comic so this is a first for me, and I like the ideas you have. And I do agree with 24 (not solely for the purpose of the presents) that it might be interesting to have goth parents! I hope you do more with this. I'm looking forward to it :)

.Kate.

« Reply #28 on: 22 Aug 2005, 14:17 »

if done right it'd be really cool.  I like the sketch that you put up as well.

MindFlayerSlayer

« Reply #29 on: 23 Aug 2005, 18:26 »

Nice, i like how you seem to use a more (please excuse this adjective) 'bright' art style for a story about a different vamp.
I'm sorry if I sound redundant, but this has amazing potential.

saturnine1979

« Reply #30 on: 26 Sep 2005, 22:24 »

i'd read it!

lovely art. absolutely fantastic.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #31 on: 27 Sep 2005, 04:51 »

Great start! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up