THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: serenity / firefly.  (Read 22844 times)

salada

• Curry sauce
serenity / firefly.
« on: 27 Sep 2005, 04:03 »

just recently i noticed two people here with firefly references in their sigs.

release is under a week away. in australia at least. cinema-working housemate (who is conveniently a huge joss wheadon / sci-fi n3rd) is trying to snag tickets to the opening night.

so. discuss and generally be excited.

1patheticloser

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2005, 04:10 »

I have some friends who are serious Firefly fans. I'm talking, when we all went to DragonCon, he was in the costume parade with the local Browncoats (fan group). A good number of my friends got into the early screening due thier fandom. They all approve. I shall be there.

lordjim

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2005, 05:21 »

I finished up watching the series for like the 4th time this year in preparation for the movie.  3 days away!  I know I won't be first in line but I'll be there opening weekend.  At least one more showing after that.

I <3 Firefly.

Daniel

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2005, 06:36 »

I went to the advanced screening of Serenity, and it was awesome. So awesome it nearly melted my face off.  If you liked the show (I don't know how much people who haven't seen the show will appreciate it), but if you like the show, you'll love the movie. The best episodes of the show, seriously, pale in comparison.

I'll go see it again opening weekend.

Stranger Dan

• Emoticontraindication
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2005, 19:44 »

I've been catching up with the episodes that they've been running on Sci Fi Channel over the past month and renting from Netflix to fill the gaps. The marathon today was a great help too. It's funny watching this and seeing River all helpless in the actual episodes and then going to commercial with a movie scene where she is taking out crowds of thugs like Bruce Lee, or at least Jet Li.

1patheticloser

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2005, 19:57 »

Yeah, today provided a much needed Firefly dosage. The "Making of" thing was pretty neat too. Although, it lead me to believe Book is more or less m.i.a. in the movie, sans a cameo.... 'Sup wit dat?

salada

• Curry sauce
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2005, 20:57 »

yeah, i sort of don't get how river got all kung-fu style in the trailer. although she can dance and use the power of mathematics to aim guns. si it might not be too far-fetched. or something.

and i think book leaves during the comics, which i am not quite a nerd enough to go out and buy (comic shops scare me). which kinda sucks, cos i was hoping his character would get explained a bit. besides which, i liked him. awesome voice.

Simulacra

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2005, 22:43 »

yar, my friend juanita introduced me to it about a month ago by letting me borrow her dvd set.  i watched the whole series 3 times in two days.  Suffice it to say that she and i are having breakfast on friday and going to the 11am showing. pretty damn excited here.  i've been trying to find the underground River Tam sessions online, but they elude me like... something that... eludes very well.

Daniel

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2005, 03:17 »

Quote from: salada
yeah, i sort of don't get how river got all kung-fu style in the trailer. although she can dance and use the power of mathematics to aim guns. si it might not be too far-fetched. or something.

Because it's awesome. Real awesome.

and i think book leaves during the comics, which i am not quite a nerd enough to go out and buy (comic shops scare me). which kinda sucks, cos i was hoping his character would get explained a bit. besides which, i liked him. awesome voice.

I would recommend the comic, it's rather good.

Quote from: 1patheticloser
Yeah, today provided a much needed Firefly dosage. The "Making of" thing was pretty neat too. Although, it lead me to believe Book is more or less m.i.a. in the movie, sans a cameo.... 'Sup wit dat?

Yeah, he's hardly in it at all. That was probably the most dissapointing thing about the film, to me.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2005, 07:52 »

Serenity came out in cinemas today here, and I've still got a dvd and a half to watch.

I'll still see it first chance I get though.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Merkava

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2005, 14:56 »

I'm a major Joss Whedon fan. Angel is my favorite show, but I have to hate Buffy on principle. (spoiler) "I mean, really. Way to ditch Angel for the REAL apocolypse, you whore."

I never got to see Firefly, and I missed most of the marathon, but I taped some of the episodes and I love what I've seen. Interesting how two of the villains from Angel are main characters on this show.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2005, 15:15 »

I AM SO FUCKING SICK OF ALL THE GODDAMN HYPE ABOUT THIS MOVIE
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

salada

• Curry sauce
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2005, 15:26 »

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, THE HYPE IS SICK OF YOU!

Merkava

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2005, 18:46 »

Oh fuck YES that was well-timed.

1patheticloser

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2005, 20:57 »

Just watched the 2 episode pilot and "Train Job" from the DVD set. My loins are tingling with geek joy.

(Have my tickets for the 10:30 pm show Friday on Fandango already)

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #15 on: 30 Sep 2005, 08:54 »

Good reviews so far. I've gotta wait 'till saturday to see it though.

Mnementh

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #16 on: 30 Sep 2005, 22:48 »

I'm responsible for that monstrosity.  We made it a few months ago, right after the rough draft screening.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #17 on: 01 Oct 2005, 05:25 »

Saw it yesterday and it rocked my socks off.
I haven't seen Firefly though, and i have an inkling that i would like the series more than i did the movie.
I took a non believer to see it, he was very skeptical of how good a movie made by the creator of buffy could be and he ended up enjoying it.
Very much one of the best movies i have seen in quite a while.
We need more Sci Fi Western Outlaw movies.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #18 on: 01 Oct 2005, 07:44 »

Also, more Film Noir Western Thrillers
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Merkava

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #19 on: 01 Oct 2005, 11:13 »

Quote from: GebStar
Saw it yesterday and it rocked my socks off.
I haven't seen Firefly though, and i have an inkling that i would like the series more than i did the movie.
I took a non believer to see it, he was very skeptical of how good a movie made by the creator of buffy could be and he ended up enjoying it.
Very much one of the best movies i have seen in quite a while.
We need more Sci Fi Western Outlaw movies.

Have you seen Cowboy Bebop? That show is the greatest.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #20 on: 02 Oct 2005, 12:19 »

Oh my god.

It rocked.  It rocked my pants off.  Seriously.

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #21 on: 02 Oct 2005, 13:54 »

Agreed. 'twas simply amazing.

lordjim

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #22 on: 02 Oct 2005, 15:33 »

Simply amazing ditto and ^2.  My fiancee who was "eh" on the series, loved it.

I must be getting soft in my old age.  I cried a few times :(

dracotuni

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #23 on: 02 Oct 2005, 16:18 »

i'll see it eventually. i never have enough time...

1patheticloser

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #24 on: 02 Oct 2005, 16:50 »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #25 on: 02 Oct 2005, 23:00 »

I am a leaf on the wind.

Watch how I soar.

Gorram best movie of the whole year.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #26 on: 03 Oct 2005, 02:44 »

Quote from: Merkava

Have you seen Cowboy Bebop? That show is the greatest.

Yeah, i liked Bebop, but i thought that Serenity seemed a little more like trigun. Although, there are a lot more similarities between Bebop and Serenity.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #27 on: 03 Oct 2005, 20:48 »

WTF!?  FLIGHTPLAN WAS NUMBER ONE!  GO OUT AND SEE THE MOVIE AGAIN!

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #28 on: 04 Oct 2005, 08:37 »

It still got ten million dollars in the opening weekend and it had a budget of 40 million. So, if it earns money perhaps there will be a sequal.

SeanBateman

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #29 on: 05 Oct 2005, 01:41 »

Quote from: jeph

MAN FUCK YOU. SEE IT BEFORE YOU HATE!

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #30 on: 05 Oct 2005, 11:46 »

Just to make sure..... was there really that much hype to begin with, besides the hushed whispers of underground fans?

SuperPablo13

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #31 on: 06 Oct 2005, 14:44 »

I saw this on opening night and again two days later. Still fucking awesome! Met and exceeded all my expectations. There wasn't a disappointing part of it except that it doesn't seem as though they'd be able to bring the series back. I'm very happy that my friend got me into Firefly when the DVDs came out.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #32 on: 06 Oct 2005, 20:32 »

I saw it three times in 24 hours.

I'm doing it again this weekend.

You can't stop the fucking signal.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Vlishgnath

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #33 on: 09 Oct 2005, 12:12 »

I am in love with River Tam.

That is all.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #34 on: 09 Oct 2005, 13:20 »

ZOMFG!!!!!

Just got back from seeing it.

ZOMFG!!!!

That is all.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

fenmere

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #35 on: 09 Oct 2005, 13:49 »

It's a complete, well-told story.

So few movies can claim that.

Eldirial

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #36 on: 09 Oct 2005, 14:30 »

Quote from: Vlishgnath
I am in love with River Tam.

That is all.

After a certain scene- I won't say which case of people who haven't seen it- I just envisoned River as the main character in a survival horror game... Hotness.

salada

• Curry sauce
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #37 on: 09 Oct 2005, 17:32 »

i saw it the other day. woah! awesome, but woah!

also, something that people who haven't watched the firefly series might misread, is that it looks like (at the start of the film) the serenity crew might have rescued simon and river. doesn't really mess up the plot, but yeah.

Garcin

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #38 on: 09 Oct 2005, 19:45 »

Quote from: Stranger Dan
The marathon today was a great help too. It's funny watching this and seeing River all helpless in the actual episodes and then going to commercial with a movie scene where she is taking out crowds of thugs like Bruce Lee, or at least Jet Li.

Without engaging in spoilers, River is far from invulnerable in the movie.  In fact, from her performance in the last of the 13 episodes, she is if anything less formidable in the movie.  You never get the sense that she is pulling all the strings, like she did in the monumental mindgame she played with Jubal Early.

Quote from: jeph

Hey, doesn't count as hype if it actually is that good.  And, per me, it was.  Wow.  I want to see again, but I guess I'll just wait for the DVD.

I don't think anyone is seriously doubting that this movie will make back it's production costs in theaters, and that make a significant profit in DVD sales -- just like the original series.  I can't see many people who bought the original series on DVD declining to buy the DVD movie as well, since really it was the second series of the show crammed into a movie.

And like every other fan I'm hoping that there is going to be a sequel, if only so the men in blue and the Blue Sun can be properly explained.  But with Joss' current commitments, even if a sequel gets greenlighted, it probably won't come out before first quarter 2008.  And I want it now dammit!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #39 on: 10 Oct 2005, 00:05 »

also, something that people who haven't watched the firefly series might misread, is that it looks like (at the start of the film) the serenity crew might have rescued simon and river. doesn't really mess up the plot, but yeah.

Abviously, you didn't actually look at the ship that picked them up. It looked nothing like Serenity.

Watch it again.

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #40 on: 10 Oct 2005, 10:06 »

Moiche, check the box office earnings. It's only made 17 million in two weeks. That doesn't look that good when it's production costs where 40 million.
I s'pose I'll just have to see it again.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #41 on: 10 Oct 2005, 11:04 »

Same old story: great show + zero advertising = cancelled series for no good reason.

Great movie of great cancelled series + a similar level of advertising = financial results that the suits at universal would likely describe as "dissapointing".

It really is all about the advertising in that industry, and Firefly got completely fucked up the ass when it came to spreading the word.

TylerDurden

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #42 on: 10 Oct 2005, 12:09 »

Quote from: Moiche
And like every other fan I'm hoping that there is going to be a sequel, if only so the men in blue and the Blue Sun can be properly explained.  But with Joss' current commitments, even if a sequel gets greenlighted, it probably won't come out before first quarter 2008.  And I want it now dammit!

All of that is explained in the 3 issue Serenity mini-series, written by Joss Whedon from Dark Horse comics. It also has a great scene with Agent Dobson.

Garcin

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #43 on: 10 Oct 2005, 12:22 »

Didn't know about that.  Amazon is next stop.  Thanks.

Quote from: Switchblad
Same old story: great show + zero advertising = cancelled series for no good reason.  

Switchblade, I'm just going to say the obvious before anyone else can, but it wasn't just a failure to advertise.  It was a failure to advertise + juggling the time slots of the show + not playing the pilot -- which was integral to understanding the character motivations of a primarily character driven show.

Fox couldn't have fucked it better if they had hired a department of PHDs in Fuckology, and given them $5mm in grant money to develop the perfect plan to a fuck a show, then implemented it with operatives trained to fuck (shows).  On the other hand, NBC had Suddenly Susan a few years ago sandwiched between Friends and some other megahit (I think it was Frasier), and managed to turn absolute shit into advertising gold.

Yes -- this is why I don't have basic cable.  Television executives are a bunch of fucks, and HBO comes out with DVDs.

As for there being inadequate advertising for the movie -- well it's hard for me to judge without basic cable what they've been doing on TV, but the movie's been practically invisible in the print media, on the internet (wtf?), on buses, etc.  You get the sense that Joss' "viral marketing" strategy with the advance screenings was too successful, and the studio figured it could get away with a half-assed job on the marketing campaign.  Or else they're a bunch of idiots who are just counting on DVD sales.

Quote from: Jarne
Moiche, check the box office earnings. It's only made 17 million in two weeks. That doesn't look that good when it's production costs where 40 million.

Thanks Jarne, but I sort of which you hadn't told me that and I was still living in my happy delusional place, where things I want to come true always do.  Doing the math now, it's sort of depressing.  Assuming that the box office take totals out around $34mm, 50% of which will go to the studio (I've read that the rest generally goes to the theater owner), that leaves a shortfall of $23mm in production costs.  Assuming that the studio will make $10 in profit per unit DVD sold, that means that they would have to sell 2.3mm DVD units to break even -- which is obviously not going to happen.

Unless someone can correct my math and guesswork (and I'm hoping someone can!) it doesn't look like we're going to get a sequel.  Fuck.

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #44 on: 10 Oct 2005, 12:35 »

The fact that we got a movie from a failed TV series is lucky as it is.
I don't remember where I read this, but apparently some studieo exec or someone high up said that the opening weekend was as they expected. Hopefuly they expected this.
Just go see the damn movie again!

Garcin

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #45 on: 10 Oct 2005, 12:44 »

Was this statement issued from the studio executive's new office -- the side table at a Dunkin' Donuts?

(Yes, yes, I like Entourage too.  I never said I was perfect.)

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #46 on: 10 Oct 2005, 12:46 »

... that flew over my head. Care to explain?

Garcin

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #47 on: 10 Oct 2005, 12:50 »

At the end of the second season of Entourage, the agent character Ari Gold is exiled from his talent agency after a failed coup attempt and has to meet clients in a coffee shop.  It was an awesome episode on many levels.

I was trying to be clever by attempting to imply that the movie executive who suggested that $17 million in the first two weeks was "as expected" met a similar ignominious fate.

SuperPablo13

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #48 on: 10 Oct 2005, 21:10 »

I really wish that this movie makes enough to garner a sequel, but right now I'm just happy that I got a movie out of it. If nothing else comes out after this than I can be happy. Whedon did a great job of tying up all the big threads while leaving just enough open to continue it.

La Creme

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #49 on: 10 Oct 2005, 21:57 »

Kicked ass.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up