THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 17:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you like british comedy, what is your gender?

male
- 44 (68.8%)
female
- 20 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: 26 Sep 2005, 23:47

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: british comedy- male or female?  (Read 16355 times)

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
british comedy- male or female?
« on: 26 Sep 2005, 23:47 »

Do you like british comedy? (and i don't mean like, one british comedy and hate most of the others, i mean you frequently find british comedies, or even just 'not mainstream' shows to be funny) Are you male or female?

Someone told me today that more men than women enjoy british comedy, and i found that a little odd, probably because most of my friends are female, and they enjoy at least one british comedy. So, discuss this concept! Most british comedy characters are male, with very few female characters in ratio. So would that make women more inclined to like the characters, or males? The characters are often zany. Who's more attracted to zany?

So yes... discuss. And vote in the poll!
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

Daniel

« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2005, 00:58 »

I love British comedy - newer stuff like Spaced and Black Books, or the classics, Fawlty Towers and such.

And I am man.

(You might wanto factor into your calculations that for the most part, the male actors/characters are far funnier than the females)

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2005, 01:01 »

^ yes, i realise that. and i think that's mainly because it's the males who write it, and most of the time the main characters are male, so the female characters aren't as main... it's pretty unfair.
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

Duchess Tapioca

• Larger than most fish
    • Somebody wrote something about me on the internet!
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2005, 01:21 »

Quote from: Daniel

(You might wanto factor into your calculations that for the most part, the male actors/characters are far funnier than the females)

Unless the females are male actors, that is how it's supposed to be, Shakesphere said so.

Simulacra

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2005, 22:55 »

Shakespeare was a filthy hack.  the man invented his own version of English for God's sake, just to pass off rewrites of Greek folklore. believe nothing the man said as he was the P. Diddy of the 16th century.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! TAKE THAT AP ENGLISH!!!!

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2005, 11:19 »

I like British humour but I'm British. I'm like a walking version of Basil Fawlty.

[EDIT]
Basil Fawlty can of course walk. I'm like a real version of Basil Fawlty.
Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2005, 12:33 »

I like it and I'm female, but then again I'm British...

Love Soup was pretty awesome last night though.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2005, 12:45 »

I really like Smack the Pony, and they're women mostly, and funnier than, say, Fawlty Towers for instance. But anyway they are masters of awdward and absurd situations, I laugh like a madman at the sketch where there are two hickers out in the english countryside, no one else around and they just happen to bump into each other and knock each other off their feet.
Then they proceed to try and help each up only to fall again, finally one of them gets annoyed, smacks the other, and walks away. Without her map, which the other one picks up and runs after her yelling "you forgot your map!", to which she replies "I don't want it!"

But then again I am odd :)

Tinjessla

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2005, 12:56 »

Im lay-deeee and enjoy British comedy and i have a few female friends who do too.* Then again, so far at university, the only people i've met who are a fans of British comedy are guys. It's all a matter of taste really.

Quote from: thehoopiestfrood

Love Soup was pretty awesome last night though.

Gaaaaah. I caught the end so i had no clue what was going on. I curse this ridiculously crappy memory of mine.

*Most due to Dylan Moran's foxy-ness.

Sophiee

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2005, 16:11 »

i am female and i like some british comedy...and the most of the british programing on Iowa Public Television. I like Are You Being Served?, Red Dwarf, and the the one about the senior citizens in the retirement home. I don't recall the title at the moment.

Most of the kids in the Talented and Gifted program when i was in school liked and quoted british comedy often...mostly monty python...over half of the brit comedy-quoting-kids were male (but most of the students in the TaG program were female...and related to me, haha, small school...).

Madamon

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2005, 23:00 »

I'm female, and adore British comedy. Particularly Black Adder, Fawlty Towers and Monty Python.
There's just something so absurd about it, and the fact that they sound so dignified and haughty in ridiculous situations.
I also find male British comedy actors to be more funny - but, as was mentioned earlier, females are rarely given a major role in British comedy. And, if they are given a role, it's a very feminine role.
I love it when women lose that 'I should behave like a lady' sense, and just let their humour fly.

Bunnyman

« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2005, 00:03 »

As usual, PBS did indeed provide some sweet, sweet British comedy lovin' in my neck of the woods as well.  Adder, Python, Jeeves and Wooster, Are You Being Served...etc etc.  Good times.

And, goddamnit, it's not a rat, it's a filigree siberian hamster.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2005, 04:51 »

Some of what we produce is good, some of what's churned out is fucking terrible.

Little Britain for example seems to rely upon a limited selection of gags that are repeated OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER...

"Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah...."
"look into my eyes, look into my eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes.."
"I'm a real lady"
"I want that one!"

the same show seems to consists of those gags and a couple others just recycled through various sketches without much variation.

On the other ahnd, I absolutely love "Porridge" and "Open all Hours", and I think our stand-up comedians (Bill Bailey in particular) are among the finest in the world.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Adam Murray

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2005, 08:24 »

Growing up in Ireland, if I didn't like Bristish comedy, That would leave me at a severe disadvantage.  :P

that being said, my British comedies are Father Ted (its set in Ireland, but or fabulous Irish networks passed on it :( morons ), Porridge, open all Hours, Black Adder and the Phytons.

And Speaking of Bill Bailey, Black Books (with the amazing Dylan Moran) is probally the best comedy show in last few years.  that and Spaced

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2005, 23:46 »

Hey Adam, just a note that images in sigs are frowned upon around these parts.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Daniel

« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2005, 02:06 »

Quote from: Adam Murray
Growing up in Ireland, if I didn't like Bristish comedy, That would leave me at a severe disadvantage.  :P

that being said, my British comedies are Father Ted (its set in Ireland, but or fabulous Irish networks passed on it :( morons ), Porridge, open all Hours, Black Adder and the Phytons.

And Speaking of Bill Bailey, Black Books (with the amazing Dylan Moran) is probally the best comedy show in last few years.  that and Spaced

I have much love for Father Ted.

Black Books was great, but got worse as it went. The first season is brilliant, by then third season it was getting pretty average. Spaced, on the other hand, was pure gold, all the way.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2005, 06:17 »

Incidently, Spaced never saw air-play in Australia to my knowledge.

I think we also only got half of the first series and the thir series of Black Books.

Conspiracy? I think so.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2005, 06:18 »

You need to pay more attention to your A.B.C. T.V.   We saw plenty of Spaced, but they put it on pretty late at night.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2005, 07:00 »

How long ago was this? If it's more than a couple of years I don't hink I was nearly cultured enough to notice.

Daniel

« Reply #19 on: 24 Oct 2005, 07:03 »

All of Black Books aired here, the first two seasons at least twice.

Spaced was too, as Inlander said, just late at night and not advertised. I only saw one episode, and that was just by random chance - I didn't even realise what it was. Wasn't until a friend of mine purchased the DVDs online that I really got to appreciate it.  The thing that I can't make sense of is the fact that it's never made a DVD release, or a higher publicised tv airing, here - especially considering the popularity of other recent British comedies like The Office, Little Britain and Black Books.

But I think that the time for that might be past - around the release of Shaun of the Dead would've been the perfect time to reair Spaced and release it locally on DVD.

AdamIsConceited

« Reply #20 on: 24 Oct 2005, 07:34 »

I love British comedy.

noise_wave

« Reply #21 on: 24 Oct 2005, 08:18 »

I'm a female and I would rather watch the BBC then NBC or ABC. (NBC and ABC are American networks) I love British Comedy.

The first comedy I was introduced to was Allo Allo and then was introduced to Coupling, Faulty Towers, and Monty Python.

Favorite British Comedies anyone? I crave more comedy here!

**edit: I forgot about Black Adder! How could I do that? Yeah... Black Adder rocks.

Se7en

« Reply #22 on: 28 Oct 2005, 04:01 »

Just about all the comedy i like is british. I think for some things, like Blackadder and Fawlty Towers, you have to be british to fully apreciate them. Making jokes at our own expense is one of these things britons do. A lot of our comedy exagerates our funny social habits to the point of absurdity, and theres a lot of extra laughs in the fact that usually it doesnt take much exageration. It reflects national attitudes i think.

*BB3*

« Reply #23 on: 28 Oct 2005, 15:13 »

lol i love british comedy - particularly ronnie barker and eddie izzard!!!
pete

zutonna

« Reply #24 on: 28 Oct 2005, 16:07 »

British comedy IS ace. Of course I might be biased....so what. Just a few of my favourite quotes:

('Allo 'Allo) Capt. Hans Geering: Do you not see? That if you kill him with the pill from the till by making with it the drug in the jug, you need not light the candle with the handle on the gâteau from the château.
René: Simple plots are always the best.

(Blackadder)
Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

(Fawlty Towers)
Basil: Don't mention the war!

^ I burst into giggles everytime I hear it

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #25 on: 28 Oct 2005, 16:17 »

The Young Ones. THE YOUNG ONES.

Ok, I'll try not to get excited, but it had some of the best visual gags of any TV show I've ever seen. Like the christian woman getting crushed by the giant sandwich that one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse threw away.

I really need to buy those damn DVDs
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

decklin

« Reply #26 on: 28 Oct 2005, 16:51 »

what percentage of the people who see this poll are male/female already? :P

*BB3*

« Reply #27 on: 29 Oct 2005, 01:14 »

probably alot! wot percentage of the worlds men vs women read webcomics and then go onto the forum as well???
pete

Tinjessla

« Reply #28 on: 29 Oct 2005, 04:43 »

Quote from: Hat
The Young Ones. THE YOUNG ONES.

Ok, I'll try not to get excited, but it had some of the best visual gags of any TV show I've ever seen. Like the christian woman getting crushed by the giant sandwich that one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse threw away.

I really need to buy those damn DVDs

Oh man, the university challenge episode is a classic.

El Opium

« Reply #29 on: 30 Oct 2005, 12:30 »

I'm a British male who likes British comedy, though I've not been able to keep up on the latest shows since I've lived in America. I've run into a roughly equal proportion of each gender when it comes to people who like British shows. I went to a halloween party last night and there was a girl dressed as King Arthur from Monty Python's Holy Grail and she was in character the whole time, which was hilarious.

practicality

« Reply #30 on: 30 Oct 2005, 12:55 »

Quote from: Simulacra
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! TAKE THAT AP ENGLISH!!!!

There are no words to truly describe how happy that makes me.
I fucking hate AP English.

Back on topic, I like some British comedy, and I'm an American female.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #31 on: 30 Oct 2005, 14:31 »

Despite what you feel about your English classes, Shakespeare was a badass.

and I do love myself a good amount of British humor; from what I've seen, of course. BBCAmerica tends to prefer showing Biritsh house remodeling rather than you know, what you silly people over the pond do best. Being really silly.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #32 on: 30 Oct 2005, 15:27 »

No one's mentioned The Fast Show or Reeves and Mortimer yet.

The Fast Show was just brilliant (geddit? if you've seen the show you'll know what i mean). So many hilarious characters: Arthur Atkinson, The "Suit You" Tailors, The "Which Was Nice" Guy, unlucky Alf… man, I crack up just thinking about them.

Shooting Stars was a completely mad "gameshow" with B-grade British celebrities as the contestants. It featured such bits as the "dove from above" round. The Reeves and Mortimer skit shows were pretty damn funny too.

Uh, so yeah. I'm a guy and I like British comedy.

*BB3*

« Reply #33 on: 31 Oct 2005, 02:05 »

Quote from: Gryff
No one's mentioned The Fast Show or Reeves and Mortimer yet.

The Fast Show was just brilliant (geddit? if you've seen the show you'll know what i mean). So many hilarious characters: Arthur Atkinson, The "Suit You" Tailors, The "Which Was Nice" Guy, unlucky Alf… man, I crack up just thinking about them.

Shooting Stars was a completely mad "gameshow" with B-grade British celebrities as the contestants. It featured such bits as the "dove from above" round. The Reeves and Mortimer skit shows were pretty damn funny too.

Uh, so yeah. I'm a guy and I like British comedy.

never saw any of those!!! sorry!!!
pete

tetsuotheironboy

« Reply #34 on: 31 Oct 2005, 18:02 »

ok, i guess it was probably far too gross/fucked up for the american networks to air but i'm hoping you've all heard of the league of gentlemen? Its a mind blowing weird sitcom/sketch show set in a tiny rural town called royston vasey thats just insane.

Harvey Denton: Perhaps you are a naturally slothful person, sluggish and indolent, a dawdling flaneur, content to waste his life spread eagled on pillows forever indulging himself in the pleasures of the palm

Val Denton: We thought you'd be happiest down here on the sofa bed, you'll have your own shower and WC.
Harvey Denton: Into which we do not pass solids.

Pauline Campbell-Jones: Just who do you think you're talking to ?
Cathy Carter-Smith: Well according to my report a psychotic 50-year-old lesbian.
Pauline Campbell-Jones: How dare you. I'm 48

Geoff Tipps: Well, things finally started going my way ladies and gentlemen. In 84 both our mothers got badly sick, mine, thank God, she got better. But yours DIED didn't she Mike? Didn't she?

Crash

« Reply #35 on: 04 Nov 2005, 19:08 »

Yeah!

Not the 9 oclock news, young ones, blackadder, new statesman, fawlty towers, open all hours, spitting image, alas smith&jones, fry&laurie, harry enfield, fast show, league of gents, fathr ted (irish), eddie izzard, the office, god i could go on.

Why is brit comedy so different? I guess they're not just chasing the snappy one-liners and many of them try to inject a sense of irony & parody in the comedy, perhaps moreso than their US counterparts? I know it's a bad example, but just watching Friends for even 5 minutes makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, pull itself out and run away.

Any one else? In defence of the states; the simpsons and the family guy are both hilarious

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #36 on: 05 Nov 2005, 03:26 »

The British do comedy better than anyone else.

The Americans do it pretty well and The Simpsopns is porbably my favourite TV show of all time but overalll British Comdey> American Comedy.

For a start American comedies often don't get Irony right, part of the reason why I thought Jeph might be non-American since he does it pretty well.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Tomservo

« Reply #37 on: 19 Nov 2005, 13:07 »

Anyone ever heard of Coupling?  
I saw it on PBS one night and it was just hillarious and British as hell.  I also like Monty Python and the British version of Trigger Happy TV.  I think it seems like Britian just makes better shows since Americans like me will never see the Britian's crap tv that isn't sent to America.
Pages: [1]   Go Up