THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 03:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: serenity / firefly.  (Read 22840 times)

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #50 on: 10 Oct 2005, 21:58 »

... Yeah. My best friend saw it the other day, and promptly called me to say "Let's go see this movie! It was awesome!"
I have no idea what it is about but hey, I'm going to see it tonight. We're getting pizza first. I am excited about the pizza.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #51 on: 11 Oct 2005, 00:49 »

Woah, woah. You need to watch the series first, otherwise it probably won't make sense.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Vlishgnath

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #52 on: 11 Oct 2005, 07:07 »

Am I the only one that's hoping the interest garnered from the movie will spark another run on the series on SciFi instead of more movies?  There's so much more depth to a serialization.

And, depending on the person, you don't necessarily need to have seen the series to enjoy the movie.  A friend of mine totally loved the movie, said he followed pretty much everything, and never saw a single episode.  Same with my dad.  Hell, I'd only seen about 3 episodes before I saw the movie.

But you should still go buy the DVD set and watch them anyway ;)

SuperPablo13

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #53 on: 11 Oct 2005, 09:28 »

I would love a new series, but the scope of the movie just seemed too grand. I'm just afraid that they wouldn't be able replicate that feeling. The series did a good job of showing the scope of the universe they live in, but the movie heightened it. They could go to more worlds and show that there is civilization out there. It's possible, though. Right now I would be happy with whatever they can give us.

Crosseyedstranger

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #54 on: 11 Oct 2005, 09:39 »

Guys, instead of complaining that you won't get a gorram sequal, go see the fucker again! If it takes me spending 40 or 50 bucks, along with 500,000 other geeks, to get another movie, well, I'm fuckin doin it! Who's with me!

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #55 on: 11 Oct 2005, 09:52 »

Quote from: Vlishgnath
Am I the only one that's hoping the interest garnered from the movie will spark another run on the series on SciFi instead of more movies?  There's so much more depth to a serialization.

Fox owns the rights to the TV series for ten years (only seven years left at this point!). Whedon said that he wouldn't do Firefly with Fox again and Fox would never be stupid enough to sell off something that could make their competitors a lot of money.
So, Whedon won't do it with Fox an Fox won't sell the rights. No TV series.

Vlishgnath

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #56 on: 11 Oct 2005, 10:26 »

Quote from: Jarne
Fox owns the rights to the TV series for ten years (only seven years left at this point!)

....*loud and obnoxious string of expletives*

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #57 on: 11 Oct 2005, 10:47 »

They DON'T own the rights to the movies though. Hence our prayers for Serenity 2.

Crosseyedstranger

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #58 on: 11 Oct 2005, 11:19 »

We are willing to wait 7 years for a new series.

Chivalryisn'tdead

Kick ass Kungfu
« Reply #59 on: 11 Oct 2005, 13:09 »

In speaking of how River could kick so much ass, according to the movie she and all others (other students) were trained and ready for combat situations, only she was a bit unstable.

In speaking of the Cowboy Bebop movie, I think it explored the villian character well. I love deranged psychopathic characters that think that they are fighting for something.

Now about Firefly, I haven't seen the apparently existing show or the movie yet, and I would like to know if it's worth getting obsessed over.

Vlishgnath

Re: Kick ass Kungfu
« Reply #60 on: 11 Oct 2005, 13:24 »

Quote from: Chivalryisn'tdead
Now about Firefly, I haven't seen the apparently existing show or the movie yet, and I would like to know if it's worth getting obsessed over.

If you liked Serenity, you will love Firefly.  Everything is the same, just done in serialization, and therefor with a smaller budget.

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #61 on: 11 Oct 2005, 13:52 »

Quote from: Crosseyedstranger
We are willing to wait 7 years for a new series.

Of course we are. But we'd like a few movies in the meantime.

SuperPablo13

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #62 on: 11 Oct 2005, 17:12 »

I heard somewhere that all the actors had a three movie contract. I hope that was real and not just some fanboy fever dream of mine.

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #63 on: 11 Oct 2005, 17:28 »

Three movie contract does not mean three movies. But it DOES mean that if they do a movie, the cast will be in it.

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #64 on: 12 Oct 2005, 09:20 »

Double post, I know, but it's new information. WORLDWIDE, Serenity earned a bit over 22 million dollars in the first two weeks, which is over half its production costs (39 million, plus a five or six dollars for advertisments). So this is very good news, but you all still need to bug your friends to see the movie! And buy the DVD when it comes out.
Oh sequal, we pray for thee!

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #65 on: 12 Oct 2005, 10:34 »

*coughFOXLISTENcough*

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if Sci-Fi picked them up... although I don't know if I liked the way Sliders was after that.

I have to see it again.  I have to!

^
EDIT:  That was called speculation on my part, Jarne.  I can read thanks.   Passive aggressive internet showmanship is not appreciated with me.

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #66 on: 12 Oct 2005, 10:43 »

As stated earlier, Fox owns the rights for the next seven years or so and isn't going to sell them.

1patheticloser

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #67 on: 12 Oct 2005, 11:18 »

Yeah, LiterSize, you have a point. SciFi does have the tendency to muck things up when it comes to making TV series. C'mon Whedon, we are putting our faith in you!!!

Vlishgnath

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #68 on: 12 Oct 2005, 13:35 »

As stated earlier, Fox owns the rights for the next seven years or so and isn't going to sell them.

But they DID sell rights for rebroadcasting of the original series.  If SciFi ponied up enough cash, they'd probably cave.  It has become blindingly aparent over the years that Fox is about nothing more than money, whilst a smaller company like SciFi seems to be more about good shit.

The idea of a contract is great, but the execution needs redefinition I'm afraid.

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #69 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:03 »

But you have to to think of it from a guy high up in Fox's point of view. "I just sold the rights to a show and suddenly Sci-Fi is making tons of money off of it!" He'd get fired really fast.

Vlishgnath

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #70 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:11 »

He'd get fired really fast.

We could only hope.

Jarne

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #71 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:14 »

Indeed, but that means no exec. is going to take that risk and sell it.

Sophi

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #72 on: 12 Oct 2005, 19:29 »

Quote from: Switchblade
Woah, woah. You need to watch the series first, otherwise it probably won't make sense.

Not necessarily. The movie was designed to make the fans happy, but also to be accessible to people who never saw the show. I definitely reccommend seeing the show first, but it's not a must. I went with someone who had never seen the show, and he enjoyed it - probably not as much as the rest of us, but still.
I'm going to try and go again this with weekend with my mom, and I ordered the dvds this weekend! Whoo!
According to rottentomatos, it's made $17,600,000 so far, but I don't think that's counting all of the non-US totals. I think I heard that if it makes $80 million worldwide, we'll get a sequal. I'm crossing my fingers!

Merkava

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #73 on: 12 Oct 2005, 19:53 »

Quote from: 1patheticloser
Yeah, LiterSize, you have a point. SciFi does have the tendency to muck things up when it comes to making TV series. C'mon Whedon, we are putting our faith in you!!!

Whedon needs to get out of whatever broodfest mid-life crisis he's in and make more Firefly.

And more Angel. Fuck WB for rushing the ending.

Garcin

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #74 on: 14 Oct 2005, 05:32 »

There's an unconfirmed rumor that in the upcoming Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman has been retconned as a vampire cowboy in space.  Might just be a rumor though.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #75 on: 14 Oct 2005, 14:11 »

Serenity was pretty much the same as any other bad science fiction movie I have ever seen. I think you all just have Whedon-Fever.

I GOTTA FEVER! AND THE ONLY THING THAT CAN CURE IT IS MORE WHEDON!

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #76 on: 14 Oct 2005, 14:24 »

Is sci-fi your cup of tea to begin with though?   I've seen some horking bad science fiction (Critters, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Showgirls) and... Serenity didn't affect me like those.  But then again, I did go to the midnight showings of the prequels (all except ep. 1).  Oh well.  how was the pizza?

Garcin

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #77 on: 14 Oct 2005, 15:00 »

Quote from: Lunchbox
Serenity was pretty much the same as any other bad science fiction movie I have ever seen. I think you all just have Whedon-Fever.

I GOTTA FEVER! AND THE ONLY THING THAT CAN CURE IT IS MORE WHEDON!

Feck no.   I was no Buffy fan.  I like the Angel early seasons, but couldn't stand the later stuff (I have a friend who believes that I'm wrong.  Just goddamn wrong).  Serenity on the DVDs was my come to Whedon moment.  Specifically, the episode where the crew finds a derelict space ship, and then River . . . looks up.

That was one of the spookiest things I've seen on a TV.  Add to that such indelible lines as "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal" and what you've got is a bona fide chunk of pure awesome.  For my tastes anyway.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #78 on: 14 Oct 2005, 16:02 »

Can I assume that you haven't watched the series yet? It simply won't work without the series. For real.

I think my favourite dialogue out of the entire series, in fact was:

Book: "River sweetie? Why don't you come on out of there?"
River: "No. Can't. Too much hair."
Book: "Is... is that it?"
Zoe: "Hell, yes, shepherd. I'd be in there with her if I didn't have things to get done."
Book: "It's the rules of my order. It symbolises..."
Zoe: "Uh-huh. River, honey? He's putting the hair away now."
River: "It doesn't matter. It'll still be there... waiting."
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Garcin

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #79 on: 14 Oct 2005, 16:48 »

Same episode, but when River "fixes" Book's bible.  Awesome.

Edit:  I'm going to quote the section in it's entirety.  Non-fans, this is a distillation of why I loved the show.  Keep in mind, it's cowboys in space, but it contained this dialogue, between an aged pastor with a shady past, and a once abducted, experimented upon prodigy with telepathic powers:

NT. SERENITY - DINING ROOM - DAY

River sits at the dining table. Book's Bible is open in front of her, and she scribbles furiously into it, crossing out words, writing in the margins. Book walks in, speaks from across the room.

BOOK
What are we up to, sweetheart?

RIVER
Fixing your Bible.

BOOK
I--uh-- What?

He starts moving over to her.

RIVER
Bible's broken. Contradictions,
faulty logistics--it doesn't make
sense...

Now Book sees what she's doing. His Bible's all fucked up, and there's a small stack of torn out pages next to it..

BOOK
No, no, you can't...

River's still scribbling away as she chatters manically.

RIVER
So we'll integrate non-progressional
evolution theory with God's creation
of Eden -- eleven inherent metaphoric
parallels already there... eleven,
important number, prime number, one
goes into the house of eleven eleven
times but always comes out one--

BOOK
River, just take it easy. You
shouldn't--

RIVER
Noah's Ark is a problem--

She flips a page back and forth, frowning at it.

BOOK
Really.

RIVER
(rapid nod)
We'll have to call it early quantum
state phenomenon-- Only way to fit
five-thousand species of mammal on
the same boat-

She tears the page out of the book.

BOOK
Gimme that!

Book snatches the Bible up, somewhat possessively.

BOOK (cont'd)
River! You don't fix the Bible!

River looks up at him, sweet, sincere, deadpan:

RIVER
(holds up torn out
pages)
It's broken. It doesn't make sense.

BOOK
It's not about making sense. It's
about believing in something, and
letting that belief be real enough to
change your life. It's about 'faith'.
(gets up)
You don't fix faith, River. It fixes
you.

He smiles, trying to gently take the crumpled, torn-out pages from her hand. She tugs back. They have a short tug-of-war then Book relents.

BOOK (cont'd)
Why don't you, ah, you hang on to
those then.

Why yes, I would like a soupcon of metaphysics with my Cowboys in Space, thank-you very much.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #80 on: 17 Oct 2005, 04:12 »

Maybe it's just me, but I found the movie to just be a distillation of many  other sci-fi's.
The styling of the ship seemed to scream "Matrix!" and it shitted me.
The storyline by itself seemed incredibly cliche - bunch of mismatched folk on a spaceship, a passenger on the run from the law and with special powers to boot...
People said that the movie was designed to suit both fans of Firefly and people who'd never seen it before, but I just found it all kind of bland and nothing that I haven't seen before.

Don't think that I'm saying you all have shitty taste in movies - I'm a massive Potter geek and I liked the movies, but I wondered how the people who'd never read Potter before would understand it all. Much a muchness, right? :)

Katori

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #81 on: 01 Jan 2006, 17:52 »

Ahh, so there already is a thread about Firely and such. I must say stuff about Serenity cuz i feel like it.
I dont know why people seem to be saying stuff about how serenity was not that good and thats their opinion. I thought it had all the goodness the show had, in movie form. Some characters had to be placed in the backround, and some had more focus that usual. I mean, the storyline was actually for future episodes that joss didnt get the chance to make, so they didnt just randomly kill of characters. The begining kind of threw me off with Simon getting River but once we where treated to that no cut long shot (such a great thing to a somewhat movie maker like me) it felt like the good ole serenity and such. Now take it, i had never seen the show before i saw the movie, really the movie is what got me hooked on the show.
But by movie standards, i thought it was great too, with everyone trying to have these philosophy filled, techno babble sci fi movies its nice to see a refreshing take on classic sci fi fun. I didnt see anything as Cliche as i have heard people say, it kept me entertained from the begining to the end, and thats really the most important thing. Entertained enough to put it tied as #1 movie of the year in my list, and after watching the series, it just got better. and to add, i love the writing in the movies, and its not just Joss fanship, i never really liked his other shows, buffy was ok for a while, and ANgel i never really got into. But Firefly, is my favorite show..too bad its not on.
So there's my words.

Mnementh

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #82 on: 02 Jan 2006, 20:42 »

I love both firefly and serenity.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #83 on: 02 Jan 2006, 22:42 »

Ever since I saw that comic I've had the overwhelming urge to make a "KILL ZOMBIE WASH" shirt
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Bunnyman

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #84 on: 03 Jan 2006, 00:51 »

Serenity fanboys remind me why I stopped being a Fallout fanboy.

That is all.

Alyxz

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #85 on: 03 Jan 2006, 01:26 »

Just got the dvd.

background for me: I never saw the series.  Still have not seen it.

I am a bit of a sci-fi fan though.  After watching this I can say this: If you like Sci-fi movies (stargate/star trek...) this movie is for you.  Good stuff.  

next for me is the firefly dvds.

as for sequels: I'd say it's likely.  Consider the fact that even cheaper by the dozen gets a sequel in todays movie market.  This one didn't do so well in the theaters maybe, but expect it's DVD fan base to grow fruitfull and multiply.

Keep in mind it's sci fi.  They ussually do well in theaters only if A) the director is steven spielberg, B) it's part of an already HUGE well known plot (star trek, star wars, a popular video game, one of Asimovs most famous books, something by a guy who has a whole freaking religion based on his writing), or B) is tron (wtf happened here?)

Word of mouth is the bread and butter of new sci-fi, and this is relatively new.  I know I'm often hesitant to bother with new sci-fi until I get some sort of confirmation from trusted geeks that it's worth the bother (the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head were Stargate...cause they mixed Sci-fi and egypt and thats the two great tastes that taste great together...and Sliders).

My prediciton: cult following grows.  Any follow-up if it's in English brings in more on opening weekend than this got in it's whole run in theaters.

thesonglessbird

serenity / firefly.
« Reply #86 on: 04 Jan 2006, 19:28 »

I got Firefly on DVD after my friend kept saying how good it was.

He was right, but I was hugely disappointed by it's lack of a proper ending (fair enough, it was cancelled, but I was still disappointed).

So I  downloaded Serenity (not out over here on DVD til Feb. I shall be buying it) and it pretty much tied things up. Although it was a great film, it still didn't answer all my questions about Blue Sun. I would've preferred a saga of films. They could've had another Star Wars on their hands then.

One thing that confused me; in Firefly, Simon said he paid for an underground group to get River out of where she was being kept and into the cryo-box thing. But in Serenity, we see Simon breaking her out.

But overall, yay.

chupones

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • A mystery wrapped in an enigma stuck in suburbia.
serenity / firefly.
« Reply #87 on: 04 Apr 2006, 21:42 »

Quote from: thesonglessbird

One thing that confused me; in Firefly, Simon said he paid for an underground group to get River out of where she was being kept and into the cryo-box thing. But in Serenity, we see Simon breaking her out.

Simon was assisted by an underground group - the ones that picked him up in the shaft. It is assumed that soon after, they put River in the cryo-box.
I may not be a Flintstone, but I'll certainly make your bed rock. - Phil Ken Sebben
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up